Home
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I enjoy watching his episode's!
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
He’s a modern day gem. Nothing groundbreaking, but entertaining and he shoots as much as he talks, at least.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Very relaxing to watch him. No ego and he loves guns, all kinds.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Very enjoyable to watch
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Its unusual for him to miss.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
FUN! FUN!
Posted By: sidepass Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Quite accomplished shooter and entertaining tp boot.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Also interesting his Sunday shootouts. Not so much shooting probably due to Sunday but very nice talking. Must have been a lot of joy to attend his lessons when he was a teacher.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Not trying to take anything away from him but Lordy he burns more powder than the military does. He Should be able to shoot well. He gets enough practice.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by rainshot
Not trying to take anything away from him but Lordy he burns more powder than the military does. He Should be able to shoot well. He gets enough practice.

That’s kind of what I was thinking.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Life is good.
Posted By: deflave Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
The targets are five yards away.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

How'd I know you were going to chime in with exactly that comment?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I enjoy watching his videos. He gets a little long in the tooth with the narration sometimes, but his body of work is good.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I enjoy his channel, we like similar guns
Posted By: fester Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21

LOL

Yeah hitting that gong 5 yards away🙄.

Guy is impressive......
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I like watching him. Decent guy and a better than decent shot.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
You should be able to do that, fester........even with your limp-wrister 10 round magazines.

Originally Posted by fester

LOL

Guy is impressive......

Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
He is a nice guy in person too. I traded rifles with him awhile back. He had a Marlin Marauder 30-30 he traded for my straight stock Marlin 35 which shows up in couple of his videos. He is about 6'8" too.
Posted By: fester Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
You should be able to do that, fester........even with your limp-wrister 10 round magazines.

Originally Posted by fester

LOL

Guy is impressive......

Glad to see your back running your cack holster again!

Who said I have 10 round mags, f uck face?
Posted By: johnw Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Seems like a great guy. And he reviews some nice stuff. Shoots pretty good too.

But watching his videos are like going shopping for fishing equipment. It's about stuff I like doing, but it's NOT doing what I like.

I look at his channel and sometimes watch a part of a video. Til he gets to the table and starts talking. If he'd keep all his videos under 10 minutes he'd be better.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
He is a nice guy in person too. I traded rifles with him awhile back. He had a Marlin Marauder 30-30 he traded for my straight stock Marlin 35 which shows up in couple of his videos. He is about 6'8" too.

TnBigBore;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that your part of the world is getting the weather you're needing and that all who matter to you are well.

Thanks for the post and for confirming both the nature and size of the chap in the videos.

Sometimes I've found, like many things I've found it the hard way, folks who do video reviews might be more helpful if they'd start it with, "Oh by the way I can palm a basketball with these mitts!" laugh

Now for sure and certain at 5'6" I'm no giant, but usually buy medium or large gloves - yes "men's" gloves too for those of you inclined to be unkind to short folks. wink

I purchased a ZT folding knife one time based on the online review of such a chap and when it got here I was somewhat surprised at how big it really was.

Then too, I recall reading a rifle review by Brian Pierce where he was in the picture and it appeared to be carbine sized. When I asked our resident gun writer John Barsness just how tall Brian might be, he confirmed my suspicions that he's not a small man and then the photo made more sense.

Anyways, all that to say when I started watching Hickock45 and saw some of the pistols I've shot look very different in his hands, I suspected he was not a smallish fellow.

Thanks again and all the best to you all.

Dwayne
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I covet his range set up.

Had something similar in an earlier life and miss it.
Originally Posted by johnw

But watching his videos are like going shopping for fishing equipment. It's about stuff I like doing, but it's NOT doing what I like.

I look at his channel and sometimes watch a part of a video. Til he gets to the table and starts talking. If he'd keep all his videos under 10 minutes he'd be better.

I guess his fans disagree with you. Have you noticed his subscription numbers?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I wouldn't award the expert marksmanship badge for the shooting demo in that video clip.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Haven't watched all of his stuff, but from what I have seen he lives by the motto "If you can't say something nice about a gun, don't say anything at all." He seems never to have met a gun he didn't like. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Haven't watched all of his stuff, but from what I have seen he lives by the motto "If you can't say something nice about a gun, don't say anything at all." He seems never to have met a gun he didn't like. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not true. He says what he likes and what he doesn't like about every gun he reviews, and will not accept firearms from manufacturers for review so he will not feel beholden to them.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21

That was Jeff Quinn, RIP.

Hickok45's videos are entertaining, mostly because of his gentlemanly personality, and somewhat informative. I'm never all that enthralled by watching someone else shoot but at least he does give some history and various info about the firearms. The worst videos are just some guy shooting for 20 minutes without saying much of anything about the firearm, and the very worst ones are the amateurs with a new gun who post vids of themselves shooting their new toy and being very obvious about not knowing much about it or about firearms in general - or video production values.

In unrelated news - don't comment much on youtube and even then mostly to thank someone for making a good video but had to make a comment about a guy reviewing a motorcycle I was interested in. He never gave any info at all on the bike, he just stuck a Go-Pro on the handlebar and subjected the viewer to 10 minutes of driving down some highway while he kept saying how "awesome!" the bike was. "Oh man, this is awesome!" "This thing really corners f*ckin' awesome!" Please, at least video yourself crashing so we'd have something to laugh about.
Posted By: Caplock Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
By definition a Frontier Six Shooter is a 44-40....not a 45.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by Caplock

Who said it was a 45?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I'll say nothing at all..
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Caplock

Who said it was a 45?

Here's a full video where it is specifically stated at the 12:26 mark to be a 44-40. Before that he had said it was "44 caliber".

Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Not true. He says what he likes and what he doesn't like about every gun he reviews, and will not accept firearms from manufacturers for review so he will not feel beholden to them.

As for not accepting firearms from mfrs for review, that's certainly to his credit but still seems that he's very positive about every gun I've seen him review. Undoubtedly I have too small a sample size to have seen those which he didn't like.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21

Amen.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I.have to admit, about the only time I watch him is when TRH posts one of his reviews. He seems like a nice, easy-going guy who, unlike a lot of i’net personalities, doesn’t pretend to be something he’s not. Beyond that, I’ve no idea if he’s a good shot (of what kind???). I do admire the guy, he seems to be making a pretty good living pretty much just having fun.
Posted By: johnw Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21

Guessing that the large majority of his fans are occasional shooters. And there's really nothing wrong with that. I'm trending that way myself. It's Tuesday afternoon and I haven't fired a shot this calendar week, as of yet.
But I'm 63 years old and began shooting when I was 7. I get bored easily watching someone compare grip shapes and sizes in detail.

When I first found the videos by Paul Harrell, I though he had a lot of good content. He seems to have run out of stuff to say. But he's still talking...

Rather spend 10 minutes at the dirt pile shooting than an hour of watching stale videos, but that's just my take...

I still click on both Hickok and Harrell every couple of weeks to see if they've got anything compelling. 10 minutes or so between them generally catches me up sufficiently...
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21

LOL

not all of them
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21

Guessing that the large majority of his fans are occasional shooters. And there's really nothing wrong with that. I'm trending that way myself. It's Tuesday afternoon and I haven't fired a shot this calendar week, as of yet.
But I'm 63 years old and began shooting when I was 7. I get bored easily watching someone compare grip shapes and sizes in detail.

When I first found the videos by Paul Harrell, I though he had a lot of good content. He seems to have run out of stuff to say. But he's still talking...

Rather spend 10 minutes at the dirt pile shooting than an hour of watching stale videos, but that's just my take...

I still click on both Hickok and Harrell every couple of weeks to see if they've got anything compelling. 10 minutes or so between them generally catches me up sufficiently...

I would agree...but hen, most gun owners are casual shooters. People into it with the intensity of many (most?) here wouldn’t find too much in-depth content in what he does...just see a particular gun get fired and a brief, “Here’s what I like/don’t like about this gun.” There’s probably a lot more money to be made catering to the new/casual gun owner than to us.
Posted By: deflave Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

LOL

not all of them

The ones he was shooting appear to be between 5-10yds.
Posted By: PSE Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/18/21
I really like his videos. I just don't want to watch someone shoot - usually accompanied by loud music - I like hearing about the historical aspects and details of the firearm. In fact, I usually mute the shooting part.

Hickok 45 is a natural born teacher who dosen't come across as an opinionated know-it-all and has a good sense of humor. He often compares different guns of the same type and their historical significance which I really like.

Another good video is Forgotten Weapons which usually goes even more into the historical side of particular firearms of different countries.
Gun Jesus (Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons) is really good. I wonder if he knows all of those details by heart or does a lot of research just before producing a video. I'd suspect a good bit of each. Amazon Prime has a few movies that are compilations of his videos about a specific subject, such as machine guns of WWI, Japanese rifles of WWII or whatever.

In that same vein if someone is interested in various armored vehicles the "Inside the Chieftain's Hatch" series is pretty good. He does in depth videos covering various WWII and other tanks, first by doing a walk around the outside and then showing all of the details inside. They're about 15 to 30 minutes each and some are broken up into two or even three parts. I always like his "oh bugger, the tank's on fire" quick exit test.

Here's one on something you don't see a lot of.

Posted By: MOGC Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/19/21
Which one of those gun review guys was outted for charging $2500 for favorable reviews?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Hickok45 Can Shoot - 05/19/21
Bump stocks anyone?

Hiccup stand on bump stock

Only he can use them!

I see worn out liberal English teacher and draft dodger.
Originally Posted by GeoW

I see worn out liberal English teacher and draft dodger.

He's a libertarian, and has never voted for a Democrat. He exceeded the maximum height restriction for permissible entry into the military by a couple of inches. He admits that he was happy about this, since he had no desire to fight in the jungles of Vietnam, but that's not a draft dodger.

Also, stating that bump stocks aren't a hill one is willing to die on isn't the same as saying he favors their being outlawed. In fact, he's made clear that he favors eliminating the NFA completely.
© 24hourcampfire