Home
Posted By: GRIZZ Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Anyone ever use them any recommendations ARB, Pull Pal?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Truck axle.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
just haul an extension cord around with you. sombich will tangle on thin air giving you a anchor.
No experience with the anchors you mentioned I have been using the “old circus tent spike” as it’s been named by my friends
It’s an about 1.5” diameter and 36” long round old tent spike I found and it has worked well in everything but the sandiest of soil to get my jeep winched out when the nearest tree was a 1/4 mile away
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Well a "tent spike" may work for whatever it is you drive but I needs something rated at around 10,000 pounds...
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Depends on the ground you’re stuck in. Had my F350 power stroke stuck 3x this winter in fields. Faced with digging 1/2 frozen ground, I pulled out a shovel and used mat tracks.

Personally I wouldn’t use a nome built earth anchor. Lots of people killed by things breaking loose combined with a winch cable under tension.

Smittybuilt and Bushwinch make a decent earth anchor

Deadman off road makes a bag that you bury. Great for sand

Some guys will bury the spare tire or a log in a deep hole and attach their winch cable to that. I haven’t done it but it’s an option I’m sure I’ll use at some point.

One of my winter recoveries. It’s much steeper than it looks in the pic. Lots of water runoff made the clay slick and a 9k lb truck sucks off road.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by deerstalker
just haul an extension cord around with you. sombich will tangle on thin air giving you a anchor.

Lol 🤣
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
How about spending $20?
2 steel fence posts with the fins, cut to about 3'. Pound in 1, leaning back a little from the truck. Pound in the 2d a few feet behind it, same angle. Run a strong, tight rope or chain from the top of the 1st to the bottom of the 2d. Hook the winch cable to the bottom of the 1st. It might help to weld some anchor pieces on before you go to keep the ropes from sliding up & down and for a cable hook ring.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How about spending $20?
2 steel fence posts with the fins, cut to about 3'. Pound in 1, leaning back a little from the truck. Pound in the 2d a few feet behind it, same angle. Run a strong, tight rope or chain from the top of the 1st to the bottom of the 2d. Hook the winch cable to the bottom of the 1st. It might help to weld some anchor pieces on before you go to keep the ropes from sliding up & down and for a cable hook ring.

+1
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
I don't know what you are looking to spend but this company's products look pretty good. Bush Winch check out there YouTube videos
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
I have used an old Danforth anchor in the sand and mud. But, a too darn large to carry around all year. Truck axle as recommended earlier. Easier to store and recover when you get unstuck. MTG
Posted By: 5spd Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
I use the cut 3' tee post trick, grab a few, spot weld the flat plate to the post (I've had them pop off), I cut the end at an angle with my cut off saw, pound into ground with a driver at slight angle.
I keep several in the truck and more in my ranger.
Max track boards work well, but you have to get them under the tires.
Think about an exhaust lift bag, they work nice, no digging, lift vehicle, put traction boards under tires and pull out.
Digging/clearing with a shovel helps of course.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Ok...Thanks I think.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
The simple fact is that spending hundreds of $$ on something as simple as a ground anchor is a colossal waste of money. T-posts cost like $5 at Home Depot and Harbor Frt has a good 4 lb hammer for under $10. A real post driver is better but they cost like $30 to 40 and aren't necessary unless you have a need for it at home.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by MTGunner
I have used an old Danforth anchor in the sand and mud. But, a too darn large to carry around all year. Truck axle as recommended earlier. Easier to store and recover when you get unstuck. MTG

How are you using the truck axle as the ground anchor?
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/10/21
Just drive it in the ground like a tent peg.

It's not the whole axle housing.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
I always carried a 3' piece of a 1-1/4" steel digging bar in my Jeep. It sufficed.
Posted By: 673 Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
An axle?... good idea, I was wondering what would I do if I didn't have a tree or stump handy.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
Gotcha.
Posted By: RupertBear Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
If it loonsh!t, bury your spare tire. I carry a couple of garden shovels for drier ground. I cut the handles so they are about 4' long. Use them in tandem like you would a couple of GI style tent pegs. Bury them with the concave side facing the truck and buried to the hilt. A nylon tow rope wrapped right down on the shovels where the handle changes to blade will cinch on tight. Depending on conditions, I'll use the shovel in tandem or in series.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by RupertBear
If it loonsh!t, bury your spare tire. I carry a couple of garden shovels for drier ground. I cut the handles so they are about 4' long. Use them in tandem like you would a couple of GI style tent pegs. Bury them with the concave side facing the truck and buried to the hilt. A nylon tow rope wrapped right down on the shovels where the handle changes to blade will cinch on tight. Depending on conditions, I'll use the shovel in tandem or in series.
That's pretty much the same as the fence posts. I hadn't heard of using shovels, though.
Posted By: RupertBear Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
I'm a tad lazy, and I don't like to fill up my FJ with too much extraneous Kaka. The cut-off shovels work as shovels if needs be, and a simple rocking gets them out of the dirt when I'm free, rather than having to dig out tent pegs.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
I've saved the day on a sagebrush desert flat by winching from multiple T-posts driven in at an opposing angle and chained together. Free advice, if you ever see ducks swimming in the track ahead of you, STOP.
I learned about the t-posts when I high centered my Razor when I discovered that a level place in the road was actually a low spot full of drifting snow. All I had to anchor the winch was sagebrush and it pulled that out by the roots. We had to dig it out by hand. Now I have the t-posts.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
So I buried my truck in the high desert of nevada last year. 20 miles from any help. Do not use t posts. They are not going to be strong enough. I carry 4 2” x3/16. Angle irons that are about 4 feet long. This recovery I needed all 3 that I had with me. Have since added a 4th section. I broke 2 ratchet straps like they weren’t even there trying to picket the anchors. I had holes drilled in the top. We ended up chaining the anchors together. I have since added more chain and bolts to bolt the chain to each anchor. Way more prepared after having actually done it. I also carry a hi lift handle all kit that has a shovel and a sledge and a pick in it. Where I go it’s rescue yourself or walk out.

That hi lift saved me again last fall.
Originally Posted by MTGunner

I always figured that was the best trick..
That and using your tire as a winch in a pinch.
Works best with a flat two strap.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
I have a 16000 pound rated Warn mounted to the front of my rig just looking for something to anchor on to when not timber of boulders around.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
T post is all I’ve ever needed. Gets me out every time. I also carry two extra 50 foot winch line extensions. A large loop around some sagebrush works damn good as well.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
I also carry two extra 50 foot winch line extensions. A large loop around some sagebrush works damn good as well.
interesting idea.
Last time i used a sagebrush when I had my Razer stuck I pulled it out by the roots.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Lol 🤣

A welder I worked with used to say a welding lead will get caught on a waxed floor!
Last time i used a sagebrush when I had my Razer stuck I pulled it out by the roots.

Ha. Use more brush. I’ve removed F250’s up to the frame with no trouble. Running a Tacoma now with 12k on the bumper. It will pull that truck up a tree.
In sagebrush country you use what you've got. I didn't 'got' enough.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
How about spending $20?

interesting. and i could see where it could work well assuming you also brought a post pounder. how far do you pound them in the ground and how much is sticking up?
In sagebrush country you use what you've got. I didn't 'got' enough.

Hence the winch extensions. Got caught in a pickle once with my eight year old in the truck on a late season cow blast. Sagebrush got us out and we went straight home. Grown adults? No problem. Kid was gonna have mom on my ass. We got out and life was good.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
Wenches are great, but when I plan on getting stuck, I bring some big boards to accompany the hi left jack that I always have aboard.
I keep a hi lift in every vehicle. Schit has gone seriously sideways if needed.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Wenches are great, but when I plan on getting stuck, I bring some big boards to accompany the hi left jack that I always have aboard.

Freud's a bitch.

laugh
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/11/21
I have used sagebrush too, my son suggested it and it was give it a try or do a bunch of digging. It worked but I wasn’t very stuck. A 60 foot winch extension doing a big wrap. Would be interesting. I would plan on it pulling in quite a bit before it grabbed. Would depend on how substantial the sage is, still the 4 angle irons I would not stop carrying. I think the sage might work for a winch, but winching with a hi lift jack I want angle iron. Here is me stuck again. This time in flour dust. Agin hi lift saves the day.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/12/21
One time when moose hunting we came up on some folks that had their 1 ton diesel monster truck (named the fun ton) buried up to the grill on the front end. They were loaded down with tons of gear and moose meat. Nothing they had would hold fast in the swamp for them to winch. We used out two danforth anchors set about 8' apart with some high strength climbing rope tying them together. Hooked the winch cable to the middle, and after resetting once, yarded that sucker out. They may be a bit big, but we never go out without the anchors. Used them with 6x6's and Argos as well.
Posted By: Ruger4Life Re: Winch Ground Anchors - 04/12/21
“Winches” are useful; but I’ll wager your “winch” can’t do what my “wench” does! She cleans the house, washes clothes, takes care of the finances, cooks good meals and washes the dishes. My “wench” is priceless. Ha!
© 24hourcampfire