Home
Posted By: wabigoon What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Does a cowboy have to work cattle? Or is it more of a lifestyle?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
T'aint many real cowboys around anymore.
Posted By: efw Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
I think that’s a bull.

A cow is a girl.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
A cowboy is a guy who gets stepped on, shit on, bitten, kicked, and generally abused by large animals while working sunup to sundown 365 days a year for damn near no pay at all. On good days all he has to do is fix machinery, rebuild fence, buck hay and lots of other really easy and fun stuff.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Barry, both my grandfathers, and grandmothers as well, could drive horses, ride horses. Milked cows, all of it.

I never saw any of them in pointed toe boots. Large brimmed hats, yes.
Posted By: roundoak Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Drug Store cowboys.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Barry, both my grandfathers, and grandmothers as well, could drive horses, ride horses. Milked cows, all of it.

You'll never see me in pointy toed cowboy boots either... laugh
Oh I wear pointy toed boots. laugh

Big hats don't work so well with the head rests in the newer cars, and pickups.
And, it's the cows/cattle that do the punchin'!
What I've seen of rodeo clowns, those men are real!!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by RiverRider
A cowboy is a guy who gets stepped on, shit on, bitten, kicked, and generally abused by large animals while working sunup to sundown 365 days a year for damn near no pay at all. On good days all he has to do is fix machinery, rebuild fence, buck hay and lots of other really easy and fun stuff.

That's why they are called "cowboys"

At a certain age you get too old to be pushed around and start delegating the worst part....
Or you become a "cowpoke"
In my opinion, a cowboy is a person who spends his life working on a cattle ranch with cattle, horseback most of the time.

He knows horses, cattle, and lives the life. A cowboy would be offended and seek work elsewhere if asked to not saddle up and go dig post holes.

A cowboy takes care of his animals first.

He knows how to rope. And when to rope. Just as he knows how to train a horse, break it, and probably nail a fresh shoe on one when it throws it.

He'd rather rope and drag to the branding fire than run 'em through the squeeze chute.
Most of that lets me out Barry!!!!!
Oh I wear pointy toed boots. laugh

Big hats don't work so well with the head rests in the newer cars, and pickups.

You gotta remove that headrest, turn it around and put it back in.
Posted By: gunzo Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Afraid to say.

Called boss a cookie cutter cowboy. Leather patch on pocket Wranglers, big belt buckle, leather check book with brass name tag sticking out of back pocket, square toe Ariat boots. Bourbon Co. Ky., hundreds of them. Driving a dually with a Yeti & a Magpul sticker.

Got dismissed that afternoon.

Cowboys aren't ranchers. And ranchers probably aren't cowboys. wink

There's a difference. smile
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
If there’s 3 guys in a pickup dressed alike from boots to hat, would you know the real cowboy just from where he sat?
Posted By: Dess Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Cowboy is an attitude.

So is there a difference between a Rancher, Farmer, and a Cowboy? I think there is, but I can't define it well.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21

See Sam Olson.
Sure, but Sam's not the only cowboy.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
If there’s 3 guys in a pickup dressed alike from boots to hat, would you know the real cowboy just from where he sat?

In the middle so he doesn’t have to drive or close gates. 😉
Posted By: Dess Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

In the middle so he doesn’t have to drive or close gates. 😉

Perhaps. We called that riding bitch. smile
Posted By: ledvm Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
What is a cowboy??? Well...that’s one of those questions that if you have to ask...you’ll never understand the answer.
Originally Posted by ledvm
What is a cowboy??? Well...that’s one of those questions that if you have to ask...you’ll never understand the answer.

You can spot one right away too.

And spot a drugstore cowboy a mile away. grin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ledvm

You can spot one right away too.

And spot a drugstore cowboy a mile away. grin

On that note
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
A cowboy is a man or woman who gets paid to keep another man’s stock alive and fat.
Some work on ranches, some take care of yearlings on wheat fields, some just day work, others work in feed lots and sale barns, most work a combination of those.
Most real cowboys are a mixture of veterinarian, welder, plumber, heavy equipment operator, builder, mechanic, windmiller, marketing, ag economist, dog trainer, horseman, professional rain pray’er, predator hunter, farmer and sometimes even wildlife biologist.... not all are perfect at all of those things, some don’t even ride horses.

I’ve got horses, can rope in the pasture or arena, can work cows, can back a trailer and wear a hat most days of the year and pointy boots when I ride(can catch a stirrup easier than a square toe) but when someone asks if I’m a cowboy I sheepishly say no, those men earn that title.
All right, now I'll ask the difference between a cowboy, and a beef producer?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
Not me, but the hat is elemental, like a knife. Question, why do some cow places smell bad and others kind of like a funky herb?

mike r
Posted By: RIO7 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21

Having spent my whole life on a ranch, my comments may piss off some people, but here they are, there's 2 things Cowboy's don't know anything about 1 of them is COWS the other is HORSES, real cow men are just that Cattlemen, Real horse guys,are few and far between but they are known as Horsemen,you willl rarley see both in the same person, Real Cowboy's as most people think off them, no longer exist. Rio7
Posted By: ltppowell Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21
I figure a cowboy is someone who works with cows.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21

Does that include dairy farmers??? Rio7
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Not me, but the hat is elemental, like a knife. Question, why do some cow places smell bad and others kind of like a funky herb?

mike r

Could be the ration the cattle are on. A high corn ration yard smells like it. I'm so used to the "odor"", I don't smell it.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/22/21

This^^^.........
Posted By: ldholton Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
A cowboy is a man or woman who gets paid to keep another man’s stock alive and fat.
Some work on ranches, some take care of yearlings on wheat fields, some just day work, others work in feed lots and sale barns, most work a combination of those.
Most real cowboys are a mixture of veterinarian, welder, plumber, heavy equipment operator, builder, mechanic, windmiller, marketing, ag economist, dog trainer, horseman, professional rain pray’er, predator hunter, farmer and sometimes even wildlife biologist.... not all are perfect at all of those things, some don’t even ride horses.

I’ve got horses, can rope in the pasture or arena, can work cows, can back a trailer and wear a hat most days of the year and pointy boots when I ride(can catch a stirrup easier than a square toe) but when someone asks if I’m a cowboy I sheepishly say no, those men earn that title.

In today's time pretty much...
And most of the true cowboys ain't walking quite like they did after agreeing a bit,but somehow get more done thd those pesky kids ....
Dashes are good hat holders , even still got one truck with ond of the old spring load hat holder for over the center seat.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

This^^^.........

Spanakopitas was a grape rancher on a 7 acre ranch.....😂

I don’t know if that makes him a cowgirl, rancher or sommelier ...... but it sure adds to his mystique.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
As to" having to ask. "

Socratic taught with the question, and answer method.
Posted By: hosfly Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
A cowboy has the bullshet on the outside of his boots,, youll hear ma'am an sir pretty regular,
Originally Posted by hosfly
A cowboy has the bullshet on the outside of his boots,, youll hear ma'am an sir pretty regular,

Good!
Posted By: Docbar Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21

Your comment reminded me of something. Back in the mid 90’s I was in my early 20’s living in Oklahoma. I did a little ranch work, rode horse, and played around at rodeoing a little bits. I was far from a pro at any of this, but I could fake it a little. I had a good opportunity so I moved to Washington state, about an hour from Seattle. I saw a local country club called Gerry Andal’s and thought I would give it a try. I was amazed at the number of men wearing cock roach killing (super pointy toe) boots with fake silver around the tip. That was my first clue to get out. I’m back in Oklahoma now and still own horses, but my “cowboyin” is mainly limited to Ranch Sorting on the weekends with my boys. I still don’t wear pointy toe boots.
Originally Posted by Docbar

Your comment reminded me of something. Back in the mid 90’s I was in my early 20’s living in Oklahoma. I did a little ranch work, rode horse, and played around at rodeoing a little bits. I was far from a pro at any of this, but I could fake it a little. I had a good opportunity so I moved to Washington state, about an hour from Seattle. I saw a local country club called Gerry Andal’s and thought I would give it a try. I was amazed at the number of men wearing cock roach killing (super pointy toe) boots with fake silver around the tip. That was my first clue to get out. I’m back in Oklahoma now and still own horses, but my “cowboyin” is mainly limited to Ranch Sorting on the weekends with my boys. I still don’t wear pointy toe boots.
with that user name theres no need to ask what line of cowpony you prefer,,,, growing up,my dad would bring home half the jackoff horses there were to be found,,anything with a bad habit,,,It got to where i always rode not in boots but converse all stars,,chuckie taylors,,, they made your foot thin, easy in an out of stirrup,and were better to walk in if you got tossed out of the round pen,, I mostly rode those dinks in the woods so they werent apt to act out as bad
All right, now I'll ask the difference between a cowboy, and a beef producer?
wabi we have 3 cattle companies within 45 min drive of where i live , all 3 have from 1500 to 2000 momma cows, produce a lot of beef,not a cowboy in the bunch
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I have had cattle and have raised and saddle broke horses.

Got started in my late 20's and before i started training any horse i got to know them first.

Talked to a lot of old time folks that broke horses and started them gentile.

Most said they had less trouble from stock that was trained that way instead of the hollywood way.

Even raised hogs and don't consider myself a cowboy,horseman or hogman.

Felt a little of all.

PS:the cows tasted better than store bought by far.
Posted By: Brazos Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21

He'd be drivin' or in the middle. Other guy has to get the gates..
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Most cowboys don't live past 55 from what I've seen.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I live in Central Texas their is a large ranch near me 38000 acres. Top cowboy which is a friend make 3000 a month with a older ranch home included.8 cowboys work all live stock on horses. The owners cow calf operation is 100k in Florida. Using the Texas ranch for cattle on the gain.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by hosfly
Originally Posted by Docbar

with that user name theres no need to ask what line of cowpony you prefer,,,, growing up,my dad would bring home half the jackoff horses there were to be found,,anything with a bad habit,,,It got to where i always rode not in boots but converse all stars,,chuckie taylors,,, they made your foot thin, easy in an out of stirrup,and were better to walk in if you got tossed out of the round pen,, I mostly rode those dinks in the woods so they werent apt to act out as bad

Back in the '70's, Dad bought a "green broke" 3 Bars gelding. That horse was a bucker - could go 30' sideways if a rabbit jumped out in front of him - in one jump.
Dad had me ride him out - made a damn good caballo, sure footed and loved mountains and brush.
Good thing as we were turning out #1 Old Mexico steers out in rough country.
He could cut cattle in a corral or in the pasture, and I wasn't afraid to rope anything off of him.
Lord, how I miss my '20's! Life was one ball after another - and one wreck after another.
Can't keep that pace anymore.
But I consider myself a little smarter.
Thanks old 'Cowboys"!!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I swore when I left the farm,I would never milk another cow. I don't consider a cow a companion animal. I have worn hats, boots and wranglers since I was a youngster.I could rope when I had to but my shoulders don't work so good now. I have trained more than a few horses or mules and have had my head augured into dirt more than once, I shoe my mules even at 77.The last steer I roped was a 2 yr old 1200 pound angus and I was riding a 14hand , 800pound horse.The steer won. That was at least 40 years ago Even the last bovine I was involved with was a big whiteface bull that got out and wondered 3-4 miles. The neighbor asked me to help drive it back.When a green mule I was riding got to within 50 yards, it started to buck and we left the country a mile or so.We got the job done ,but it took awhile.That was over 25 years ago

I guess I am more than a horseman than a cowman. Not even that as I gave up horses years ago for mules. Heck most who call themselves cowboys nowdays ride ATV's and wear base ball caps today.

I guess I would call a cowboy a way of life or a way of living ones life.
Posted By: hanco Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
A style of dress mostly, damn few real cowboys out there.
Posted By: bkraft Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I believe Huntsman 22 said it best, "everybody wants to do cowboy [bleep] until it's time to do cowboy [bleep]." At least that has been my experience.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21

Wabi, No cowboy (buckaroos where I come from in the Great Basin) EVER milked a cow (or admitted to it).
Posted By: renegade50 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Somehow alot on here seem to fall into the "dress and act the role" thing in my mind.
Dunno why....

👍👍👍👍😆😆😆😆😆😆

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
What I've seen of rodeo clowns, those men are real!!
I used to know one. He did that for 'relaxation'. His day job was being the general manager of a large potato processing plant.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Not I brother!

All cattle, no hat....lol

(I love that scene in D&D...so Bozeman...LOL)
Posted By: las Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
There's a joke about the old cowboy and the lesbian that I posted before..

Short version- The lesbo asks him if he is a cowboy, and he enumerates all the things he does that makes him a cowboy. She then explains she is lesbian, and "thinks about women all the time", and enumerates.

Then a young man comes in and asks the old man if he is a cowboy.

He thinks a moment and says "I always thought I was, but I just found out I'm a lesbian."
Posted By: Tarkio Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I work cattle for a living. Scratched out a decent way of life for me and mine doing so over the past 25+ years.

When I was just out of college, I cowboyed for the better part of a year. Calved out hundreds of heifers and 3 year olds. Every day in the saddle. Not a particularly great horseman or a roper. But good with stock. So I actually did put on my tax return, which was pretty pathetic, where it asked occupation, cowboy.

Reality is, I was never a good enough hand horseback to really qualify. Everything else as far as working cattle, understanding them, reading them etc. I would be considered damn handy. But cowboy, no.

And I don't want to be. Seen the life that real cowboys live and I am good not going there.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I work cattle for a living. Scratched out a decent way of life for me and mine doing so over the past 25+ years.

When I was just out of college, I cowboyed for the better part of a year. Calved out hundreds of heifers and 3 year olds. Every day in the saddle. Not a particularly great horseman or a roper. But good with stock. So I actually did put on my tax return, which was pretty pathetic, where it asked occupation, cowboy.

Reality is, I was never a good enough hand horseback to really qualify. Everything else as far as working cattle, understanding them, reading them etc. I would be considered damn handy. But cowboy, no.

And I don't want to be. Seen the life that real cowboys live and I am good not going there.

I hear ya.

I used to be damn good with horses, but I look at them as work. Not with a passion like lots of folks do.

If you look at the old ranch hands, cowboys, and ranchers that grew up and spent their lives ranching, and you notice their hands... Bent, crooked, rough... missing fingers from slammed gates and missed dally while roping, it'll make you sit back and re-evaluate things.

Like mentioned earlier... Everyone wants to be a cowboy until it get time to do it. smile
Posted By: drover Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
There are lots of real cowboys in central Idaho. They are pretty easy to spot by their old worn out boots, used up Wranglers, raggedy shirts and jackets and an old dirty sweat-stained worn out hat. They usually drive a 30 year old pickup a bad muffler and have 3 or 4 dogs in the back, and maybe one or two of their favorites in the cab. The bed of the pickup usually has numerous empty Keystone beer cans and Copenhagen cans in it. The place they generally live in is the old home place from back in the 40's and the dirt yard usually has a couple of wrecked or broken down vehicles in it. They are getting by on a $1000 a month and a beef a year. Unfortunately for most of them this is as good as their life is ever going to get, there are no retirement plans or pensions for old cowboys.

drover
First off I don't consider myself a cowboy. Not a roper, not a bronc buster, never rode in an arena.

But I've been around horses and cattle and cowdogs since old enough to walk.

That said days horseback are sorta like A Tale of Two Cities.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

We lease pasture in big country and you'll be away from the pickup and trailer for 8-10 hours or longer per day. Gather and push for 2-3 days and never open a gate.

Coldest I've ever been in my life was horseback.
(several times)

Thirstiest I've ever been was horseback.
(a few times)

Most frustrated I've ever been was horseback.
(played out horse)

Feeling like you've got the world by the tail.....horseback.
(about 1000 times....grin)
Me, on the way to a MYF Halloween party.

I plumb forgot my six shooter. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ricardo, the watch sorta gives you away....lol
I did'nt want be late to the party Sam. laugh
At least you weren't wearing a wedding ring, or I'da called your bluff!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Not I brother!

All cattle, no hat....lol

(I love that scene in D&D...so Bozeman...LOL)

When the youngest was around 4 yrs old

We would have to watch that movie 3 or 4 times a day.
Thankfully she would fall asleep most times
She got smart and wanted to start the movie at the point she remembered falling asleep for the next viewing...

LOL!!!

She was stuck on it pretty bad for awhile.

My oldest one was Ren and Stimpy Vhs tapes.

Middle one didnt have the fav show thing.

Kids.....
LOL!!!
TFF!

Every so often I'll see it while flipping through the channels and have to stop and watch until the next commercial.

First off I don't consider myself a cowboy. Not a roper, not a bronc buster, never rode in an arena.

We lease pasture in big country and you'll be away from the pickup and trailer for 8-10 hours or longer per day. Gather and push for 2-3 days and never open a gate.

(several times)

(a few times)

(played out horse)

Sounds like you earn your living.
Being a Cowboy to me......

From a person who is most def not a cowboy....
Been other things though.
TFF!

Every so often I'll see it while flipping through the channels and have to stop and watch until the next commercial.

Hey kidsf youf wouldnt haf a warmf cupf of water ???

Love the snowball shot in Mary,s face...

LOL!!!

Dont even wanna go into Ren and Stimpy stuff .
Got a speeding ticket going to pick a tape up when I got the call from USA video one evening.

I liked Ren and Stimpy also.

So worth it!!!

75 buck ticket...
Hahahaha!!!
Dude, I'm a godddamn house cat compared to a few old guys I know!

And I know you've BTDT just not on a fricken horse....

We're all gluttons for punishment....lol

Posted By: ltppowell Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21

(several times)

(a few times)

(played out horse)

I'm thinkin' Cody Jinks or Jamie Johnson could do something with that. Maybe I will.

Cowboy'n is too tough for me.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I own 40 cows. Does that make me a cowboy?
Probably not.
I hate horses. They hate me.
I run 30+ calves thru a chute every year and cut (not band) them
myself. Of course they get shots and all.
I have pulled many, many calves, with or without pullers
some dead some alive. I have dispatched cows with a
Bullet between the eyes.
February made me wonder why anybody would want to
be a cowboy.
I’m not a cowboy, I hate horses.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by Dess
Cowboy is an attitude....

Covers it.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Dess
Cowboy is an attitude....

Covers it.

I kinda hate to hear that because I've been called a "cowboy" all my life and I've never done anything with cows except throw rocks at them and don't like getting bit by horses. Real cowboys don't have an "attitude". It's just what they do.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Well some are cowpunchers and some are huttpunchers just gotta look at their hands easy to figure out. The cowpunchers will have hands that work hard for a living and BP'ers will look like they been dick holders. Lol
Dude, I'm a godddamn house cat compared to a few old guys I know!

And I know you've BTDT just not on a fricken horse....

We're all gluttons for punishment....lol

Been on a horse x2.
Some horse riding ranch up north of boulder a buddy in the unit knew people from minnesota who had bought it.
Their dream I geuss.
Nose,s to butt holes on the trails.....

They try to bite your thigh with their Mr ed teeth and evil eye look.
A good bundle up the reins snatch that head in .
And good punch at the base of the ear adjusted that attitude

And some dont see rattle snakes until the last second.
Literally hi ho silver hold onto the pommel run to the barn after that one .
2 days in a row

They dont have a key switch either.

Homie fired up the YZ 250 in the back of his 74 F 100 and went trail blasting after the Hi ho silver incident...
Homie was a young 22 yr old in 85.

I know working horses are waaay different than dude ranch horses.

Dude ranch horses aint worth a fugg....
LOL!!!

Middle daughter was a vaquera in Girl Scouts.
moved up that food chain from a little girl to one of their riding instructors over a 9 10 yr period.
All involved in the state girl scout horse camp bout 25 miles from here.
Cost me lots of $$$$ while she was all involved with that.

Got bugged about horses constantly.
Get alexis a horse.
Keep it at FTCKY stables
This, that, and the other.
Horse this, horse that.

Worlds most expensive pet if they dont have a work purpose.

No fugging way was I falling down that Rabbit hole....
Posted By: hookeye Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
I like cattle. Hate horses.
Posted By: slumlord Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/23/21
Lots of poop
Lots of flies

Gross
Posted By: jerrys Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Back to gates. The cowboy is the one on the right side of the gate when you close it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Me, on the way to a MYF Halloween party.

I plumb forgot my six shooter. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I'm thinkin' Cody Jinks or Jamie Johnson could do something with that. Maybe I will.

Pat, for good or bad you know we are all just victim of circumstance.

Why anyone would purposefully choose to deal with cows much less horses is beyond me.......lol
Originally Posted by mlschnei
I own 40 cows. Does that make me a cowboy?
Probably not.
I hate horses. They hate me.
I run 30+ calves thru a chute every year and cut (not band) them
myself. Of course they get shots and all.
I have pulled many, many calves, with or without pullers
some dead some alive. I have dispatched cows with a
Bullet between the eyes.
February made me wonder why anybody would want to
be a cowboy.
I’m not a cowboy, I hate horses.

I just bought 10 more cows. Small timer, no ranch.

But now I make more selling beef than I do from my salary.

That's the thing about floating around, you better save up or die young.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Kid Rock had a good song about it.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Have I got a deal for you....lol
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Posted By: ldholton Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by renegade50

Have I got a deal for you....lol

LMAO
Posted By: ldholton Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by Tarkio

I hear ya.

I used to be damn good with horses, but I look at them as work. Not with a passion like lots of folks do.

If you look at the old ranch hands, cowboys, and ranchers that grew up and spent their lives ranching, and you notice their hands... Bent, crooked, rough... missing fingers from slammed gates and missed dally while roping, it'll make you sit back and re-evaluate things.

Like mentioned earlier... Everyone wants to be a cowboy until it get time to do it. smile

Boy I wish I could post pictures you should see my hands and my hat's you described it perfectly
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Huntsman22 is the only Cowboy i know of in this joint.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21

Pat, for good or bad you know we are all just victim of circumstance.

Why anyone would purposefully choose to deal with cows much less horses is beyond me.......lol

Keep it up...I'm writing a song.
Originally Posted by gunner500

He is one for sure.
Posted By: Osky Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Real ones are special, not many around and fewer by the day.
Measure him by the stock he trains and rides. Cows are idiots; knowing them is easy. He doesn’t train his horse to be pretty in a ring but bull strong in finding and digging stock out of the worst spots.
The one s I’ve seen, so few these days are generally in Eastern Montana/Wyoming. Long ways off the beaten track. Down along the southern border there are a few old Mexican horseman working the last big range there. What those Ol mexs could do with a horse was incredible.

I knew of an old range rider in the north must be over 35 years ago. He worked out of a
Shack in the middle of big association lands. Horse went back over due to a rattler and dropped him on his back in cactus. Ol boy never came out for help, we took necessaries in to him a month or so after. He’d taken a razor and taped it to a stick. As the cactus festered out he would shave it off. He said he didn’t mind the pain, but he hated the emerging cactus dragging on his shirt. We picked him clean.
There was a special kind of sand in those ol boys.

They don’t make many that way anymore.

Osky
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21

He is one for sure.

Not me. I just found the hat.

My boots don't have heels, I've never lost a finger or thumb to a dally or gate, I don't have to wake up at night to calve, I would get saddlesores if I hadta help Sam gather in the fall, and I keep my dick holders soft as a babies ass for a reason.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22

He is one for sure.

My boots don't have heels, I've never lost a finger or thumb to a dally or gate, I don't have to wake up at night to calve, I would get saddlesores if I hadta help Sam gather in the fall, and I keep my dick holders soft as a babies ass for a reason.....

I've had some jobs that other people think are really cool. They ARE really cool unless you are the one doing them. Just let us have pride in knowing cool guys like you and Sam

He is one for sure.

I've had some jobs that other people think are really cool. They ARE really cool unless you are the one doing them. Just let us have pride in knowing cool guys like you and Sam

laugh, always looks like it's a hunnert damn degrees in all his pics too. ; ]
Posted By: Buckaroo Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
I Donno--I do my best work in a pickup. Won my hat from a Sioux gentleman in a card game in Billings back in the 70's. We sold the cows and got out of the cattle business about 10 years ago

Gramma, my bride of 43 years, does not appreciate seeing me mounted on our old Ford tractor, but she tolerates my behavior--usually.

I once had an older friend who claimed, "he was a cowboy for 20 years and never stepped in it". I think it was the only joke he ever told. He was a dear friend and kept me on the straight and narrow in my younger years.
And BGaRT will always be king LT.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
wabigoon;
Good evening to you sir, or perhaps good morning if you read this tomorrow, I hope that regardless you're all well.

Through shear good luck I ran across this chap from Uruguay who has photographed folks who work cattle from the back of a horse all over the Americas.

This second one is all Canucks, I want to say they're in the Lethbridge area if I've figured out which ranch it is.

Anyways, hopefully you and a few other folks appreciated the short videos as much as I have. The books with his photographs would really be something I'd think.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

PS;
Someone said to me one time when I was much younger that they'd heard I was making a decent cowboy. I replied that while I aspired to be a competent horseman, the more I was around cattle, the more I was of the belief they should be killed and eaten as soon as possible. wink
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21

He is one for sure.

Curley just wore the one glove. smile
Posted By: middlechild Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
I think its an old rancher lifestyle that got adapted my the movie industry. It isn't as cool as they make it look.
Originally Posted by middlechild
I think its an old rancher lifestyle that got adapted my the movie industry. It isn't as cool as they make it look.

All the cool jobs are tough. That's why lots of people admire them, but few do them.
Posted By: Lslite Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
I believe it's a way of thinking and living,not what you wear or what your job is.I grew up in a small ranch family,but spent most of my life in a refinery.It's hard to raise a family on cowboy wages.
Posted By: byron Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by hanco
A style of dress mostly, damn few real cowboys out there.

They're out there "Ya just can't see'um from the road." There's a lot of truth in that old song. Still a lot of cowboys (and girls) working, but if you are like me and your definition is rather narrow of what a real cowboy is, then ya I guess....
Posted By: byron Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21

It can be one or the other or both.grin
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by gunzo
Afraid to say.

Called boss a cookie cutter cowboy. Leather patch on pocket Wranglers, big belt buckle, leather check book with brass name tag sticking out of back pocket, square toe Ariat boots. Bourbon Co. Ky., hundreds of them. Driving a dually with a Yeti & a Magpul sticker.

Got dismissed that afternoon.

Back in the 80s, cowboys in my neck of the woods ditched their Tony Lamas and started wearing tennis shoes. They didn't want to be mistaken for truck drivers.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
I've read the entire thread now, thought I'd get a good answer as to just what a real cowboy is. I'm not sure Monte Walsh wasn't the very last one...but, some might say rodeo cowboys are the real deal (not that I subscribe to that theory). If that is so, I guess I could say I was a real cowboy for about five minutes one time, long, long ago.

My first step-father, who was pretty much no good, was finishing up classes at Sul Ross State to get his teaching certificate. Sul Ross is a rodeo school, and they put on some rodeos each year. At the age of no more than three (I may have not yet turned three years old), I was at one of these rodeos and they were going to have a kid's rodeo during intermission. Step-father signed me up for calf riding and told me I'd be riding a calf. I thought it sounded like fun, but my idea of a calf ride was getting on the back of a willing and friendly animal which would walk around a bit, and we'd part friends. Needless to say, my ride went nothing like I was imagining at the time. I do remember being pitched off that calf's back, sailing through the air, and landing on my head to great applause. I retired from the rodeo circuit before I even dusted myself off and put my hat back on. I might have been a real cowboy for a few seconds...probably no longer than the duration I spent airborne.

Later, during a particularly trying period of my life in my 30s, I departed Texas and headed for Montana. I found a rancher looking for a hand, and I was looking for a way of life. He gave me a way of life, all right...16 hours a day, seven days a week, and just enough pay to keep my truck payments up. I got a gut full after he'd bellyache about having to cough up $500 a month (or whatever it we had agreed to) but always seemed able to buy his college-aged son horses and pickups and send him off to school down in Wyoming. I left just before the big snows hit in late '92. Didn't feel much like a cowboy during that stint, but there were a couple of days during that five months that I thought were okay. He figured he was a cowboy, but me, I never saw him as one. Bastard still runs that place these days, made a dude ranch out of it. Gets all these rich Europeans to pay to come stay and work their asses off. I call that a scammer.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
A cowboy is a man who doesn't squat with his spurs on!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've read the entire thread now, thought I'd get a good answer as to just what a real cowboy is. I'm not sure Monte Walsh wasn't the very last one...but, some might say rodeo cowboys are the real deal (not that I subscribe to that theory). If that is so, I guess I could say I was a real cowboy for about five minutes one time, long, long ago.

My first step-father, who was pretty much no good, was finishing up classes at Sul Ross State to get his teaching certificate. Sul Ross is a rodeo school, and they put on some rodeos each year. At the age of no more than three (I may have not yet turned three years old), I was at one of these rodeos and they were going to have a kid's rodeo during intermission. Step-father signed me up for calf riding and told me I'd be riding a calf. I thought it sounded like fun, but my idea of a calf ride was getting on the back of a willing and friendly animal which would walk around a bit, and we'd part friends. Needless to say, my ride went nothing like I was imagining at the time. I do remember being pitched off that calf's back, sailing through the air, and landing on my head to great applause. I retired from the rodeo circuit before I even dusted myself off and put my hat back on. I might have been a real cowboy for a few seconds...probably no longer than the duration I spent airborne.

Later, during a particularly trying period of my life in my 30s, I departed Texas and headed for Montana. I found a rancher looking for a hand, and I was looking for a way of life. He gave me a way of life, all right...16 hours a day, seven days a week, and just enough pay to keep my truck payments up. I got a gut full after he'd bellyache about having to cough up $500 a month (or whatever it we had agreed to) but always seemed able to buy his college-aged son horses and pickups and send him off to school down in Wyoming. I left just before the big snows hit in late '92. Didn't feel much like a cowboy during that stint, but there were a couple of days during that five months that I thought were okay. He figured he was a cowboy, but me, I never saw him as one. Bastard still runs that place these days, made a dude ranch out of it. Gets all these rich Europeans to pay to come stay and work their asses off. I call that a scammer.

I've seen that type of guy before. Worked for one for a short while.

They expect lots of hours of work, 7 days a week, and pay you wetback wages.

Some are better employers than that, but what you described is pretty much what it is. It may get a bit better when get to "foreman" status for a big outfit. But still... the retirement plan sux.
Posted By: Huntz Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
A Cowboy is one of those guys in The Village People.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
A cowboy is a man who doesn't squat with his spurs on more than once!
When I moved back to the farm I told my dad that I'd work for the same wages that he was paying the 18 year old kid who was helping out at the time.

He agreed and I even went so far as to say that rather than keep track of hours we could call it an even 40 hours a week...at the agreed $10/hour. $1600/month...

About a month in I realized my mistake....lol

Figured I was making way less than minimum wage at the 50-60 hour a week schedule.

But of course he was just making me prove myself(again) and I gradually made a little more here and there.

It took about 10 years but I do okay now.

But of course there aren't any vacations and I never plan anything outside of work. Whining aside it's just a tremendous time drain. Always something that we should be doing...

And my dad isn't getting any younger. We have our hands fulls calving out 320 head and farming 2,000 acres of flood irrigated and dry land ground. Dad is 72 years old and my biggest fear is losing him.

And I don't have any kids.
(aka slaves....)

Sonuvabitch!
Originally Posted by Huntz
A Cowboy is one of those guys in The Village People.

Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
In my opinion, a cowboy is a person who spends his life working on a cattle ranch with cattle, horseback most of the time.

He knows horses, cattle, and lives the life. A cowboy would be offended and seek work elsewhere if asked to not saddle up and go dig post holes.

A cowboy takes care of his animals first.

He knows how to rope. And when to rope. Just as he knows how to train a horse, break it, and probably nail a fresh shoe on one when it throws it.

He'd rather rope and drag to the branding fire than run 'em through the squeeze chute.

Yup. Nailed it
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/24/21
When I moved back to the farm I told my dad that I'd work for the same wages that he was paying the 18 year old kid who was helping out at the time.

He agreed and I even went so far as to say that rather than keep track of hours we could call it an even 40 hours a week...at the agreed $10/hour. $1600/month...

About a month in I realized my mistake....lol

Figured I was making way less than minimum wage at the 50-60 hour a week schedule.

But of course he was just making me prove myself(again) and I gradually made a little more here and there.

It took about 10 years but I do okay now.

But of course there aren't any vacations and I never plan anything outside of work. Whining aside it's just a tremendous time drain. Always something that we should be doing...

And my dad isn't getting any younger. We have our hands fulls calving out 320 head and farming 2,000 acres of flood irrigated and dry land ground. Dad is 72 years old and my biggest fear is losing him.

And I don't have any kids.
(aka slaves....)

Sonuvabitch!

Are you going to end up with the place, Sam?

If so, the hard work pays off in the long run.

Sure not saying it can happen to you at all, but I had a friend that sweated blood for the family ranch and when he got old enough to take over his dad sold it and told him he'd have to move off. That would be the ultimate insult.

Saw another rancher that gave the family ranch to he daughter before he died... One day he came home from town, and the were a couple of cars at the house. He asked the people what was going on?

They said they were very glad to meet him! They'd bought the ranch from his daughter, but it came with the agreement that he could live there in his house as long as he wanted. He didn't live long after that... frown
Barry, I have a brother and sister(both live in CA) and we'll have to work it out.

I'm under no assumption that I will inherit more than them. The farm could be sold off and then I'll no longer feel guilty about not working to keep it going.
If old SamO ain't a cowboy, he's at least amoungestem. laugh
Posted By: Lslite Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21
In south east Texas it's hard for a white kid to get a cowboying job because there are too many seasoned vaqueros willing to work for the same wages.Those men were some of the finest I've ever worked with and taught me much.But I could only stand so much barn mucking and fence building before I decided I was gonna get rich rodeoing.Didn't have enough talent to eat regular,so I ended up in town working for a paycheck.I sacked my saddle,but I but never sold it.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21
His pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21
I get paid to ride horses every day....average 10 miles a day.
The only cows I work on are already dead....and I've worked them for 43 years.
Not a cowboy...but not a helpless cityfuckkk either.
Can run 5 different tractors...can saddle up 25 horses if needed.
I care for 60 of them.

Posted By: blanket Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21
Gone for a 150 years
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21
The cowboy way is a way of life, NOT a "lifestyle." If you know the difference, good for you. If you don't, I can't help you.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21

Funny...here it is a clown in a big rig that thinks he owns the road.
Posted By: JeffA Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/25/21
Resistol, Tony Lama and Stetson have made a killin' off those that feel the need to look like a cowboy.

STETSON MEN'S DIAMANTE 1000X FUR FELT COWBOY HAT
$4,999.99

[Linked Image from sheplers.com]

Tony Lama El Rey IV Boots
$50,000

[Linked Image from ww1.prweb.com]

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/26/21
Originally Posted by Salmonella

That is a great pic.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/26/21
Callender quality.
Posted By: slumlord Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/26/21
Callender quality.

She makes good TV dinners.
Posted By: 673 Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/26/21
Living near the largest working Cattle ranch in Canada (Douglas lake Cattle ranch) there are lots of Cowboy's.
Odd the largest ranch is here in BC, I would of thought Alberta or Saskatchewan but no.

Its cool watching them working the Cattle with horses, they use Quads to but I usually see them on horseback, Women too.

Quite a few Cowboy's come here from the USA, and there is a young Man (Ben Tyner) from Wyoming that has been missing for over 2 years now. Someone found his rider less horse, no sign of him, likely murder. I feel for his Family and Pray for them.

They used to frequent the local town during Rodeo time, and get into big time brawls with the biker's, doesn't happen anymore. frown

Nothing is more entertaining to me than seeing a Chinese guy or lady from the City, wearing a Cowboy hat and Boots laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/26/21
Bow legged? smile
Posted By: P_Weed Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/29/21
Most folks don't believe I'm a real cowboy, till they hear me yodel.

<> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-atDtS7iHx0 <>

~ At the set of the sun when my work is done
On my pony I take a ride

~ Where the coyotes howl and the varmints prowl
With my forty-four by my side

~ I go down that lonesome trail just galloping long
I love to sing that yodeling cowboy song

<> Jimmy Rodgers 1929
Posted By: ledvm Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/29/21
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
The cowboy way is a way of life, NOT a "lifestyle." If you know the difference, good for you. If you don't, I can't help you.

Amen
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/29/21
Although I was born and raised in Montana (just north of Sam), owned horses and worked some livestock, the truth is I am a Rexall cowboy. But, it's been a good ride. ;-{>8
Posted By: P_Weed Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/31/21
It's hard for me to put into words what a real cowboy even looks like ~ So I just looks into a mirror.

<> https://www.military-history.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/old-cowboy.jpg <>
Posted By: Morewood Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/31/21
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: What is a Cowboy? - 03/31/21
He ain't wrong, he's just different, but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right.
© 24hourcampfire