Home
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
I'm looking at getting a cordless battery powered chainsaw. It will be used to cut up fallen limbs at my residence and for cutting paths and shooting lanes at my hunting spot. Right now I'm eyeballing the 60 volt Dewalt. Anyone have any experience with battery powered chainsaws?

Ron
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Echo had a really good review, no personal experience with. After my Stihl gasser dies I'll go that route. May be a while.
Posted By: rayporter Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBZt8m1XkQ

my dewalt cuts way over its pay grade.

Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
If I could find one not made by the pughin communists I would buy it.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
My Milwaukee is nice for just that, a small limb here and there a little trim here and there but it is just like my Milwaukee weed eater is great for a little homeowner use but big jobs demand power of a gas one
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Our 12" DeWalt does what we need. Having said that, I don't see how you could go wrong with a Stile.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
My wife really likes her Stihl cordless.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
With power tools, the only one I don't like is Ryobi.
Some folks like them, ? To each his own.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
I have an 80v Kobalt from Lowes. It cuts as well as a friend's Dewalt. The Kobalt charger is a quick type, 30 min while his Dewalt takes closer to 1 hr.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
This one.

https://www.rcpw.com/equipment/echo...Dwfuq7wIVlMDICh3uRQiTEAQYASABEgIkE_D_BwE
Posted By: tzone Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Mine is cordless. Runs on gas.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
The guy who calls his youtube videos "Project Farm" has done some electric chainsaw reviews that seem well thought out and well done.

The battery powered chainsaw that he says that he likes the best out of those that he has tested is the Echo CCS-58V4AH
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Check the amp hrs on the batteries. My Kobalt only has 2ah. That's low compared to some of the others. Larger batteries are available but quite expensive.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Do you own any other power tools, or plan on buying any. I would go with the brand you own. All of my stuff is Milwaukee and I have had excellent results with all of their chainsaws. They cut outside the pay grade. I have the 16" 18 volt and the polesaw that interchanges with string trimmer and lawn edger. I just bought there 12 volt hatchet model which is a 8" chainsaw and its awesome for its size. I've taken down 12" poplars with it to clear shooting lanes when I don't want to drag a chainsaw in the woods or use a hand saw. And its quiet.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
I have a B&D chainsaw and also a pole saw which is really about the same thing on a pole. The 20V leaves a lot to be desired as a chainsaw, but the concept is great. I probably use a chain saw 20 times a year, about 17 of those its some job so small its not worth firing up one of the gassers and the little B&D gets me by.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
I have a lot of the Ryobi 18V cordless tools. The only one I don't like is the chainsaw. It doesn't generate enough RPMs in my opinion, so with smaller/lighter weight limbs, it bounces rather than cuts. I know that's not a recommendation, but it is a caution that RPMs matter.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have an 80v Kobalt from Lowes. It cuts as well as a friend's Dewalt. The Kobalt charger is a quick type, 30 min while his Dewalt takes closer to 1 hr.

This.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
My cordless is a Husqy 372XP 34 in full comp chain. Battery lasts forever.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
Milwaukee M18 saw and pole saw are on my wish list. The variety of M12 / M18 tools is huge.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
I have a Husky battery powered.It has a 14" bar and a charge lasts about 2 hours of continuous running.Cuts better then my 16" gasser.Only weighs about 6 pounds.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/12/21
I'm all gas on chainsaws, but a coarse blade in a battery powered sawzall makes quick work on small stuff.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/15/21
Homelite made a battery powered kit with a chainsaw, hedge trimmer and weed eater. The batteries that came with it were not worth a chit but I found Ryobi 18v batteries worked. Sixteen years later I'm still using the chainsaw a nd hedge trimmer (someone stole the weed eater) I clean my shooting lanes with them every year and have cut saplings up to 4 inches in diameter with the saw
Posted By: tzone Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My cordless is a Husqy 372XP 34 in full comp chain. Battery lasts forever.

How do you like that saw?
Posted By: basdjs Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This.

Yep. I use the Kobalt 80v chainsaw, and, also grass trimmer with hedge trimmer & pole saw attachments. They all work great. I have no need or desire to go back to gas saws and trimmers.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I'm looking at getting a cordless battery powered chainsaw. It will be used to cut up fallen limbs at my residence and for cutting paths and shooting lanes at my hunting spot. Right now I'm eyeballing the 60 volt Dewalt. Anyone have any experience with battery powered chainsaws?

Ron

I bought and use a Ryobi 18volt Pole saw with the extension if you need extra length. It has the 8” blade.

I’ve used it a lot around my place and at the deer lease. I really like it.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'm all gas on chainsaws, but a coarse blade in a battery powered sawzall makes quick work on small stuff.

To include deer processing. Never leave home without it.
Posted By: 240NMC Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
I just got the Stihl battery saw for light duty cutting. They only have 12 inch bars but for so far it works for me. Nice for cutting shooting lanes etc... I got tired of not having the gas saw ready to go as I don’t use if much and always dealt with fuel issues. The eGo got good reviews but I already had three Stihl batteries fro the blower, trimmer, and mower so it was a an easy choice. Trying to keep batteries simple with only going with Stihl and Dewalt (New Craftsman same batteries).
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
To answer your question without going off track....................I bought an Echo battery saw over 4 years ago and use it often. It is my go to saw for smaller jobs, On average the battery seems to last for about 30 minutes of cutting which is fine. We both seem to run out of "gas" about the same time.

If the job is mainly cutting up 3 inch limbs or smaller my go to is a Dewalt battery reciprocating saw with a coarse blade.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
Current chain saw inventory: 50 yo Homelite 150 Automatic 14"; MS250 Stihl 16"; new Poulan Pro 18"; McCulloch 14" 120V and a DeWalt 20V 12". They all cut wood, some better than others. Haven't used the old Homelite lately, need to make a new cork gasket for the fuel cap.

Stihl gets most of the work in the woods, although I cut up enough wood with the 20V DeWalt last year, for cabin firewood in deer season. Mostly dead apple from 4 to 8 inches. 18 yo Stihl was on the fritz and didn't make the trip to camp in deer season. The 20V DeWalt was a gift, also came with a hedge trimmer. I like the little critter so far? Handy for small jobs around home and cabin.

The 120V Mac stays at camp, can cut up wood I fetch back to the cabin, where there's electricity. It was free from a customer years ago. Only thing wrong with it, sumbitch throws bar oil like a field sprayer.

Got another Poulan Pro because I had one years ago as a spare to the Stihl, eventually gave it to a farm boy cousin. He finally killed it after about 10 years. Got another $200 one, because he had the Poulan case and a half dozen chains I gave him.

I burn from 3 to 4 cords of firewood a year at home. Most of that was handled with the Stihl. I've done up to 24" red and white oak with it over the years, along with some ash and locust. Finally have a local source for ethanol-free gas, so that's all the Stihl gets now.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cordless chainsaw - 03/16/21
Away from home? It's simple to install a 1000w inverter to recharge saw batteries in the woods. If you want to plug it into your trailer light plug, make sure you have a large enough wire and fuse to the hot prong on the plug to handle the amps. You might need to beef up the ground wire, too.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Cordless chainsaw - 04/03/21
Hey Bristoe, Thanks for the recommendation. My Echo 58V arrived today.

Ron
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Cordless chainsaw - 04/03/21
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Ron
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Cordless chainsaw - 04/03/21

Ron

I think you'll like it. As mentioned, it takes a .043 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain.

After using mine for a while I put a .050 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain on it. It's fits the groove in the bar pretty tight at first, but it runs in after a few seconds.

You can also buy a .050 gauge bar for it and that's what I'll do soon.

This guy puts an 18", 50 gauge bar on his.

Posted By: BobBrown Re: Cordless chainsaw - 04/03/21
#BambooKiller
Posted By: 673 Re: Cordless chainsaw - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Ron

I think you'll like it. As mentioned, it takes a .043 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain.

After using mine for a while I put a .050 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain on it. It's fits the groove in the bar pretty tight at first, but it runs in after a few seconds.

Bristoe
As an aside....With a gas powered saw when your bar starts getting worn out it starts to cut circles, that's when a guy can put
a thicker chain on to take up the bar groove making it cut straight again.
I see no difference with a battery saw.
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Ron

Bristoe
As an aside....With a gas powered saw when your bar starts getting worn out it starts to cut circles, that's when a guy can put
a thicker chain on to take up the bar groove making it cut straight again.
I see no difference with a battery saw.

Mine walks around a bit when the chain starts getting dull. But it's probably time for a new bar too. I'll put a 50 gauge bar on it when I replace it. As mentioned, I'm already running a 50 gauge chain in the original .043 gauge bar.

The saw has plenty of torque to run a .050 gauge chain. The company should put a .050 gauge bar on them to start with in my opinion. But the .043 chain will do the job, also. It's just that a .050 gauge setup is better.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Cordless chainsaw - 04/03/21
My bud has a Stihl, 54 volt that is impressive, spendy tho
Here's a comparison video which includes the Echo 58V and the Stihl. Overall, the Echo either ties or beats all of them,..including the Stihl,..which is an $800 saw. The Stihl has the fastest sprocket speed, but it doesn't have the torque to enable it to cut as fast as the Echo.

Echo 58V, $339 (including battery and charger)

Stihl 220C, $815 (including the biggest battery available and a charger)

The Echo cuts much faster.

© 24hourcampfire