Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
go for it. I am still driving my 1988 4Runner

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pro- you’ll have a 4Runner
Con- your wife isn’t going to let you drive it.

Big 4Runner fan here.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seems the the price you are looking at is the going rate. Check Car Gurus prices. I bought a used 4R 3 weeks ago. Wished I had bought one before New Years.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been using cars.com a bit lately. If you are willing to travel can probably find a pretty good deal on new.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/843857901/overview/

I tend to just buy local and avoid the trouble but road trips can yield savings if so inclined.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a 1997, 2000, a 2001 and a 2016 in my driveway. All run fantastic! Mileage goes from 318K to 60k.

4runners are great machines. Buy it

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

R
Roc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Ordered a 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium about a month ago.Just over $41,000.Dealer said it would take 2-3 months to get.
Got a call from the dealer a few days ago,Toyota shut down the 4Runner line in Japan for at least 6 weeks and raised the prices.Another $430 for this one.
Wanted to know if I wanted to cancel the order.
Still have it coming.Might be here by late summer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just reread the original post.....this time I noticed TRD.....that is a bit of a difference.......not sure how much....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Normally a new vehicle is about 10% off sticker less incentives. So check that before you buy a 4 year old 4 runner for that much money. Covid is producing shortages with everything. Cars,boats,motorcycles, ammo, basically anything cool to buy right now

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Wylietx107
My wife is looking at a 2017 4Runner trd. I’m looking for pros and cons. I don’t know much about Toyota so any help would be appreciated. It’s clean as a whistle. It has 63,700 miles and asking price is $33,900. I’ve read that Toyota’s run forever that’s why we’re looking at them. Thanks for the opinions.

My suggestion from a long time 'Yota guy

Take that same $33K (ish) or less if looking at used

Search around Car Maxx is a start....'Lexus GX 460'

This is basically a Land Cruiser Prado 150 in Europe...built in Japan

In the States I'd call it a 4Runner on steroids....very similar platform though

301 HP V8....prob same fuel mileage as the V6 4Runner along with more space (3rd row seats too)

Much better build....quieter.....more cab insulation...smooooth 6 speed transmission

You'll pay more for the Runner & get less truck...along with the GX probably has never saw a dirt road

We bought this one in pic Jan '20...$22K w/95 miles..2 owners...AZ & NV from Car Max

Even before the mods added it would easily fetch the same $22K+ a year later...now w/110K miles

The GX 460 uses the 4.6L Toyota motor...also with a timing chain not belt...great truck !

Link is only a quick example from Car Max...they fetch high book on their vehicles

https://www.carmax.com/car/20218277

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Toyota's especially automatics with the new V6 could use more gear. I've seen where new Tacomas with 4.88 or 5.29 gears in the auto get better mileage and are turning less RPMs than the manual in the same rig.

In the auto - it spends a lot of time in 5th, never 6th and hunts for right operating range/power a lot. I imagine but do not know - 4 Runner might be similar.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut
My wife is looking at a 2017 4Runner trd. I’m looking for pros and cons. I don’t know much about Toyota so any help would be appreciated. It’s clean as a whistle. It has 63,700 miles and asking price is $33,900. I’ve read that Toyota’s run forever that’s why we’re looking at them. Thanks for the opinions.

301 HP V8....prob same fuel mileage as the V6 4Runner along with more space (3rd row seats too)

Much better build....quieter.....more cab insulation...smooooth 6 speed transmission

You'll pay more for the Runner & get less truck...along with the GX probably has never saw a dirt road

We bought this one in pic Jan '20...$22K w/95 miles..2 owners...AZ & NV from Car Max

Even before the mods added it would easily fetch the same $22K+ a year later...now w/110K miles

The GX 460 uses the 4.6L Toyota motor...also with a timing chain not belt...great truck !

Link is only a quick example from Car Max...they fetch high book on their vehicles

does it have the same width as a 4 runner, how about rear seat room?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can wait 6-8 months, do not buy now, the used car market is the highest I've seen it in 20 years, I run a large car dealership and everyone in the country is fighting for used inventory right now. New cars manufacturers are having a heck of a time producing cars because of a shortage of semiconductors of sheet metal of seat cushions and of rubber. That being said that is putting upward pressure on used car prices because there are no new on the lots so for everyone telling you to buy a new car if you can find one there will be zero incentives on it or very little and you will pay close to sticker. Wait 6 months, and all the lots will be back to being full, and incentives will come in droves, just my two cents from being around the business for years but I'm sure everyone else on here knows more

guns to me are like legal crack
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO Toyota makes the finest vehicle out there ... we have a 2004 4Runner with 300k+ miles we bought new and handed-down to all four of our kids as they came of driving age. It's still going strong.

My wife drives a 2020 Lexus, her third.

I drive an old F150 with over 300k miles but still, I've owned a Supra (in my younger days) and we owned a Corolla and Camry when we were first married ... all great vehicles. We actually owned a Sequoia too but traded it for my wife's first Lexus. I hated to see that one go.

My bucket list vehicle is a late 80s Land Cruiser.

Here's how you know how good Toyotas are ... they are the preferred vehicles of most Middle Easterners. Over there you see them everywhere especially old Land Cruisers and series 8100 small pickups. They are practically indestructible. When I was working over there that's all we drove were Land Cruisers and 4Runners.

Last edited by SCRooster; 04/20/21. Reason: Corrected autocorrect correction that was incorrect

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by duck911
We are a Toyota family. Between my wife and I we have put ~800k miles on Toyotas since we have been married.

My wife has had 2 Camrys, and she is on her first Rav4. She will drive it into the ground.

I've had 4 Tacoma's (going back to high school), and now on my 2nd Tundra.

Between my first and second Tundra, I bought a 4Runner.

It lasted 6 months before I traded it in for my second Tundra. The 4Runner V6 is gutless. Towing sucks, no bed for hauling lumber, gear, etc. Interior is not spacious. Fuel efficiency was below average (but all Toyotas are, to be honest)

In short: I HATED it. But, I am a truck guy and have truck needs.

Also, $40k for a **2017** 4Runner with 60k miles is just STUPID. Pay $5k more and get a brand new one off the lot.

That breaks the Campfire rule of 'buy used, pay cash".

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 303savage
If you can wait 6-8 months, do not buy now, the used car market is the highest I've seen it in 20 years, I run a large car dealership and everyone in the country is fighting for used inventory right now. New cars manufacturers are having a heck of a time producing cars because of a shortage of semiconductors of sheet metal of seat cushions and of rubber. That being said that is putting upward pressure on used car prices because there are no new on the lots so for everyone telling you to buy a new car if you can find one there will be zero incentives on it or very little and you will pay close to sticker. Wait 6 months, and all the lots will be back to being full, and incentives will come in droves, just my two cents from being around the business for years but I'm sure everyone else on here knows more

I agree, but I feel like its going to take 2 years to clear the back log. so if you want to wait 2 years, umm ok. I would just say shop better.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SCRooster
IMHO Toyota makes the finest vehicle out there ... we have a 2004 4Runner with 300k+ miles we bought new and handed-down to all four of our kids as they came of driving age. It's still going strong.

My wife drives a 2020 Lexus, her third.

I drive an old F150 with over 300k miles but still, I've owned a Supra (in my younger days) and we owned a Corolla and Camry when we were first married ... all great vehicles. We actually owned a Sequoia too but traded it for my wife's first Lexus. I hated to see that one go.

My bucket list vehicle is a late 80s Land Cruiser.

Here's how you know how good Toyotas are ... they are the preferred vehicles of most Middle Easterners. Over there you see them everywhere especially old Land Cruisers and series 8100 small pickups. They are practically indestructible. When I was working over there that's all we drove were Land Cruisers and 4Runners.

Late '80's Cruiser........prob the holy grail in the Toyota LC 80 series--triple locked

This pic is my most recent 100 Series....'03 Lexus LX 470---2 owner AZ truck...195K miles currently

This one was tough enough to find in my color---Gray/gray........and rust free AZ native

Looked at one from CT & MA......I ran away as fast as I could...undercarriage was totally wasted

Toyota builds the LC & Lexus LX to be used for a 25 year life span...in 3rd world countries

Toyota's 4.7L V8 is nearly bullet proof (as most are) but do require the T/Belt & W/pump every 90-100K miles

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by tikkanut

does it have the same width as a 4 runner, how about rear seat room?

remember Toyota builds these on a similar platform.......similar years can interchange certain parts

So specs are close....but the two trucks are night & day...Lexus pays closer attention to detail---fit & finish

Actually Lexus takes the best of the best Toyota employees and puts them on the Lexus assembly line

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My 2014 has went anywhere I’ve wanted. I’m no serious off-roader though and mainly use it go get to the cabin on top of the mountain.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16012991/2014-4runner[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4.0 engine = good. 165k on mine with nothing more than regular oil / filter changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 2016 4Runner is not a Lexus, thank God. No way I would drop the coin on a Lexus when the 4Runner is the same thing, minus the powder puff and perfume and at much less cost!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.