Home
This one is an actual Colt. It's the last in the series of reintroductions of their old percussion revolver models called their Signature Series Colt Black Powder models. It has all the markings, and only those markings, of the originals, came in Colt packaging and with Colt paperwork.

Uberti is said to have made the major parts which they sent rough and unmarked to Colt Black Powder, and the guns were then finished and assembled there, under license from Colt, and under their supervision and specifications. I've heard that Colt handled certain aspects of the finish, like the color case hardening, and possibly the polishing and blueing, at the actual Colt factory.

The Colt 1860 Army is what replaced, in 1860, the Third Model Colt Dragoon as the official US Army sidearm. It's a significantly smaller, lighter, and sleeker, gun, but retains the same caliber, although not quite the same powder capacity. But it's still plenty powerful, permitting up to 40 grains by volume of black powder to be loaded behind the .454 caliber lead balls, but the Third Model Dragoon permitted up to 50 grains of black powder. I was loading this 1860 today with 35 grains of FFFg Goex, which gave it plenty of oomph, and it seemed to like it in terms of accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Here's a nice, one-ragged-hole, six shot, ten yard group, fired off hand, standing.

[Linked Image]
Hawk you really need to stop this. I'm teetering on an idea that will probably get me in trouble at home. The wife would probably prefer I have an affair than bring yet another gun home. But you just keep shooting the charcoal burners, and I've got it bad for a Uberti 1851 Navy... You're killing me man!

Cool revolver though!!
If you're going to get just one, I cannot blame you for choosing the 1851 Navy .36. Sweet guns, as made by Uberti. I recommend, as the first thing you do whenever you buy an Uberti or Pietta cap and ball revolver, is to buy a set of SlixShot nipples for it. Vastly superior to the ones that come with them.

[Linked Image]
That's my favorite BP revolver! (The Army .44)

It shoots like a champ too!

Good stuff!
That has to be a schitload of fun right there.
Yep. Your killing us TRH. Your gonna force me to go out and buy a BP Revolver! 🤠
Big Iron.
Very nice!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That's my favorite BP revolver! (The Army .44)

It shoots like a champ too!

Good stuff!

Thanks. And with Slixshot nipples, they all function just shy of modern cartridge revolver level in terms of reliability. You get the true feel of what it would be like to have and shoot an original while living in the middle 19th Century. I can't quite say that for the nipples that typically come on these reproductions.
Originally Posted by diamondjim
That has to be a schitload of fun right there.

It is, indeed. I've got a smile on my face the whole time I'm at the range with these things.

I used to have a boss (back in the early 1980s, when I worked in the Hunting, Fishing, and Camping Department of a sporting goods store) who was a Vietnam War vet, a gunsmith, and an avid freshwater fisherman. He almost always fished before coming in to work. He told me it was because "fishing don't count." What he meant was that time fishing isn't counted against how long you have in this world. I kind of feel that way about cap and ball revolver shooting.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. Your killing us TRH. Your gonna force me to go out and buy a BP Revolver! 🤠

Stop threatening to, and do it. grin
Makes sense to me.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Shot The Colt 1860 Army .44 - 04/23/21
I have one also, but mine is 159 years old, and could still be shot if I was careful.
I just love the way they look and feel, enjoy yours, it may not be original, but close enough that you know what the original would feel like.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by jbmi
I have one also, but mine is 159 years old, and could still be shot if I was careful.
I just love the way they look and feel, enjoy yours, it may not be original, but close enough that you know what the original would feel like.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Like.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This one is an actual Colt. It's the last in the series of reintroductions of their old percussion revolver models called their Signature Series Colt Black Powder models. It has all the markings, and only those markings, of the originals, came in Colt packaging and with Colt paperwork.

Uberti is said to have made the major parts which they sent rough and unmarked to Colt Black Powder, and the guns were then finished and assembled there, under license from Colt, and under their supervision and specifications. I've heard that Colt handled certain aspects of the finish, like the color case hardening, and possibly the polishing and blueing, at the actual Colt factory.

The Colt 1860 Army is what replaced, in 1860, the Third Model Colt Dragoon as the official US Army sidearm. It's a significantly smaller, lighter, and sleeker, gun, but retains the same caliber, although not quite the same powder capacity. But it's still plenty powerful, permitting up to 40 grains by volume of black powder to be loaded behind the .454 caliber lead balls, but the Third Model Dragoon permitted up to 50 grains of black powder. I was loading this 1860 today with 35 grains of FFFg Goex, which gave it plenty of oomph, and it seemed to like it in terms of accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Here's a nice, one-ragged-hole, six shot, ten yard group, fired off hand, standing.

[Linked Image]
Very nice gun and nice group.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Very nice gun and nice group.

Thanks.
She sure is purty.
Enjoy..
It seems (from the group) that you two are a good pair.
I enjoy the blackpowder posts hawkeye. Nice shooting!
Posted By: kennyd Re: Shot The Colt 1860 Army .44 - 04/23/21
Rifling? I think the originals had 7 grooves. My Williamson. 36 has 6 groove square. The original nipples smashed in about 3 uses. But it was bought at Woolworths for $50 in 1971.
Originally Posted by kennyd
Rifling? I think the originals had 7 grooves. My Williamson. 36 has 6 groove square. The original nipples smashed in about 3 uses. But it was bought at Woolworths for $50 in 1971.

I guess the metallurgy in reproduction percussion revolvers was quite bad back then. I suspect they were made in the 1970s under the impression that most would end up being wall hangers.
I hate you man..

JK.😁

That revolver is really nice and good shooting man
👍👍👍👍👍
Posted By: kennyd Re: Shot The Colt 1860 Army .44 - 04/24/21
1970s. That little thing is a copy of a Confederate gun. Brass frame but has kept timing. All proof marked. If has administered the coup to 2 deer
Originally Posted by kennyd
1970s. That little thing is a copy of a Confederate gun. Brass frame but has kept timing. All proof marked. If has administered the coup to 2 deer

You said the nipples deformed (and, presumably needed replacing) after just firing a few cylinders full. They must have been made of some pretty soft steel.

Cool that you have some hunting history with it, though.
© 24hourcampfire