Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Honor our mothers to day?
Posted By: rem141r Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
i just cooked up a mess of his sausage this morning for gravy and bisquets. his music, eh, not for me.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Posted By: muleshoe Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Ummm, I think the 4th commandment has something to do with keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

But it's always a good day to honor your mom.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Ummm, I think the 4th commandment has something to do with keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

blush

I need new Glasses!
I was only off by one. laugh
Posted By: muleshoe Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
I get to grill some burgers for my momma here pretty soon. I'm happy to still have her around.
Posted By: DeadHead Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
You’d think such a dedicated holy roller would have that stuff memorized.
I lost my Darling/Dear Mother at the age of sixty-three.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Can’t say mother anymore. It’s happy birthing people day. Get woke
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Wikipedia says that according to some flavors of the jesus and god club, it’s the 4th.

Pick you club carefully wabi! 😆

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments
Some days Mike, I have trouble remembering my own name!
And, no, I wasn't there when Moses came down the mountain with them. laugh
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
And, no, I wasn't there when Moses came down the mountain with them. laugh

Maybe not, but the “ink” was still wet!
laugh
Now if we could get to honoring our mothers?
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Exodus 20:12

“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”
Posted By: Scotty Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
This is my first Mother Day with out her.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Originally Posted by Scotty
This is my first Mother Day with out her.

23 for me.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Honoring your father and mother is the first commandment with promise for a long life and wellness in living.

Ephesians 6:1-3
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;

3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/09/21
Is there anywhere in the New Testament that we, as parents, are told to treat our own children differently than we would any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

Any thoughts on Paul’s advice to treat our children with gentleness because it helps them stay responsive to instruction and correction...?
Originally Posted by antlers
Is there anywhere in the New Testament that we, as parents, are told to treat our own children differently than we would any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

Any thoughts on Paul’s advice to treat our children with gentleness because it helps them stay responsive to instruction and correction...?

Good question friend.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
I’ve been an orphan for 10 years now. Lost mom to pneumonia in 2003 on Thanksgiving. She was 74, and starting to slip into dementia. I guess it was God’s blessing that I didn’t have to watch her decline further.
Dad hung around to see 88 years. All in fairly good health and complete control of his faculties. He hunted and worked on vehicles up until a few months before the end. Killed a 7 point at 86!
Tomorrow will be exactly 10 years since he died.
I miss both of them, but I know we’ll all be reunited when I’m done here. In the meantime I think of them both with a smile, and a heart full of praise to God for the both of them, and the guidance and love they gave me.
I’ve always said that I’m one lucky SOB.
7mm
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
Thanks good folks for the replies.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21

That’s the difference between discipline (being your child’s disciple) and punishment.

Conversely, one can let the school whack their asses.

YMMV.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21

Originally Posted by ironbender
That’s the difference between discipline (being your child’s disciple) and punishment.
Certain New Testament passages tell us a list of characteristics that should be part of following Jesus, and none of em’ endorse the idea of Jesus followers striking another in discipline...why does that change when it comes to our own children...? How is striking a disobedient child forgiving and letting the peace of God rule your heart...? Is there any New Testament indication that there’s a fundamental difference in the relationship between parents and their own children, and that between parents and anyone else...?

Certain New Testament passages tell us a list of characteristics that should be part of following Jesus, and none of em’ endorse the idea of Jesus followers striking one another in discipline...why does that change when it comes to our own children...? How is striking a disobedient child forgiving and letting the peace of God rule your heart...? Is there any New Testament indication that there’s a fundamental difference in the relationship between parents and their own children, and that between parents and anyone else...?

I can honestly say I never spanked my kids. Never needed to. Their friends did not believe them.

Maybe I’m just “lucky”.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
Spare the rod ,,,,use the rod.

Proverbs
I can honestly say I never spanked my kids. Never needed to. Their friends did not believe them. Maybe I’m just “lucky”.
I believe ya’. It likely had more to do with you and the good job you did than anything else.
I can honestly say I never spanked my kids. Never needed to. Their friends did not believe them. Maybe I’m just “lucky”.
I believe ya’. It likely had more to do with you and the good job you did than anything else.

Thanks. I like to believe that, and that we were disciples for them.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
Is that the one where we're not supposed to bear witness against a proven liar and thief who used treachery and invoked the Lord's name to fleece members of His flock for his own evil, greedy gain? Help me out. My bible studies are pretty rusty...
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21

I believe Jesus is our example here. There were times mentioned in the Bible that he admonished the disciples in a harsh way.

Matthew 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

This was not a physical beating but it was done to get Peter back in line, so to speak. As adults if we break the law there are consequences, such as fines and prison. As a "civilized" nation we don't beat those people but they are and do need to be punished. I think we can all agree that in slacking up in this area we have created a terrible problem. So as far as punishing children with a paddling. I can look back in my own life and getting that done when I had done wrong and it even took place at school. It hurt my pride more than anything. I did learn to listen though and respect authority and the law. Now look at us today. Never spank a child doesn't seem to be working out so well. When these kids grow up they want to keep doing what they did as children. I truly believe a good swat does more good than time out. It's immediate and has an instant affect. God admonishes us in love and we should do the same with our kids.
Posted By: TF49 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Is that the one where we're not supposed to bear witness against a proven liar and thief who used treachery and invoked the Lord's name to fleece members of His flock for his own evil, greedy gain? Help me out. My bible studies are pretty rusty...

I am not familiar with the commandment not to ...”bear witness against a proven liar....”

Help me out here.....
Posted By: Muffin Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Exodus 20:12

“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”

I wasn't given THAT land!!!
So...there is no New Testament imperative where followers of Jesus are told to treat their own children differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person. Even those to whom they have authority over, and even to those who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished.

Yet a lotta Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they do other people...children or adults, Christians or not...even if they are in authority over these other people. And maybe not in a good way. Even though there is no New Testament imperative to do so.

Should Christians treat their own children as they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...? Or should Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...?
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/10/21
So...there is no New Testament imperative where followers of Jesus are told to treat their own children differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person. Even those to whom they have authority over, and even to those who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished.

Yet a lotta Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they do other people...children or adults, Christians or not...even if they are in authority over these other people. And maybe not in a good way. Even though there is no New Testament imperative to do so.

Should Christians treat their own children as they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...? Or should Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...?

So are you saying not to give your kids a spanking?
I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person whom they have authority over...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians choose to strike their own children who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished when they clearly wouldn’t think of striking any other Christian or non-Christian person who needs to be admonished or disciplined or punished...?
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/11/21
I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person whom they have authority over...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians choose to strike their own children who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished when they clearly wouldn’t think of striking any other Christian or non-Christian person who needs to be admonished or disciplined or punished...?

Okay. Not everything we should or should not do is told to us in the New Testament. It doesn't specifically tell you to not use heroine does it? There are plenty of scriptures you can read that would cause you to see that it's not the thing to do though. And not all of the Old Testament was done away with as far as a guide for living. Some we still apply today such as capital punishment for murder, though not so much anymore. Also we are not nearly as responsible for grown ups not under our own roof as we are our children or grandchildren. Did Jesus do away with to spare the rod it to ruin the child? Also there is a big difference between striking someone not of you own household as compared to swatting your kids butt. As adults we have laws, courts and a punishment system in place that takes care of that group. It's up to the parents to handle that in the home, as it should be. A spanking is a quick way to take care of that and move on with life, I think.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/11/21
The New Testament does tell us that a Christian leader should “manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and to do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone doesn’t know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of those in the congregation...?” If a Christian “manages his own family” by striking his own children, but he’s not allowed to strike other people who are in the congregation, then is the ‘witness’ of his well-behaved children false...? Why would the New Testament tell us to look to how a father treats his own children to see how he will lead the congregation if God intended Christian fathers to use a completely different system of discipline with their own children than they would with the rest of the congregation...?
The New Testament does tell us that a Christian leader should “manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and to do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone doesn’t know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of those in the congregation...?” If a Christian “manages his own family” by striking his own children, but he’s not allowed to strike other people who are in the congregation, then is the ‘witness’ of his well-behaved children false...? Why would the New Testament tell us to look to how a father treats his own children to see how he will lead the congregation if God intended Christian fathers to use a completely different system of discipline with their own children than they would with the rest of the congregation...?

Can't answer any of what you ask and better than I already have. You haven't managed to change my mind though.
Can't answer any of what you ask any better than I already have.
You haven’t answered any of what I’ve asked. But that’s OK; you’re not obligated to. You’ve voiced your opinion somewhat, and provided some commentary. I appreciate that.
You haven't managed to change my mind though.
That wasn’t my intention.
Can't answer any of what you ask any better than I already have.
You haven’t answered any of what I’ve asked. But that’s OK; you’re not obligated to. You’ve voiced your opinion somewhat, and provided some commentary. I appreciate that.
You haven't managed to change my mind though.
That wasn’t my intention.

I have a question for you though. What about the many verses in the Old Testamant that admonish the parents to punish their children and if they don't the end turns out worse for them? I curious how you look at those.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/11/21
Well, I'd say, what ever discipline is needed to "Do the Job" No more.
I have a question for you though. What about the many verses in the Old Testamant that admonish the parents to punish their children and if they don't the end turns out worse for them? I curious how you look at those.
What about the admonishment in the Old Testament that required God’s people to stone rebellious and stubborn children to death...?

The Mosaic Law was for God’s covenant people, Israel, living in a theocracy. Jesus’ New Covenant values and imperatives stand in sharp contrast to the values and imperatives of the Old Covenant. It was the New Covenant values and imperatives that influenced Western Civilization.

Paul said that the Mosaic Law was introduced as a temporary measure, one that is no longer efficacious now that Jesus has come.

Some nowadays do like to cherry-pick certain Old Covenant laws that support what they already believe though, while completely ignoring the other 600 or so Old Covenant laws. James (the brother of Jesus) made it crystal clear what he thought of those who did just that.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/12/21
What about the admonishment in the Old Testament that required God’s people to stone rebellious and stubborn children to death...?

The Mosaic Law was for God’s covenant people, Israel, living in a theocracy. Jesus’ New Covenant values and imperatives stand in sharp contrast to the values and imperatives of the Old Covenant. It was the New Covenant values and imperatives that influenced Western Civilization.

Paul said that the Mosaic Law was introduced as a temporary measure, one that is no longer efficacious now that Jesus has come.

Some nowadays do like to cherry-pick certain Old Covenant laws that support what they already believe though, while completely ignoring the other 600 or so Old Covenant laws. James (the brother of Jesus) made it crystal clear what he thought of those who did just that.

Quite a bit of the admonishment in regard to children is in Proverbs. It was written after the Mosaic law. Besides I'm not talking about killing your kid, just spanking them.

I may be reading you wrong on this but it seems like the Old Testament doesn't hold much value to you. Like it's obsolete.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/12/21
Well Jesus made it crystal clear how He felt about children. What do you think He’d prefer...? Do you think He’d come at em’ with a rod of discipline, or do you think He’d come at em’ in love and with a gentle spirit...? Seems a lotta Christians have created this weird mindset where they’ve put their own children under the “law” while all other Christian and non-Christian people of all ages are under grace. They’re very gracious and show other adults (and even the children of other parents) considerable grace...but when it comes to their own children...it’s the “law.”

Gentiles didn’t care, at all, about the Hebrew scriptures (what we call the Old Testament). It was a covenant that God made with Israel. It was NOT a covenant that God made with Gentiles. Apostle Paul, better than anyone else, understood the stark contrast between what had come before (the Old Covenant made with Israel) and the kingdom that Jesus came to introduce (the New Covenant made with ALL people). Apostle Paul knew the legalism, hypocrisy, self-righteousness, and exclusivity that characterized ancient Judaism would eventually seep into and erode the beauty, simplicity, and appeal of Jesus’ New Covenant. Paul realized, and taught, that Jesus’ followers were accountable to His New Covenant commands. NOT the 600 and something laws in the Old Covenant, NOT the Ten Commandments, NOT the Mosaic Law at all, in ANY way, shape, or form.

Jesus fulfilled — as in ended — the necessity of the Jewish law. He didn’t abolish the law by fulfilling it...He just made it obsolete by fulfilling it. I don’t equate the fulfilled-and-now-obsolete old covenant with Jesus’ New Covenant. God clearly separated the two.

The law was an unbearable yoke. James (the brother of Jesus) said they shouldn’t make it difficult for the Gentiles who were turning to God by expecting them to abide by the law. And Peter made it clear that the law was a yoke upon the necks of the Jews themselves that none of them or their forefathers had ever been able to bear. And then he (Peter) said that he believed that the Jewish followers of Jesus would be saved through the grace of Jesus, just as the Gentiles would. Grace, NOT law.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/12/21
Since the law is void, as you are saying. Then it must be okay for a guy to have sex with his fathers wife? That's part of the Mosaic law, it is forbidden. I agree that we live in a time of grace, since the Resurrection but I do not agree with not letting the excellent scriptures of the Old Testament show us how to live our lives. Diet, cleanliness, business affairs and even raising your children.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Fourth Commandent - 05/12/21
Since the law is void, as you are saying. Then it must be okay for a guy to have sex with his fathers wife?
You honestly need something that was written 4350 years ago to tell you whether or not having sex with your fathers wife is wrong...?
That's part of the Mosaic law, it is forbidden. I agree that we live in a time of grace, since the Resurrection, but I do not agree with not letting the excellent scriptures of the Old Testament show us how to live our lives. Diet, cleanliness, business affairs and even raising your children.
Paul pointed out that Gentiles ‘never’ had the law, but they still knew right from wrong because, by nature, they still had a conscience and they still had cognitive abilities. How do ‘you’ determine which of the Old Testament scriptures you’re gonna live by as you describe above...? How do ‘you’ cherry-pick which ones you’re gonna abide by and which ones you’re gonna ignore...? OK to sell your daughter into slavery as sanctioned in the OT...? OK to put to death people who work on the sabbath as sanctioned in the OT...? Does touching bacon or pork chops make you unclean as the OT says it does...? OK to stone to death those who plant different crops side by side, or for wearing garments made from two different threads, as sanctioned in the OT...?

It’s OK that our opinions differ on this matter
© 24hourcampfire