Home
Posted By: luv2safari Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
She always wanted a small cabin in the woods, and as of yesterday she has one. It's permitted as a "Play House", and the permit is free...no plumbing or electrical. A stove, refrigerator, and sink from a broken C/O camper will get installed, and we'll insulate and drywall it. The outhouse from the farm will get moved up to the site; it's actually a shed we built to look like a two-holer.

When Frenchman Lake and Lake Davis dry up this summer due to a crushing drought I'll quit fishing and start doing the interior.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: copperking81 Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
My wife would kick my azz if I brought that home for her.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
And you get the shaft?

Did she let you have a key? wink
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Cool
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by copperking81

His may have done that to get it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Looks good to me!

Enjoy!!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by copperking81

Too bad you don't have a great wife like mine. This is her family mountain campground she-shed.

The 34' 5th wheel is always on standby.

Posted By: ol_mike Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Seen a guy run a Shed & Breakfast out of a smaller unit .
Posted By: AZmark Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Beautiful looking country, looks a lot like where I live in EasternAZ and Ive got the same shed but with door/windows on the side only. Its my electrical contracting storage shed but in a couple years all that "work" crap will be moved out and I'm not sure what I'll do with it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
A home away from home is great.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And you get the shaft?

YEAH!!
laugh

One for each door...
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Good stuff, Safari !
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Several of those around us OP. Enjoy your new vacation home.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
NICE
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Looks good to me, L2S.
Posted By: DMc Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Why didn't you build it on site rather than move it? Post pics when the interior is installed. I think it's terrific. Will need a deck, partially covered would be nice.

What are the dimensions?
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
I like it!
Posted By: Backroads Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Looks like nice country!
How close is the water?
Originally Posted by DMc
Why didn't you build it on site rather than move it? Post pics when the interior is installed. I think it's terrific. Will need a deck, partially covered would be nice.

What are the dimensions?

I am 73 with only one usable arm and a twice broken back. I bought it from the builder of these just a few miles from me, and he delivered it at no additional charge. It is a two hour trip to the site one way, also, and gas ain't free. We did the calculations of materials costs and travel. It cost no more to have Out West Buildings make me one at their local factory than trying to build it ourselves, which is nearly impossible now. With no power to the area I would have used two generators for saws and compressors, plus hauling everything to the site and back.

Four hours a day would be devoted to travel. And, this being an engineered building makes permitting much simpler. Son and grandson, plus son's construction foreman/carpenter friend use the campground a lot and will build a 10X10 storage shed behind the cabin. I bought the materials last year when I saw prices starting to move up. They'll also do a porch cover to the side, where we'll build a paver patio.

It's a 10'X20' lofted barn with the loft floor 10'X10' With doors, windows, insulated floor, and delivery and placement on the pad I built it was $7,500.00, including 7.6% sales tax. For that and all the travel involved let them build it and bring it on up.
Originally Posted by Backroads
Looks like nice country!
How close is the water?

I'm between two lakes, ten miles to the east and to the west on an improved gravel Forest Service road, plus there is some close by stream fishing.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Looks like nice country!
How close is the water?

I'm between two lakes, ten miles to the east and to the west on an improved gravel Forest Service road, plus there is some close by stream fishing.

Nice to be close to recreation for sure!
How far to drinking water?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Nice! Hope y’all enjoy it.
Looks like nice country!
How close is the water?

The property owners, a real kick-back bunch, have a community spring fed water source 3/4 mile from me. UCLA tested the water and said it's the best and purest water they have ever tested. The flow out the pipe is about 4 gallons/minute, and the watercress there is fresh and sweet.

I have two high flow demand pumps I got for the farm to build a sprayer that didn't get built. I'll put a 5 gallon bucket under the spring pipe with a 55 gallon blue food grade poly tank in the back of the truck and pump from the bucket up into the tank. Then I'll pump that into another tank on a stand next to the cabin. That water will be for washing and bathing. We're rigging a shower stall outside the 10X10 shed with my RV hang on LP instant water heater. The outhouse uses a plastic bag lined five gallon bucket and cedar chips. We used that method all last summer, and it works great, just add cedar chips as you "go". wink
Posted By: las Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Nice! My wife has 2 - one is actually "finished". more or less. After 40 years....

So we bought another over the winter. Some assembly required,

Tin side goes up....... smile

In the interim, for short visits.... yeah, I know. Crappy solution. Maybe the wheels weren't such a good idea, but that's the way it came.

Enjoy your new cabin, guy!

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Livin' the good life there Bruce!

I think you're smart..............like me. Mennonites build those things here, we have had them move on a 10x12 shed and our chicken coop. Here in our county, anything 120sf or less needs no permit. The shed is my wife's, for her dog training equipment and assorted other things.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Nice little cabin especially when you get it finished out👍
Originally Posted by las
Nice! My wife has 2 - one is actually "finished". more or less. After 40 years....

So we bought another over the winter. Some assembly required,

Tin side goes up....... smile

In the interim, for short visits.... yeah, I know. Crappy solution. Maybe the wheels weren't such a good idea, but that's the way it came.

Enjoy your new cabin, guy!

In CA that would need a steering wheel, seat belt, rearview mirror, and a cat-converter.
grin
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Beautiful!

[/quote]

In CA that would need a steering wheel, seat belt, rearview mirror, and a cat-converter.
grin[/quote]

Registration, insurance, personal property tax?

Cabins like ours are for sanity checks. When we leave them, we know we are crazy
Looks like nice country!
How close is the water?

The property owners, a real kick-back bunch, have a community spring fed water source 3/4 mile from me. UCLA tested the water and said it's the best and purest water they have ever tested. The flow out the pipe is about 4 gallons/minute, and the watercress there is fresh and sweet.

I have two high flow demand pumps I got for the farm to build a sprayer that didn't get built. I'll put a 5 gallon bucket under the spring pipe with a 55 gallon blue food grade poly tank in the back of the truck and pump from the bucket up into the tank. Then I'll pump that into another tank on a stand next to the cabin. That water will be for washing and bathing. We're rigging a shower stall outside the 10X10 shed with my RV hang on LP instant water heater. The outhouse uses a plastic bag lined five gallon bucket and cedar chips. We used that method all last summer, and it works great, just add cedar chips as you "go". wink

Sounds like a nice spot.
Congrats!
Originally Posted by czech1022
Beautiful!

Come on up and go fishing, my friend. wink
Posted By: ironbender Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by las

What is this showing?
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Nice, I like it!!!!
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

What is this showing?

That's my newest outhouse , Mike. Snow should be gone about now, or soon.

You in for a crapper raising???

Seems it got the wind up at some point before we bought the place in January..... You notice the wind-anchor cable from the cabin?

I'll handle the outhouse anchors and tie-down cable, once up again.

Lookin like luv might be smarter than me..... but that's a low bar. smile

View is good though.

Posted By: frogman43 Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by DMc

What are the dimensions?

I am 73 with only one usable arm and a twice broken back. I bought it from the builder of these just a few miles from me, and he delivered it at no additional charge. It is a two hour trip to the site one way, also, and gas ain't free. We did the calculations of materials costs and travel. It cost no more to have Out West Buildings make me one at their local factory than trying to build it ourselves, which is nearly impossible now. With no power to the area I would have used two generators for saws and compressors, plus hauling everything to the site and back.

Four hours a day would be devoted to travel. And, this being an engineered building makes permitting much simpler. Son and grandson, plus son's construction foreman/carpenter friend use the campground a lot and will build a 10X10 storage shed behind the cabin. I bought the materials last year when I saw prices starting to move up. They'll also do a porch cover to the side, where we'll build a paver patio.

It's a 10'X20' lofted barn with the loft floor 10'X10' With doors, windows, insulated floor, and delivery and placement on the pad I built it was $7,500.00, including 7.6% sales tax. For that and all the travel involved let them build it and bring it on up.

A bargain I'd say! Congratulations! Should make a fine Cabin.....I would use such a thing myself!

Frog----OUT!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Smart plan luv2 and dang nice sometimes less is more. You have the jump on us. Enjoy . Mb
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
I have a similar 12'x16' "Chalet" in a remote part of my Colorado property. Sometimes, i can get my 4x4 up there; sometimes not. But it's got everything I need, except for fresh food and extra clothes, which I can hike up if needed. I always can get my vehicle within about 1/4 mile of it. It's amazing what one can do with such a small structure.

It has a loft, which helps.

Plenty of booze and ammo.

Stove/oven.

Heat.

Posted By: BOFF Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
WOOHOO!!

Pleased for you!!
Look forward to seeing the build process!!

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
And you get the shaft?

YEAH!!
laugh

One for each door...

Nice ..... Why 2 doors? With the 2nd door you're losing wall space and it swings in so losing floor space.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Fantastic solution to your situation, be smarter than what you are working with I always say. Time and gas are considerations...

Guys who set the building for you had the tools too! Last one I bought I had to move across my backyard on 4" steel pipe rollers and a comealong, but got 'er done. Insurance only allows a certain amount of powder and primers in the home, I put an ammo plant in one of my storage units.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Are you going to finish it out and insulate it?

I did that to a 12x24 cabin a couple years ago. It was more work than I anticipated... crazy (I'm definitely not a carpenter... grin )

Ours is the cabin left of the barn... Gotta have a/c here. wink

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

What is this showing?

That's my newest outhouse , Mike. Snow should be gone about now, or soon.

You in for a crapper raising???

Seems it got the wind up at some point before we bought the place in January..... You notice the wind-anchor cable from the cabin?

I'll handle the outhouse anchors and tie-down cable, once up again.

Lookin like luv might be smarter than me..... but that's a low bar. smile

View is good though.

Your view wins! shocked cool cool
Originally Posted by SuperCub
And you get the shaft?

YEAH!!
laugh

One for each door...

Nice ..... Why 2 doors? With the 2nd door you're losing wall space and it swings in so losing floor space.

The side door exits under the loft and will be egress from the bedroom there when I add a partial wall. With the kitchen going to the front left corner of the cabin I wanted an exit toward the back in case of a kitchen accidental fire. As an old insurance adjuster, among other past occupations, I have seen tragic disasters when there was only one egress.

I'm picking up the drywall and insulation today. Somebody buy my drilling for sale here, so I can pay for it. wink

Wife and I are enjoying seeing the other small cabins being posted. PLEASE POST MORE. laugh
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Nice way to R&R for sure. Whole bunch of winners on here!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
Very nice Luv2.

Deer hunted that area of NorCal a few times in life. Took a few deer out by Davis lake back in 88'.

Also fished the heck out of them lakes during my single days.

God's country. even by California Standards.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Very nice Luv2.

Deer hunted that area of NorCal a few times in life. Took a few deer out by Davis lake back in 88'.

Also fished the heck out of them lakes during my single days.

God's country. even by California Standards.

Plumas County is pretty conservative, even by CA standards.

I got this guy just east of Frenchman above Doyle Grade years ago.

Very Nice. One of them Interstate Rocky Mountain Doyle or Loyalton herds.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
NICE!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
View don’t suck!

Nothing better than a crapper raising. LOL Let me know.
The crapper we're moving up there...lousy photo...

It's a garden shed right now.

Now just need a stack of vintage sears catalogs.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/06/21
If more millennial would play house out in the woods.

No, never mind..
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/07/21
Super cool, congrats!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/07/21
Im looking for some ground to put one on myself
Very cool.

Congrats!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/07/21
those shabins are quite popular around my camp. my buddy had one hauled in and set up for 4300 bucks. i think it is 12x16 with a 4' porch. his also has a loft. nice thing around here is no permit required. he ran electric to it and uses it as a bunkhouse for his kids. my other buddy has an old trailer that is falling apart and he is probably going to replace it with two of those and a bootleg schithouse.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/07/21
Next load, ready to go up to the cabin.

There goes another summer... frown

Posted By: NVhntr Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/07/21
Insulation and drywall; that's a trailer full of misery!

Really, I wish I had a place like that up out of the heat,
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Wife Gets Cabin - 05/08/21
Nice!
© 24hourcampfire