Home
Posted By: Wylietx107 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
My wife is looking at a 2017 4Runner trd. I’m looking for pros and cons. I don’t know much about Toyota so any help would be appreciated. It’s clean as a whistle. It has 63,700 miles and asking price is $33,900. I’ve read that Toyota’s run forever that’s why we’re looking at them. Thanks for the opinions.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
My 2018 has 60,000 miles on it, bought it new for $39000 or so. They have good, not great, power and the transmissions are solid. Very dependable. Gas mileage averages around 20 mpg on mine. Its a SR5. I tend to see depreciation of around 10 cents per mile on Toyotas of various makes.

My 2003 I bought new is running great with no major repairs for over 200,000 miles.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Buy it, throw a new timing belt in it, drive it.
Posted By: Terryk Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
I think I paid 41K for a new 2018 SR5. They gave me a good trade in on another car. So I did not pay a premium, I think I wrote a check for 25K.
I had zero issues with mine at 70K miles. I got about 21 mpg rural driving with factory tires, put on some decent off road tires and get 19 now.
Looks new, now wear anyplace. Zero rattles.
Only thing I dont like is leaving the tailgate window down. Vacuum sucks dust in the car. Really wild if you are on a dirt road.
I have the fake leather, and it is vinyl, not magic stuff that is like leather. Vinyl, and it gets a bit sweaty. Seats heat up in a minute though, and it cleans easy.
I would buy mine again in a heartbeat. Great hunting rig.
Posted By: chris_c Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by NVhntr

It has a chain, just drive it
Posted By: bowmanh Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
I have a 2017 4Runner and it's been great. I use it off road for hunting but it's great on pavement as well. Before that, I had a 1998 4Runner for 20 years. That was a terrific vehicle and my son is now driving it. If you want a durable SUV that works well both on and off pavement I think the 4Runner is as good as it gets.
Posted By: duck911 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
We are a Toyota family. Between my wife and I we have put ~800k miles on Toyotas since we have been married.

My wife has had 2 Camrys, and she is on her first Rav4. She will drive it into the ground.

I've had 4 Tacoma's (going back to high school), and now on my 2nd Tundra.

Between my first and second Tundra, I bought a 4Runner.

It lasted 6 months before I traded it in for my second Tundra. The 4Runner V6 is gutless. Towing sucks, no bed for hauling lumber, gear, etc. Interior is not spacious. Fuel efficiency was below average (but all Toyotas are, to be honest)

In short: I HATED it. But, I am a truck guy and have truck needs.

Also, $40k for a **2017** 4Runner with 60k miles is just STUPID. Pay $5k more and get a brand new one off the lot.
Posted By: Wideopen Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
I have a 2016 4Runner. It's a very capable off-road rig. I've had a Tacoma and also have a Tundra. Every single one of them has been ridiculously reliable. Gas mileage however, is pretty crappy in all of them. I absolutely love their reliability.
Posted By: Wylietx107 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
So far after driving it 50 or so miles I really like it. This one is about the best deal anywhere close with the amount of miles it has. Going back to the dealer tomorrow and see how big of a Jew my wife is.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by Wylietx107
My wife is looking at a 2017 4Runner trd. I’m looking for pros and cons. I don’t know much about Toyota so any help would be appreciated. It’s clean as a whistle. It has 63,700 miles and asking price is $33,900. I’ve read that Toyota’s run forever that’s why we’re looking at them. Thanks for the opinions.

I would suggest you check the price on a new one before buying used. My wife bought a 2020 last year, brand new and paid about that much..
Posted By: add Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by duck911
We are a Toyota family. Between my wife and I we have put ~800k miles on Toyotas since we have been married.

My wife has had 2 Camrys, and she is on her first Rav4. She will drive it into the ground.

It lasted 6 months before I traded it in for my second Tundra. The 4Runner V6 is gutless. Towing sucks, no bed for hauling lumber, gear, etc. Interior is not spacious. Fuel efficiency was below average (but all Toyotas are, to be honest)

Also, $40k for a **2017** 4Runner with 60k miles is just STUPID. Pay $5k more and get a brand new one off the lot.

Wow.

Dessert coffee, much?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
So far after driving it 50 or so miles I really like it. This one is about the best deal anywhere close with the amount of miles it has. Going back to the dealer tomorrow and see how big of a Jew my wife is.

I think you can do better than that price and that many miles.
Posted By: memtb Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21

We bought a 2013 several years prior to my retirement! With the track record of Toyotas....I figured it would carry us many years into my retirement without problems. So far.....pretty darn happy! memtb
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
JMHO...but I think you’ll do better buying new discount wise than previously owned. Dealers make ALL the money on used premium vehicles as there are no others to compare shop with. New are new anywhere and can buy them online. Your money and your decision but typically dealers aren’t in love with the new stuff. GLWYP.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
My 18 SR5 4wd is approaching 50k miles with no issues......gets 21mpg on the highway.

I paid 35.5k back 18. Without a doubt a new model without trade-in will yield the best deal and many thinking about slightly used go new instead.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Bought my wife a brand new 2020 sr5 premium last April for $38k out the door. I would gladly pay the extra 5-7k to go new over a used with 60k on the odometer
Posted By: handwerk Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
We have many Toyotas in the family so I guess we're pretty big fans.
Almost two years ago we bought a 2016 4runner SR5 premium with 50,000 miles and we paid $28,000, So I'd suggest you can work them down a little or shop elsewhere. Although Toyota's hold their value pretty well asking prices can vary a lot geographically.
Posted By: Deans Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
My son just bought a 2020 with 6000 miles on it for 36K.
Posted By: lightning Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Had lots of Toyotas in my lifetime, many Tacomas, a few Tundras, and a few Highlanders and they all had great resale #'s. The 4runner's resale value is even better, buy it and never look back.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21

Originally Posted by add

Wow.

Dessert coffee, much?

Reading comprehension isn't the duck of death's strong point.... Maybe the covid mask got up over his eye's for a minute.

$33,900.00 sounds high in this area for a 2017, but buddy has a car lot and said ON AVERAGE, he saw a 30% increase on vehicles at the auctions in 4-5 weeks from March til now. Said dealers are paying stupid prices.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
go for it. I am still driving my 1988 4Runner
Posted By: 16bore Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Pro- you’ll have a 4Runner
Con- your wife isn’t going to let you drive it.

Big 4Runner fan here.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Seems the the price you are looking at is the going rate. Check Car Gurus prices. I bought a used 4R 3 weeks ago. Wished I had bought one before New Years.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Been using cars.com a bit lately. If you are willing to travel can probably find a pretty good deal on new.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/843857901/overview/

I tend to just buy local and avoid the trouble but road trips can yield savings if so inclined.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
There is a 1997, 2000, a 2001 and a 2016 in my driveway. All run fantastic! Mileage goes from 318K to 60k.

4runners are great machines. Buy it
Posted By: Roc Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Ordered a 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium about a month ago.Just over $41,000.Dealer said it would take 2-3 months to get.
Got a call from the dealer a few days ago,Toyota shut down the 4Runner line in Japan for at least 6 weeks and raised the prices.Another $430 for this one.
Wanted to know if I wanted to cancel the order.
Still have it coming.Might be here by late summer.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Just reread the original post.....this time I noticed TRD.....that is a bit of a difference.......not sure how much....
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Normally a new vehicle is about 10% off sticker less incentives. So check that before you buy a 4 year old 4 runner for that much money. Covid is producing shortages with everything. Cars,boats,motorcycles, ammo, basically anything cool to buy right now
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21

My suggestion from a long time 'Yota guy

Take that same $33K (ish) or less if looking at used

Search around Car Maxx is a start....'Lexus GX 460'

This is basically a Land Cruiser Prado 150 in Europe...built in Japan

In the States I'd call it a 4Runner on steroids....very similar platform though

301 HP V8....prob same fuel mileage as the V6 4Runner along with more space (3rd row seats too)

Much better build....quieter.....more cab insulation...smooooth 6 speed transmission

You'll pay more for the Runner & get less truck...along with the GX probably has never saw a dirt road

We bought this one in pic Jan '20...$22K w/95 miles..2 owners...AZ & NV from Car Max

Even before the mods added it would easily fetch the same $22K+ a year later...now w/110K miles

The GX 460 uses the 4.6L Toyota motor...also with a timing chain not belt...great truck !

Link is only a quick example from Car Max...they fetch high book on their vehicles

https://www.carmax.com/car/20218277

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Teal Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
Toyota's especially automatics with the new V6 could use more gear. I've seen where new Tacomas with 4.88 or 5.29 gears in the auto get better mileage and are turning less RPMs than the manual in the same rig.

In the auto - it spends a lot of time in 5th, never 6th and hunts for right operating range/power a lot. I imagine but do not know - 4 Runner might be similar.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

301 HP V8....prob same fuel mileage as the V6 4Runner along with more space (3rd row seats too)

Much better build....quieter.....more cab insulation...smooooth 6 speed transmission

You'll pay more for the Runner & get less truck...along with the GX probably has never saw a dirt road

We bought this one in pic Jan '20...$22K w/95 miles..2 owners...AZ & NV from Car Max

Even before the mods added it would easily fetch the same $22K+ a year later...now w/110K miles

The GX 460 uses the 4.6L Toyota motor...also with a timing chain not belt...great truck !

Link is only a quick example from Car Max...they fetch high book on their vehicles

does it have the same width as a 4 runner, how about rear seat room?
Posted By: 303savage Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
If you can wait 6-8 months, do not buy now, the used car market is the highest I've seen it in 20 years, I run a large car dealership and everyone in the country is fighting for used inventory right now. New cars manufacturers are having a heck of a time producing cars because of a shortage of semiconductors of sheet metal of seat cushions and of rubber. That being said that is putting upward pressure on used car prices because there are no new on the lots so for everyone telling you to buy a new car if you can find one there will be zero incentives on it or very little and you will pay close to sticker. Wait 6 months, and all the lots will be back to being full, and incentives will come in droves, just my two cents from being around the business for years but I'm sure everyone else on here knows more
Posted By: scrooster Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
IMHO Toyota makes the finest vehicle out there ... we have a 2004 4Runner with 300k+ miles we bought new and handed-down to all four of our kids as they came of driving age. It's still going strong.

My wife drives a 2020 Lexus, her third.

I drive an old F150 with over 300k miles but still, I've owned a Supra (in my younger days) and we owned a Corolla and Camry when we were first married ... all great vehicles. We actually owned a Sequoia too but traded it for my wife's first Lexus. I hated to see that one go.

My bucket list vehicle is a late 80s Land Cruiser.

Here's how you know how good Toyotas are ... they are the preferred vehicles of most Middle Easterners. Over there you see them everywhere especially old Land Cruisers and series 8100 small pickups. They are practically indestructible. When I was working over there that's all we drove were Land Cruisers and 4Runners.
Posted By: smarquez Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21

That breaks the Campfire rule of 'buy used, pay cash".
Originally Posted by 303savage
If you can wait 6-8 months, do not buy now, the used car market is the highest I've seen it in 20 years, I run a large car dealership and everyone in the country is fighting for used inventory right now. New cars manufacturers are having a heck of a time producing cars because of a shortage of semiconductors of sheet metal of seat cushions and of rubber. That being said that is putting upward pressure on used car prices because there are no new on the lots so for everyone telling you to buy a new car if you can find one there will be zero incentives on it or very little and you will pay close to sticker. Wait 6 months, and all the lots will be back to being full, and incentives will come in droves, just my two cents from being around the business for years but I'm sure everyone else on here knows more

I agree, but I feel like its going to take 2 years to clear the back log. so if you want to wait 2 years, umm ok. I would just say shop better.
Originally Posted by SCRooster
IMHO Toyota makes the finest vehicle out there ... we have a 2004 4Runner with 300k+ miles we bought new and handed-down to all four of our kids as they came of driving age. It's still going strong.

My wife drives a 2020 Lexus, her third.

I drive an old F150 with over 300k miles but still, I've owned a Supra (in my younger days) and we owned a Corolla and Camry when we were first married ... all great vehicles. We actually owned a Sequoia too but traded it for my wife's first Lexus. I hated to see that one go.

My bucket list vehicle is a late 80s Land Cruiser.

Here's how you know how good Toyotas are ... they are the preferred vehicles of most Middle Easterners. Over there you see them everywhere especially old Land Cruisers and series 8100 small pickups. They are practically indestructible. When I was working over there that's all we drove were Land Cruisers and 4Runners.

Late '80's Cruiser........prob the holy grail in the Toyota LC 80 series--triple locked

This pic is my most recent 100 Series....'03 Lexus LX 470---2 owner AZ truck...195K miles currently

This one was tough enough to find in my color---Gray/gray........and rust free AZ native

Looked at one from CT & MA......I ran away as fast as I could...undercarriage was totally wasted

Toyota builds the LC & Lexus LX to be used for a 25 year life span...in 3rd world countries

Toyota's 4.7L V8 is nearly bullet proof (as most are) but do require the T/Belt & W/pump every 90-100K miles

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

does it have the same width as a 4 runner, how about rear seat room?

remember Toyota builds these on a similar platform.......similar years can interchange certain parts

So specs are close....but the two trucks are night & day...Lexus pays closer attention to detail---fit & finish

Actually Lexus takes the best of the best Toyota employees and puts them on the Lexus assembly line
Posted By: MarkWV Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
My 2014 has went anywhere I’ve wanted. I’m no serious off-roader though and mainly use it go get to the cabin on top of the mountain.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16012991/2014-4runner[/img]
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
4.0 engine = good. 165k on mine with nothing more than regular oil / filter changes.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/20/21
My 2016 4Runner is not a Lexus, thank God. No way I would drop the coin on a Lexus when the 4Runner is the same thing, minus the powder puff and perfume and at much less cost!
Originally Posted by GeoW
My 2016 4Runner is not a Lexus, thank God. No way I would drop the coin on a Lexus when the 4Runner is the same thing, minus the powder puff and perfume and at much less cost!

too funny
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21

pic

bought this 4Runner new in '89---last of the two doors---removable top

prob before some of you even knew what a 4Runner was

Pic was prob 2004

Drove it 14 yrs before giving it to my youngest daughter

Had the 3.0L slow V6 5 speed...was still a good 'Yota

Posted By: GeoW Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
Lexus LX 470

too funny

Equally equipped there's a $20,000 difference new. That funny too? I couldn't see it.. why I went 4Runner. Love it!

g
Posted By: broomd Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
Lexus LX 470

too funny

Equally equipped there's a $20,000 difference new. That funny too? I couldn't see it.. why I went 4Runner. Love it!

g

I'll take the Lexus....pre-owned, low miles LX350, cheaper than a comparable aged 4R..

99% of them are garage queens and while the 4runner is a great ride, the Lexus oozes comfort and build quality.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
I bought an 88, in Sept in 1987...had two miles on the odometer when I took delivery of it...

it has a mile or two more on it now....

Still have it....low miler...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
Lexus LX 470

too funny

g

Huh? They cray-cray.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
Originally Posted by Seafire
I bought an 88, in Sept in 1987...had two miles on the odometer when I took delivery of it...

it has a mile or two more on it now....

Still have it....low miler...

paid $13K for mine new in '89----Wagstaff Toyota in SLC

From what I'm told its still on the streets near Snowflake AZ

I'll still keep our current '11 GX & '03 LX Lexus's---------- grin
Posted By: FastXD Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by NVhntr

It has a chain, just drive it

2017 Toyota 4Runner

Engine Type - 4.0L V6 270 hp (1GR-FE)

Timing Belt Or Chain - timing chain

Replacement Interval (Miles) - lifetime

I have a 2017 4 Runner with 80K miles with no issues, I also have a 2008 4 Runner, the only issue with that one was lost an injector. It has over175K on it. I have a 2000 4 Runner with over 265K on it with no issues and last but not least I have a 1988 4 Runner with over 275K only issue with it was a blown head gasket and I drove it for 2 years before replacing that. I guess you could say I like Toyota 4 Runners, I just need to get a 2nd generation to have one of each.
Posted By: Wylietx107 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
Well she bought it. Looked at a few yesterday then went back and she talked them down to 30,900 and they gave $3000 more for here trade than anyone else offered. Might not have been the best deal but got her out of her flex that was fixing to need a lot of repairs. She’s happy and hopefully this one will last for a long time. Thanks everyone for the help.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
The 4Runner has never been one of Consumer Reports preferred SUV's, but the only thing that they dinged the 2017's on was the paint and trim. I buy all the April Auto issues and they haven't changed the way they describe the 4Runner all the way back to 2013. They say the 4.0 is rough sounding and more thirsty than most others in it's class. They write that the ride is unsettled and handling is clumsy and that the body leans noticeably while corning. A high step in and low ceiling compromise access and driving position. It does offer good ground clearance. The road test score of the 2020 model was 55 which was the second lowest of all Toyota models. Only the Tacoma had a lower road test score.
Posted By: VernAK Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/21/21
I have the 17 Taco Off Road as you are asking about .....mine is double cab with running boards and engine heater, I paid $35 K in L48 new.

I change oil every 5k and gear boxes at 40-50K......tranny at 100K......I expect to drive a trouble free 250K......sold my T100 to neighbor at 250K
and he is still driving at 350K. I usually don't have to do brakes as there's damned few stop signs here. Our roads can be rough so I may need
a ball joint replacement at some time.

I'm taking my buddy to Fairbanks today to get his F150 that has lost a rear diff and twice lost coils to individual cylinders. Warranty pays the
$600 tow bill each time.

I went by the Toyota dealers recently and they had no Tundras and only three Tacos.

My 03 Taco only has 150K so I'll be running that for my remaining years......along with a recently acquired 95 4Runner with 60 K on it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/22/21
I know someone who has a 4 Runner with 580,000 miles on it....
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: 2017 Toyota 4Runner - 04/22/21
Well she bought it. Looked at a few yesterday then went back and she talked them down to 30,900 and they gave $3000 more for here trade than anyone else offered. Might not have been the best deal but got her out of her flex that was fixing to need a lot of repairs. She’s happy and hopefully this one will last for a long time. Thanks everyone for the help.

Congrats......betting you'll enjoy it......now you can hangout at 4runners.com.......they're mostly TRD folks.
© 24hourcampfire