Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
minute of barn.

mine will shoot two MOA groups all day

and let's not forget, some folks spend thousands on AR mods, then they laugh at a fellow that spends a few bucks for a Mini trigger or bedding job. Go figure

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/22/21.

Sam......

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
https://youtu.be/xqNbDfOJX6c

A little long, but not boring. But I seriously doubt the haters will watch, they are skeered 😆

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone know why prison tower guards always seem to have mini-14's .

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1. Cause they work
2. Cause they don’t want to hurt anyone, just make noise (sarcasm)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Anyone know why prison tower guards always seem to have mini-14's .

Because in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they were cheap and available. An AR15 would have cost at least three times as much.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by stxhunter
minute of barn.

That describes mine.
Dad had a friend who had one that would shoot little bitty clover leaf groups. No idea what all he'd done to it. He's gone now. I'd sure love to ask him.
Clover leaves and minute of barn...got ya covered.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Haters gonna hate. Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Anyone got one for sale?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyone got one for sale?

Yep A SS non ranch with a folding stock $2,500

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Must be jadded none of the four I owned would shoot for chit

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Mini-14 was designed and marketed for law enforcement use. Law enforcement personnel almost never take a shot at more than 100 feet, let alone 100 yards. Cops fire at humans, cars, and occasionally dogs.

With the stock sights and fmj ammo, Mini-14s are plenty capable of hitting all of those at 100 yards, and farther than that.

The M4 carbines in use by the military are really not any better accuracy-wise, and are less robust and reliable, but they also work fine for their intended use.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
https://youtu.be/xqNbDfOJX6c

A little long, but not boring. But I seriously doubt the haters will watch, they are skeered 😆

Pretty good video. Thanks.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This guy is obviously clueless on how to get a group at 100 yds. First of all, with open sights, you have to start with a 12" diameter Able Target, and place your front sight post on the middle of the target. (The size target he was using would be completely covered by the front sight post, which makes a repeatable shot impossible.) Your group will place somewhere on the target and you can then measure it to find the group's width. You adjust your rear sight to adjust your group, if you are shooting for the center of the bulls eye. His mission was to shoot a sub 4" group, so he did not need to hit the center of the bulls eye. He could also have put the front sight post at the 6 o'clock position and recorded his group. He also should have kept a dope book to record where was the front sight post, in relation to the target, when he squeezed off each round. This would help him distinguish between shooter error or inherent inaccuracy of the rifle.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyone got one for sale?

I have one I'd trade you for something of equal value but considering I'm in Alaska the shipping prices would probably cancel the deal.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Quak
Ok...here are the last three groups mine shot at 100 yards. Not hand picked...and keep in mind this is with Tula steel cased russian FMJ ammo. Cheapest crap money can buy. Gun is a 580 series mini 30 tactical with Warne QD rings and an aftermarket firing pin to accommodate the russian spec ammo. No other changes.

This has become my main hunting rifle. Used it this past year for whitetail and will use it this coming year for whitetail, black bear, and perhaps an elk if I should draw. Its short and handy, dead reliable and adequately accurate. As a long time user and collector of the M1 Garand and Carbine and the M1A I'm in love with this gun.

Nice, but I’ve found that 3 shot groups don’t tell the true accuracy story with the mini.

Try a twenty shot group and see if you can maintain your group without flyers.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I have a Mini 14 that won't shoot for schit. Don't know what series it is but the serial number starts with 183. Anyone know what series this is or when it was manufactured? The sights won't allow me to raise the point of impact nearly enough. I'd probably sell it but I don't sell guns very often, never saw the use to do so. Thanks

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-Mini14A.html

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Minis are not AR15 accurate but still serve a purpose. They are light and handy. As noted, the later ones shoot better than the earlier ones. Ive also found better accuracy with heavier bullets. I nearly pulled the trigger on accurizing one...but didn’t want to deal with a heavier barrel. FWIW, the mini-30s seem to shoot more accurately. One thing I have noticed is a mini-30 firing pin will not reliably shoot cheap Russian ammo. I’ve not had that problem with a 14.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A few months ago a friend gave me 17 rounds of some steel cased stuff. He said it would not function in his AR. I loaded a mag up for the Mini, it ate it just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a SS Ranch rifle last year, after reading a couple pieces about them from Brian Pearce. The new ones are definitely better, and a couple of cheap mods make them better yet. A port kit will let you tune the gas system to reduce fliers and the scattering of brass. A buffer for the operating rod cushions the blow from that, reducing wear and the scope-killing whack. Wouldn’t be surprised if a good part of the accuracy issues are due to the op-rod impact making the scope erectors jump the track. Cheap scopes need not apply. I had POI shift with a Hawke Endurance 2-7 before I installed the buffer. I don’t think the scope was damaged, just moved. Tried a SWFA 6x42, and it took it just fine. A tech at Trijicon assured me their scopes will stand up to it as well. We shall see shortly.

I removed the rings and installed the included rail. That moves the front ring away from the receiver a bit. Planning on Burris rings with inserts as well. Right now, I have a PA Cyclops 1x prism on it, and can shoot five-shot groups of about 1 1/2” at 50 yards, sometimes better, with my loads. That’s good enough for its purpose, but if I can do better with the scope, it’ll be a bonus. I briefly owned a Springfield Saint, and it would do 1 1/2-2” at 100 with Fiocchi factory VMaxes, scoped. The Mini is definitely handier, and easier to maintain. Can’t bring myself to love ARs much. The Mini feels just right, and with a 5-round mag carries easy.

BTW, I’ve watched a bunch of Mini-14 “tests” like the one above, and all have had serious flaws, including that one. Often they are performed with older specimens, or with crappy setups, again like the one above. Can’t expect accurate results working like that with anything.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/23/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (308xray, 1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,085
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.