-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there anywhere in the New Testament that we, as parents, are told to treat our own children differently than we would any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

Any thoughts on Paul’s advice to treat our children with gentleness because it helps them stay responsive to instruction and correction...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by antlers
Is there anywhere in the New Testament that we, as parents, are told to treat our own children differently than we would any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

Any thoughts on Paul’s advice to treat our children with gentleness because it helps them stay responsive to instruction and correction...?

Good question friend.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been an orphan for 10 years now. Lost mom to pneumonia in 2003 on Thanksgiving. She was 74, and starting to slip into dementia. I guess it was God’s blessing that I didn’t have to watch her decline further.
Dad hung around to see 88 years. All in fairly good health and complete control of his faculties. He hunted and worked on vehicles up until a few months before the end. Killed a 7 point at 86!
Tomorrow will be exactly 10 years since he died.
I miss both of them, but I know we’ll all be reunited when I’m done here. In the meantime I think of them both with a smile, and a heart full of praise to God for the both of them, and the guidance and love they gave me.
I’ve always said that I’m one lucky SOB.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks good folks for the replies.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

That’s the difference between discipline (being your child’s disciple) and punishment.

Conversely, one can let the school whack their asses.

YMMV.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by ironbender
That’s the difference between discipline (being your child’s disciple) and punishment.
Certain New Testament passages tell us a list of characteristics that should be part of following Jesus, and none of em’ endorse the idea of Jesus followers striking another in discipline...why does that change when it comes to our own children...? How is striking a disobedient child forgiving and letting the peace of God rule your heart...? Is there any New Testament indication that there’s a fundamental difference in the relationship between parents and their own children, and that between parents and anyone else...?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Certain New Testament passages tell us a list of characteristics that should be part of following Jesus, and none of em’ endorse the idea of Jesus followers striking one another in discipline...why does that change when it comes to our own children...? How is striking a disobedient child forgiving and letting the peace of God rule your heart...? Is there any New Testament indication that there’s a fundamental difference in the relationship between parents and their own children, and that between parents and anyone else...?

I can honestly say I never spanked my kids. Never needed to. Their friends did not believe them.

Maybe I’m just “lucky”.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Spare the rod ,,,,use the rod.

Proverbs

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can honestly say I never spanked my kids. Never needed to. Their friends did not believe them. Maybe I’m just “lucky”.
I believe ya’. It likely had more to do with you and the good job you did than anything else.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I can honestly say I never spanked my kids. Never needed to. Their friends did not believe them. Maybe I’m just “lucky”.
I believe ya’. It likely had more to do with you and the good job you did than anything else.

Thanks. I like to believe that, and that we were disciples for them.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Is that the one where we're not supposed to bear witness against a proven liar and thief who used treachery and invoked the Lord's name to fleece members of His flock for his own evil, greedy gain? Help me out. My bible studies are pretty rusty...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I believe Jesus is our example here. There were times mentioned in the Bible that he admonished the disciples in a harsh way.

Matthew 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

This was not a physical beating but it was done to get Peter back in line, so to speak. As adults if we break the law there are consequences, such as fines and prison. As a "civilized" nation we don't beat those people but they are and do need to be punished. I think we can all agree that in slacking up in this area we have created a terrible problem. So as far as punishing children with a paddling. I can look back in my own life and getting that done when I had done wrong and it even took place at school. It hurt my pride more than anything. I did learn to listen though and respect authority and the law. Now look at us today. Never spank a child doesn't seem to be working out so well. When these kids grow up they want to keep doing what they did as children. I truly believe a good swat does more good than time out. It's immediate and has an instant affect. God admonishes us in love and we should do the same with our kids.

Last edited by Jim1611; 05/10/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Is that the one where we're not supposed to bear witness against a proven liar and thief who used treachery and invoked the Lord's name to fleece members of His flock for his own evil, greedy gain? Help me out. My bible studies are pretty rusty...

I am not familiar with the commandment not to ...”bear witness against a proven liar....”

Help me out here.....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Exodus 20:12

“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”

I wasn't given THAT land!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So...there is no New Testament imperative where followers of Jesus are told to treat their own children differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person. Even those to whom they have authority over, and even to those who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished.

Yet a lotta Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they do other people...children or adults, Christians or not...even if they are in authority over these other people. And maybe not in a good way. Even though there is no New Testament imperative to do so.

Should Christians treat their own children as they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...? Or should Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So...there is no New Testament imperative where followers of Jesus are told to treat their own children differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person. Even those to whom they have authority over, and even to those who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished.

Yet a lotta Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they do other people...children or adults, Christians or not...even if they are in authority over these other people. And maybe not in a good way. Even though there is no New Testament imperative to do so.

Should Christians treat their own children as they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...? Or should Christians treat their own children profoundly differently than they would treat any other Christian or non-Christian person they were in authority over...?

So are you saying not to give your kids a spanking?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person whom they have authority over...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians choose to strike their own children who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished when they clearly wouldn’t think of striking any other Christian or non-Christian person who needs to be admonished or disciplined or punished...?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians treat their own children differently than they treat any other Christian or non-Christian person whom they have authority over...?

I’m asking why...since there’s clearly no New Testament imperative to do so...why do some Christians choose to strike their own children who need to be admonished or disciplined or punished when they clearly wouldn’t think of striking any other Christian or non-Christian person who needs to be admonished or disciplined or punished...?

Okay. Not everything we should or should not do is told to us in the New Testament. It doesn't specifically tell you to not use heroine does it? There are plenty of scriptures you can read that would cause you to see that it's not the thing to do though. And not all of the Old Testament was done away with as far as a guide for living. Some we still apply today such as capital punishment for murder, though not so much anymore. Also we are not nearly as responsible for grown ups not under our own roof as we are our children or grandchildren. Did Jesus do away with to spare the rod it to ruin the child? Also there is a big difference between striking someone not of you own household as compared to swatting your kids butt. As adults we have laws, courts and a punishment system in place that takes care of that group. It's up to the parents to handle that in the home, as it should be. A spanking is a quick way to take care of that and move on with life, I think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The New Testament does tell us that a Christian leader should “manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and to do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone doesn’t know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of those in the congregation...?” If a Christian “manages his own family” by striking his own children, but he’s not allowed to strike other people who are in the congregation, then is the ‘witness’ of his well-behaved children false...? Why would the New Testament tell us to look to how a father treats his own children to see how he will lead the congregation if God intended Christian fathers to use a completely different system of discipline with their own children than they would with the rest of the congregation...?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The New Testament does tell us that a Christian leader should “manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and to do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone doesn’t know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of those in the congregation...?” If a Christian “manages his own family” by striking his own children, but he’s not allowed to strike other people who are in the congregation, then is the ‘witness’ of his well-behaved children false...? Why would the New Testament tell us to look to how a father treats his own children to see how he will lead the congregation if God intended Christian fathers to use a completely different system of discipline with their own children than they would with the rest of the congregation...?

Can't answer any of what you ask and better than I already have. You haven't managed to change my mind though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.