Home
https://bowduploaders.com/

Just got my first UTV, a Honda Pioneer 1000. Looks like this setup would make quick work of loading a deer. Anyone here used one? Opinions?
I saw a rig like that on a yellow avalanche awhile back
I had a rear winch on a Dodge power wagon and was surprised how handy that came in...Not sure if it would be worth the bucks for my Rhino tho..I do carry a small come a long for stuff like that..

Jaycođź‘Ť
I use a Warn drill powered winch, 500lb capacity attached with a strap to my roll bar on my Pioneer. Makes it easy for an old man to drag deer and hogs into the tilt bed and was quite affordable. About $150.00 as I recall.
Originally Posted by badger
I use a Warn drill powered winch, 500lb capacity attached with a strap to my roll bar on my Pioneer. Makes it easy for an old man to drag deer and hogs into the tilt bed and was quite affordable. About $150.00 as I recall.

That sounds interesting. Happen to have a link to the winch you use? Pics of your setup?
I've also considered just getting an inexpensive 2000lb winch from Amazon and mounting it in the bed myself. Anyone ever done that?
I have a cheap harbor freight one mounted to a 2” receiver hitch carry it in a cheap box
Originally Posted by IA_fog
I have a cheap harbor freight one mounted to a 2” receiver hitch carry it in a cheap box

Appreciate the info. That might work if I just needed a general purpose rear winch, but I don't think that would help me drag a deer up into the bed.
Nope built my own before these ever come out to load deer with!
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by badger

That sounds interesting. Happen to have a link to the winch you use? Pics of your setup?

Looks like Warn has discontinued the 500lb version. Amazon offers a 750lb for $189.00.

WARN 101570 Handheld Portable Drill Winch with 40 Foot Steel Wire Rope: 750 lb Pulling Capacity

Enter that in your search bar on Amazon. I don’t see a share link on my iPad from the Amazon page. I used a 12” tie down strap with eyelets wrapped around my roll bar to hang it when I need it.
We have the cheap harbor freight unit, mounted on 3 Gators, 3 four wheelers, 4 pickup trucks. Gator was the first and it still runs fine after 15 years or so. Hate to think how many deer it has loaded. Of course a doe down here is 100 lb and big buck is 200. You boys up north, with bigger deer might have an issue. Only problem we have had is the cable occasionally getting outside the guides, which can lead to some serious pulling and some new words to get back in place. Actually caused by operator error so not the winches fault. For old, fat guys like us, it is the way to go.
We have the cheap harbor freight unit, mounted on 3 Gators, 3 four wheelers, 4 pickup trucks. Gator was the first and it still runs fine after 15 years or so. Hate to think how many deer it has loaded. Of course a doe down here is 100 lb and big buck is 200. You boys up north, with bigger deer might have an issue. Only problem we have had is the cable occasionally getting outside the guides, which can lead to some serious pulling and some new words to get back in place. Actually caused by operator error so not the winches fault. For old, fat guys like us, it is the way to go. Total cost for winch and mounting plate is around $60, so cheap enough to try.
I mounted a boat crank winch on the bed of my ranger.

Works good enough.

Loaded deer and pigs no problem.
I have a Simpson capstan winch that I use for loading elk in our trucks, mule and even onto a sled deck. Knowing how to rig to reduce drag is important.

On my last rig I used a 2" receiver and mounted it in the rear by the axle and on the roll cage. I like the advantage of being up on the highest point. When it's up high, simply tilt the bed and even a whole elk will slide in the bed of a ranger with a lift.

I've pulled elk up the ramp on my sled deck with the Simpson. That capstan is my favorite tool for the woods.....ever.
With the placement of one or two pulleys one can easily utilize a front mounted winch . My Honda Pioneer 500 only requires one pulley hung from the roll bar.
Winching from an open bed? what could go wrong?....nothing........
I have the 2" receiver mount, paid $30 for it, and then I have a 2500lb winch.

I've actually been looking for a cheap 3500lb , seen a few on amazon for around $120, one even has a wireless remote.
Originally Posted by wldthg
With the placement of one or two pulleys one can easily utilize a front mounted winch . My Honda Pioneer 500 only requires one pulley hung from the roll bar.

That's what I do. 3500lb winch with kevlar line and a small snatch block does it all.
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have a Simpson capstan winch that I use for loading elk in our trucks, mule and even onto a sled deck. Knowing how to rig to reduce drag is important.

On my last rig I used a 2" receiver and mounted it in the rear by the axle and on the roll cage. I like the advantage of being up on the highest point. When it's up high, simply tilt the bed and even a whole elk will slide in the bed of a ranger with a lift.

I've pulled elk up the ramp on my sled deck with the Simpson. That capstan is my favorite tool for the woods.....ever.

This and 250' of bull rope.
What I did 20 years ago was make a removable mount on front and back with 12 V plug at both places keep the winch mounted on the front but if needed can be removed and mounted on the back.......
most folks just used their installed front winch, throw the winch cable back over roof, pull the deer up.
Redneck version;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by killerv
most folks just used their installed front winch, throw the winch cable back over roof, pull the deer up.

I was thinking with the roof there should be a pretty simple way to do that.
© 24hourcampfire