Q
Boat advice...dont buy one. Trust me...i live on a lake

GOD Bless America
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Quak
Boat advice...dont buy one. Trust me...i live on a lake

Good advice. I'm in one almost every day.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kennetreck Mountain Extremes are absolutely with out a doubt the best thing I've ever had on my feet.
From Arizona to Idaho and the coastal mountains, nothing has felt or performed better in a boot.

https://kenetrek.com/collections/mountain-boots

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thorogood. Best boots I've ever owned.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Jim1611
How supportive of the ankles are the Crispi boots in rough and rocky areas? I'm boot shopping too.

Jim,

What are your requirements?

Ie.
Can the benefits of a more supportive pair outweigh that of lightweights and goretex?

I wear a size 11 EEE is I can find them that wide. I recently have been dealing with plantar fasciitis and am wearing some arch support and insoles that made my Danners fit too tight, even after being stretched. So I want a roomy boot and one that works well in elk country. Waterproof would be great and I don't mind a little extra weight that comes with leather boots like Danners. Right now I'm thinking having boots made to fit me might work best.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Asolo brand works for me. Every time I try something else I always regret it. Salomon work pretty well for me too, but I like my Asolo boots better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Kennetreck Mountain Extremes are absolutely with out a doubt the best thing I've ever had on my feet.
From Arizona to Idaho and the coastal mountains, nothing has felt or performed better in a boot.

https://kenetrek.com/collections/mountain-boots

Sal,

do they make a 6" boot?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like when they feel good and are genital on my feet .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i have Kenetreks and zamberlins. Both are good boots and will buy them again. I've tried keens and didn't like them at all. It all depends on what is comfortable to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ssgtbatch
It all depends on what is comfortable to you.
Yep. I like hiking shoes myself. Nothing above the ankle.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Crispi makes a great boot and yes they have a 6” boot.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have something like 8 different pairs of boots, all for different uses.

For mostly dry hiking, White's Smokejumpers are freaking awesome, especially for odd shaped feet (they're custom made base on measurements of your foot). They're all leather, so they require maintenance, and will never be truly waterproof. They will last a lifetime, being fully rebuildable, and are made in Spokane, WA.

For in-between general hiking, I have a pair of Zamberlain GTX's. They're uber comfortable, somewhat waterproof, and great for rough terrain. They're a molded sole, and won't last as long as great handmade leather.

For cold work, I have a pair of Keen Philadelphia's with 800 gr thinsulate and non-metallic safety toe... awesome ice traction, mostly waterproof, and warm enough for -40 snowshoeing in Alaska (I have to snowshoe into communications sites often in the winter).

For coldest use- bunnys... you know them.

For summer to mild cold water/mud- XtraTuffs. Great traction on wet surfaces, obviously waterproof, and durable enough for 3-5 years a pair (still not as good as the old made in USA ones)- I've hiked in excess of 10 miles at a time in them, not great, but not horrible.

I have several more pairs of Whites for general daily wear and work, but the above are most apropos to your question.

I've suffered for years with crappy military boots killing my feet, so I don't screw around with boots anymore.

Merrells are crap. Went through a pair every 6-12 months for a few years before breaking down and spending money for decent boots.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How supportive of the ankles are the Crispi boots in rough and rocky areas? I'm boot shopping too.

Jim,

Ie.
Can the benefits of a more supportive pair outweigh that of lightweights and goretex?

I wear a size 11 EEE is I can find them that wide. I recently have been dealing with plantar fasciitis and am wearing some arch support and insoles that made my Danners fit too tight, even after being stretched. So I want a roomy boot and one that works well in elk country. Waterproof would be great and I don't mind a little extra weight that comes with leather boots like Danners. Right now I'm thinking having boots made to fit me might work best.

I wear your size, but 10.5 sometimes fits based on brand. My wide feet always made boot fit tricky too.

There's lots of good choices, but it takes so much time and money for trial/ error. If you have a cobbler or orthopedics guy that really knows his stuff, the extra $ might be worth it. (?)
I have lightweight goretex low cut wolverines for warm season low mileage, good but nothing too special.
For rough terrain, little or no snow, medium mileage I always prefer designated high quality hiking boots with a polypropylene or silk liner and wool socks. After going through the standard name brands that I only got some basic mileage worth before they became work boots. Then my favorite became Alico full leather uppers with full lug grippie Vibram soles. They are sewn on and replaceable soles if they ever wear out.
Priced better than other high end boots when on sale.

Italian made
Calf skin leather liners
Stable on rough trails, but not so high to restrict movement or add unnecessary weight. Just above the ankles a couple inches.
4 row Brass D eyelets with quick lace topside.
Not waterproof, so they breath well. However, repellency it varies on boot conditioner used.
My Alicos are far superior to some high end Peter Limmers, which have an excellent reputation too.
Not bragging, just found an excellent comfortable hiker that offers enough support when carrying a meat pack.

I wear 11EEE dress shoes. These 10.5 mediums fit surprisingly perfect with normal weight socks. YMMV.
It must be getting late because I'm rambling.
Anyhow, everyone's feet are different. If you remind me, I'll post it tomorrow.

Best on your search and challenge,

HC

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 03/14/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jim,

Ie.

Anything outweighs Goretex in my opinion. All Goretex has done for me is make me feel like wearing a plastic bread bag over my feet while still not being truly waterproof.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Surprised no one mentioned Hoffman boots out of Idaho.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
If money isnt an issue, get a pair of custom Limmers and never look back. Made in the USA too. I've worn out just about every brand out there over the years guiding. Bought a pair of Limmer's about 10-years ago and they still go to the mountains every fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Jim,

Ie.

Anything outweighs Goretex in my opinion. All Goretex has done for me is make me feel like wearing a plastic bread bag over my feet while still not being truly waterproof.

It limits my wolverines usefulness too.
Low mileage or stand use is all I find it good for too. Feet sweat and boots get wet. Everything is give and take. I ike merino wool socks and leather. Feet are comfortable and the boots eventually dry or at least breath until you get home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there such a thing as "not made in China" anymore?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am convinced that a person's gait, or strut, or whatever you want to call in addition to how their feet/ankles/legs are built are all unique. That is why some otherwise quality boots fall apart easily for some, but not others. I won't touch any model Kennetrek as they won't last a single season for me. Others feel the same way about Lowa, which are the only brand I have tried that will last me more than one season. They have the ankle support I need and stand up to the basalt rocks of Idaho's chukar country. I guess that is my way of saying: you have to try them all to really figure out what works best for you.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
HANWAG!!! all day long every day!! Great boots

Crispis are okay also

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 3,048 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.