Home
Posted By: MM879 F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
I am doing some charity work on my daughter in laws F150. The vehicle is a 2018 with a 3.5L Eco boost a/t. The engine looks to be going well despite a long list of recalls. The recalls are optional if you have the problem. I would call them redesigns. The one that concerns me is the PVC oil consumption problem. They replace the valve covers and halve of the fuel delivery system to get to the valve covers.

The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit. 30k and they are rough. The pull and ride terrible. These tires should never be specified for a new vehicle.

The brakes have been replaced on all four corners. It is a big accomplishment to have brakes worst that a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

The shocks are shot. The vehicle handles like a manatee in warm water.

The wheel security locks were different on each wheel! It needed four different socket keys! They were replaced with lug nuts. Standard lug nut small size torqued to 150# Something is wrong here. I've never seen a small lug nut torqued that high.

Summary:
This vehicle is serviceable, but it is going to be an expensive vehicle to own. I would take F150 off my buy list.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Sad story. I will tell you that my brother bought a new Nissan Frontier in 2016. A few months ago he took it in to our local mechanic for an oil change, he had 105,000 miles on the truck. He said "Look at the brakes it must need a brake job." Brother has never had any brake work done on this truck.
The mechanics told my brother that the brakes are fine and don't need work. I didn't know you could go that many miles without a brake job.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Originally Posted by MM879
I am doing some charity work on my daughter in laws F150. The vehicle is a 2018 with a 3.5L Eco boost a/t. The engine looks to be going well despite a long list of recalls. The recalls are optional if you have the problem. I would call them redesigns. The one that concerns me is the PVC oil consumption problem. They replace the valve covers and halve of the fuel delivery system to get to the valve covers.

The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit. 30k and they are rough. The pull and ride terrible. These tires should never be specified for a new vehicle.

The brakes have been replaced on all four corners. It is a big accomplishment to have brakes worst that a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

The wheel security locks were different on each wheel! It needed four different socket keys! They were replaced with lug nuts. Standard lug nut small size torqued to 150# Something is wrong here. I've never seen a small lug nut torqued that high.

Summary:
This vehicle is serviceable, but it is going to be an expensive vehicle to own. I would take F150 off my buy list.

JFC...
Was it used a moon rover or something.

LOL!!!
Posted By: GAGoober Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 Extended Cab 5 Speed with 70K. Used mainly for H&F. Brakes are still fine.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Our 2018 has 40k+ and hasn't bobbled. Did have the windshield replaced under warranty because the safety glass had a flaw.
Posted By: devnull Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Sad story. I will tell you that my brother bought a new Nissan Frontier in 2016. A few months ago he took it in to our local mechanic for an oil change, he had 105,000 miles on the truck. He said "Look at the brakes it must need a brake job." Brother has never had any brake work done on this truck.
The mechanics told my brother that the brakes are fine and don't need work. I didn't know you could go that many miles without a brake job.

I have 150K miles on a 2006 Duramax and have never needed brakes. I don't pull heavy loads often other than firewood in the field stacked as high as I can get it in the bed. I'm at about 40% remaining on the pads.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
I have 55,000 miles on my 2017 F-150. It has the 5.0 engine. Overall gas mileage is 19 MPG. I'm still running the tires it came with, Goodyears, and they look to be good for at least another 10,000 miles or so. They have been rotated every 5-10,000 miles.

If the truck in the OP is in that bad of shape, I'd say it's not Ford's fault, but neglect from the owner.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
My work truck is a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 v8. It has 125k on it. Oil changes, one set of tires, and a battery replacement are all that have been done to it. Still runs and drives like a new one.

If she needs brakes at 30k miles, somebody failed to teach her how to drive.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21

Everybody goes on and on about how the Tundra is outdated, has been the same truck essentially since 2007. Needs new technology and luxuries. To heck with that, thats exactly why I bought a 2020 Tundra, because it has been in production essentially since 2007 and hasn't had a bunch of updates. Surely they got the bugs worked out of it by now.... 30k miles on it now and not a problem one (which I'd expect of any vehicle in 30k miles)

Originally Posted by devnull

I have 150K miles on a 2006 Duramax and have never needed brakes. I don't pull heavy loads often other than firewood in the field stacked as high as I can get it in the bed. I'm at about 40% remaining on the pads.

My 2006 F250 I bought with 40k miles, so I"m going to assume the brakes were original. I changed them last fall before heading out on an elk hunt, just because I felt like I needed to at 180,000 miles. There was still a ton of pad left. Primarily longer highway miles though.
Posted By: MM879 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21

Summary:

The vehicle is spotless. It sees grocery getting with a child seat in tow.

I suspect that the electronic parking brake took out the rear brakes. The wiring to a suspension member is not capable. It cannot handle the G loads and vibration.

The front brakes are still a mystery. The aftermarket pads feel like "aftermarket pads" This could be a failed mechanic/service writer overselling a female.
Posted By: add Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21

Summary:

The vehicle is spotless. It sees grocery getting with a child seat in tow.

I suspect that the electronic parking brake took out the rear brakes. The wiring to a suspension member is not capable. It cannot handle the G loads and vibration.

The front brakes are still a mystery. The aftermarket pads feel like "aftermarket pads" This could be a failed mechanic/service writer overselling a female.

Maybe the Ford caught the covid and needs the vax?

Ever think of that?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21

Depends on your driving habits maybe. Wife and I got 190,000 on the brakes on the Tundra, we live in mountainous terrain too. I got 156,000 on my Tacoma...prolly 30% left, but it is a manual, so I would estimate we'll get well over 200,000 out of it.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
I just bought a 2015 F150 Lariat 5.0 with 55000 miles on it (4x4 this time) to replace my 2005 F150. Both are nice rides, but the 2015 is head and shoulders above the 05 in handling. I have absolutely NO complaints (other than the fact they sure as hell ain't built to work on) with F150s after having put 150,000 on the 2005, which came to me with 40000 on it already.

Some people just have a knack for ragging out vehicles in short order.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Hhhmmm, my 2011 F-150 w/5.0 V-8 has been flawless except for a glitch in the radio that would never show a fail when in for service.
It turned over 170,000 miles the other day.
One set of rear shocks
Two sets of front brakes, one set of rears.
Spark plugs at 150,000 miles
Battery three years ago
The Goodyear OEM’s lasted 55,000 miles
I got 96,000 from the Hankook Dynapro A-TM tires that replaced the garbage Goodyears that went square around 35,000.
Hankook discontinued the A-TM and replaced them with A-T2’s which are not as good.
Discount Tire bought the A-TM molds and is having Hankook make them as their store brand.
I put Load Range E on it this time.
My truck hauls a 6,000 lb travel trailer often and my 3,000 lb tractor on a car hauler trailer grossing at around 7,000 lbs.
Add in hauling logs often weighing above 5,000lbs.
It doesn’t get babied.
By far the best truck I have ever owned.

Your dil must drive like Mario Andretti to wear schitt out that quickly or the mechanics are doing the old fuuk the women caper.
Posted By: killerv Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
No truck is made like it used to be. Buddy had sunroof go out, 3 grand but luckily under warranty. Had a hawk fly into is side mirror, 800 for that

My new sierra has a rear window on order due to a leak already.
Posted By: Higginez Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Originally Posted by killerv
No truck is made like it used to be. Buddy had sunroof go out

Oh the irony.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Yeah but the nail polish holder still works...so...
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Every single vehicle made is an absolute POS.

Read it here on the 'Fire.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Hopped up engines never last and always require maintenance. That's why I bought the 5.0 and before they went to more advanced transmissions. Be real surprised if it doesn't go 250k. Getting over 19mpg with heavy duty rear end tow package. Zero problems.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21

Drove a 2011 pathfinder 151k miles on original brakes......tire guys kept insisting they were good to go.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
I bought an 2018 F-150 Crew Cab with the 2.7 EcoBoost in May of 2019, the truck isn't 2 years old yet and I have close to 80K miles on it (5 hunting trip from NJ to CO/Utah) put and extra 25K on it, I normally drive 25K miles annually. The only problem was the switch to turn off the wipers went at 38K, covered under extended warranty, I got about 20 MPG. The stock Wranglers lasted to 51K and I could have gotten another 4-5K out of them but was heading out west and I wanted new tires. Prior to this vehicle I had a 2014 Crew Cab 3.5 EcoBoost, 115K mostly trouble free miles. The truck did shut off while driving 7 times, after the second trip to the dealer it was from a faulty throttle control valve! It got sporty in the fast lane on the interstate! The Ford is a good truck, maybe not as good as my 2008 Tundra, 166K trouble free miles, the gas mileage sucked (15 MPG)!
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Hopped up engines never last and always require maintenance. That's why I bought the 5.0 and before they went to more advanced transmissions. Be real surprised if it doesn't go 250k. Getting over 19mpg with heavy duty rear end tow package. Zero problems.

You learn some things when you work on them. This F150 is the Eco-Boost with the electronic transmission. They use a cover over the entire transmission area. It is a molded fiberglass shield that traps the heat inside. The exhaust Y pipe runs under the cover. The transmission has a polymer oil pan on it. The entire gasket edge of the oil pan is covered in foil backed silicone foam tape to protect from radiant and ambient heat. Every connector and hydraulic line have the tape applied. In the material science field this would be called a band-aid for an over temps’ environment.
Posted By: killerv Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Originally Posted by Higginez
No truck is made like it used to be. Buddy had sunroof go out

Oh the irony.

well, when you are big money like him and order a truck with every option. He earned it.

Dang, all these guys on here driving plain jane 1500 work trucks like the county workers have.

Power windows are just the worst! the horror of a truck having something like that.

Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21

Summary:

I've got the exact same rig - Lariat edition. Brought it in this week for an oil change, tire rotation, and 63 point check up. They said I needed a new air filter and back brakes. GTG on the air filter, but back brakes at 30K? They said the pads were at 2mm and it needed new rotors. Ford mechanic made sure to tell me that changing the brakes is a bit more complicated because of the electronic parking brake. In my experience, the front brakes always go first. Something doesn't sound right to me. Plus, now I'm getting a "clunking" noise when the tranny downshifts and sometimes when I put it into gear. I have 4K miles and 4 months left on the warranty. Sure as I'm sitting here, that trans will go out sometime shortly after one of those deadlines.
Posted By: K1500 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
My 2011 Duramax never had brakes done in nearly 150,000, and the mechanic still said they looked pretty good regarding pad thickness.
Posted By: 5spd Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
My 2018 f150, 3.5 ecoboost 4wd crew cab has only had the center console replaced under a recall, otherwise it's been running strong at 49k miles right now.
I run 2 tracks, mud snow and am happy with it's overall petformance.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit.

I bought a couple of F150s for my company that had Hangooks on them and had the same experience.
Posted By: las Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
[

I've got the exact same rig - Lariat edition. Brought it in this week for an oil change, tire rotation, and 63 point check up. They said I needed a new air filter and back brakes. GTG on the air filter, but back brakes at 30K? They said the pads were at 2mm and it needed new rotors. Ford mechanic made sure to tell me that changing the brakes is a bit more complicated because of the electronic parking brake. In my experience, the front brakes always go first. Something doesn't sound right to me. Plus, now I'm getting a "clunking" noise when the tranny downshifts and sometimes when I put it into gear. I have 4K miles and 4 months left on the warranty. Sure as I'm sitting here, that trans will go out sometime shortly after one of those deadlines.[/quote].

You obviously need to go to CA by way of WA, and return through Dallas , Atlanta , NY, and Chicago in the next couple months before the warranty expires.

I'm convinced design engineers with no experience in the application (or maybe highly experienced!) lay awake nights thinking crap like this up, then giggling about it over drinks at their conventions.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
43k on my 19 5.0 not one problem.Have original Hankooks.I must have maintained mine.375K on my last one .So. Don't try to tell me about them Jap wheelbarrels.lol
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
Ford is dog s hit.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit.

I bought a couple of F150s for my company that had Hangooks on them and had the same experience.

Yes the Hankooks remind me of a set of no name snow tread tires I bought from Pep Boys. They looked great but, were horrid.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/23/21
My company truck is a 2019 ford ranger. Granted, it is in the mud and slop everyday. 55.000 miles just got the second set of brakes, front and rear put on.
Posted By: Slim_Jenkins Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Every single vehicle made is an absolute POS.

Read it here on the 'Fire.

You nailed it.

My wife has never been easy on her vehicles yet her 2018 F-150 ecoboost has about 15k more miles and has been absolutely flawless. We don’t exactly live in the flats either. Plus, it see’s more towing than most ladies grocery getters.

Amazing what you read on the campfire.

Also, I changed the brakes on my 2012 ecoboost at 100k even though they were fine. Easy to keep up with at 100k. Serpentine belt, plugs, etc.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
I have a 2015 f150 with over 100,000 miles and still have the same brake pads.

The plugs are still doing well and i have changed the original tires after around 50,000 miles or so.

The recalls they have sent me are a few of the dumbest things i have ever heard.

I had the doors adjusted around 6000 miles and at the oil change around that time they said that the battery did not look right when hooked up on their scanner.

That's it other than having the right rear quarter panel replaced when i backed into my tractor and having the stripe a 17 year old girl put on the driver's side.

It has the 3.5 eco-boost and it tows good.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Crazy shiet. Im on my second set of Hancock tires on my F150. Put first set on at 90,000 now have 210,000 still running on the second set. Just replaced steer axle brake pads for the second time averaging about 100,000 on steer axle brakes. She must ride her brakes. F150's are for the most part solid trucks. Sometimes you will run across a bad one.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
I've been interested in the 2021 hybrid f150 with the built in 7.2 kwatt generator. I haven't owned a Ford since I bought my first car, a mustang, at age 15.

My dad had a 96 or so powersmoke that was a total lemon and then the gave him a 98 exhibition to trade out his lemon truck. The exhibitions were new at the time but it rode and drove terrible. It felt like riding in a bathtub on a skateboard. No one in my family has owned a Ford since until my little brother got an ecoboast this year for a work truck. He likes his new f150.

Bb
Posted By: elkmtb Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Just turned over 100k miles on my 2016 F150 5.0. Oil changes, filters and gas. Got 65k miles on the Goodyear’s that came on it- did have to replace 1 that had a slow leak.

Drives better than my chevys ever did by a large margin.

Only recall was for a seatbelt tensioner.

There is a reason why they outsell everything else almost combined
Posted By: BobBrown Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have 55,000 miles on my 2017 F-150. It has the 5.0 engine. Overall gas mileage is 19 MPG. I'm still running the tires it came with, Goodyears, and they look to be good for at least another 10,000 miles or so. They have been rotated every 5-10,000 miles.

If the truck in the OP is in that bad of shape, I'd say it's not Ford's fault, but neglect from the owner.

Lady driver so yup
Posted By: MM879 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn
My work truck is a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 v8. It has 125k on it. Oil changes, one set of tires, and a battery replacement are all that have been done to it. Still runs and drives like a new one.

If she needs brakes at 30k miles, somebody failed to teach her how to drive.

Please explain how you can abuse the rear brakes? The electronic parking brake is interlock protected from use during drive?
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
I had my 2011 F-150 up on the lift at my friend’s garage last night. I thought it had a front wheel bearing going out because it would make a rotor scraping noise when turning right. It was just the backing plate had warped from corrosion.
While it was up in the air we checked the upper and lower ball joints and the tie rods. All four ball joints are starting to show some play, but the tie rod joints are all still good. Pretty dang good service life I would say, 10 years and 170,000 miles.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
No truck is made like it used to be.

Thats why 200k+ miles are no issue with todays vehicles.
Posted By: rem141r Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
30k miles and the shocks are shot? anybody diagnose that? i can see the tires being shot. my '15 f250 had some goodyear schit tires on it that only lasted 20k. it sounds like she has a lemon. it seems like once in a while a vehicle rolls off the line that has just about every fricken thing go wrong that could go wrong. sucks when its yours. my 250 has been a good truck but needed a whole new rear brake job last year due to salt/rust. 700 bucks. the only thing i could really blame on ford was it had a front tranny seal leak when it was a couple of years old. covered under warranty and no problems since. well, except for the 10 mpg out of the 6.2l. you guys getting 19 out of a 5.0 are lucky.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
I’m going to opine that the shocks are fine, just part of the “fuuk the women customer” mechanic scheme.
OP, have you looked at the shocks? Are they leaking fluid? Does the truck bounce and sway over bumps?
Posted By: MM879 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I’m going to opine that the shocks are fine, just part of the “fuuk the women customer” mechanic scheme.
OP, have you looked at the shocks? Are they leaking fluid? Does the truck bounce and sway over bumps?

I think that is mostly the calibration that Ford selected. The vehicle rolls and bounces. None of the shocks show signs of oil leak.
Posted By: horse1 Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
140K on my '17 Murano, haven't replaced the brakes yet, down to about 25% of the pads left.

185K on my '11 F250 diesel, I have replaced the brakes once.

Wife's '07 AWD Fusion has just under 90K, almost all in-town driving, still on the original brakes.
Posted By: Slim_Jenkins Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
So it’s poor quality tires and a preferred ride comfort. The only legitimate issue is the brakes somehow. Interesting.
Fortunately none of our vehicles nor in the fleet require PVC oil so we’re good there.
I’ll be sure to take these trucks off my buy list and spread the word! Thanks! crazy
Posted By: JPro Re: F150 30k Checkup - 04/24/21
Lots of guys here like Fords for the boat-ish ride. This is because so many of our roads are potholes held together with cold patch. I’ve got a jap sedan, two jap SUVs, a jap pickup, and an F150. The Ford is the most cush, even though it’s a 4x4. I used to not care about such things, but I now value comfort to a fair degree in a daily. Stiff is fine for Jeeps, hot rods, and hunting trucks.
© 24hourcampfire