Home
Posted By: Quak Boot advice - 03/15/21
Genitalmen

Need some advice for a quality hiking boot. I’m young enough that I’ve always been able to strap anything to my feet and deal with it. This past year as I approach 40 I’ve had two stress fractures as a result of cheap worn out boots and an active lifestyle

What I need is a quality waterproof boot that is good on uneven surfaces, comfortable AND durable. Use would be scouting/hiking and shed hunting. I may wear them to my heated blinds in cold but insulated is not a requirement. I’ve got bunny boots for the real cold stuff up here

Not sure if Merrells or keen are any good...they look like junk but I’m no expert.

Price is no concern. Fwiw my feet are a 13ee so pretty big and wide
Posted By: Quak Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Almost forgot...nothing Chinese
Posted By: dale06 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Crispi makes very good boots. Not cheap though, $350 plus. I’m hard on boots but have used the Crispi GTX Colorado for several years. I’ve tried most of the major brands. These work the best for my feet.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
this last pair of merrels i have are not as good as the set i got about 5-7 years ago. but i would at least check them out. make sure that there is a tongue gusset all the way. this pair does not have it and they leak. hard to believe they would make "waterproof" hiking boots without one.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by Quak
Genitalmen

Need some advice for a quality hiking boot. I’m young enough that I’ve always been able to strap anything to my feet and deal with it. This past year as I approach 40 I’ve had two stress fractures as a result of cheap worn out boots and an active lifestyle

What I need is a quality waterproof boot that is good on uneven surfaces, comfortable AND durable. Use would be scouting/hiking and shed hunting. I may wear them to my heated blinds in cold but insulated is not a requirement. I’ve got bunny boots for the real cold stuff up here

Not sure if Merrells or keen are any good...they look like junk but I’m no expert.

Here's some good advice on boots.
Don't start your post with a pair of Merrels in your mouth
Don’t get it
Posted By: smokepole Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
I've been partial to Lowa Renegades for the past few years. Not a stiff boot but a good hiking boot and very comfortable. Good durability and water repellency, and a good price point.

I just got my son a pair of Crispis and they look like good boots, he likes them a lot.
Don’t get it

You misspelled gentlemen.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
I have some Keen hiking boots I forget which model it might be the the Durand? That have been good.

I wear a 13 EE to EEEE also and they have been comfortable over a lot of miles and a few years. There not truly waterproof, I where my Lacrosse Alpha Burleys for that but they’re water resistant enough that wet grass, mud, and minor puddles have never made my feet wet. I try to buy American or at least non Chinese. I remember them being “built in America” but probably have parts sourced from China. They look more boot like but the interior is lined and almost more shoe like. They’ve been durable and comfortable over a lot of use I’ll probably buy another pair when they wear out and would recommend them.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
How supportive of the ankles are the Crispi boots in rough and rocky areas? I'm boot shopping too.
I texted my son to ask, I'll let you know what he says.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Kennetrek Hardscramble
Originally Posted by smokepole
Don’t get it

😄
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Don’t get it

Are you sure? wink
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Genitalmen

I went through the same thing last year while I was preparing for a NM elk hunt. The best advice I received was to contact Lathrop and sons. They will do custom insoles for you, BUT whether you do them or not they are a wealth of knowledge. Long story short, I ended up with 2 pairs of boots. 1 pair of lathrop and sons mountain hunters and 1 pair of Lowa Caminos. Both were expensive but both are outstanding boots. I also have a pair of made in USA Danners. Also outstanding boots. I don't buy Chinese or Japanese or anything from the "Pacific rim" if I can avoid it either!!!
Originally Posted by Jim1611
How supportive of the ankles are the Crispi boots in rough and rocky areas? I'm boot shopping too.

Jim,

What are your requirements?

Ie.
Can the benefits of a more supportive pair outweigh that of lightweights and goretex?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Don’t get it

Are you sure? wink

Not all gentlemen are genitalmen. I'm a breast man, myself.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Crap...I misread the title and thought it was "boat advice". It's spring here.
Don’t get it

No i didn't

Genital-men. In reference to penises and vaginas

Are you a dick?
Yes...I am. When it comes to norway rats I'm a total vag LOL
Boat advice...dont buy one. Trust me...i live on a lake
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Boat advice...dont buy one. Trust me...i live on a lake

Good advice. I'm in one almost every day.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Kennetreck Mountain Extremes are absolutely with out a doubt the best thing I've ever had on my feet.
From Arizona to Idaho and the coastal mountains, nothing has felt or performed better in a boot.

https://kenetrek.com/collections/mountain-boots
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Thorogood. Best boots I've ever owned.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Jim,

Ie.
Can the benefits of a more supportive pair outweigh that of lightweights and goretex?

I wear a size 11 EEE is I can find them that wide. I recently have been dealing with plantar fasciitis and am wearing some arch support and insoles that made my Danners fit too tight, even after being stretched. So I want a roomy boot and one that works well in elk country. Waterproof would be great and I don't mind a little extra weight that comes with leather boots like Danners. Right now I'm thinking having boots made to fit me might work best.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Asolo brand works for me. Every time I try something else I always regret it. Salomon work pretty well for me too, but I like my Asolo boots better.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Kennetreck Mountain Extremes are absolutely with out a doubt the best thing I've ever had on my feet.
From Arizona to Idaho and the coastal mountains, nothing has felt or performed better in a boot.

Sal,

do they make a 6" boot?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
I like when they feel good and are genital on my feet .
Posted By: ssgtbatch Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
i have Kenetreks and zamberlins. Both are good boots and will buy them again. I've tried keens and didn't like them at all. It all depends on what is comfortable to you.
Posted By: antlers Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by ssgtbatch
It all depends on what is comfortable to you.
Yep. I like hiking shoes myself. Nothing above the ankle.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Crispi makes a great boot and yes they have a 6” boot.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
I have something like 8 different pairs of boots, all for different uses.

For mostly dry hiking, White's Smokejumpers are freaking awesome, especially for odd shaped feet (they're custom made base on measurements of your foot). They're all leather, so they require maintenance, and will never be truly waterproof. They will last a lifetime, being fully rebuildable, and are made in Spokane, WA.

For in-between general hiking, I have a pair of Zamberlain GTX's. They're uber comfortable, somewhat waterproof, and great for rough terrain. They're a molded sole, and won't last as long as great handmade leather.

For cold work, I have a pair of Keen Philadelphia's with 800 gr thinsulate and non-metallic safety toe... awesome ice traction, mostly waterproof, and warm enough for -40 snowshoeing in Alaska (I have to snowshoe into communications sites often in the winter).

For coldest use- bunnys... you know them.

For summer to mild cold water/mud- XtraTuffs. Great traction on wet surfaces, obviously waterproof, and durable enough for 3-5 years a pair (still not as good as the old made in USA ones)- I've hiked in excess of 10 miles at a time in them, not great, but not horrible.

I have several more pairs of Whites for general daily wear and work, but the above are most apropos to your question.

I've suffered for years with crappy military boots killing my feet, so I don't screw around with boots anymore.

Merrells are crap. Went through a pair every 6-12 months for a few years before breaking down and spending money for decent boots.

Jim,

Ie.

I wear a size 11 EEE is I can find them that wide. I recently have been dealing with plantar fasciitis and am wearing some arch support and insoles that made my Danners fit too tight, even after being stretched. So I want a roomy boot and one that works well in elk country. Waterproof would be great and I don't mind a little extra weight that comes with leather boots like Danners. Right now I'm thinking having boots made to fit me might work best.

I wear your size, but 10.5 sometimes fits based on brand. My wide feet always made boot fit tricky too.

There's lots of good choices, but it takes so much time and money for trial/ error. If you have a cobbler or orthopedics guy that really knows his stuff, the extra $ might be worth it. (?)
I have lightweight goretex low cut wolverines for warm season low mileage, good but nothing too special.
For rough terrain, little or no snow, medium mileage I always prefer designated high quality hiking boots with a polypropylene or silk liner and wool socks. After going through the standard name brands that I only got some basic mileage worth before they became work boots. Then my favorite became Alico full leather uppers with full lug grippie Vibram soles. They are sewn on and replaceable soles if they ever wear out.
Priced better than other high end boots when on sale.

Italian made
Calf skin leather liners
Stable on rough trails, but not so high to restrict movement or add unnecessary weight. Just above the ankles a couple inches.
4 row Brass D eyelets with quick lace topside.
Not waterproof, so they breath well. However, repellency it varies on boot conditioner used.
My Alicos are far superior to some high end Peter Limmers, which have an excellent reputation too.
Not bragging, just found an excellent comfortable hiker that offers enough support when carrying a meat pack.

I wear 11EEE dress shoes. These 10.5 mediums fit surprisingly perfect with normal weight socks. YMMV.
It must be getting late because I'm rambling.
Anyhow, everyone's feet are different. If you remind me, I'll post it tomorrow.

Best on your search and challenge,

HC
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21

Jim,

Ie.

Anything outweighs Goretex in my opinion. All Goretex has done for me is make me feel like wearing a plastic bread bag over my feet while still not being truly waterproof.
Posted By: wdenike Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Surprised no one mentioned Hoffman boots out of Idaho.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: yukon254 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
If money isnt an issue, get a pair of custom Limmers and never look back. Made in the USA too. I've worn out just about every brand out there over the years guiding. Bought a pair of Limmer's about 10-years ago and they still go to the mountains every fall.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Jim,

Ie.

Anything outweighs Goretex in my opinion. All Goretex has done for me is make me feel like wearing a plastic bread bag over my feet while still not being truly waterproof.

It limits my wolverines usefulness too.
Low mileage or stand use is all I find it good for too. Feet sweat and boots get wet. Everything is give and take. I ike merino wool socks and leather. Feet are comfortable and the boots eventually dry or at least breath until you get home.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Is there such a thing as "not made in China" anymore?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
I am convinced that a person's gait, or strut, or whatever you want to call in addition to how their feet/ankles/legs are built are all unique. That is why some otherwise quality boots fall apart easily for some, but not others. I won't touch any model Kennetrek as they won't last a single season for me. Others feel the same way about Lowa, which are the only brand I have tried that will last me more than one season. They have the ankle support I need and stand up to the basalt rocks of Idaho's chukar country. I guess that is my way of saying: you have to try them all to really figure out what works best for you.
Posted By: Elkliver Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
HANWAG!!! all day long every day!! Great boots

Crispis are okay also
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Yer damn tootin'. USA all the way. Having worked outdoors, construction, logging, my whole life...work boots ARE hiking boots and Thorogoods are worth every penny. Break in? Lace 'em up and go to work, done deal. Unlike these brand name plastic pussy boots, Thorogoods are rebuildable by the factory. As far as I am concerned, these 'special' hiking boots, hunting boots is a total yuppie crock of schidt.
Posted By: RAS Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by dale06
Crispi makes very good boots. Not cheap though, $350 plus. I’m hard on boots but have used the Crispi GTX Colorado for several years. I’ve tried most of the major brands. These work the best for my feet.

+1

If you are really going to be hiking back, go with the best boot you can buy.

For me, it’s Crispi.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Just ordered a pair of Kenetrek's new Corrie to try out. $275.00 My Lowa Renegades died a hard death, Still have my Tibet GTX's and Sheep Hunters.
having not heard of this crispi brand i just checked out their website. A little too flat brim and newly bearded bro for me. Reminds me of the fly fishing D bags that have taken over that sport.

Any idea where these things are made? Actually made in italy?
For Field Grade Charlie......................

Stihl.
Not knocking the crispis...but just curious if the juice is worth the squeeze as they say. They are not cheap
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Not knocking the crispis...but just curious if the juice is worth the squeeze as they say. They are not cheap

Not knocking them either, but if you're going to pay +$400 for boots, they better be re-buildable.

Lots of custom boots that are great, once you've gone through the trouble of getting the first pair (measurements and all), it's easier to stay with the same brand, since you can just buy more (if wanted), and they have your information on file.

White's

Nick's

Wesco's

Russell's,

etc.

lots of great boots out there.
Posted By: shootAI Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Sal,

do they make a 6" boot?

Yes. Hardscrabbles is the model
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21

Here’s how I settled on Crispi’s.. In the ensuing 17 months, I’ve been nothing but thrilled with them. I dunno about the models on their website these days, but the boots are definitely the real deal. Some of the hardest-core hunters on this forum use them.

Now it may well be that you don’t need something this high-end for what you’re looking to do. It only makes sense to match the equipment to the job at hand.

In my case, I bought them with an eye on a future sheep hunt. It’s possible I’ll wear these out before I’m able to actually get around to it. If that happens, I’ll replace ‘em with the same boots.

Whatever you choose, get all of your contenders on your feet, so you can choose wisely.

FC
Posted By: MM879 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
The Keen is the worst, worst, boot I've ever owned. They will be a high priced fire.

My son has Crispi Nevadas. He says the ankle support is very good.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Hoka Kaja Goretex
Posted By: driggy Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
If you are looking for a Merrel/Keen style boot, I highly recommend Oboz. Scheels is the place I get mine. They cost slightly more, but are really comfortable.
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Take a look at Salewa. I have the MS Crow GTX. A firm but very comfortable boot. Mine are only 2 years old but they have worn very well.

https://www.salewa.com/en-us/f/men-mountain-footwear

https://www.salewa.com/en-us/ms-crow-gtx-00-0000061328?c=1518271
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by K1500
Asolo brand works for me. Every time I try something else I always regret it. Salomon work pretty well for me too, but I like my Asolo boots better.

Another endorsement for Asolo; been wearing then for 25-30 years.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
My favorites are Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter, and Hanwag Alaskan GTX. With both I use Lathrop & Sons insoles, which are great. These are my primary hunting boots.

I have two pairs of White’s custom Packers, the newest of which is 33 years old and going strong. They are also good in tough country, especially horseback hunting. While a bit dated and heavy, they are hell for stout and have great support.

Friends whose opinions are rooted in heavy experience who I trust are happy with Kennetreks; I’ve not had any.

I do not like insulated boots, unless I’m mostly inactive in single digit cold and snow. For this, I use Danner Canadians.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
I put lots of miles on my Salomon Quest hiking boots, all kinds of terrain, dry feet every time.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Boot advice - 03/15/21
Hoffmans Explorer hands down. Didn't like Crispis, Kenetreks were ok.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Boot advice - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Crap...I misread the title and thought it was "boat advice". It's spring here.

my advice to you: buy another one
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Boot advice - 03/16/21
Tag
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Boot advice - 03/16/21
having not heard of this crispi brand i just checked out their website. A little too flat brim and newly bearded bro for me. Reminds me of the fly fishing D bags that have taken over that sport.

Any idea where these things are made? Actually made in italy?

That's a lousy reason to not try them. If they fit and are comfortable, who the $#@^ cares if the flat brim bro's are wearing them. Crispi makes a great boot, as do many others.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Boot advice - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Yer damn tootin'. USA all the way. Having worked outdoors, construction, logging, my whole life...work boots ARE hiking boots and Thorogoods are worth every penny. Break in? Lace 'em up and go to work, done deal. Unlike these brand name plastic pussy boots, Thorogoods are rebuildable by the factory. As far as I am concerned, these 'special' hiking boots, hunting boots is a total yuppie crock of schidt.

I'm a huge fan of their American heritage series which are marketed as work boots. I buy them even though they are made by American union members who probably vote democrat. I wear the 8 inch plain toe/wedge sole model and would hike anywhere around here in them. They are NOT lined, NOT waterproof, but very breathable which works well for me in our moderate to hot as hell climate. I believe they do make waterproof versions.

Not all Thorogood boots are American made. They also sell "plastic pussy boots" that are imported. laugh
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Boot advice - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Jim,

Ie.

Antiperspirant spray is your best friend... use it early and often leading up to heavy boot use times. It makes a huge difference for most people.
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Boot advice - 03/16/21
Surprised nobody has said Schnees. I have tried a bunch of boots and use them hard (elk, mule deer, antelope, whitetail, pheasant hunting). Schnees are built to last and mine have performed fantastic. Six of my friends have bought them after they have seen mine and they all love them too. Great customer service as well.
© 24hourcampfire