Home
Posted By: wabigoon An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
As not a sleeping bag, layers of bedding to sleep in.

Ever used one? How did you do it?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Wabi,
High thread count Egyptian cotton sheets on a memory foam mattress with a down comforter suits me.
But I drink my bourbon with ginger ale so you should probably ask Mathman.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Back before sleeping bags were invented my Dad and Uncles thought a saddle blanket for a ground sheet covered w/ a wool army blanket and a WW2 poncho was great for elk hunting.

It wasn't but I faked that it was OK. I can still smell that horse blanket today.

mike r
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Lots of my family and friends have them. The basic canvas cover, foam, and blankets. the canvas cover wraps around the mattress and blankets like a tortilla around the contents of a burrito. One blanket usually works until winter, then two or more.

Advantages are being comfy, warm, and dry.

Disadvantages are the bedroll is bulky and very heavy.
Posted By: 30338 Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Have wanted to try one. Montana Canvas and a number of places make them in the US.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Got one that’s currently partially opened up/unrolled in the back seat of my dodge megacab.

Love it for a lot of reasons.

It is bulky and heavy. Truth is I have a heavy sleeping bag in my bedroll now.

Montana canvas and an outfit in Cody makes them.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
I had a regular heavy canvas bedroll that was twice as long as a bed.You laid it out, put a few quilts in it pulled it up over you.I thought I was pretty fancy when I actually got a sleeping bag to put in it
Posted By: wabigoon Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
"Where you sleep out every--------."
Posted By: goalie Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Seems like a lot of weight and bulk.

Then again, most of my gear is double use: family car camping and backpacking.
https://www.scheels.com/p/montana-c...f1NaG8AIVYGpvBB0ZCwNUEAQYAyABEgIrYPD_BwE
Posted By: EdM Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Calling kaywoody...
Horse blanket pins to hold it together?
I had a nice one for a while.

Canvas and leather. This blonde little buckle bunny I was dating in college relieved me of it, along with my team jacket and a couple other items.

Ended up just using a tarp, a bag and a pad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I recall the evening I laid out my little summer weight bag on my pad and pulled the tarp over me one late June, up in the mountains of the Lost River Range. Woke up to 2" of snow on my tarp the next morning. It ended up being 80 degrees in the afternoon. Gotta love the mountains. Fair bit of elk and bear sign in the meadow.
Posted By: 1minute Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
A couple wanna be cowboy friends use such. Great for a monster elk camp, but a pain in the ass due to volume on float trips.
What young buckaroo, has not slept out, without the saddle for a pillow, and a horse blanket. laugh

And, woke up with a stiff neck!
Posted By: SandBilly Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Why? You planning a hunt or backpacking?
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Wabigoon,

These might help when you head out on that Rawhide cattle drive.

Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
One more...

Posted By: add Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
https://www.duluthpack.com/products/pathfinder-bedroll#
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
It's 2021.
Originally Posted by goalie

The Ironman from Borneo is not gonna backpack with a bedroll grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Back before sleeping bags were invented my Dad and Uncles thought a saddle blanket for a ground sheet covered w/ a wool army blanket and a WW2 poncho was great for elk hunting.

It wasn't but I faked that it was OK. I can still smell that horse blanket today.

mike r

Ain’t it great? 😆
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Montana ain't the only game around.

https://www.beckelcanvas.com/accessories/bedroll-tarp

https://www.davistent.com/product/cowboy-bed-roll-med/
Posted By: slumlord Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Tansun Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Back in the *younger* days, a bedroll of a poncho and 1–3 wool blankets, depending on the weather, on the ground was fine. Now in my “older” years, I still use a bedroll when I am wanting to “pack lite”. The fact that I pack my bedroll in a nice camp trailer shouldn’t really matter too much, right?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As not a sleeping bag, layers of bedding to sleep in.

Ever used one? How did you do it?

Buy a swag...not one of those poofy tent thingies, a proper swag.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
All I use. I can form it to the season. I wrap it all up in a handsewn hemp ground cloth and handwoven tumpline of my own fabrication.

I have a wide assortment of wool, cotton, and jean cloth (wool cotton blend) blanketing that fit any season.
Top item is example;

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I do occasionally utilize a rope bed when we have a cantonment and tentage. And I have also added a tanned deer hide around the bedroll for extra insulation.

This coming weekend we are headed to an 1818 event at the Ford Blockhouse at Sandy Hook Mississippi. Will be flat camping in wedge tent with bedroll. We are doing a survey demonstration for the new state of Mississippi border with Louisiana. Open to public to any locals wishing to visit!!!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
The cowboys we hired as day workers have a canvas outfit, mostly. But they are bigger, thicker, and bulkier than you'd want to carry, or tie onto a horse.

They are heavy too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yeah I imagine they are. When we go out on a "scout " I usually have my roll down to just one blanket and a ground cloth. Good ground cloth is a must have. And I always tie the bottom shut with a piece of rope, twine, or the end of the tumpline. I have weathered some pretty cold azz nights this way.

I do keep on my capote or heavy overcoat and a wool touque on my noggin too, if really cold. Keeping head and feet warm is the key.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Depending on the weather, insulate yourself from the ground. A couple of wool army blankets will usually keep you somewhat warm. Look into Wiggys gear, they are warm if you are in a cooler climate.
Posted By: goalie Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by goalie

The Ironman from Borneo is not gonna backpack with a bedroll grin

There are lightweight options that provide more comfort and better protection from the elements.

My hammock camping setup with a tarp, top quilt, and underquilt probably weights around half of what a bedroll weighs.

That goes for a good bag, bivy sack, and quality sleeping pad as well.
I also would lay in a good pile of firewood next to my bedroll on those cold nights. Build a small fire close by and generally when the fire died down enough I would wake up and add a couple of sticks. None of that Jeremiah Johnson BS of sleeping on coals. 🤣. Have it to where I could feed fire from my bedroll w/o having to get outvof bed.

One night in Crockett NF above Neches river I was on a solo scout. Man it was cold. Down in low teens. I stuck a sausage link on a forked stick in front of fire for midnight snack. Later something woke me up. It was ol’ grinner after my snack!!! I spoke to him calmly and he left at high rate of speed ( for a grinner anyway). 😁
Posted By: G23 Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
What's a "grinner"?

G23
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
as a kid often used a WWI military bag or... a matress off a single iron spring bed water-proof canvas and a quilt. much better than a bag. i have woke up to maybe 4 inches or snow on me totally comfortable.
Posted By: Squidge Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by G23
What's a "grinner"?

G23

Possum, my brother in law calls the "smilies".
as a kid often used a WWI military bag or... a matress off a single iron spring bed water-proof canvas and a quilt. much better than a bag. i have woke up to maybe 4 inches or snow on me totally comfortable.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I also would lay in a good pile of firewood next to my bedroll on those cold nights. Build a small fire close by and generally when the fire died down enough I would wake up and add a couple of sticks. None of that Jeremiah Johnson BS of sleeping on coals. 🤣. Have it to where I could feed fire from my bedroll w/o having to get outvof bed.

One night in Crockett NF above Neches river I was on a solo scout. Man it was cold. Down in low teens. I stuck a sausage link on a forked stick in front of fire for midnight snack. Later something woke me up. It was ol’ grinner after my snack!!! I spoke to him calmly and he left at high rate of speed ( for a grinner anyway). 😁

i did that sleeping on coals once it does work; it's smart to add a sufficient layer of sand over the coals however, i didn't. under the tarp in the bag pigs in a blanket sort of

i did that sleeping on coals once it does work; it's smart to add a sufficient layer of sand over the coals however, i didn't. under the tarp in the bag pigs in a blanket sort of

Originally Posted by G23
What's a "grinner"?

G23

bear
Down here a grinner is a possum. In the muskogean Mobilian language a shakuta ( not to be confused with shakuti, which is one of the words for a frog).
Posted By: Borchardt Re: An old style bedroll? - 04/18/21
I heard you’re supposed to put a grass rope around your bedroll to keep snakes out.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I heard you’re supposed to put a grass rope around your bedroll to keep snakes out.

At 23 degrees F. Snakes are the least of my issues. 🤣
I never appreciated the beasts of burden more than when in hunting camp , single digits often at night, especially in November. I built big heavy beds from lodgepole, big thick pads and a big double wide canvas / flannel bag, a wool blanket and my poncho liner. Best sleep I ever had thanks to my packhorses! Made a person swear off backpacking for good!
Originally Posted by Borchardt

At 23 degrees F. Snakes are the least of my issues. 🤣

grin
© 24hourcampfire