Home
Stocks at an all time high, real estate at ridiculous levels, squat for interest at the bank...........Market has a feel that a pull back in coming soon. Begs the question, where to put a couple grand?
Fixed income the last 3 months.Waiting on the Biden crash.
Savage 99’s
Mejico
Tangibles
Pay down every bill you can. Save as much as you can and wait for the market to crash, then get in.
Real estate
For me, crypto
Originally Posted by xxclaro
For me, crypto

Which and how ?
Originally Posted by centershot
Stocks at an all time high, real estate at ridiculous levels, squat for interest at the bank...........Market has a feel that a pull back in coming soon. Begs the question, where to put a couple grand?

In the markets. In the same place I've been putting it since 1989. If you're asking for short term safety that's one thing, if you're asking for short term growth that's another. When do you want your money back?
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Pay down every bill you can. Save as much as you can and wait for the market to crash, then get in.

I often wonder how it would feel to be sitting on the sidelines for this, and now I know.
Long-term food, water, precious metals (#1 lead; #2 silver)
Posted By: WMR Re: Where you investing currently? - 04/13/21
This seems like an impossible question without knowing the context. What is your time horizon? Do you have existing debt you could pay off? Other emergency funds available, etc. If you might need it soon, just parking it in a money market or bank account might make sense. If you're sitting flush, a good gun deal is never a bad idea. Sounds like a good dilemma to have!
Posted By: EdM Re: Where you investing currently? - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by Pugs

In the markets. In the same place I've been putting it since 1989. If you're asking for short term safety that's one thing, if you're asking for short term growth that's another. When do you want your money back?

Yep, though I started in 1985. Our three properties, one here in Texas and two in north Idaho, will never be sold by us. A few months ago I was kicking about buying a small ranch here in Texas and, while a solid investment, decided it would be more that I want to take care of.
Houses.
Originally Posted by WMR
This seems like an impossible question without knowing the context. What is your time horizon? Do you have existing debt you could pay off? Other emergency funds available, etc. If you might need it soon, just parking it in a money market or bank account might make sense. If you're sitting flush, a good gun deal is never a bad idea. Sounds like a good dilemma to have!

Short term, year or two. Only owe on the house and owe about 20% of current value on it. Financed at 3.125%, 401(k) is in good shape and being left alone. Cars paid for, no credit card debt, etc. This is just some extra cash - It is a nice dilemma but really don't want too much under the mattress - would be nice to outpace inflation at least while keeping it liquid for some market timing. Would love to spend some of it on Reloder 16.
In that situation with just a couple of grand? I'd buy an ETF fund at Vanguard and try to pile on more each month. Not a lot you can do with $2000 really other than try to grow it.
Originally Posted by Ruger4Life
Long-term food, water, precious metals (#1 lead; #2 silver)

Good Grief

Define "soon"
Mutual funds. I'm ready to buy when the market crashes. I'm thinking October. That seems to be the month for stocks to take a hit. People get to rethinking a summer of growth and fun times and cash out for the winter. If it takes a dive this year by the time I am ready to start using my IRA's in 5 years things will have recovered nicely.

kwg
Posted By: WMR Re: Where you investing currently? - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by WMR

Short term, year or two. Only owe on the house and owe about 20% of current value on it. Financed at 3.125%, 401(k) is in good shape and being left alone. Cars paid for, no credit card debt, etc. This is just some extra cash - It is a nice dilemma but really don't want too much under the mattress - would be nice to outpace inflation at least while keeping it liquid for some market timing. Would love to spend some of it on Reloder 16.

Way to go! It sounds like you are pretty much financially bulletproof. In your case, I'd be thinking of spending some of it on a gift or a short vacay with my sweetie! Or with the kids, too if that applied. Make a memory. You've earned it. Congratulations.
What do they say about politics,religion and money?....

Lead.
If you have a place of business (not your home) put up a sign and buy pre 1965 silver for $15 on the dollar face value. That is more than any pawn shop will pay them and it is worth that even with no collector value. Don't make your home a robbery target.
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Lead.

+1000
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
For me, crypto

Which and how ?

About 50% divided between Eth and Btc, the rest in mostly big cap alt coins and some small cap hopefuls.
For me, crypto

Which and how ?

About 50% divided between Eth and Btc, the rest in mostly big cap alt coins and some small cap hopefuls.

Thanks xxclaro.

You’ve covered the spectrum it appears.
I know this southern stock broker, Rene something. His daily turnover is probably over 2K. He might franchise his operation for a ride at the Golden Corral.

Bitcoin is a good one.

Another choice would be to leverage it with a low interest loan and then invest in something like real estate.

If you really like risk then short the US dollar but given the rest of world is in as big or bigger of a mess than we are it probably wouldn't turn out well.
Heavy metals, namely copper and lead. 100-200 gr at a time.
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Bitcoin is a good one.

Another choice would be to leverage it with a low interest loan and then invest in something like real estate.

If you really like risk then short the US dollar but given the rest of world is in as big or bigger of a mess than we are it probably wouldn't turn out well.

You can bet we are in for some rough sledding. The government has so much technology now to track transactions. You can look for crypto and metal to have some huge penalties. They CANNOT allow alternative money. Remember 1933 when they outlawed gold.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Houses.

Location ? Cave City ?

Or Elizabethtown?
Centershot: Guns, ammo and optics.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’m saving and will buy when the crash comes.

The specific answer to your specific question,

Do nothing with that couple grand other than in a money market or under the mattress,

Anything that's extremely liquid,

When the drop comes, then you buy.....

Don't buy before the drop

Don't tie up the capital before the drop.
I wonder what percentage of the “market timers” get it right.
The drop means nothing. Invest now! Look at almost any stock or ETF and the drop will add up to cents.
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

Define "soon"

Want the winning powerball numbers also? Just my own gut feeling that we are in for a correction 'soon'. Maybe when people realize that the stimulus payments have stopped and the price of everything has increased. My guess is within a year.

I do have some in Fidelity: FDVLX, FZROX and FSAGX. They have been doing well but 'if/when" my gut correction happens I don't think those will hold up well.

This is kind of investing as a hobby money - not big bucks but growing.
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan

That was last spring.
Seriously thinking about Hot Sauce and Soothing Suppositories.

Think their is money to be made investing in both.
Seems like they might be interlinked products after reading the hot sauce thread....
That Bitcoin is gonna bite alot people in the azz I bet when whomever decides to yank the rug and cash in on that giant ponzi scheme.

JMO...
Originally Posted by renegade50
That Bitcoin is gonna bite alot people in the azz I bet when whomever decides to yank the rug and cash in on that giant ponzi scheme.JMO...
You might be right.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

That was last spring.

I did pretty good on that dip! Would like to give it another go.
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Real estate

Yup, and if you're finding it by online listings you're a sucker.

Do you're research, it's a buyer's market if you know where to look
Stocks and realestate are in a bubble that will burst and crush a lot of people. The same for crypto. Right now I'm in cash, being patient. When lumber drops I'll build some rentals, or if realestate crashes I'll buy some as long as inflation doesn't kill me first. If the market finally starts rolling over I'll go short in leveraged fund like SQQQ. Be patient, opportunities will come around like always and you will need cash to take advantage of them.

I'm pretty tempted to sell my current house, but renting a place at 2500 a month will get old fast.
I'm thinkin' of lookin' into this plasma thing...
Posted By: pal Re: Where you investing currently? - 04/13/21
I have been investing in old machinery that will make me money.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Seafoam...
Originally Posted by Hastings
That Bitcoin is gonna bite alot people in the azz I bet when whomever decides to yank the rug and cash in on that giant ponzi scheme.JMO...
You might be right.

I don't think there will be a "rug pull" so to speak, although hard correction is certainly possible and even likely. There are I believe 9 applications in now for Bitcoin Etf's in the US,and at least one is almost certain to get approved. Coinbase IPO goes tomorrow on the NYSE.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Stocks and realestate are in a bubble that will burst and crush a lot of people. The same for crypto. Right now I'm in cash, being patient. When lumber drops I'll build some rentals, or if realestate crashes I'll buy some as long as inflation doesn't kill me first. If the market finally starts rolling over I'll go short in leveraged fund like SQQQ. Be patient, opportunities will come around like always and you will need cash to take advantage of them.

I'm pretty tempted to sell my current house, but renting a place at 2500 a month will get old fast.

Being in cash is the absolute worst place to be, once inflation is realized the value of cash will fall to nothing over night. History has shown this. That is if you're cash is in USD. I wish you the best of luck but I think you're riding for a fall. They aren't making more land but they are printing more money. It's really that simple.
My wife and I have also been thinking about where to put our cash.

Actually I have been doing most of the 'thinking', she would say just leave it in savings but she is beyond conservative when it comes to money.

It'll come down to buying another house or more cows.

Even out here in poor man country the housing market is slim pickens...

Very little inventory and HIGH rental demand.

This ^^^

kwg
Originally Posted by pal

That is one monster lathe. Who makes it ?

kwg
$2,000..... hookers & blow..... next question?. smile
Originally Posted by irfubar

Okay, $50k?

(really hot hookers???)
Posted By: pal Re: Where you investing currently? - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by pal

That is one monster lathe. Who makes it ?

kwg

It is an 18" x 51" Okuma LS, made in Japan in 1968. More info here.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Being in cash is the absolute worst place to be, once inflation is realized the value of cash will fall to nothing over night. History has shown this. That is if you're cash is in USD. I wish you the best of luck but I think you're riding for a fall. They aren't making more land but they are printing more money. It's really that simple.

The government's printing press will win(unfortunately). That said, it seems more likely that we will end up closer to Japan than Zimbabwe.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Real estate

Yup, and if you're finding it by online listings you're a sucker.

Do you're research, it's a buyer's market if you know where to look

Exactly, 3 months ago bought 31 lots backed up to a vineyard in Texas for stupid cheap. No realtor involved, not even a for sale by owner sign.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Okay, $50k?

(really hot hookers???)

And a limo!!!
Right now I'm very good with my investments, have a nice balance in my checking and savings accounts, own my house and other real estate free and clear, no car payments, so every now and then I get a few thousand dollars through a little side job and for now I'm investing in Gold and Silver. Been doing this for about 20 years, have made most of my money with Silver, and good increases in Gold. I don't sell or trade, just put it in my deposit box at the bank. If I don't use it, my kids and grand kids will have fun playing with it.
My stash is for "when everything else goes South" sort of like a good cash of ammo and food.

No, the worst thing to do is panic and buy into the top. Buy low and sell high, and be patient in between. There are are chitload of foreclosures coming, and that's what I do really well. This market is abnormal and it isn't going to end well.
I do believe the OP specified "a couple grand" to invest...and for that I believe nothing else offers the opportunity that crypto does right now.

No, the worst thing to do is panic and buy into the top. Buy low and sell high, and be patient in between. There are are chitload of foreclosures coming, and that's what I do really well. This market is abnormal and it isn't going to end well.

Agree to disagree. You think we're still sailing in chartered waters. I understand your confidence and at any other time I'd say you are spot on and are hedged to make bank. I wish you the best but to me the play is to buy from those who have a little excess that are getting warned to sell before the market caves like you think it's going to. However when the dollar plummets tangible assets are going to be holding the wealth.
Maybe when the dollar plummets your cash position will hold....... My magic 8ball says no though..... At a minimum I'd say diversify but don't look too internet listings to find a margin, you'll be the 9th piglet to an 8 tited sow
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Okay, $50k?

(really hot hookers???)

And a limo!!!

Only if you chauffeur!
I keep hearing of the rich folk buying more farm properties. Can anyone here lend me $10 million so I can get in on it too?
For jbmi. If everything goes to hell, The doors on that bank are going to be locked tight. Often wondered if there where another set of keys for those boxes?
ICL

Square

ARKK ETF

ARKK has the best upside potential IMHO.

I am also a big fan of hard commodities.

But before you invest in anything make sure you have a plan to get any potential Auto Parts you might need over the next year or two... also any other household items you might need.

I can see China raising prices on us dramatically in the future... or simply stopping all trade when they move on the Philippines etc.
My strategy starting in 2011 was to buy rental properties. Rates were low and property prices were reasonable. I thought we were heading for hyperinflation then at the rate Obama was spending. I had lots of people telling me I should be getting out of debt because hyperinflation was coming.

That never made sense to me. I kept thinking that if hyperinflation was coming I wanted to be leveraged into several properties with fixed rate mortgages. I unfortunately got physically sick and also tired of being a landlord. I sold most of my houses starting around 2016. I wish I would have held them until now. It turns out inflation did come I just didn't wait long enough.

I've got one nice rental house left that I only owe about $79,000 on and I have a standing offer on it for $285,000 if I want to sell it. People keep telling me to use my cash on hand to just pay it off. I don't see the point in paying it off when I'm locked in at such a good rate. It's our last debt even our main house is paid off and flows enough to make twice the payment. We do worry about the leftist telling people they don't have to pay rent.

I'm still heavy in cash looking for some other investment deal. I'm worried I'm going to get caught holding too much cash in the bank when the dollar drops big time but try to balance having some on hand if a deal comes along. I'm fearful of the stock market and bonds seem no good when rates have nowhere to go but up.

I'm thinking about just buying a bunch more gold. I would have already if premiums weren't so high. The local shop has 20 gold 1 ounce kangaroos coming in this week at $100 over spot. I'm thinking about buying them.

Bb
Also put money into big pharma and Monsanto.
diversify. if you figure out how to time any market, promise you'll tell us. a lot of folks buy only when it seems a sure thing. conversely, don't sell soon enough.
on falls.

paying attention to stocks daily (trading) is real work and is what you pay fund managers to do for you.
We still have some wheat left to sell and I watch that market daily.

It has potential with the drought conditions.

Agree to disagree. You think we're still sailing in chartered waters. I understand your confidence and at any other time I'd say you are spot on and are hedged to make bank. I wish you the best but to me the play is to buy from those who have a little excess that are getting warned to sell before the market caves like you think it's going to. However when the dollar plummets tangible assets are going to be holding the wealth.
Maybe when the dollar plummets your cash position will hold....... My magic 8ball says no though..... At a minimum I'd say diversify but don't look too internet listings to find a margin, you'll be the 9th piglet to an 8 tited sow

A big chunk of my wealth is tied up in real estate, that's done pretty well this year. Cash is king when there is blood in the streets.
I'm in all cash right now. It's been a good ride but everything feels like a massive bubble. I'm also extremely concerned about the Marxist impact on pretty much every aspect of our lives, including the markets.
I just love reading about all this Biden prosperity.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Centershot: Guns, ammo and optics.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG, you're a man after my own heart.

Add quality projectiles of popular calibers at ~ $.10/ea or less.
Market timing is for fools.
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I'm in all cash right now. It's been a good ride but everything feels like a massive bubble. I'm also extremely concerned about the Marxist impact on pretty much every aspect of our lives, including the markets.

I'm sitting on a wad too, Jake. Waiting for opportunties.

Still buying hard goods for fun, and maybe some profit.
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Don't disagree.

But read Stormin_Norman's last statement.

except for last April, March of 2009, May of 2000.

Id at least open up a trading account at fidelity, TD Ameritrade etc. Put in into a cash account and wait for market dips and invest into commodities some eutherium on Coinbase . 2020 was an incredible year for investing
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I'm sitting on a wad too, Jake. Waiting for opportunties.

Still buying hard goods for fun, and maybe some profit.

Buying and holding has worked well for a long time. The fundamental transformation is rapidly accelerating in front of our eyes. Every time an exploitable incident happens we have multiple places in the country that resemble 3rd world countries. There's a social sea change underway and it could easily cause a sea change in the long standing investing paradigms that have fueled wealth for many people for decades. Hell, we may even have a civil war in the coming years. Ultimately, I think we will soon sea long periods of highly volatile markets up and down as opposed to longer term trending. I'm trying to iron out option straddles strategies that will hopefully allow me to make money whether the market goes up or down medium term. As I get closer and closer to retiring, I have less and less desire to buy and hold because I don't trust the commies with my country and markets.
I’ll stick with less cash and more hard assets.

The real inflation rate is a bit over 7%. If you are saving cash and it's just sitting you are losing 7% a year. How many years until the crash?

S&P index was up nearly 16% last year, the Nasdaq index up 43% last year. Might as well open a Schwab account and let it sit there until the crash.

Saw some semi-auto Barrett .50's on sale yesterday. smile
Two assets do well in inflationary times, cash flowing real estate and stocks...... problem is both seem to be entering bubble territory.....or not?
Perilous times for an investor.

A lot less than 5k? Lol

Blood and semen.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Blood and semen.

Depends on what it makes..

Some people may be able to do it, but when I tried in 1982-1994, all I did was loose money.
I bought Cisco and Microsoft and all the things that would have made me rich, but I sold at a loss at the first down turn.

I lost so much money, that if someone could figure out what I did, and do the opposite, they would get rich.

Then I switched from being a technical market timer, to a fundamentalist long term investor.

What is the long term annual compounded return on:
Gold 3%
Guns 3%
Guitars 3%
Real estate 6%
Real estate [with 20% down payment] = 30%
Stocks 9%
Google over 27 years = 12%
Amazon over 24 years = 35%
Microsoft over 35 years = 25%
Apple over 40 years = 19%
paccar over 41 years = 11%
purchasing power of US dollar over 50 years = -3.7%

LOL
It's interesting how many people think that what worked in the past will just keep working forever, as if this country isn't fundamentally changing for the worse, and doing so at an ever accelerating rate.

It's not actually prosperity caused by this joke biden fool... it is actually a precursor to the inflation that is actually occurring.

Over and over I hear people say that there is no inflation because the CPI says there is no inflation.

The CPI is set by the Bureau of Labor Statistics which is the federal government.

Of course they're going to say there is no inflation. They lie about everything.

If the cost of building materials has gone up 400% half of that is potentially seasonal and half of it is true inflation. If your stock portfolio has gone up 200% you are at best keeping even.
Right, but you might need to change your screen name.
It's interesting how many people think that what worked in the past will just keep working forever, as if this country isn't fundamentally changing for the worse, and doing so at an ever accelerating rate.

Have to adapt to change. Hence the crypto vs precious metals. And Tech Still good, diversify add actual commodities in rough times
Right, but you might need to change your screen name.

LOL...

I get that all the time. My screen name came about a dozen or so years ago on another forum. I had a Browning shotgun for sale and I kept getting trade offers of broken microwave ovens and spinner rims with curb rash. Figured Cash Is King got to this point rather quickly that I wasn't abundantly interested in trade offers of crap for quality.
Originally Posted by Fiddy

EXACTLY...

You CPI tracking guys... are the above included in the CPI?
Originally Posted by Whiptail
The government's printing press will win(unfortunately). That said, it seems more likely that we will end up closer to Japan than Zimbabwe.
Maybe more like Argentina. It was at one time one of the wealthiest countries on earth. Then they learn to make money out of thin air. As Ben Franklin said "experience keeps a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other". What we are doing has been tried before and the immutable laws governing economics are immutable.
When I was in college in 1971, I was shocked to learn most college students do not understand percentages.
Imagine when they see a supply demand curve. If you have enough supply, the demand goes negative.

[Linked Image from ichef.bbci.co.uk]

watching the futures market is part of farming. it's surprising how many think using futures to hedge is 'funny business' and is unfair.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

It's not actually prosperity caused by this joke biden fool... it is actually a precursor to the inflation that is actually occurring.

Over and over I hear people say that there is no inflation because the CPI says there is no inflation.

The CPI is set by the Bureau of Labor Statistics which is the federal government.

Of course they're going to say there is no inflation. They lie about everything.

If the cost of building materials has gone up 400% half of that is potentially seasonal and half of it is true inflation. If your stock portfolio has gone up 200% you are at best keeping even.

I should have put <humor>.

The Biden prosperity is a bubble crammed with different flavors of bulshit.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Some people may be able to do it, but when I tried in 1982-1994, all I did was loose money.
I bought Cisco and Microsoft and all the things that would have made me rich, but I sold at a loss at the first down turn.

I lost so much money, that if someone could figure out what I did, and do the opposite, they would get rich.

Then I switched from being a technical market timer, to a fundamentalist long term investor.

What is the long term annual compounded return on:
Gold 3%
Guns 3%
Guitars 3%
Real estate 6%
Real estate [with 20% down payment] = 30%
Stocks 9%
Google over 27 years = 12%
Amazon over 24 years = 35%
Microsoft over 35 years = 25%
Apple over 40 years = 19%
paccar over 41 years = 11%
purchasing power of US dollar over 50 years = -3.7%

Originally Posted by Pugs

If you're asking for short term safety that's one thing, if you're asking for short term growth that's another. When do you want your money back?

100%
For me, crypto

Which and how ?

ETH has done well for me as has DOGE.

Real Estate in the right locale and at the right price! Yes there are some bargains to be had still, though harder to find now they do still exist.

Major staples in the Stock Market are still good investments. Watch the daily trends for a few weeks and you'll be able to pick up shares on a downside.

Everyone claims they make money in coins, yet from my investigating mainly only the dealers truly make real profits. Yup I know a whole lot of you are going to jump on here and say otherwise! Good for you, I wish everyone success in any and all investments they make.
I hope you're still holding that Doge! Wish I was, but sold mine back around .10.
I hope you're still holding that Doge! Wish I was, but sold mine back around .10.

I sold to recoup my initial investment, I have my profits riding now.
For the short term...I'd invest in material things that may disappear in a nanny state...non-def dependent tractors and equipment, imported magazines like glock 30 round mags and home grown scary ones like ar 20 and 30 rounders, any drum magazine that you like, any non california compliant platform/parts that you like...these are things that could disappear with pen strokes. Like freaking gas cans that have been over-engineered and forced upon the rest of the US because of some save us from ourselves philosophy.

Exactly Beanman!

Amazing how many on here can predict the market among other matters.
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

Exactly Beanman!

Amazing how many on here can predict the market among other matters.

I predict ammo, guns, loading components, and loading equipment will become scarce.. and valuable.

"Hard goods".

Lol. smile
I have $16,000 waiting since January . So far I have lost a good 5 or 6%. I cant wait forever so I am going to invest in consumer staples.

1)Delmonte
2) gold ( trust)
3) gold miners ETF (gld) I think
4)Renolds ( tin foil)
5) Clorax
6 Proctor & Gamble
7) Campbells soup
8) Kimberly Clark

I also decided to buy a TC Renegade 50 cal. muzzleloader for 300 bucks , just cause , ya never know.

It is kind of my own home made consumer staples ETF... Most of these did not go through the roof last year and the ones that did ( Clorox) are coming down enough that they are in the buy price range and over sold.
© 24hourcampfire