Home
A local gun shop Red's Trading Post has some powder in stock. H4530 $69.99 / lb or $499.99 / 8lb keg. Varget is a little cheaper at 59.99 / lb and I think there was some 4064 at $49.99/lb. Is this where we are? or are they taking advantage of the situation.

Sportsman's warehouse gets about 5# per week and the same dozen old retired guys go buy it whether they need it or not. Other than that there really is nothing available in Southern Idaho.

I did not buy any, actually had some pretty serious sticker shock. I guess that puts me in the gouging camp, but after thinking about it a day I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for powder prices. I would hope that prices would settle back to maybe 20% over what it was before but it's going to take a while.
Local shop had R17 & R26 last weekend and priced at 39.95. I thought that was high. Sucks
You can also but it direct from hogdons web site.
I don't think 70 bucks a pound for h4350 is the new norm. If you pay that much it's the new norm for you.

Patience grasshopper.
hard to believe that the same old retired guys are buying all the available powder.
Paid $32 for several different types last 2 weeks.
I paid $31.99 for a pound of CFEBLK and $37.00 for a pound of Longshot in the past two weeks. Also a pound of H4198 for $31.99. These are from LGS. They are mostly selling to regulars who are buying to use, rather than flip it for a profit.
If you are paying $50-100 per pound, you are extremely desperate or......
I've been trading my powder stockpile for reloading services from my next door neighbor.
Originally Posted by centershot
A local gun shop Red's Trading Post has some powder in stock. H4530 $69.99 / lb or $499.99 / 8lb keg. Varget is a little cheaper at 59.99 / lb and I think there was some 4064 at $49.99/lb. Is this where we are? or are they taking advantage of the situation.

Sportsman's warehouse gets about 5# per week and the same dozen old retired guys go buy it whether they need it or not. Other than that there really is nothing available in Southern Idaho.

I did not buy any, actually had some pretty serious sticker shock. I guess that puts me in the gouging camp, but after thinking about it a day I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for powder prices. I would hope that prices would settle back to maybe 20% over what it was before but it's going to take a while.

They're out of their minds. As stated above, Hodgdon's selling from their website and Powder Valley gets stuff in regularly. Just gotta be ready to jump when in stock.

I don’t wanna sound like an ass hole, but we’re all you people born between November 2016 and November 2020?

Because this has all happened before. The only thing that stopped it was Trump’s winning. Remember?

So do the math. It’s not stopping until the Potato Head is out.

It is not going to improve.
I'm seeing powder here in SC AK since Feb at any where from $32 to $40 a pound. One place wanted $320 for an 8lb of IMR4831, 3 weeks later they still had it.
I don't know of any powder at the BPS, Sportsmans, Cabelas around here, maybe they get some in on certain days but they would sell out fast if they did. I hear some of the smaller gun stores get some and it's 60 or more per pound, primers are up to 100 a brick.

I've had a lot of components since 2010 for the guns I have, shotgun, rifle and a 45, and 22 shells. In the last year I've bought some new guns that require different components so am restocking my inventory. I've picked up sr and sp primers by trading powder, other primers, bullets. I've picked up bullets online from midway, shooters pro shop, midsouth, even here in the classifieds.

Powder... starting last dec I've watched the sites, midway, powder valley, hodgdon, sporadically powder comes available and then sells fast.

Popular powders were 30 to 35 a pound, add haz, shipping, tax, if you can get 4 or more pounds it averages 8 to 10 bucks a pound depending on the source... so 40 to 45 a pound.

This month when available those same powders are 41 to 48 plus the H/S/T from Midway.

I was able to get 5lbs of IMR from Hodgdon and it cost 245.07 total. If sportsmans had it which they don't, it would be 42 plus tax, so 46+ and gas to get there. I didn't buy that powder for me but to pass on to others here local... I'm done as some feel it's gouger price and it is high, every one can just source their own.

Powder is pretty much 50 bucks a pound retail now for the decent rifle powders.

Yesterday midway had some primers available when I checked, remington 209 shotgun... 75 bucks a brick, 1 brick limit, add H/S/T it had to be over 100 bucks, all their primers are 75 bucks retail.

I don't see retail going back down to last years prices ever. It pretty much mirrors the issues we have in the construction industry and material prices.

Kent

Same ole same ole BS line that was thrown about on the last shortage. Just about as worn out as Russian collusion. Give it a break.
Also... Midway had some VV powders a couple weeks ago, 8lb N560 was 342, I add it to cart and went through the whole thing to see how much... 397.77 for an 8lber. I had no intention of buying but was curious.

That's retail now.

Kent
The little ttle bit of powder that's available at my LGS is running between $37&$45 per pound. I caved and picked up a couple pounds of 4198 a couple weeks ago. It was $41 per pound.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Same ole same ole BS line that was thrown about on the last shortage. Just about as worn out as Russian collusion. Give it a break.

That is exact words from a Sportsman's Warehouse employee. Flame on.
Originally Posted by deflave

I don’t wanna sound like an ass hole, but we’re all you people born between November 2016 and November 2020?

Because this has all happened before. The only thing that stopped it was Trump’s winning. Remember?

Didn't say I bought any........ I have enough stockpile to get me through this year and maybe next - but not shooting as much as I would like to. Eventually I am going to run out and then I'll have to pay the price or take up golf.......and I hate golf.
I’m not saying that you did.

I’m saying it is not going to end. You have four years of this minimum.

So yeah, there’s more than one reason I golf like a banshee.
Whit inthe world is goin on with the prices and stuff, I been watchin Stagecoach and list’nin to Farty Robbins?
Most likely have enough for the rest of my days.
A little off subject but I came in late from hog shooting last night and bid $131 on Gunbroker for 500 (5 boxes) of Hornady .308 bullets in 150 grain Interlock. I got up late and found out I was outbid $5 and the sale was over, but the bullets were relisted despite there being no reserve on them. What's up with that?
Seller outbid you.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Seller outbid you.Kent
You mean a seller can outbid you and then just relist without paying Gunbroker's commission? The seller and the bidder that beat me $5 did not have the same name and the bidder was rated A+. This stinks.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've been trading my powder stockpile for reloading services from my next door neighbor.

Similar here. The daughter of a friend is a stay at home mom and is just getting into hunting and shooting. She's constantly checking the local shops for ammo for herself and powder and primers for me. She's recently scored a couple thousand primers and a couple pounds of powder for me and I load ammo for her and her husband in trade.

Red's is screwing folks that are stupid enough to pay those prices. A local store here got in around 100 lbs of Hodgdon powders last week. IIRC, most of it was priced at $31.99 or $32.99 per pound with a 2 lb limit per customer. Of course, it only lasted 1 day but the point is the price was 'normal', IMO.
Supply and demand folks.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by krp
Seller outbid you.Kent
You mean a seller can outbid you and then just relist without paying Gunbroker's commission? The seller and the bidder that beat me $5 did not have the same name and the bidder was rated A+. This stinks.

Proxy accounts, common practice.

Kent
I wish I could find 1 pound of H4831sc to get me thru hunting season this fall!
I’m not saying that you did.

I’m saying it is not going to end. You have four years of this minimum.

So yeah, there’s more than one reason I golf like a banshee.

You scream really loud on the links?
I paid $42 per pound for H4350 and H4831SC at a local store in the past couple weeks.
Last week at Scheel’s Kansas City bought VV N560 for $42/lb and IMR 4451 for $32/lb. 2 can limit.

Week before they had jugs of N570 for $300
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I don't think 70 bucks a pound for h4350 is the new norm. If you pay that much it's the new norm for you.

Patience grasshopper.

Well said. I bought 2 canisters of pistol powder a couple weeks back. They also had some H335 and Varget. The powders they had were only $5 more than pre election prices. I like these people. Been doing business with them since 2005. Will continue.
Good deal you pay your money

I would not personally pay $60 per pound for Varget. However, a quick check of Gun Broker completed auctions for Varget. 26 pages ranked by number of bids highest to lowest. At the 10 page mark, Individual 1 lb containers of Varget are still well OVER $100 per pound total delivered cost. So, while I would not pay $60 per pound for Varget, there are apparently hundreds of reloaders who would think $60 a pound to be a bargain... Crazy world we live in...

Didn't say I bought any........ I have enough stockpile to get me through this year and maybe next - but not shooting as much as I would like to. Eventually I am going to run out and then I'll have to pay the price or take up golf.......and I hate golf.

I don't hate golf. It's the golfers I hate.
centershot: Gouging there - I bought several pounds of powder at my LGS and paid $41.00 a pound for three pounds of Varget and then $32.00 a pound for both CFE-BLK and H-322 (no sales tax in Montana). This was about 15 days ago.
That powder was for my needy friends and Hunting partners - except for the CFE-BLK which I want to try in my 17 Hornet.
They got in about 200 pounds of powder in that shipment and they have only 10 or 12 pounds left.
And this - is there a powder designated "H-4530" - if so I am not familiar with it - maybe it is worth $61.99 a pound?
I do know that Varget powder is HIGHLY sought after nowadays - but those prices (at your LGS) are gouging.
If it were me I would ride out the storm (if it ever ends!) and once components become available (again IF they ever do!) I would tell that LGS owner, politely, to pound sand up his ass!
You should see the list of components and ammunition (and guns!) that I have in my wallet of and for my friends "needs".
Last night at the local NRA Banquet a carton of small Rifle primers (1,000 primers) sold for $1,000.00 (one thousand dollars!)!
If my figgerin is right that is $1.00 per primer (that money went for a good cause though?).
Thankfully I long ago learned of the perils of not having plenty of components/ammunition on hand - I have lifetime supplies of everything and have had it on hand for several years.
Best of luck to you in your search/quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hard to believe that the same old retired guys are buying all the available powder.

It's hard to believe because it's not true ... it's a lie.

Just sitting here wondering why you felt the need to try to marginalize a specific group with an unsubstantiated claim like that?

If you had just put "white" in front of "guys" you'd fall right into the same category I put the MSM and BLM and woke SJWs in these days ... the assclown group.

So you're a boomer hater huh? Obviously.

And, IF, "the same old dozen old retired white guys" (and we know they are white because you live in Southern Idaho) ARE actually buying it ... you certainly have no way of knowing "whether they need it or not" ... now do you?

So I just find the entire claim somewhat unsettling.

FWIW I've recently spoken with a couple of friends, today as a matter of fact, a couple of fellow old retired white guys I served with at Bragg who now live in Idaho ... neither of them mentioned price gouging per se. They did confirm higher prices but, as with me and with most old retired white guys, we planned and prepped for ages, decades even, and, to the best of my knowledge we are some of the least panic impulse buyers in this country. Typically it is our group, our generation, that were raised by preppers, raised by parents who lived-through World Wars, the Great Depression, etc., who taught us to always prepare and even stockpile.

So I do believe you embellished. That, or you misspoke or painted an imaginary picture for us to digest ... shame on you.

Furthermore, let's say there are actually "a dozen old retired white guys," that you are aware of and that you can substantiate as actually existing and gobbling-up all the available overpriced reloading components in your area ... let's say they actually exist and you've observed and identified this group of impulse panic buying nefarious old white retirees in your area where, obviously, all the hateful uncaring hoarding selfish greedy reloading old white men live ... then I say more power to my retired brothers. Let'em spend their social security money and retirement dividend checks wherever the hell and on whatever the hell they wanna spend them on.

Signed,

Old Retired White Guy who reloads but who has more in my reloading room right now than Midway and Powder Valley combined apparently. And I'll take pictures to prove it if necessary because I am an old white guy who doesn't talk [bleep].

PS: My friends live in Ketchum and Horseshoe Bend ... either near you by chance? I wanted to warn them that there is some young wet behind the ears jealous brat kid out there spying on them and posting funny things about them, just incase. Because I laughed at your descriptors.

PSS: The answer to your question is, yes, this is the new norm for awhile but the level of gouging in your area seems to be extreme, if it is to be believed. Us old white guys have prepared since back in 2008-2012 the last major time we saw this happen ... and again just before the 2016 election when everyone thought Killary was going to be elected. So we're sitting here waiting for it to all blow over and then we'll resupply. Until then ... we'll either die away, die in a fight when someone comes to mass confiscate our guns illegally and unconstitutionally or we'll hand it down to our Sons and Grandsons.

PSSS: Oh, I see, you live in Twin Falls. Perhaps it was some old retired white guys who just moved there from Kalifornia and they have more money than they know what to do with and they're just-now getting into reloading
and they're desperately trying to catch-up now that they're the hell out of Kommunist Kalifornia? Yeah, I'll bet that's what this is all about. Unless you know and recognized the same dozen old retired white guys that deserved your ire?

Regards
SCRooster, Despite jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, your comments are spot on indicating you know how to do a PLF.

As for the whining puke, I rather doubt he has ever worn the uni or stood in the face of danger.

Being too [bleep] dumb to stock up in times of plenty marks him as one of the first to expire when the SHTF.

The USA could lose 200 million and not notice it. (See population when greatest generation ran the place). That would solve many shortages and other problems.
I'm not retired but am a white guy. There's no doubt that there are some who make a hobby of being at the door the minute they open and cleaning out everything they can carry, I've got a buddy who has just gotten into guns over the last year and he's one of them, he'll freely tell you so.

There's also the issue that most of these powders are made overseas and most of the world is locked up tighter than a drum over Covid right now. I'm in Japan on a work trip now and confined to my hotel. Most places in Asia are like that right now. I was in Europe a couple of days ago and little is open in France and Germany, just grocery stores and take out food joints. I had to carry permission papers to be able to travel to the airport in France or risk being jailed for being out after curfew. While the U.S. is gradually opening and free states like Florida, Texas, and Mississippi are essentially back to normal, most of the rest of the world has been increasing the restrictions, not loosening them. They're doubling down on full retard and I can only imagine the difficulty in getting powder produced and shipped right now. The extent that Europe and Asia are locked down right now has to be seen. Australia isn't bad internally but getting into and out of the country is a nightmare, so much that many of my colleagues are refusing to go there.

Add to all that the fact that we now have the most left wing gun hating administration in history with Biden/Harris and it's a perfect storm. I wouldn't look for anything to get better for a long time.
I've held on to a canister of Titewad I bought by mistake in place of Titegroup. Hogdon has published some pistol data. I guess I won't be giving it away now. smile
I got a bag of 6.5 Creedmoor Brass in one store, then 1,000 primers at another today. I couldn't find a 6.5 bullet with a search warrant though.
Woof... That's a sticker shock for sure.. I was rearranging part of my wood shop yesterday and noted a few 8# containers of power with price stickers of around $95.. One-pounders were in the $14-17 range.. Seeing the posts above of the 'new' prices sure made me glad I stocked up several years ago.. eek
Yesterday Powder valley had VV powders, N565 and N140 are popular and desired around here. I was going to buy some and offer it on the local site for cost. But N565 was about 350 for an 8lber and 215 for 4 1lbers.

With all the grumblings and such about private sale prices, at over 50 bucks a pound or 350 for a jug just to get my money back, it's not worth the chit I'd take.

Kent
Originally Posted by Hastings
A little off subject but I came in late from hog shooting last night and bid $131 on Gunbroker for 500 (5 boxes) of Hornady .308 bullets in 150 grain Interlock. I got up late and found out I was outbid $5 and the sale was over, but the bullets were relisted despite there being no reserve on them. What's up with that?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010481642?pid=635827
Originally Posted by krp
Yesterday Powder valley had VV powders, N565 and N140 are popular and desired around here. I was going to buy some and offer it on the local site for cost. But N565 was about 350 for an 8lber and 215 for 4 1lbers.

With all the grumblings and such about private sale prices, at over 50 bucks a pound or 350 for a jug just to get my money back, it's not worth the chit I'd take.

Kent

Kent ... I was all over Powder Valley almost all day yesterday ..... even placed a large order of some kegs of Accurate, Alliant, Hodgdon and Winchester - exceeded the 33 pd red line, various flavors .... even had a nice conversation with Bailey (lovely woman) at Powder Valley yesterday ... she and I even talked specifically about VV and she laughed at me and corrected my attempt at pronunciation with my deeply southern accent (whereas her laugh and pronunciation sounded like honey butter) .... but I don't think they had any VV yesterday. They had some 120 and 320 a few weeks ago but that was the last time they've had VV in awhile and they haven't had 130, 133, 135, 140, 530 or 540 in a long long time.

I did score a bunch of H110, A1680, Autocomp, Accurate No 5 and No 7 and CFE BLK but I am still waiting and watching for someone to get-in some of my beloved VVs in the flavors mentioned above.
It doesn't last long, I had it in cart and checkout yesterday, they had almost all available. I did buy some 133 in February or March from PV. Midway had VV powders on the 16th of this month, an 8lb jug was 397.77, didn't buy that either.

Kent
VV 110 available at midway 8lber now.

Kent
More VV powders at Midway... 3 series and 555 165 135

Kent
© 24hourcampfire