Home
This tractor was on the sale yesterday.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
About perfect for most folks
I used to see the Fords with single rib front tires.
Any idea what it sold for? Or the asking price?
No, I was watching wood fence posts. Son Jake went to buy a corn planter.
It might be listed here?
[img]https://iowaauction.net/april-14-2021-pma-auction/[/img]
I have one of those with a diesel.
Bristoe needs a pair of them.
My father=in-law had two Olivier diesels they ran on little fuel.
There is a 901 Ford selling Friday near Alta, Iowa.
Ah. the old selecto jerk shift.
Dad had one of those and a 4000SuperUtility, a little 53 horse tractor, that did all he needed it to do. Dad had a small place, though, compared to others around there.
I'd go get this one if I had a place to put it.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/grq/d/washington-ford-8n-tractor/7295130473.html
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Nice.
It's amazing and a testament to how well these were built that they're still in use, along with allot other old iron.
I have an 841 with a factory Ford front end loader. It's super handy around our acreage.
I sort of grew up running a ford NAA with hydrophilic loader.
A friend of mine has an 8N for sale in Dyment. It might be a 9. If you're interested I can get his contact information to you.
I had a 63 model grey hood 4000 that I really liked. Basically the same tractor as the 801, 841/61. It was perfect for what I was using it for.. I really liked the seat vs. control location, the power & size was just right. But it had a bunch of hours on it got to the point it was going to need more work than it was worth so I traded it for a new, similar specked Kubota. I never took to it & got rid of it, & went to an older JD. I still miss the Ford.

Selecto-speeds are neat as hell IMO, when they're right. Some love 'em some hate 'em, but I found they're really handy. But, parts are getting scarce, & maybe even scarcer are the mechanics that know how to "correctly" repair them. They even require special tools that are scarce a well.

A good hobby unit, but working one hard is gonna get tougher as they keep getting older..
Those older tractors are better than nothing. But with no low range and no live pto those old tractors are hard to get along with.
A boom pole and a length of 1/4" chain has turned into one of my most useful attachments for my tractor.

After I drop a tree, I hook the chain about 6' up from the base of the trunk, lift it off the ground with the boom, then slice pieces off of it like it's a roll of Bologna. When I cut up to the chain, I set it down, move the chain up and continue cutting,...limbing as I go.

You can dissect a tree pretty quick like that without having to worry about the saw getting in a pinch.

I drag the tree back to the burn pit before I start cutting it up, get the fire going, and just pitch chunks of the tree into the fire as I cut them off.

A good "no drama" way to start a brush pile fire is with those Duraflame logs that people burn in the fireplace. They burn for about 2 hours, or so. Put one of the bottom, light it up, then start stacking limbs on top of it. They'll even get green wood burning and you don't need to keep dousing the fire with diesel fuel.

I used the above method to burn a 25' Spruce tree that had died in the front yard.

I had it cut, dissected, and on fire in about an hour and a half.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Those older tractors are better than nothing. But with no low range and no live pto those old tractors are hard to get along with.

Sherman took care of the need for a low range or high range or sometimes both. But there is no getting around the need to stop, throw the tranny to N and let the clutch out to lift an implement before turning the tractor around and starting the next row.

When we were kids, we did not know any better. An 8N beat the hell out of trying to mow hay, plant corn, or cultivate behind a team of horses.

But about sixty years ago, they started building much better alternatives.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I used to see the Fords with single rib front tires.

Out in the arid West, folks that had several tractors would keep one equipped with single rib front tires for cultivating or cleaning corrugates in alfalfa and pasture. Idea being, they were semi- self-guided.
© 24hourcampfire