Home
Posted By: viking Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
What does the Fire recommend. I see some are spendy.
Last I knew fox pro. But, imo nothing beats a good mouth call.
Posted By: viking Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
I kinda lathe idea of the remote features.
The electronic are nice to be able to set them away from you.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You'll better results with mouth calls.
I'll second the lucky duck revolt! ^^^
Posted By: viking Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
I like that rifle, details?
Posted By: DMc Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Focus. Stay on topic!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Originally Posted by viking
I like that rifle, details?

1885 Low Wall .22 Hornet. FXII 6x36. I like it so much have a 6.5x55 on order.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Foxpro!
And get one with a large screen on the remote
I have a CS24 from foxpro, it’s very effective and easy to use b
There are a ton of videos on youtube of guys using calls. The Lucky Duck get very high reviews and the FoxPro are almost equal in their reviews so those are the two I seem to see the most in the videos.

Watch the Lucky Duck Videos and the Night Crew Videos and see for yourself. They both seem to work great. I just picked up a Lucky Duck Revolt and will put it into action next week on a coyote hunting trip. They are reputed to have better sound and a much louder speaker system. Also, they can be remotely controlled from 300 feet away, which is always a plus when you can divert the dogs' attention away from you....

Bob
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
I have a FoxPro Fusion and I am getting used to it.

I have called coyotes with it, but I swear I can make better sounds with my mouth calls.

What I can't do is the variety of sounds. I'm not sure if it's tone/volume carries further? I suspect it does.

It doesn't get winded, I can while blowing the hand calls on a long set.

I can set it away from me. That can help. I did add the decoy from FoxPro that replaces the battery cover.

I think it is another tool in the toolbox and worth having.

It gets cold enough here that it is a battery hog.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Foxpro. I have two of them, and they work. Also, the customer support from Foxpro is absolutely great. I highly recommend them.
Posted By: Osky Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Fox Pro Fusion. Nice to keep the sound out and away, and the volume is great for windy days.
You can always mix in hand calls.

Osky
Lucky duck revolt is the way to go imo. I’ve had several fox pro models and they work fine but the revolt gives you the option to use the remote to rotate the speaker and to run the decoy attached to the caller. I think foxpro may have models out now with a decoy attached but don’t believe they give you the ability to rotate the call. I haven’t looked lately so could be wrong...
I have a FoxPro with the remote decoy. Works great.
If I had to pick one caller to do everything from now on, I'd go with the FoxPro X2S.

https://www.gofoxpro.com/products/digital-game-calls/x2s

It'll play the FoxPro sounds, plus, it's Bluetooth compatible, so you can play sounds from your phone apps.

One other great option is the Convergent sound apps... You can get the Bullet caller, or go with a good Bluetooth speaker to play the sounds.

https://www.gofoxpro.com/products/digital-game-calls/x2s

I have both the Predator Pro and Hog Pro sounds on my phone, and recently got a 60w Bluetooth speaker to play the sounds on. Holy crap, those sounds are great and LOUD when you play them on that speaker! shocked

Sound apps were about $16 altogether, and the speaker was under $80. Speaker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KZJFC2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for less than $100, you can have a world class e-caller with some of the best predator and hog sounds there are.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
I have a Fox Pro Hammer Jack. It works good,need to load more sounds into it though. I find myself using it for a visual attractant more than sound any more. Hard to beat calls turned by by Kerry Carver or Rob Patrick.
fox pro. I love my shock wave. oh and I also love my snow/crow pro
Originally Posted by gitem_12

The shockwave has great sound and speakers for playing the digital sounds, but it's a bit big and heavy for the way I hunt... walking quite a distance to where I make stands. You make 10-15 stands a day, and the size/weight starts to drag on you. wink

I still have and use my old Fury caller. Just the right size. I've killed more coyotes coming to that caller than the plague. smile
Posted By: thardy Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Icotec has been a reliable, less expensive, call for me for two years now. Good starter call to see if you like it.
Originally Posted by thardy
Icotec has been a reliable, less expensive, call for me for two years now. Good starter call to see if you like it.

I've got an Icotec too. It's easy to use, has a built in motion decoy, and a 300 yard remote range.
Posted By: 5spd Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
Fox pro cs24, shockwave are the best imo. Lucky ducks have good sounds. Remotes are not hand friendly for me, screen to small as well vs the FoxPro tx500 or tx1000.
I owned 2 lucky duck calls, took em back.
Both will call in coyote and do the job.
I keep hand calls on me, sometimes they just out preform electronics.
Hate to show my age.
We started with a mouth call.
Then reel to reel tape recorder.
Next a cassette recorder.
Then electronic
Back to mouth call.
Big difference between mouth call-and others is when you have called out an area and the varmints are wise. You can change to a wood pecker or sea gull. Like hunting virgin country. Hasbeen
Have had good luck with icotec 300 for a few years. Furthest I've tried remote is about 80 yards.
Forgot to mention call of the wild record player. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Forgot to mention call of the wild record player. Hasbeen

I still have some old Johnny Stewart and Burnham Bros. first attempts at automated calling...

We have come a LONG ways.

But, in reality, having an electronic caller won't make a good predator hunter out of someone. In fact, it has damaged a lot of good calling areas, and educated a lot of predators.

If someone doesn't know how to call, setup, and be stealthy, they are probably doing more harm than good. (But you'll never convince them of that.) wink
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[quote=hasbeen1945]Forgot to mention call of the wild record player. Hasbeen [/quote

But, in reality, having an electronic caller won't make a good predator hunter out of someone. In fact, it has damaged a lot of good calling areas, and educated a lot of predators.

If someone doesn't know how to call, setup, and be stealthy, they are probably doing more harm than good. (But you'll never convince them of that.) wink

Very true!

I would say that most of the recipe for a successful stand is selecting the stand.

For example, if you set up with a brushy ravine/creek 100yds downwind of you, you will not see a coyote.

So, if you are a new coyote hunter, grab your call and go to a large, open area where coyotes can't be hunted, and practice your techniques there. Note the lay of the land and wind direction, and watch how coyotes approach. You will learn a lot about how coyotes approach the call.

But, back to the original question. Most any of the e-callers will work well. The problem is, on a heavily hunted property, the popular e-calls have been heard by the surviving resident coyotes, and they may not come to that caller again, after they survive getting shot at.

Using your dog as an example, you have been feeding this dog for 5 years. One day, when you call it to you, you give it a swift kick for no reason. Chances are very good that dog will respond to your voice again. If I did that to your dog the first time he heard my voice, do you think he would give me a second chance to kick him?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
There's small differences in caller - I don't think it matters all that much though . .

I like to travel light so hand-calls mostly + a homemade decoy [rabbit/squirrel fur] - plastic panfish fishing reel - green spider-wire line connected to a high bush/sage brush jiggle it a bit to catch predators eye .
Also a couple of homemade crow decoys connected to nearby bush , the black bird profile really sticks out + anything going on a crow/magpie will be nosing around . Crow makes predators secure that all is well and something is going on .

Bunham Bros. mini blaster don't leave home without it .
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
I have the CS-24, A Shock Wave, and the new X-Wave from FoxPro. All rugged, all work well.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/23/21
I have used the Foxpro Inferno for a long time and it is great. Placing the call 50-60 yards away and using a remote is pretty cool. I cover a lot of ground on foot and like the size and weight. I hunt a lot in the winter and place the caller in an ensolite pouch I taped together and add a handwarmer to extend battery life. I always have a mouthcall in my pocket when in the hills even when I don't have a rifle.

mike r
Posted By: viking Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/24/21
Thanks guys for your input.

If a guy is setting up to call in western Montana for example, a call with a remote might be best.....grizzly bears..
Originally Posted by Cheesy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Does that come with it's own cart? That thing is GINORMUS!

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: viking Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/24/21
I am kinda liking that foxpro inferno model.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by viking
Thanks guys for your input.

If a guy is setting up to call in western Montana for example, a call with a remote might be best.....grizzly bears..

Yep, choose your ground w/ that in mind and it doesn't hurt to have a partner to watch your 6, they are sneaky fuggers. I've only had blackies come in but it will cause puckering of the terminal sphinctergrin

mike r
Posted By: Osky Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/24/21

The shockwave has great sound and speakers for playing the digital sounds, but it's a bit big and heavy for the way I hunt... walking quite a distance to where I make stands. You make 10-15 stands a day, and the size/weight starts to drag on you. wink

I still have and use my old Fury caller. Just the right size. I've killed more coyotes coming to that caller than the plague. smile

I have my Fusion now rigged up to run off A Dakota large battery. Super light batteries the caller will run all day and night. Ran it hard this past fall thru WY and MT. Very happy with the combo.

Osky
Posted By: Osky Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by Osky

I have my Fusion now rigged up to run off A Dakota large battery. Super light batteries the caller will run all day and night. Ran it hard this past fall thru WY and MT. Very happy with the combo.
Edit to note the Dakota 7ah 12volts. You can get higher amp hour units but with a pair this size one is always ready in reserve in case something odd happens.

Osky
Posted By: DaveR Re: Electronic predator calls? - 04/24/21
I've got an old FoxPro 416 that I've been using for over probably close to 20 years. Works great for my needs. Have called in many a predator with it, and see no need to upgrade.

[Linked Image from farm7.staticflickr.com]

I use it in combination with mouth calls. For coyotes, will typically start the stand off with a few interrogation howls on the mouth blown caller. Wait 3 or so minutes, and if no vocal response (challenge howl, where I'd challenge howl back at them) then start throwing in some distress sounds on the foxpro.

If there's a coyote in the area it may not respond to interrogation howls. But if they're around, they heard it. Throw in some distress sounds, and coyote now thinks someone is in his area AND eating his wabbits.

Coyote(s) come in, pop one (or as many as you can), and immediately get on the howler for some coyote distress (yelps). Many times that brings one or two more running in on afterburners.

Good fun.

During mating season, female invitation holws on the mouth blown howlers can lead to some excitement.

Coyote pup distress sounds also bring them in hot and fast also, and brings in bobcats pretty good as well.

A simple battery operated decoy works wonders as well to get their attention (especially the cats) and get the coming in on a string.

I've got this one. All that is needed.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Couple small and effective packages that work great.
© 24hourcampfire