Home
I've watched quite a few. Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket are great films. IMO, Platoon is the best movie about the Vietnam War that has ever been made. I wasn't in Vietnam, but I know a lot of vets and most who have an opinion on the matter and have seen it, agree.

I remember going and seeing it when I was in ROTC and a bunch of other cadets just happened to be there. Later, I was talking to my favorite instructor about it. He was a salty old SFC who had been with the 1st CAV over there and he told me he thought it was the best, most realistic film that mirrored his own experience greatly. Me mentioned Apocalypse Now and said it might have been a realistic film about the Green Beret experience, but he had no knowledge of that and it didn't true up with what he'd seen and done over there.

Lots of good films about Vietnam.
Platoon, hands down. Nothing else is even close.
Full Metal Jacket
Screw the movies
Talk to a vet that had his dick in the dirt
We Were Soldiers Once and Young.
We Were Soldiers movie is not remotely close to the real story. The ambush scene in Platoon is as close to realistic you can get in a movie I suppose.

The movie A Rumor of War is most like my experience in the Nam. People were getting killed but we were almost never in full out gun battles. The gooks didn't do that because they always got their asses kicked. Apocalypse Now and We were Soldiers, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket are good Hollywood fantasy but nothing like what I experienced. I served from March '70 to March of '71. Maybe things were like that earlier in the war but not when I served.

Hamburger Hill was a decent movie to watch. Don't know how realistically it portrayed that battle.
Depending on your assignments, Platoon had its moments.

I'd add Hamburger Hill to the list, too.

Another but lesser known one is The Iron Triangle.
It's interesting in that it goes into both sides as experienced by ground troops both U.S.and VC.
Lots of action but like most all war movies the explosions are greatly enhanced.

Hollywood movies are entertainment with dispersed moments of reality. They all had flashes of merit but were mostly fantasy.
My uncle survived Hamburger Hill. Only thing I ever heard him say about the vietnam war, and only because I asked him if hamburger hill movie presented a good account, he said the movie was close. Nothing else.
I my opinion really doesn't matter. Only those who served know the truism of a movie. However, for the entertainment factor Platoon is hard to beat. I like Casualties of War too.
Vietnam ended years before I was born, so my opinion is worthless here but I think it is worthwhile to mention that I distinctly remember EvilTwin (who doesn't post here anymore, but was in some pretty heated firefights in Vietnam) stating that Platoon was "the biggest pile of garbage ever" or something like that in reference to its realism.

Realism doesn't necessarily equal "best" though.
As I've gotten older I've learned to guard myself as to what I watch. Everything coming from hollywood and many other places is absolutely nothing but you the viewer paying to watch the propaganda they are selling. That's bad enough but then you're just filling your mind with junk.
Forrest Gump, though it did cover many other topics as well. I'm not qualified to say how realistic the war scenes were, but it is a great movie.
Originally Posted by sawbuck

I wasn't there, but that and Platoon are easily my favorites...
Missing in Action, DUH!
Originally Posted by KC

The movie A Rumor of War is most like my experience in the Nam. People were getting killed but we were almost never in full out gun battles. The gooks didn't do that because they always got their asses kicked. Apocalypse Now and We were Soldiers, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket are good Hollywood fantasy but nothing like what I experienced. I served from March '70 to March of '71. Maybe things were like that earlier in the war but not when I served.

That was a good movie.
Originally Posted by headhunter130
My uncle survived Hamburger Hill. Only thing I ever heard him say about the vietnam war, and only because I asked him if hamburger hill movie presented a good account, he said the movie was close. Nothing else.
I've always heard Hamburger Hill was a pretty good account.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Hamburger Hill was a decent movie to watch. Don't know how realistically it portrayed that battle.

My uncle fought in that battle, when the movie came he told don't bother watching it, then showed me a scrapbook full of photos from the battle.
I didn't go to the Nam. But seven of my high school buddies did. Joined the Marines and did a tour.
I was hanging around them when they got back. They were some wild and crazy guys there in 1970 and we partied a lot in their apartment. They had brought back a skull from Vietnam and had it painted up with day glo. Had it right in the middle of the apartment right on the coffee table in the living room. They wouldn't exactly say how they got the skull but they called it "skull" and sometimes, they would put a marijuana cigarette in the jaws of "Skull."

By the way my buddies were redneck boys from Chamblee High School in Atlanta. When they were seniors in 1967 there was, believe me, no marijuana to be had at high school. Two years later these guys were back from 'Nam and they were all smoking pot and lots of it.

So ten years later I saw Platoon, in that underground crash pad the guys were smoking a lot of pot and they had a skull on the table, front and center, that looked very realistic to me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Phil, Ronnie, and David. My friends in Vietnam. 1968
I still went and watched, some of the photos he showed me were pretty graphic.
They all have some reality stuck in somewhere, but they were made by hollywood for profit so.....

The reason you don't know a lot of what the Green Berets and SEALS really did is mostly because of the nature
or their missions and lack of imbedded news reporters. Special Forces personnel keep things pretty
close to their chest. The SEALS were on classified missions often and stayed out of sight. A lot of the Green Berets were with an
A-Team in a camp populated by indigenous peoples a long way from other friendlies.
That war REALLY sucked for the grunt who was part of taking some insignificant parsel just because......
And you could take a mortar round in your bunk in a barracks in Saigon. It all sucked.

It is hard for those who were in the [bleep] (any war) to talk about it with those who never were.
You just don't understand.

Just my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I didn't go to the Nam. But seven of my high school buddies did. Joined the Marines and did a tour.
I was hanging around them when they got back. They were some wild and crazy guys there in 1970 and we partied a lot in their apartment. They had brought back a skull from Vietnam and had it painted up with day glo. Had it right in the middle of the apartment right on the coffee table in the living room. They wouldn't exactly say how they got the skull but they called it "skull" and sometimes, they would put a marijuana cigarette in the jaws of "Skull."

By the way my buddies were redneck boys from Chamblee High School in Atlanta. When they were seniors in 1967 there was, believe me, no marijuana to be had at high school. Two years later these guys were back from 'Nam and they were all smoking pot and lots of it.

So ten years later I saw Platoon, in that underground crash pad the guys were smoking a lot of pot and they had a skull on the table, front and center, that looked very realistic to me.

My uncle flew Huey's for the 101st in Vietnam. His uncompromising stance on weed is based on what he experienced there. I differ in my own opinion, but his is based on things he saw and had happen that I can't fully appreciate. Though I DAMN sure appreciate him and what he did. We have had some very enlightening conversations since I listened to the Jocko podcasts where he talked with the MACV/SOG guys. My uncle was one of the pilots who dropped off and picked those guys up. What appreciation I thought I had for him and what he went through was nothing compared to what I feel now having a better understanding.
Originally Posted by sawbuck

+1..............
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

My uncle flew Huey's for the 101st in Vietnam. His uncompromising stance on weed is based on what he experienced there. I differ in my own opinion, but his is based on things he saw and had happen that I can't fully appreciate. Though I DAMN sure appreciate him and what he did. We have had some very enlightening conversations since I listened to the Jocko podcasts where he talked with the MACV/SOG guys. My uncle was one of the pilots who dropped off and picked those guys up. What appreciation I thought I had for him and what he went through was nothing compared to what I feel now having a better understanding.
Dick Thompson and John Stryker Meyers tell some pretty harrowing stories and those King Bee pilots were fearless.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Dick Thompson and John Stryker Meyers tell some pretty harrowing stories and those King Bee pilots were fearless.

Those were some very interesting conversations he had on there!

I am very close to my uncle, he's a big gun nut and my mentor into all things gun related. Hand loading, hunting, etc. I knew he flew huey's in Nam, and that he has a 1911 I shot a couple times that means a lot to him. But I never had a clue what he really did until after I listened to those podcasts and talked to him about them. The terms they used like "prairie fire" caused a lot of pregnant pauses on his end of the phone line. Spent a couple hours one night where I learned a whole lot more about my beloved uncle.
Blind Fury.

It's not historical or accurate, but from what I remember a couple decades ago, the blind soldier, Rutger Hauer, was a soldier who survived the war, blinded from a blast and became a swordsman. He was trained in nam and returned to America to adjust and be mocked for his disability rather than his roll in the war. Very funny and entertaining, but not really a war movie at all. It borrowed the character of the Japanese Zatoichi series. Also excellent and available for free.

Gardens of stone , is nam from stateside , good flic imo...cause I'm in it !
Originally Posted by atvalaska

I'll try to find that and check it out atvalaska.
Is it a documentary?
I have enough VietNam "footage" running in my dreams. I do NOT watch movies about it. Ground grunts had it much worse than I did; I at least had hot meals and clean sheets at night. My job was scary enough; I'd not want to add leeches and land mines to it.

I will opine this: as graphic and outrageous as some war movies are, they cannot touch reality.

People often tell me they know what a FAC did because they watched "Bat 21". Know this: Although based on a truly hairy and real event, the movie is absofookinglutely nothing like the real FAC job was.
Flight of the Intruder

Again, I was never in Vietnam. I do not purport to know what the Vietnam experience was like. I actually took a college class from the former Colonel in charge of the ROTC program who was Assistant to the President of the College at that time. His daughter was in my graduating class. He had been an Advisor there and I was one of the few who partook of his Nuoc Mam sauce on rice. I do know that these movies are fictional and just wanted the take of anybody who wishes to opine about the best movies whether the individual defines "best" as most realistic or the best movie itself.
One more thing, I remember watching a couple as a kid
Does it take God's Name in vain or have lots of language? I'm interested in history rather than entertainment and gory scenes.
the Billings Gazette did a series a few years back about the personal stories of those who served a tour in Vietnam. I always thought it was a great series that documented the personal experiences and perceptions.

Here is one that will have links to others, all are about an hour.

I have several friends who are Vietnam vets, & most of them wouldn't watch the movies about it.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have enough VietNam "footage" running in my dreams. I do NOT watch movies about it. Ground grunts had it much worse than I did; I at least had hot meals and clean sheets at night. My job was scary enough; I'd not want to add leeches and land mines to it.

I will opine this: as graphic and outrageous as some war movies are, they cannot touch reality.

People often tell me they know what a FAC did because they watched "Bat 21". Know this: Although based on a truly hairy and real event, the movie is absofookinglutely nothing like the real FAC job was.
Thats why my uncle showed me the pics of that battle.
I was already out of the Army when Vietnam blew up, was never in any combat, so make no claim to knowing "how it was" in Vietnam. I will say, however, that the movie Platoon, was written and directed by Oliver Stone, who joined the Army and served in Vietnam for 1½ tours with the 25th Inf., and the 1st Cav. He was a LRRP. Bronze Star V, and two purple hearts.

I saw a picture of him when he'd just come back from a mission and I know that the combat vets here would instantly recognize that "1,000 yard stare" in his eyes.

I've seen Stone interviewed about Platoon and he stated that some of what he wrote and filmed was a combination of several soldiers he knew, including the character "Sgt. Barnes." Events were put together from different Vietnam areas where he served to make a particular scene more "interesting."

War movies, no matter which war, are unable to ever capture "the real thing" totally. As mentioned, they are written and filmed as entertainment, not for documentaries.

FWIW.

L.W.
Roger, I'm friends with Darryl Whitcomb who not only was a technical adviser to Bat 21 but was one of the lead FACS flying in that days-long rescue effort. One who survived it, obviously. Several FACs, fighter jocks, and numerous helo crews did not. Darryl just shakes his head at how the movie turned out - as do any other actual FACs.

I've said before that Vietnam was not one war; it was half a million wars as seen through the eyes of everyone who went there. There was opportunity for terror even by the 70% or so of people who went to Vietnam and never saw combat first-hand. Rocket and mortar attacks could kill you at any moment; a cute little girl could drop a grenade into your jeep on a routine trip into town; the smiling barber could slit your throat on a whim. Many could and did die of a bug bite.

It was a literally [bleep] war, but it was the only one we had at the time. It changed me forever. In my mission, I was the last molecule on the tip of the spear and flew every day 100 miles into enemy territory - alone - with a $10,000 in gold bounty on my head. I quit counting after half a million rounds fired at me. I often carried so much adrenaline that I'd puke the minute I got out of my plane. That was MY Vietnam, and it was easy in comparison to some others'.
It was a long war fought by many troops over a large area.No movie of which I am aware represents anything but snapshots of individual events, mostly poorly portrayed. We Were Soldiers is the closest in representing a large unit engaged w/ the NVA.

From many conversations w/ fellow vets I learned that everyone had a different war and a huge variety of experiences depending on time place and unit.

The professionalism, valor and effectiveness of small units such as MACV/SOG and various LRRP and Recon units has been ignored by hollywood. The level of savagery common to the NVA and VC against their own people and our troops has been largely ignored also.

mike r
Mike, I was MACV/SOG. With a Mike callsign!
Roger, I'm friends with Darryl Whitcomb who not only was a technical adviser to Bat 21 but was one of the lead FACS flying in that days-long rescue effort. One who survived it, obviously. Several FACs, fighter jocks, and numerous helo crews did not. Darryl just shakes his head at how the movie turned out - as do any other actual FACs.

I've said before that Vietnam was not one war; it was half a million wars as seen through the eyes of everyone who went there. There was opportunity for terror even by the 70% or so of people who went to Vietnam and never saw combat first-hand. Rocket and mortar attacks could kill you at any moment; a cute little girl could drop a grenade into your jeep on a routine trip into town; the smiling barber could slit your throat on a whim. Many could and did die of a bug bite.

It was a literally [bleep] war, but it was the only one we had at the time. It changed me forever. In my mission, I was the last molecule on the tip of the spear and flew every day 100 miles into enemy territory - alone - with a $10,000 in gold bounty on my head. I quit counting after half a million rounds fired at me. I often carried so much adrenaline that I'd puke the minute I got out of my plane. That was MY Vietnam, and it was easy in comparison to some others'.

my uncle fought on hamburger hill. he served two tours over there went back for the combat pay, was a gunner on a helicopter, was shot down twice. he died three months before my mom 7 yrs ago. he claimed it was agent orange that gave him cancer.
He was most probably right, Rog. Not really worth that extra $2 a day, was it?
Any thoughts about the book The 13th Valley?

It was fiction based on supposed real events. I read it three times in my 20s and 30s, and a lot of other books on the subject. I always like this one the best and thought it might make a good movie.
I made the trip. Twice. FMJ wasn't particularly good but for one thing. I painted a very good picture of many of who got to die there.
Tropic Thunder.

Definitely Tropic Thunder.
Great flick, Mackay.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
We Were Soldiers
My experience with a different conflict was that "war" is roughly 99% boredom and 1% absolute insaneness, once you're over the initial excitement/stress of being in country or outside the wire to begin with.

That doesn't make for good TV or entertainment for the masses.
Jarhead had its faults, but it did portray how killing machines are forced to kill time instead.
probably the best and most accurate "movie" I saw was actually an interview with a fighter pilot and his Public Information Officer.

Probably more accurate than most:

What the Captain Means is...

Another vote for Full Metal Jacket.
84 Charlie MOPIC.

For a (low budget) movie, it is pretty good.
Green Beret --- the Duke was in it. smile
Having held both those jobs in the Air Force, I laugh my coddangle off every time I see it.
Mike, I was MACV/SOG. With a Mike callsign!

You hung out w/ some real warriors, welcome home. I am anticipating a great party in Valhalla.

mike r
Served in Bco 3/187th and Bco 1/506th in my time.
Between 13 to 20 may the 3 yrs I was in 3/187th here at Ftcky.
The whole Battalion would do a 6 mile run on the desiginated thursday in that time line and take the friday as a DONSA tied in with the weekend.
Then we would have a Battalion formation at the theater at 9 am.
CSM would do a roll call of the KIA from the Battle....
Each name called 3 times.
Silence.....

And then we would watch Hamburger Hill.

Hamburger Hill is the one I think is best.
You cant do the war with one. You need a few.

The Quiet American for the French Involvement

Green Berets, campy propoganda but good for the Advisory Stage

We Were Soldiers for America taking over the war

Full Metal Jacket for Tet

Platoon. Compare the Army of 1965 (We Were Soldiers) to the post Tet Army (even if Platoon was supposed to take place in 67)

When Heaven and Earth changed Places

Hamburger Hill for the last major search and destroy mission

The Killing Fields for the aftermath

There are others....
Another movie I thought was interesting was Go Tell The Spartans, with Burt Lancaster. About the early days when some of our soldiers were advisors (not S.F.), before everything blew up in Vietnam.

L.W.
So I've taken it upon myself to learn more about Vietnam and what our guys went through there. Not much into the movies, but I have watched all the above - even did a term paper back in the day on 84Charlie MoPic, which is the MOS for the film guys. My choice is to watch the Vietnam History project which is a narrative from Vets who were there. I've watched the personal stories of at least 200 Vietnam Vets of every MOS imaginable plus some female nurses. They go from enlistment/draft notice all the way to discharge and what happened after their service. Truly awe inspiring.

Some things that are prevalent through out: When they first land in DaNang the smell and humidity hitting them square in the face coming off the plane or first time seeing the buses with chicken wire over the windows or the look in the eyes of the guys in faded, red clay stained uniforms who were departing on the Freedom Bird. All of their stories are very personal and individual. Not all were in combat, but it seemed all were under constant threat of a rocket (120?) attack or the randomness of it. And the fact that they really didn't go over as a group or even a squad, but as individuals - and left in the same manner. There are a number of these different narratives on different platforms out there, you-tube, podcasts, etc. I highly encourage those who want to know more to listen to these guys. They will forever have my respect.

Watch this one. 100% American Bad Ass. RIP Frenchman. "Just another day in SOG".
Originally Posted by atvalaska

No sh*t, that's my brother's favorite, he was there. He was infantry, saw some pretty heavy fighting, went into Cambodia. He didn't like platoon or the other popular ones, didnt think they were realistic. Not that they weren't good flics, he just didn't think it could be portrayed accurately in a Hollywood film.

I don't know if the phrase originated in that movie, but it sure popularized "opinions are like a**holes..."
Deer Hunter was hard to watch when it first came out in theaters. It really touched on the human psyche element of the war.

A good book I've read several times that had an effect on me was "Tunnels of Cu Chi". Those tunnel rats were badass. Nerves of steel.
Top 10 Vietnam War Movies
Another good one is "The Siege of Firebase Gloria" starring Lee Ermey. Prime Video offers it for free.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Another good one is "The Siege of Firebase Gloria" starring Lee Ermey. Prime Video offers it for free.

This scene with Ermey cracks me up.

Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Deer Hunter was hard to watch when it first came out in theaters. It really touched on the human psyche element of the war.

A good book I've read several times that had an effect on me was "Tunnels of Cu Chi". Those tunnel rats were badass. Nerves of steel.

One of my favorite books.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Platoon. Compare the Army of 1965 (We Were Soldiers) to the post Tet Army (even if Platoon was supposed to take place in 67)

There are others....

Director Pierre Schoendorffer’s "Dien Bien Phu" is a interesting study on that cluster****. A lot of back story info in it!

Btw, he was there and captured by the Viet Minh in’54.
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Probably the worst VN genre movie, ever made.
A guy I know was the unit in we were solders.... the stores he told were much worse that the movie. Running out of ammo, hearing enemy crawling around in the bush at night trying to find you, lost his best friend and 3/4 of his unit.
Originally Posted by Jim1611
As I've gotten older I've learned to guard myself as to what I watch. Everything coming from hollywood and many other places is absolutely nothing but you the viewer paying to watch the propaganda they are selling. That's bad enough but then you're just filling your mind with junk.

👆🏻👆🏻THIS x 1000👆🏻👆🏻
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

There are others....

Director Pierre Schoendorffer’s "Dien Bien Phu" is a interesting study on that cluster****. A lot of back story info in it!

Btw, he was there and captured by the Viet Minh in’54.
Street Without Joy by Dr. Bernard Fall.

Originally Posted by Tide_Change

The real kicker about the Cu Chi tunnels is a good bit of the tunnel complex ran directly beneath a major U.S. Military base.
I don't think there's a definitive Vietnam experience.
I've known men that would start sweating and need
a cigarette at the mention of it. One co worker that
dove under a work bench when a vehicle in for
service backfired a couple of stalls over.
Known others that grinned a psychopathic grin and
declared they'd love to go back tomorrow.
Many in-betweeners also
Good Morning Vietnam....
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Yeah, real f uckin' funny. Had you been there I don't think you be laughing.

USMC 68-71 RVN 69-70

Semper Fi.
I liked We Were Soldiers, but I wasn't there.
Originally Posted by JeffP
Screw the movies

I did it - not directly. Just a few days ago I finished watching the PBS-DVD of the war in Vietnam by Ken Burns. I am of 1963 vintage and can only remember vaguely from news on radio and TV here in Germany but honestly I didn't know by that time what was going on.
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by JeffP
Screw the movies

I did it - not directly. Just a few days ago I finished watching the PBS-DVD of the war in Vietnam by Ken Burns. I am of 1963 vintage and can only remember vaguely from news on radio and TV here in Germany but honestly I didn't know by that time what was going on.

My dad was in West Germany in ‘63. I was made there and born there.

P
I have been mildly entertained by some of the movies, but none told of my experience. And perhaps few others, too. .
I guess you had to have been there. I sometimes think most of the guys who talk schit about it probably were gate guards at the big px. I think sometimes that I have a good case of PTSD or just fugging crazy. Not ever going to pursue that line since I’m 100% disability rated already and don’t need the do-gooders coming after my weapons.

Thanks to all the brothers who served.
I have read "The Tunnels of Cu Chi" several times. Great book about the war. One chapter is about the tunnel rats, and the next chapter is telling the war story from the point of view of the VC.
I remember being a kid and walking by the Deer Hunter at blockbuster or whereever...being into deer hunting I always wondered why mom and dad never rented it for me. I remember asking about it in the store. Then I got older and watched it.
I've been in some coochi tunnels before. Generally speaking, it is an experience you won't forget. Hot and stinky and I agree you may be sweating and need a smoke after.
I saw The Deer Hunter when it came out. Me and a couple of pards were in a crowded theater and when it got to the rat scene it was dead silence then some dude in the audience is like "arraggghhhhhh!!" Evidently a vet having a flashback.
Some things aren't in the movies..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I respect the hell out of anyone who served in combat. I find the stories very heroic and would like to listen any podcast available in a soldiers own words.

LEO and military have my respect. To many young people have no clue what has been sacrificed by many.
Originally Posted by add

One of the best. Well at least to Americans. Communist and lberal idiots didn't like the Green Berets.
The first time I saw The Green Berets I was in Nha Trang serving with the 5th SFGA.

Way to many bird colonels and high level parties, at least from my experience.

As with all the Hollywood products, some good, some bad and some utter BS.

I do have the John Wayne poster on my wall though.
Originally Posted by akasparky
Some things aren't in the movies..

[Linked Image]

]

I always thought this (jungles?) was the best combat/utility/fatigue uniform the US military ever had!
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Originally Posted by add

One of the best. Well at least to Americans. Communist and lberal idiots didn't like the Green Berets.

The political message the Duke was trying to convey, was 100% spot on. It wasn't an internal civil war, but an obvious attempt at communist expansion..loved the movie
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've been in some coochi tunnels before. Generally speaking, it is an experience you won't forget. Hot and stinky and I agree you may be sweating and need a smoke after.

If there was a Beaver Award for best double entendre post of the year on the campfire, this one would be a contender.
For sure! ^^^^^^^^
Just received my copy in the mail. Someone on the fire recommended it.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Yeah, real f uckin' funny. Had you been there I don't think you be laughing.

USMC 68-71 RVN 69-70

Semper Fi.

This is the textbook defensive combat training video used by USMC to train Officers as part of SOI.

Been there, done that.
© 24hourcampfire