Home
Not many here know that I lost my beautiful GSD " Rommel" last month to unknown causes. It is extremely hard to think about another dog, but after a month, harder to live without one. In the Tradition of IngwedogI and Ingwedog II I present to you Ingwedog III call sign " Lily" Full blood Border Collie, and since I am now fully retired she will get the benefit of learning literally everything I know how to teach a dog.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And she is on the left, with a littermate...

Congrats on the new little terrorist!

smile
Awww....who doesn't love a puppy.

I'm currently on a waiting list.
Luck dog - both of ya.
Beautiful ingwe !!! She'll keep you smiling and happy for a long time.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Awww....who doesn't love a puppy.

I'm currently on a waiting list.

JFC... don't tell me dogs are in short supply too. I guess there is a meat shortage.
👍👍
My Condolences on your loss
and Congrats on the new family addition
Lily=heart healer!

Congratulations on your new buddy

Mike
Beautiful girl. She's very fortunate to have you for a pal.

I understand the, "harder to be without" thing. My wife thought we needed to wait longer after having to say goodbye to our first, but I couldn't stand to be without a companion.
Damn...so Sorry to hear you lost Rommel...just twists my guts to think of it. We have gone a year without a loss but my shepherd husky mix is almost 15 and she is slowing down a lot.

Good luck with your new pup.
Nice Tom. Sorry to hear about Rommel. We are lovin' the hell out of our pup. She is dead asleep next to me here in a hotel in Blanding Utah after an eight car ride.
Sorry to hear the bad news.

When our half Jack Russel died, I didn't want another dog(hurt).

Wife and girls really wanted one, so...
Dillon Buck, the Boxer came along.
My handle tells the the story.

Congrats on the pup.

Wish we could see in person what happens, when your knowledge,
combined with the time to work, and what I'm guessing to be a desire to
push your abilities, produces.
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice Tom. Sorry to hear about Rommel. We are lovin' the hell out of our pup. She is dead asleep next to me here in a hotel in Blanding Utah after an eight car ride.

You really should enjoy your ACD.....once you've been around the smart herding breeds, its tough to consider anything else.
Tom, sorry about Rommel Sucks to loose a friend.
I'd love to have have a Border Collie but as they say a man has to know his limitations and one of mine is that I am simply not smart enough to train a BC. Too smart for me.

Congrats on the new pup. She is a looker
Border Collie..She’ll be training you up, Poobs

Laffin

🦫
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Sorry to hear the bad news.

When our half Jack Russel died, I didn't want another dog(hurt).

Wife and girls really wanted one, so...
Dillon Buck, the Boxer came along.
My handle tells the the story.

Congrats on the pup.

Wish we could see in person what happens, when your knowledge,
combined with the time to work, and what I'm guessing to be a desire to
push your abilities, produces.

Thanks for the kind words. When I lost my previous Border Collie 5 years ago I thought Id never get another dog, but Rommel was here filling the gap, and when I lost him I only lasted a month. My last Border Collie was Ingwedog II, and my " Demo" dog. As such she had 131 commands in her repertoire, along with a vocabulary of 350 words+. She was certified as a Service Dog on Level 1 and Level 2...there is no level 3. She was also certified in Narcotics detection and Apprehension.
I want to teach this new one all of that, plus some tracking and Evidence Recovery. Anything you can teach a Border Collie to occupy their time and mind is a big plus.
My condolences on the loss of the Desert Fox. There's nothing worse than losing a dog (and I just lost my dad last year, so I'm including that), but giving a new pup a great home and life is always the best way to honor a loss.
Sorry for your loss. Please keep us updated with Lily’s progress. She looks like a great dog.
You'll have to take her hunting in texas next trip, and then stop by on your way home for lunch and puppy playtime.....
Sorry about Rommel, he was a star in my book.

Have patience, the "yap-yap" will turn into snappy bark in time. grin
Sorry you lost your dog Rommel. Best way to go is get another one. My dogs seem to turn into extensions of me and losing one is like losing a part of myself. My only worry is not living long enough to outlast my newest dog, that crazy Catahoula Amber.
Damn Poobs I'm very sorry to hear about Rommel, He was a Good Boy we'll miss him around here.

When I lost my Beloved Charlotte I didn't think I would ever have another dog but I lasted 2 months, I no longer wanted to live with that hole in my heart.

Congrats on the new pup, she's a lucky gal.
Shoot for the stars, teach her how to read 🙂
Condolences and congratulations at the same time. Border Collies are wonderful animals. 👍
Good looking pup! and sorry for your loss.
You know that since you say your retired, would be the perfect opportunity to teach, learn, watch, observe & write a book about the whole experience! Be a great way to help pass your knowledge onto others👍
Too cute for words!
Sorry to hear about your boy Rommel Tom. We lost our dog Scout last month as well (brain tumor).

I am looking forward to meeting Miss Lily, I'm sure she'll carry on the Ingwedog legacy with great aplomb!

Chuck
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You'll have to take her hunting in texas next trip, and then stop by on your way home for lunch and puppy playtime.....

Don, I'm not so sure, my last Border Collie and that of my protege are both gun shy, despite my best efforts. Ingwedog I was have BC xAustralian Shepherd and she thought guns were great.

This one so far balks at loud noises...we shall see...
Originally Posted by elkjaeger
Sorry to hear about your boy Rommel Tom. We lost our dog Scout last month as well (brain tumor).

I am looking forward to meeting Miss Lily, I'm sure she'll carry on the Ingwedog legacy with great aplomb!

Chuck

Chuck Ive had her for not quite three days and she is coming out of her shell...she is ALL Border Collie!
Makes me want to rethink my reluctance to get another after losing my JRT. Keep us posted with the training pics!

g
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Shoot for the stars, teach her how to read 🙂

Yeah that's a good idea she could take over Biden's job and do it better I'm sure. Sorry to hear of your loss. Mb
Sorry for your loss, that is tough. Hopefully your new pup will fill that loss.
Sorry to hear about Rommel.
He had a Rock Star life for sure.

Your new pup will have one too.
My middle daughter has 2 Border Collies.
They are smart for sure.

Dogs are the Bomb!!!!
Dogs are family....
I bought my sister and her sons a blue heeler, turned out to be a great dog. They bred him to an Australian Shepherd, all the pups turned out great. One saved his owner when the lady got cornered in a barn by a beef-breed heifer which began butting her. The dog heard the commotion and jumped on the cow’s head biting it’s ears, causing it to run off.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I bought my sister and her sons a blue heeler, turned out to be a great dog. They bred him to an Australian Shepherd, all the pups turned out great. One saved his owner when the lady got cornered in a barn by a beef-breed heifer which began butting her. The dog heard the commotion and jumped on the cow’s head biting it’s ears, causing it to run off.

Ingwedog I saved my ass, and kept me from walking into a grizzly guarding a kill.
So sorry to hear about Rommel. Like losing a family member in my book.
Cute puppy. Hope she’s a good one. She’s a cutie!

It’s so hard to lose dogs. It makes my eyes water right in front of other people..

But that new little face should make you smile many times.
Great time of year to get a pup. You two have fun!
Congratulations, border collies are cool dogs . If you’re used to to training dogs, this ones going to blow your mind on how quick they learn. They are very sensitive dogs, so introducing them to new things can take some patience. The strangest things can scare them, my last border collie was scared to death if I hit rumble strips on the highway ( ok she probably had a right to be scared of my driving) . She will be training you before you know it.
Congratulations!
She sure is a beautiful dog
I know y’all will be best friends in no time!!!
Good looking student you got there.

Sorry for the loss of your old friend.
Thats gonna be one dangerous dog.
Great looking pup Poobs! Congrats!
Congratulations. "Oh, the places you will go!" Dr. Seuss
Best wishes.
Great looking pup Ingwe!
Always thought Rommel was a cool dog. Sorry for his passing.

This pup will ease that some, I’m sure, and turn into a good dog.

You seem to have a lot of “luck” with dogs! 😉
I have a weakness for border collies.

Congratulations.
Tom,

sorry to hear the loss of your wonderful shepard Rommel, when I met him, he sure was a cool dog...

its hard to lose a dog, but thank goodness you picked yourself up and picked up another good one.

I hope you and Lily have a long life together... in dog years of course...

wishing you and her all the best my friend.

cheers
Congratulations.
Looks like you are going to be quite busy. I have a new house wrecker here. Never would have thought of getting a french girl. But this Bitchin Frizzy is a real character and doesn't bark constantly as lots of small dogs I have seen. A constantly barking dog drives me crazier than I already was. I don't mind a play or protection bark with a reason. That is going to be THE companion. Be Well, RZ.
Knew you couldn't hold off, heard that in your voice the other day, Congrats on the new student and companion Sir. smile
To Rommel:

HAND SALUTE!

RIP
Good going! It will be GREAT for BOTH of you. grin
I myself have lost a few, Butch, Sam, Jack, Pecos and the latest, Augustus (Gus). I have not recovered enough to think about another partner just yet although I have at least started thinking about another pup.

Anyway, my way of honoring them has been to stand over their fresh grave at attention rendering a hand salute and playing the following "Hector the Hero". I hope it gives them comfort and speeds them on their journey, I know it gives me some comfort and closure.
Here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7W0vfCFQk

I have just done so for Rommel ---hope that is OK.

So sorry to hear of Rommel's passing.

New pup looks just perfect! smile

Like you, I can't imagine not having a good dog in my life. They enrich us more than words can say.
dog will be well trained! Nothing like a new puppy
Congratulations. We got our first Border Collie 6 months ago - we've never had a more affectionate dog. As smart as advertised, too, and very useful with the livestock.
Tom so sorry about Rommel, hope the new pup helps with the pain! Take care.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Congratulations, border collies are cool dogs . If you’re used to to training dogs, this ones going to blow your mind on how quick they learn. They are very sensitive dogs, so introducing them to new things can take some patience. The strangest things can scare them, my last border collie was scared to death if I hit rumble strips on the highway ( ok she probably had a right to be scared of my driving) . She will be training you before you know it.

Yep...quite familiar with Border Collies, they definitely AREN'T for the casual or pet trainer, and yes they are what we call "soft" dogs...no need to ever even raise your voice to one.We do things with them you wouldn't believe...like " Apprehension" aka bite work...

Here is a researcher from Cambridge Canine Behavioral Research " catching" Ingwedog II laugh

There is nothing like a new puppy to plug a hole in your heart.
It is good to have one around as we age, that way when your caught talking to yourself you can tell your wife your talking to the dog……it helps if it is the same room. 😁
Well done Tom.

Does she get on with Ingwe wife ?
Sorry to hear about losing your dog. That is rough. It seems to get only harder as I get older, if that’s possible. I have two younger JRTs, well, one is a mix from a rescue and the other is pure JRT.

Can you recommend material to read on training? I just want something more to do with them. They are both sharp, and love the interaction. Interested in having a better understanding of training techniques. More to avoid bad techniques I suppose.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep...quite familiar with Border Collies, they definitely AREN'T for the casual or pet trainer, and yes they are what we call "soft" dogs...no need to ever even raise your voice to one.We do things with them you wouldn't believe...like " Apprehension" aka bite work...

Here is a researcher from Cambridge Canine Behavioral Research " catching" Ingwedog II laugh

LOL ,I can't imagine training a Border Collie for bite work, maybe face licking work laugh . My current BC comes from a line of cow dogs in MT and has more bite than my previous one who was from a line of sheep dogs. My current BC is a champion face licker when it comes to humans, worthless as a guard dog except for keeping deer out of the yard..
Condolences on the loss of that dear four legged man Rommel.

And congratulations on the acquisition of the new little four legged Wonder Woman Lily. I'm sure she'll turn out to be just that. The Whippets at the Valsdad household wish you both well.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Well done Tom.

She LOVES Ingwewife!
I am very sorry about the loss of your dog. The new one will surely fill your heart with joy. Border's are ridiculously smart dogs, and I know you'll give it the outlet that it needs for its energy and intellect.
She’s beautiful Tom.

All dogs have their special quirks. It seems like something unusual will freak them out. With my last Lab, it was a push broom. She'd go apeschidt at at the sound and bite it hard enough to put teeth marks in it. My dachshund, Bratwurst, hated vacuum cleaners. That may be a bit my fault. When she was a pup I was using a shop vac. She cam bouncing over to play with it. I put the hose right up to her, and it somehow sucked her tight against it. Never did care for vacuums much after that. My present Lab, Shadow, hates grilling tongs. I click them together as I am going to the porch and she comes unglued.

Daily dogs bless me with smiles and laughter. Most dogs are better than most people.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Well done Tom.

She LOVES Ingwewife!

Good, that's always important !!
© 24hourcampfire