Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Congratulations, border collies are cool dogs . If you’re used to to training dogs, this ones going to blow your mind on how quick they learn. They are very sensitive dogs, so introducing them to new things can take some patience. The strangest things can scare them, my last border collie was scared to death if I hit rumble strips on the highway ( ok she probably had a right to be scared of my driving) . She will be training you before you know it.

Yep...quite familiar with Border Collies, they definitely AREN'T for the casual or pet trainer, and yes they are what we call "soft" dogs...no need to ever even raise your voice to one.We do things with them you wouldn't believe...like " Apprehension" aka bite work...

Here is a researcher from Cambridge Canine Behavioral Research " catching" Ingwedog II laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is nothing like a new puppy to plug a hole in your heart.
It is good to have one around as we age, that way when your caught talking to yourself you can tell your wife your talking to the dog……it helps if it is the same room. 😁

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done Tom.

Does she get on with Ingwe wife ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry to hear about losing your dog. That is rough. It seems to get only harder as I get older, if that’s possible. I have two younger JRTs, well, one is a mix from a rescue and the other is pure JRT.

Can you recommend material to read on training? I just want something more to do with them. They are both sharp, and love the interaction. Interested in having a better understanding of training techniques. More to avoid bad techniques I suppose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Congratulations, border collies are cool dogs . If you’re used to to training dogs, this ones going to blow your mind on how quick they learn. They are very sensitive dogs, so introducing them to new things can take some patience. The strangest things can scare them, my last border collie was scared to death if I hit rumble strips on the highway ( ok she probably had a right to be scared of my driving) . She will be training you before you know it.

Yep...quite familiar with Border Collies, they definitely AREN'T for the casual or pet trainer, and yes they are what we call "soft" dogs...no need to ever even raise your voice to one.We do things with them you wouldn't believe...like " Apprehension" aka bite work...

Here is a researcher from Cambridge Canine Behavioral Research " catching" Ingwedog II laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL ,I can't imagine training a Border Collie for bite work, maybe face licking work laugh . My current BC comes from a line of cow dogs in MT and has more bite than my previous one who was from a line of sheep dogs. My current BC is a champion face licker when it comes to humans, worthless as a guard dog except for keeping deer out of the yard..

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Condolences on the loss of that dear four legged man Rommel.

And congratulations on the acquisition of the new little four legged Wonder Woman Lily. I'm sure she'll turn out to be just that. The Whippets at the Valsdad household wish you both well.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Well done Tom.

She LOVES Ingwewife!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am very sorry about the loss of your dog. The new one will surely fill your heart with joy. Border's are ridiculously smart dogs, and I know you'll give it the outlet that it needs for its energy and intellect.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
She’s beautiful Tom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All dogs have their special quirks. It seems like something unusual will freak them out. With my last Lab, it was a push broom. She'd go apeschidt at at the sound and bite it hard enough to put teeth marks in it. My dachshund, Bratwurst, hated vacuum cleaners. That may be a bit my fault. When she was a pup I was using a shop vac. She cam bouncing over to play with it. I put the hose right up to her, and it somehow sucked her tight against it. Never did care for vacuums much after that. My present Lab, Shadow, hates grilling tongs. I click them together as I am going to the porch and she comes unglued.

Daily dogs bless me with smiles and laughter. Most dogs are better than most people.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Well done Tom.

She LOVES Ingwewife!

Good, that's always important !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.