Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goalie
Seems like a lot of weight and bulk.

Then again, most of my gear is double use: family car camping and backpacking.

The Ironman from Borneo is not gonna backpack with a bedroll grin

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Back before sleeping bags were invented my Dad and Uncles thought a saddle blanket for a ground sheet covered w/ a wool army blanket and a WW2 poncho was great for elk hunting.

It wasn't but I faked that it was OK. I can still smell that horse blanket today.

mike r

Ain’t it great? 😆

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in the *younger* days, a bedroll of a poncho and 1–3 wool blankets, depending on the weather, on the ground was fine. Now in my “older” years, I still use a bedroll when I am wanting to “pack lite”. The fact that I pack my bedroll in a nice camp trailer shouldn’t really matter too much, right?

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As not a sleeping bag, layers of bedding to sleep in.

Ever used one? How did you do it?

Buy a swag...not one of those poofy tent thingies, a proper swag.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
All I use. I can form it to the season. I wrap it all up in a handsewn hemp ground cloth and handwoven tumpline of my own fabrication.

I have a wide assortment of wool, cotton, and jean cloth (wool cotton blend) blanketing that fit any season.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Top item is example;

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I do occasionally utilize a rope bed when we have a cantonment and tentage. And I have also added a tanned deer hide around the bedroll for extra insulation.

This coming weekend we are headed to an 1818 event at the Ford Blockhouse at Sandy Hook Mississippi. Will be flat camping in wedge tent with bedroll. We are doing a survey demonstration for the new state of Mississippi border with Louisiana. Open to public to any locals wishing to visit!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The cowboys we hired as day workers have a canvas outfit, mostly. But they are bigger, thicker, and bulkier than you'd want to carry, or tie onto a horse.

They are heavy too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah I imagine they are. When we go out on a "scout " I usually have my roll down to just one blanket and a ground cloth. Good ground cloth is a must have. And I always tie the bottom shut with a piece of rope, twine, or the end of the tumpline. I have weathered some pretty cold azz nights this way.

I do keep on my capote or heavy overcoat and a wool touque on my noggin too, if really cold. Keeping head and feet warm is the key.

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Depending on the weather, insulate yourself from the ground. A couple of wool army blankets will usually keep you somewhat warm. Look into Wiggys gear, they are warm if you are in a cooler climate.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by goalie
Seems like a lot of weight and bulk.

Then again, most of my gear is double use: family car camping and backpacking.

The Ironman from Borneo is not gonna backpack with a bedroll grin

There are lightweight options that provide more comfort and better protection from the elements.

My hammock camping setup with a tarp, top quilt, and underquilt probably weights around half of what a bedroll weighs.

That goes for a good bag, bivy sack, and quality sleeping pad as well.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I also would lay in a good pile of firewood next to my bedroll on those cold nights. Build a small fire close by and generally when the fire died down enough I would wake up and add a couple of sticks. None of that Jeremiah Johnson BS of sleeping on coals. 🤣. Have it to where I could feed fire from my bedroll w/o having to get outvof bed.

One night in Crockett NF above Neches river I was on a solo scout. Man it was cold. Down in low teens. I stuck a sausage link on a forked stick in front of fire for midnight snack. Later something woke me up. It was ol’ grinner after my snack!!! I spoke to him calmly and he left at high rate of speed ( for a grinner anyway). 😁

Founder

WS

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What's a "grinner"?

G23

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as a kid often used a WWI military bag or... a matress off a single iron spring bed water-proof canvas and a quilt. much better than a bag. i have woke up to maybe 4 inches or snow on me totally comfortable.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by G23
What's a "grinner"?

G23

Possum, my brother in law calls the "smilies".

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as a kid often used a WWI military bag or... a matress off a single iron spring bed water-proof canvas and a quilt. much better than a bag. i have woke up to maybe 4 inches or snow on me totally comfortable.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I also would lay in a good pile of firewood next to my bedroll on those cold nights. Build a small fire close by and generally when the fire died down enough I would wake up and add a couple of sticks. None of that Jeremiah Johnson BS of sleeping on coals. 🤣. Have it to where I could feed fire from my bedroll w/o having to get outvof bed.

One night in Crockett NF above Neches river I was on a solo scout. Man it was cold. Down in low teens. I stuck a sausage link on a forked stick in front of fire for midnight snack. Later something woke me up. It was ol’ grinner after my snack!!! I spoke to him calmly and he left at high rate of speed ( for a grinner anyway). 😁

i did that sleeping on coals once it does work; it's smart to add a sufficient layer of sand over the coals however, i didn't. under the tarp in the bag pigs in a blanket sort of

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

i did that sleeping on coals once it does work; it's smart to add a sufficient layer of sand over the coals however, i didn't. under the tarp in the bag pigs in a blanket sort of

Originally Posted by G23
What's a "grinner"?

G23

bear

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/18/21.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Down here a grinner is a possum. In the muskogean Mobilian language a shakuta ( not to be confused with shakuti, which is one of the words for a frog).

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.