Home
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...ch-can-bars-restaurants-sell/5062807001/

Getting alcohol to go is no longer just a part of the pandemic phase in Texas. A new law signed by Gov. Greg Abbott permits restaurants and bars to sell beer, wine and mixed drinks for pickup and delivery orders.

The law goes into effect immediately, more than a year after Abbott signed the then-temporary waiver last March at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It turned out that Texas liked (alcohol to go) so much, the Texas Legislature wanted to make that permanent law in the state of Texas,” Abbott said Wednesday.

Here's how much alcohol businesses will be allowed to sell you:

Single-serve and 'tamper-proof' containers

House Bill 1024 states beverages can be delivered or picked up in a handful of ways:

Original container sealed by the manufacturer

A single-serving container sealed by the manufacturer that is not larger than 375 millimeters

A beverage put in a "tamper-proof container that is sealed by the permit holder and clearly labeled" as an alcoholic beverage

Delivery of those beverages can only made to those who are 21-years-old or older.
Must be for all the Baptists who don’t want to be seen going into a liquor store 😁
I though whiskey was how the west was won?
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
A single-serving container sealed by the manufacturer that is not larger than 375 millimeters

Now *that's* a tallboy.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Must be for all the Baptists who don’t want to be seen going into a liquor store 😁
I lived in Tyler when it was dry. Those people burnt the road up between Tyler and the liquor stores in Coffee City.
Getting a mixed drink at the "Drive Though" how rich is that?

LMAO

BTW, I used to spend summer weekends in a small town on the Ohio river that was a known party town. There, I could get a drink to go for a walk around when there was a street event, but the drive thru????? crazy
NO has had drive thru daiquiris for decades.
The strip in Lubbock, back when I was in high school and lived in Littlefield Tx for a while.
Strip in Lubbock was wild on Friday/Saturday nights. One could buy anything, including “exotic dancers” to go!
They ought to do SOMETHING to help the businesses they forced to shut down. mad

Azzholes.
We have had a drive thru daiquiri and ‘rita shop in town for 2-3 years. They are sealed when you get it. Line of cars around the block in the summer 😂

Most of our places never shut down and very few wore/still wear a mask.
If you open the "tamper-proof container" and drink the beverage, does that mean that it was not tamper-proof after all?
Originally Posted by saddlegun
If you open the "tamper-proof container" and drink the beverage, does that mean that it was not tamper-proof after all?

Can't open it til you get home... Having an open container in your vehicle in Texas will get you in trouble. wink
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I though whiskey was how the west was won?

Whiskey and whores, Woodrow. Whiskey and whores.
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Makes me wonder, are places like Impact TX still a going concern. Only place in the Abilene area for miles around to get booze back in the 70's. Well, maybe out the back of some bootleggers house if you knew one.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Makes me wonder, are places like Impact TX still a going concern. Only place in the Abilene area for miles around to get booze back in the 70's. Well, maybe out the back of some bootleggers house if you knew one.
Why do you think my buddy and I went to the strip in Lubbock, stock up, and drive back to Littlefield, which was dry, and double your money.
Congrats Ellis Winstanley!
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Why do you think my buddy and I went to the strip in Lubbock, stock up, and drive back to Littlefield, which was dry, and double your money.

I tell you Roger,

this world is a changin' .........................and it's the Debbils doin'. wink

Ain't like the good ol' days when the sheriff had to get his beer from the lady's back porch so's he didn't have to drive two towns over on a work night.

laugh
Better not dawdle serving that drink. Good way to get slapped with a pistol.
When I was driving through the area around Lafeyette LA years ago there were a lot of "Margeritavilles" around.
They were little drive through kiosks for mixed drinks the size of the old Photo Huts (if anyone remembers those).
I'm told that the "tamper proof" cups simply had a piece of tape over the straw hole in the lid.
Probably had pointy straws too..... heh heh
Jeez.

All over the State now?

I tell you Roger,

this world is a changin' .........................and it's the Debbils doin'. wink

Ain't like the good ol' days when the sheriff had to get his beer from the lady's back porch so's he didn't have to drive two towns over on a work night.

laugh
lol The first time I got locked up was there, got drunk on a bottle of JD and blacked out, sideswiped 3 cars on the main drag then hit a fence, in my grandmother's brand new Buick Lesabre. woke up in jail and this old black man asked me, first time? I said yeah and he said it won't be the last. Later that day the Sherif talked to me, said your name Roger Hunter, I said yes sir then he asked is your Dad Roger Hunter, yes sir. He lol and said I had your Dad in here when he wasn't much older than you for bootlegging, I was 17. That is how I learned about the only time my Dad ever got arrested.
But can’t buy booze on Sunday.
Jeez.

All over the State now?

I tell you Roger,

laugh
lol The first time I got locked up was there, got drunk on a bottle of JD and blacked out, sideswiped 3 cars on the main drag then hit a fence, in my grandmother's brand new Buick Lesabre. woke up in jail and this old black man asked me, first time? I said yeah and he said it won't be the last. Later that day the Sherif talked to me, said your name Roger Hunter, I said yes sir then he asked is your Dad Roger Hunter, yes sir. He lol and said I had your Dad in here when he wasn't much older than you for bootlegging, I was 17. That is how I learned about the only time my Dad ever got arrested.

Did you fix all the cars you fugked up?
Originally Posted by deflave
Jeez.

All over the State now?

I tell you Roger,

laugh

Insurance did, nothing serious even the Buick had little damage, got charged with property damage and negligent collision. 6 months probation, 250 dollar fine, only had to write the probation officer a letter every month.
Dad bootlegger and Roger on here talking bout 'shrooms and cactus!

Only in 'murica!
What an [bleep].
learned my lesson.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Better not dawdle serving that drink. Good way to get slapped with a pistol.

I love that scene.

It brings a new meaning to: "Walker - Texas Ranger." grin
When living in Abilene back in time watching folks go to Impact was a hoot.

There was a lot of traffic every day but the weekends was special.
Texas has had drive-thru beer & wine stores since the 70’s. Thus was enacted the No Open Container law.
Make mine a paloma
A little bit more free.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
NO has had drive thru daiquiris for decades.

Yep. That’s been legal here in TX for many years.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Went there to Abilene to visit a friend, 1975 or so. Drove all the way from SoCal, Meet him at the edge of town, drive to his house, say hi to his wife and ask, How about a pizza and beer for dinner? Reply was "No problem on the pizza but we're going to have to drive for the beer."

Being from SoCal where you could buy anything just about anywhere, 6AM-2AM I said "you're kidding me, a town this big is dry" He said, "there's 3 big Christian colleges here".

So out to Impact we go. What a hoot, a few trailer houses, I seem to recall a gas station maybe, and a package store for buying booze. And it was kinda busy.

WA and OR and PA were damn near as bad for awhile. No real booze except at State stores and so on.

You'd think it was marijuana or something.
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Abilene went “wet” in 1978. The “Sale of Alcohol” in Abilene only passed by 70 votes. In a town with a population of over 100K back then. The year I graduated from HS there. Impact has been a ghost town for YEARS now.
And the drinking age back in 1978 was still 18.
It changed to 21 3 years later. The year I turned 21.

But Impact wasn’t the only place you could buy beer back then. The little town of Buffalo Gap, 11 miles south of Abilene was the only place you could buy COLD beer. At a little joint called the BBQ Barn. It’s still there. Impact’s beer wasn’t cold. They didn’t have refrigerative beer coolers there. But they sold lots of styrofoam coolers and bags of ice. The Pinkie’s Liquor Stores in Impact made a FORTUNE back then. They were reportedly “Mob” owned.
Just getting back to old Texas

Went there to Abilene to visit a friend, 1975 or so. Drove all the way from SoCal, Meet him at the edge of town, drive to his house, say hi to his wife and ask, How about a pizza and beer for dinner? Reply was "No problem on the pizza but we're going to have to drive for the beer."

Being from SoCal where you could buy anything just about anywhere, 6AM-2AM I said "you're kidding me, a town this big is dry" He said, "there's 3 big Christian colleges here".

So out to Impact we go. What a hoot, a few trailer houses, I seem to recall a gas station maybe, and a package store for buying booze. And it was kinda busy.

WA and OR and PA were damn near as bad for awhile. No real booze except at State stores and so on.

You'd think it was marijuana or something.

Small world friend! 🤠
There’s ACU, HSU, and McMurray University in Abilene.
A Church of Christ School, and the biggest University there is ACU. HSU, is a Baptist University. McMurray, is a Methodist School. The Church of Christ and Baptist Schools and Church’s fought the sale of booze in Abilene with every resource they had. The Methodists, not so much.

One of Abilene’s claims to fame in the old days was that they “had a Church on EVERY street corner”.
Not really true, but there are a LOT of Churches there.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Abilene went “wet” in 1978. The “Sale of Alcohol” in Abilene only passed by 70 votes. In a town with a population of over 100K back then. The year I graduated from HS there. Impact has been a ghost town for YEARS now.

But Impact wasn’t the only place you could buy beer back then. The little town of Buffalo Gap, 11 miles south of Abilene was the only place you could buy COLD beer. At a little joint called the BBQ Barn. It’s still there. Impact’s beer wasn’t cold. They didn’t have refrigerative beer coolers there. But they sold lots of styrofoam coolers and bags of ice. The Pinkie’s Liquor Stores in Impact made a FORTUNE back then. They were reportedly “Mob” owned.

Never heard of the Mob being involved, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I looked into the history of Impact once, quite the story. Apparently pissed off the good leaders of Abilene some, as Impact figured out they could incorporate as a "town" or "city" and make their own rules outside of the big city and county laws.

Sad to here it's a ghost town now.

When did you live there ???
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Never heard of the Mob being involved, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I looked into the history of Impact once, quite the story. Apparently pissed off the good leaders of Abilene some, as Impact figured out they could incorporate as a "town" or "city" and make their own rules outside of the big city and county laws.

Sad to here it's a ghost town now.

Yep. It had quite the storied history. And really pissed off the Mayor and City Council. Which was ran by the Church of Christ. And still is.

I live about 60 miles north of Abilene at the Ranch now. Still go there for “shopping”. Since it’s the only town of any size for at least 100 miles. All the family I had there are now in the Cemetery. Still have a few friends there that haven’t moved away. And my favorite LGS. I get over there about once a week nowadays.
In early '06 I was in Del Rio; friends and I went to a drive-through liquor store, a warehouse, really. Some fine looking gals worked there, and you could order a drink while waiting for them to get your bottles, cases, whatever. Presumably you were supposed to finish it before exiting the building, but it didn't seem too many would strictly abide by that.
The good old days.... Imagine the dollar amount now???

Jeez.

All over the State now?

I tell you Roger,

laugh

Insurance did, nothing serious even the Buick had little damage, got charged with property damage and negligent collision. 6 months probation, 250 dollar fine, only had to write the probation officer a letter every month.
Originally Posted by DHN
In early '06 I was in Del Rio; friends and I went to a drive-through liquor store, a warehouse, really. Some fine looking gals worked there, and you could order a drink while waiting for them to get your bottles, cases, whatever. Presumably you were supposed to finish it before exiting the building, but it didn't seem too many would strictly abide by that.

We used to fish Lake Amistad in Del Rio a lot in the late 70’s and the 1980’s. We’d drive across the Border at night to buy beer and eat supper. Acuna was safe back in those days. You could pay a local Policia or Federale to Guard your truck for $5 bucks. Spent a lot of time in Ma Crosby’s Bar. You might of heard of it. George Straight made it famous in one of his songs. Great fishing and Great Times.

I wouldn’t cross the border down there nowadays with anything less than a Armored Division of Marines!!!🤠
The strip in Lubbock, back when I was in high school and lived in Littlefield Tx for a while.

The same folks that owned “The Strip” in Lubbock owned Impact in Abilene. Pinkies.
Originally Posted by ribka
The good old days.... Imagine the dollar amount now???

Jeez.

All over the State now?

I tell you Roger,

laugh

My Uncle was head of the Houston sector of the FBI then, the only reason I wasn't charged with DUI.
There’s still a combination Liquor & Guns Store down in the TX Hill Country. Bottle N Bag. Down in Uvalde. 🤠
have a drug store gun shop here.
have a drug store gun shop here.

There was one in Abilene when I was a kid, Roger.
Now they’ve just got fishing tackle and drugs. 😬
I remember when I could buy ammo and fishing stuff at HEB.
I remember when I could buy ammo and fishing stuff at HEB.

We had Furr’s Supermarkets in Abilene when I was growing up. One of my first “paying” jobs at 15 was working in their Gun Department. I remember we had new Colt At-15’s and Colt Pythons for sale for $400

The same folks that owned “The Strip” in Lubbock owned Impact in Abilene. Pinkies.

Friend of mine got hired as a bouncer at the Cotton Club back in the late '60's. The manager gave him a Smith snub nose and told him you're gonna need it.
There’s still a combination Liquor & Guns Store down in the TX Hill Country. Bottle N Bag. Down in Uvalde. 🤠

There used to be a place in north central Wisconsin called "Firearms & Firewater".
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

There used to be a place in north central Wisconsin called "Firearms & Firewater".

Was it located just outside a Rez ? 😜

That store sucked.

He never had schit.

That store sucked.

He never had schit.

We stopped on the way to the hog hunt and were advised they did not sell firearms.
Originally Posted by EdM

That store sucked.

He never had schit.

We stopped on the way to the hog hunt and were advised they did not sell firearms.

Probably lost their FFL. It’s been at least 5 years since I was in there.
© 24hourcampfire