Home
Posted By: jnyork Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
An elderly friend wants me to help him sell off his gun collection, which is mostly hunting stuff, nothing spectacular. He has a Ruger Mini 14 that is marked something like "restricted for law enforcement and military only". It has a flash hider and bayonet lug. I don't know much about these particular rifles and hope to find enlightenment here, what's the story on these? I checked Blue Book and Gun Broker and still dont know much more that when I started. Thanks.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21

Made during the “Assault Weapon Ban”

Probably not legal in Californification. 🤠
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
Unless it's AC556, a Mini 14 marked that way is okay.

I carried an AC556 for awhile that was marked that way, but they meant it with that one. wink
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: gregintenn Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
Probably about $800 unless it has a folding stock.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
minute of barn.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
Originally Posted by jnyork
An elderly friend wants me to help him sell off his gun collection, which is mostly hunting stuff, nothing spectacular. He has a Ruger Mini 14 that is marked something like "restricted for law enforcement and military only". It has a flash hider and bayonet lug. I don't know much about these particular rifles and hope to find enlightenment here, what's the story on these? I checked Blue Book and Gun Broker and still dont know much more that when I started. Thanks.

Could it have a fun switch on it?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
minute of barn.

Yep. I’ll never own another one Roger. Gave up on finding one that would group better than 6 inches at 100 yards.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
minute of barn.

That describes mine.
Dad had a friend who had one that would shoot little bitty clover leaf groups. No idea what all he'd done to it. He's gone now. I'd sure love to ask him.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
Shiny and make noise
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
minute of barn.

Yep. I’ll never own another one Roger. Gave up on finding one that would group better than 6 inches at 100 yards.

When was the last time you tried? They completely redesigned them with improved accuracy in mind about 20 years ago.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21

That is a Ruger Mini 14 GB model. Mine shoots 1½" or 2" groups at 100 yards with Win. .223 PSP ammo. Good enough for me.

L.W.
minute of barn.

I could shoot my open site Ruger Blackhawk 357 into smaller groups at a hundred, offhand.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
minute of barn.

When was the last time you tried? They completely redesigned them with improved accuracy in mind about 20 years ago.

about 81.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
What are the first three digits of the serial number, mid 580 is where the new barrel and better accuracy came into play. Mine shoots 1.25” groups with a reflex sight which is good enough for what I own it for. Check out the mini forum at perfectunion.com
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
minute of barn.

Or minute of zip code.
Brother has one. It was a 4” gun.
He had it rebarreled and accurized.
It’s around 1” now.
Should have bought an AR and he’d have a better gun at less cost.
minute of barn.

about 81.

Time flies. I had one back in the late 1970s. I didn't realize it was that long ago that they made the change to the heavier barrel.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

That is a Ruger Mini 14 GB model. Mine shoots 1½" or 2" groups at 100 yards with Win. .223 PSP ammo. Good enough for me.

L.W.

LW, yours is definitely a keeper!
I tried several trying to find an accurate one. Wanted a good coyote gun for the truck and tractor.
Most of them would put the first 2 shots in about a 3” group. Any 5 shot group ranged from 6 to 12 inches.

I did have one Mini 30, however, that would put the first 3 shots into a 2” group.
Originally Posted by dale06
minute of barn.

Or minute of zip code.
Brother has one. It was a 4” gun.
He had it rebarreled and accurized.
It’s around 1” now.
Should have bought an AR and he’d have a better gun at less cost.

Yep. I started shooting AR-15’s instead.

In excellent condition, his gun should easily bring $850 in today’s crazy seller’s market.
Posted By: K_P Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
minute of barn.

This has been my experience.
Posted By: erickg Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/21/21
Yeah, the 580 series, didn’t work, ask me how I know.
Originally Posted by erickg

That's it. I'm going to scope one of my Ruger Mini 14s and accuracy test it.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by erickg

Tapered barrel or straight barrel?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I've had 3. 2 were Ranch models which took Ruger rings. One of those 2, a stainless unit that I bought new in around '96 shot a couple of absolutely amazing groups with a couple of different loads one day, but when I tried to repeat those results under different conditions, they were spraying all over, producing the kind of groups that people commonly complain about.

I've seen pretty darned good accuracy out of Mini-14's, but when I finally tried an AR platform rifle, (more than a couple now) I was surprised at how common consistent, decent accuracy could be.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
JN . . . Does he have the bayonet to go with it?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
With some work from these folks https://www.accuratemini14.com/

They shoot pretty good. I got mine worked on some years ago before the prices got so high.

They did the accuracy work, I did the stock.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: FishinHank Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
minute of barn.

They made a target version. Not saying it shot any better......haha
Posted By: Quak Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Have a new 580 series mini 30. Extremely happy with it. Pics to follow
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With some work from these folks https://www.accuratemini14.com/

They shoot pretty good. I got mine worked on some years ago before the prices got so high.

They did the accuracy work, I did the stock.

DF

Impressive accuracy. My best groups were like that. My average and worst, however, were far from that.

What I noticed with mine was that the rifle appeared to be Uber-sensitive to forend and barrel pressure, leading me to believe that the gas block and forend system was a bigger concern for accuracy than anything else was. I do know that using a Harris bipod adapter and bipod had a huge affect on accuracy, with 100 yard groups looking like 15 yard buckshot patterns. Careful and deliberate plinking using a front and rear bag improved accuracy for me.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21

They are about like everything Ruger. Dig into the details: finish, ranch, folding stock . That’ll get you close then it’s how much can you sucker someone into paying.

They’ll kill a Haji sho nuff
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I have a 581 serial number with flash hider. Slick and accurate rifle. One of two SHTF rifles I have.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
minute of barn.

If you rebarreled them and tweaked em they would be ok. I love the M1A/M14 platform and like the looks of the mini but I've never wanted to put money in one and I've never seen a factory one shoot well enough for me to be interested.
Agree on gas block, forend pressure and bedding being important on these.

Accuracy systems three point bedded this one, which is a big deal. You can see 2 of the 3 screws. They put hangers in the wood, used machine screws for bedding.. And, bottom photo, their brake. Trigger job is excellent. It takes a bit longer taking it down. You don't just pop the trigger guard, gotta first remove the three bedding screws.

DF

Posted By: Stophel Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
It used to be that the Mini14 was the poor man's AR15. For a long time, the Ruger pretty much had the market to themselves. They knew about the accuracy problems, but had NO incentive to do anything about it. They had no competition. You could buy a $350 Mini 14, or a $1200 AR15 (or some other more exotic gun.. costing even more). For a long time, that was it. Now, everybody and their brother makes an AR, and the cost has come WAY down..... but the cost of the Mini has gone way up.

They finally addressed the accuracy issue with the newer heavier barreled guns. I have one, and it shoots pretty well. No vertical stringing, or slinging shots hither and yon. Many people have good success with older Minis by using a barrel strut attached to the bottom of the barrel.

I went looking around a couple of years ago to see if I could get myself an older Mini, but people were wanting as much for a used old Mini14, as for a brand new one. I'd hate to see the prices on one now. If I was going to spend so much on a rifle, I'd maybe spend just a little more and get an M-1A.
Originally Posted by rost495
minute of barn.

If you rebarreled them and tweaked em they would be ok. I love the M1A/M14 platform and like the looks of the mini but I've never wanted to put money in one and I've never seen a factory one shoot well enough for me to be interested.

Yeah, a decent AR will shoot that good for a lot less than a tricked out Mini.

But, like you, I do like the feel and handling of a Mini.

DF
Posted By: jnyork Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
JN . . . Does he have the bayonet to go with it?

I kinda doubt it but I'll ask, stranger things have happened. All he showed me was the four extra mags.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I"m a fan of the Mini. But I never really thought of it as a grouping gun. Maybe I did watch too much A-Team as a teen.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
My tactical model shoots good enough with ball ammo.

Now I wouldn’t take it prairie dog hunting, but for a homestead defensive carbine it’s fine.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Don't own one. Shot one, it's light, like an M1 Carbine that shoots flat. Makes an equipped M4 seem clunky.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Has anybody tried an Accu-Strut? If so, did it help?
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
They claim they work.
I’ve worked on the trigger and got it like I want. If I could only hit something with it, I’d friggin love it!
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Don't own one. Shot one, it's light, like an M1 Carbine that shoots flat. Makes an equipped M4 seem clunky.

Yeah they are sleek and handle well. Agree on a loaded up M4 being more clunky than a Mini.

We went from cheap Mini's and expensive AR's to Mini's costing more than some AR's. Even out of the box bargain priced AR's generally outshoot Mini's.

To get a Mini to shoot with top AR's is expensive. You really gotta like Mini's to go there.

DF
You’d be wayyyyyyy ahead if you bought a $500 AR last time they cost that much
Originally Posted by BobBrown
You’d be wayyyyyyy ahead if you bought a $500 AR last time they cost that much

Oh, I have a pile of them. They are amazingly accurate, every one. They just don’t have the looks or soul of blued steel and walnut.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I bought mine when they were priced just below an AR.

Admittedly if I could buy a $500 AR or whatever a mini costs nowadays - hell I don't even know, I'd get the AR.

A mini should be a $500 gun.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I want one really really bad.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Makes an equipped M4 seem clunky.

Take all that extraneous crap off your AR. It just gets in the way.

I bought a 10-22 magnum from a guy for $150. I got to reading about cracked frames and never fired it. A guy offered me a new in the box Ranch Rifle. Probably not the best economic decision, but now I have something I’m not afraid to shoot.
Posted By: toad Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
A 16" Mini-14 in a Samson folder is a dandy.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by toad

I had one like that in the 1970s.

You had a hell of a lot more back in the 70s
Originally Posted by BobBrown

You had a hell of a lot more back in the 70s

More hair, too.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Makes an equipped M4 seem clunky.

Take all that extraneous crap off your AR. It just gets in the way.

Is that your neighbor’s fence post?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I had a SS Mini-14 in the late 70s and early 80s.

I could throw rocks better than it shot.
Ok...here are the last three groups mine shot at 100 yards. Not hand picked...and keep in mind this is with Tula steel cased russian FMJ ammo. Cheapest crap money can buy. Gun is a 580 series mini 30 tactical with Warne QD rings and an aftermarket firing pin to accommodate the russian spec ammo. No other changes.

This has become my main hunting rifle. Used it this past year for whitetail and will use it this coming year for whitetail, black bear, and perhaps an elk if I should draw. Its short and handy, dead reliable and adequately accurate. As a long time user and collector of the M1 Garand and Carbine and the M1A I'm in love with this gun.

Attached picture IMG_7586.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7585.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7584.jpg
Pumps a 154gr sp out at 2134 avg across my choreograph with factory ammo. Not bad.

If anyone is interested ill share my 20 inch bbl 30-30 chrono data w/factory ammo. Its pretty poor in comparison and the 30-30 has been getting it done for years.

Off the muzzle to 200 yards...this is a dandy rifle. I live in the north woods and don't hunt out west...a shot over 100 yards would be very rare. This is there perfect setup for me. You could say the same for any intermediate cartridge from an AR...think 300 BLK, 6.5 grendel etc. The x39 has the benefit of cheap ammo
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Ive got a Ranch version. It shoots alright as long as your not lighting up thebworld with rapid fire. Good rifle.

Ive got one of the target versions with the heavy barrel and harmonic balancer on the muzzle and its praire dog worthy.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Ranch version works good. Control your fire. Barrel and action get hot.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I have a Mini 14 that won't shoot for schit. Don't know what series it is but the serial number starts with 183. Anyone know what series this is or when it was manufactured? The sights won't allow me to raise the point of impact nearly enough. I'd probably sell it but I don't sell guns very often, never saw the use to do so. Thanks
Posted By: hanco Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
A friend has one that is real accurate
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I have a Mini 14 that won't shoot for schit. Don't know what series it is but the serial number starts with 183. Anyone know what series this is or when it was manufactured? The sights won't allow me to raise the point of impact nearly enough. I'd probably sell it but I don't sell guns very often, never saw the use to do so. Thanks
I'm just guessing that gun came from the early 90's. That's about ten years before Ruger got them to be more accurate.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
A buddy bought a Mini-14 about 10-12 years ago because his wife wouldn’t allow an AR-15 people killing death machine in the house.
Calling it minute of barn would be kind.
He spent about a grand making it shoot to where he was satisfied.
We went out shooting one day, me with my Armalite M-15A4C and him with his tricked out Mini.
It was embarrassing for him.
My Armalite would shoot into 1” pretty much on command. His Mini shot about 1-1/2” and that was discounting his “called” flyers.
It disappeared and he hasn't spoken about it since.
This is my first mini but in my experience it shoots well enough. M4s as issued with military ammo and AKs don’t shoot any better. Truth be told my m1 and m1a doesn’t either.

Will a tricked out AR? Sure
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've had 3. 2 were Ranch models which took Ruger rings. One of those 2, a stainless unit that I bought new in around '96 shot a couple of absolutely amazing groups with a couple of different loads one day, but when I tried to repeat those results under different conditions, they were spraying all over, producing the kind of groups that people commonly complain about.

I've seen pretty darned good accuracy out of Mini-14's, but when I finally tried an AR platform rifle, (more than a couple now) I was surprised at how common consistent, decent accuracy could be.
That's the big advantage floated ARs have over lots of other designs. They shoot well from many positions, many holds. They are hold insensitive.

Lots of guns can shoot good groups from one or two perfect holds (benched just right, etc) but a great guns shoots well all the time.

To me, it doesn't matter if a gun can shoot a small group off a bench. I want to know if I can hit with it from a variety of positions.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Quak let me know if you ever want to sell your choreograph! Be Well, RZ.
Lol didn’t get it at first and went back and reread. I’ve been through a lot with that old choreograph
Posted By: ringworm Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
I've got a blued 182.
You'd be a fool to feel safe 300 yards down range.
It's not a target rifle but it'll do the trick for a lightweight ban proof semi.
I understand it's not tactical and all....doesn't collapse or have a way to drop mags on the ground...no flashlight or laser mount built into the forend.
But when 90% of people see it they don't think assault rifle.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

This. They are great rifles and there are ways to make them more accurate without breaking the bank. The new 580's are so much better than the skinny barrel versions. I bought a new barrel from ASI and put it on a Mini receiver. It's so much more accurate. Ruger ignored the Mini for way too long.

kwg
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Has anybody tried an Accu-Strut? If so, did it help?

I put one on my early (196 series) Ranch rifle. It solved the problem with groups expanding as the rifle heated up. Well worth the money. It did as much as my other mods combined. I had also bedded it, had the barrel shortened and a Choate flash hider put on it and finally, got a trigger job. It went from a 2-3 shot 1.5-3" group for the first three, followed by 6-12" groups to a consistent 1.5-2" 3-shot grouper with its favorite loads. It is my Air Force jet mech grandson's now.

My newer (581 series) shoots as well as the earlier one and all I have done to it is a trigger job. I suppose I should put a strut on it, who knows. Maybe a 3-point bedding job too. I like the platform way more than the AR. Especially for hunting.

I started with M-14's and Garands and then we went to mixed M-14's/AR's. The early ones we had in the Nam would sour a maggot. The XM16E2's (I think that is what they were called) we used for one qualification course. i worked it as a PMI on at Kaneohe Bay. They were pretty nice, reliable firearms. Even so, I still don't truly like them.

As to Ar-15's being so much more accurate than Mini's, I have experienced similar problems with some of them. I have four and a dedicated .22 LR and two of them I had to put some work into to get them under 2.5". The other two are seriously accurate. But I paid serious money for them too.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Forearm barrel clamp assembly fughing up harmonics....
And op rod spring piston assembly causing barrel flex each shot.
Pencil barrel basically.

Add heat from rapid fire adding into a already messed up combination of things....

What else could possibly be done from the factory to make them inaccurate????
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'm just guessing that gun came from the early 90's. That's about ten years before Ruger got them to be more accurate.

Okay, that's what I thought. So it was in the early 2000s they came out with the improved barrel, not the early 80s as someone here suggested.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Quak you hurt my feelers. I take that as a no. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by renegade50
Forearm barrel clamp assembly fughing up harmonics....
And op rod spring piston assembly causing barrel flex each shot.
Pencil barrel basically.

Add heat from rapid fire adding into a already messed up combination of things....

What else could possibly be done from the factory to make them inaccurate????

You forgot the crappy trigger.

I have a 186 series Ranch Rifle.
Trigger job
Bushing to reduce oversized gas port
OP rod buffer
3 point mechanical bedding
Barrel strut

Now shoots acceptably but it was a project.
I have several ARs but I still hang on to the Mini.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
On an unrelated note, I was recently browsing the local gun classifieds and I think I found it:
The solution to the "AR vs Mini-14" debate.

[Linked Image from vdb-waffen.de]
Originally Posted by Boomer454
On an unrelated note, I was recently browsing the local gun classifieds and I think I found it:
The solution to the "AR vs Mini-14" debate.

[Linked Image from vdb-waffen.de]

Wow! What an eyesore. I remember when that was a big thing, though, i.e., stocks for the Mini 14 to make them look like "black rifles."
The older minis didn’t just have pencil barrels...they had very cheap barrels made by Wilson.

Newer ones are in-house and seem to better. I just got mine in early November and absolutely love it. Only mod was the firing pin. Easy to clean and great fun to shoot. I’m thinking if they ever make one in 6.5 grendal I’ll grab one
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Quak
The older minis didn’t just have pencil barrels...they had very cheap barrels made by Wilson.

Newer ones are in-house and seem to better. I just got mine in early November and absolutely love it. Only mod was the firing pin. Easy to clean and great fun to shoot. I’m thinking if they ever make one in 6.5 grendal I’ll grab one
I thought they made one in 6.8. New Mini's seem to have most of the problems ironed out. A person that wants one for serious bidness needs to know what's what on them and get a newer one unless they just love to f u c k with stuff.
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
Mini-14 actions are completely reliable and bulletprooof. Much simpler to operate, clean, and maintain than an AR platform. I've had three that were all M.O.T (minute of torso) at 150 yards offhand with cheap American Eagle ammo, which is all they really need to be for their designed purpose.

They are a great rifle should one find oneself in a certain type of "social situation".
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/22/21
minute of barn.

mine will shoot two MOA groups all day

and let's not forget, some folks spend thousands on AR mods, then they laugh at a fellow that spends a few bucks for a Mini trigger or bedding job. Go figure
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
https://youtu.be/xqNbDfOJX6c

A little long, but not boring. But I seriously doubt the haters will watch, they are skeered 😆
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Anyone know why prison tower guards always seem to have mini-14's .
1. Cause they work
2. Cause they don’t want to hurt anyone, just make noise (sarcasm)
Posted By: Stophel Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Anyone know why prison tower guards always seem to have mini-14's .

Because in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they were cheap and available. An AR15 would have cost at least three times as much.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn
minute of barn.

That describes mine.
Dad had a friend who had one that would shoot little bitty clover leaf groups. No idea what all he'd done to it. He's gone now. I'd sure love to ask him.
Clover leaves and minute of barn...got ya covered.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Haters gonna hate. Lol.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Anyone got one for sale?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyone got one for sale?

Yep A SS non ranch with a folding stock $2,500
Posted By: blanket Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Must be jadded none of the four I owned would shoot for chit
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
The Mini-14 was designed and marketed for law enforcement use. Law enforcement personnel almost never take a shot at more than 100 feet, let alone 100 yards. Cops fire at humans, cars, and occasionally dogs.

With the stock sights and fmj ammo, Mini-14s are plenty capable of hitting all of those at 100 yards, and farther than that.

The M4 carbines in use by the military are really not any better accuracy-wise, and are less robust and reliable, but they also work fine for their intended use.
Posted By: DMc Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by viking
https://youtu.be/xqNbDfOJX6c

A little long, but not boring. But I seriously doubt the haters will watch, they are skeered 😆

Pretty good video. Thanks.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This guy is obviously clueless on how to get a group at 100 yds. First of all, with open sights, you have to start with a 12" diameter Able Target, and place your front sight post on the middle of the target. (The size target he was using would be completely covered by the front sight post, which makes a repeatable shot impossible.) Your group will place somewhere on the target and you can then measure it to find the group's width. You adjust your rear sight to adjust your group, if you are shooting for the center of the bulls eye. His mission was to shoot a sub 4" group, so he did not need to hit the center of the bulls eye. He could also have put the front sight post at the 6 o'clock position and recorded his group. He also should have kept a dope book to record where was the front sight post, in relation to the target, when he squeezed off each round. This would help him distinguish between shooter error or inherent inaccuracy of the rifle.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyone got one for sale?

I have one I'd trade you for something of equal value but considering I'm in Alaska the shipping prices would probably cancel the deal.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by Quak
Ok...here are the last three groups mine shot at 100 yards. Not hand picked...and keep in mind this is with Tula steel cased russian FMJ ammo. Cheapest crap money can buy. Gun is a 580 series mini 30 tactical with Warne QD rings and an aftermarket firing pin to accommodate the russian spec ammo. No other changes.

This has become my main hunting rifle. Used it this past year for whitetail and will use it this coming year for whitetail, black bear, and perhaps an elk if I should draw. Its short and handy, dead reliable and adequately accurate. As a long time user and collector of the M1 Garand and Carbine and the M1A I'm in love with this gun.

Nice, but I’ve found that 3 shot groups don’t tell the true accuracy story with the mini.

Try a twenty shot group and see if you can maintain your group without flyers.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-Mini14A.html
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Minis are not AR15 accurate but still serve a purpose. They are light and handy. As noted, the later ones shoot better than the earlier ones. Ive also found better accuracy with heavier bullets. I nearly pulled the trigger on accurizing one...but didn’t want to deal with a heavier barrel. FWIW, the mini-30s seem to shoot more accurately. One thing I have noticed is a mini-30 firing pin will not reliably shoot cheap Russian ammo. I’ve not had that problem with a 14.
A few months ago a friend gave me 17 rounds of some steel cased stuff. He said it would not function in his AR. I loaded a mag up for the Mini, it ate it just fine.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
I bought a SS Ranch rifle last year, after reading a couple pieces about them from Brian Pearce. The new ones are definitely better, and a couple of cheap mods make them better yet. A port kit will let you tune the gas system to reduce fliers and the scattering of brass. A buffer for the operating rod cushions the blow from that, reducing wear and the scope-killing whack. Wouldn’t be surprised if a good part of the accuracy issues are due to the op-rod impact making the scope erectors jump the track. Cheap scopes need not apply. I had POI shift with a Hawke Endurance 2-7 before I installed the buffer. I don’t think the scope was damaged, just moved. Tried a SWFA 6x42, and it took it just fine. A tech at Trijicon assured me their scopes will stand up to it as well. We shall see shortly.

I removed the rings and installed the included rail. That moves the front ring away from the receiver a bit. Planning on Burris rings with inserts as well. Right now, I have a PA Cyclops 1x prism on it, and can shoot five-shot groups of about 1 1/2” at 50 yards, sometimes better, with my loads. That’s good enough for its purpose, but if I can do better with the scope, it’ll be a bonus. I briefly owned a Springfield Saint, and it would do 1 1/2-2” at 100 with Fiocchi factory VMaxes, scoped. The Mini is definitely handier, and easier to maintain. Can’t bring myself to love ARs much. The Mini feels just right, and with a 5-round mag carries easy.

BTW, I’ve watched a bunch of Mini-14 “tests” like the one above, and all have had serious flaws, including that one. Often they are performed with older specimens, or with crappy setups, again like the one above. Can’t expect accurate results working like that with anything.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ruger mini 14? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by viking
A few months ago a friend gave me 17 rounds of some steel cased stuff. He said it would not function in his AR. I loaded a mag up for the Mini, it ate it just fine.

My pristine 181 I bought off a TX State Trooper on his way to Katrina for $500 is MOM (minute of muzzie) or MOC (minute of Chin) at 25-100 yds with irons. I will probably never scope it or put any optic on it. It has eaten anything I've ever fed it. Stored in a soft case with 3 30, and 2 20 rd mags of 55 gr. It is my ally gun. If they need more (or I decide to give them more), I have another box of loaded mags for it. They can keep the aszholes' heads down while I do my work.

© 24hourcampfire