Home
Damn. That sucks. Glad he is going to make a full recovery.
I hate snakes.
Is that Ted Cruz?
Mudderfugger....there are worse things than being bit by some dumbass snake.
Lot of once bit people commenting and several about the real bad pain.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
He's a story-teller.
Tikka has a snake ranch.

Conrad told me about it.
Well...it was just the one snake.

It was impressive though.
LOL
Haven't seen this much drama since my granddaughter's princess party.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Haven't seen this much drama since my granddaughter's princess party.

laugh
Fuggers leg hardly looked swollen.

Hope he didn't spill his iced tea or drop his 10 gallon hat. 😁
If he had to get bitten by a venomous snake, he can be thankful it was a copperhead!
Even a copperhead is no joke. I know a guy who was bitten in sort of almost the exact situation. He came home one night from being out to eat, let the dog out, and then got bit on the foot while he was messing around with the dog. No big deal except he got nerve damage in his foot and now almost has a drop foot. He walks with a cane a lot of times. It’s really a shame.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Is that Ted Cruz?

Yes.

Pit vipers aren't fun. And yet I've known people who kept them in the house as 'pets'.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Is that Ted Cruz?

Yes.

I friggin knew it.

Anyway....snake bit is no big deal.
This is why Jaguar choots Rattlers.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

TFF

jag only shoots cheap whiskey.
Mojave Green. Nasty little bastids...
I talked to a man who was bitten by an immature copperhead on a golf course and it killed him, the doctors jump-started him and brought him back from the dead. He said the doctors told him that immature copperheads can't regulate their venom in a bite, you get the full dose as opposed to mature copperheads being able to deliver a 'dry bite' or only some of their available venom.
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Very nasty. Wife of a man I knew was killed by one.
Originally Posted by g5m

They seem to be aggressive or really curious they come toward you. I kilt two one morning whilst out busting jacks. Not only do you have to look one ground, you have look in the brush they will crawl up into the brush.
Originally Posted by g5m

They seem to be aggressive or really curious they come toward you. I kilt two one morning whilst out busting jacks. Not only do you have to look one ground, you have look in the brush they will crawl up into the brush.

Very true. Rattlesnakes will crawl up in the sage brush here in s.w. Idaho and be at about thigh level when you pass by. The Mojave Green is a very dangerous and deadly snake. I've killed two of them in Calif. when I lived there. Nasty aggressive critters.

I have a long time friend who grew up in Arkansas. He was hit by a copperhead and almost lost his leg. Still has a limp from the wound of long ago.

I have a friend here in Boise who lost his Brittany spaniel while chukkar hunting to a rattlesnake. Hit the dog right in the throat. Before he could get back to a vet, the dog died.

L.W
Originally Posted by callnum

TFF

That comment was the "cheap" shot.
They aren't really a problem around here. We have a few timber rattlers around Lake Geode. Have witnessed a couple big ones. There are a couple caves they winter in.

Before I was married......helped out my future father-in-law at his business, after his back injury. Every random snake alongside the road, we had to stop and do a power stall. Felt kinda bad.

The big black snakes here are no problem. They're pretty passive, eating lots of mice (and maybe a few chicken eggs). You'll see them in the trees, breeding season, wrapped around each other.

We had a regular black in the chicken coop, years ago. Chickens didn't care. Wife put golf balls in a nest....enticing a hen that wanted to sit. Went down to feed the chickens and that black snake ate one of the golf balls. Disappeared after that, hope it survived.

Reaching into a bag of cracked corn with a black snake in it....will wake you up better than 3 cups of espresso. Assume they feed on the mice getting into the corn.

Snakes are OK......excluding African.

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I hate snakes.

Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by g5m

Very true. Rattlesnakes will crawl up in the sage brush here in s.w. Idaho and be at about thigh level when you pass by. The Mojave Green is a very dangerous and deadly snake. I've killed two of them in Calif. when I lived there. Nasty aggressive critters.

I have a long time friend who grew up in Arkansas. He was hit by a copperhead and almost lost his leg. Still has a limp from the wound of long ago.

I have a friend here in Boise who lost his Brittany spaniel while chukkar hunting to a rattlesnake. Hit the dog right in the throat. Before he could get back to a vet, the dog died.

L.W

I respect their ability to do serous harm.
That's why I used to catch them.
It's better that I put myself at risk, so that others may see them in a safe, controlled environment. Most people don't know what they look like. Around here, the common imature black rat snakes are killed by those who call them copper heads.
What they do is eliminate the prime predator of venomous snakes. They kill what keeps the numbers of rattlesnakes and Copperheads in check, guaranteeing them to flourish.

Catch them often in a minnow trap. They like aquatic environemts too. They end up drowning in those traps. Duh!

Run them over with the tractor quite a bit when I’m out mowing.

I’m always concerned about the dogs, they fight any snake.

I smooshed this one with the front-end loader. 👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fugging can snake. Most deadly...
Originally Posted by slumlord

Catch them often in a minnow trap. They like aquatic environemts too. They end up drowning in those traps. Duh!

Run them over with the tractor quite a bit when I’m out mowing.

I’m always concerned about the dogs, they fight any snake.

I smooshed this one with the front-end loader. 👍

You carry around a front-end loader? Why not just a gun? smile
Who's afraid of some little old snake.

That works well for Sidewinders also. Just kick them out of the way.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Tikka has a snake ranch.

Conrad told me about it.

not this Tikka...........

Get them there Gopher (Blow Snakes) around the house occasionally...

Bastards will climb a tree to get a nest of baby birds

That's when I ask them to leave
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I talked to a man who was bitten by an immature copperhead on a golf course and it killed him, the doctors jump-started him and brought him back from the dead. He said the doctors told him that immature copperheads can't regulate their venom in a bite, you get the full dose as opposed to mature copperheads being able to deliver a 'dry bite' or only some of their available venom.

Evidently you are mistaken because...you know....snake bit ain't no big deal.

fuggers, came damn close recently in my own back yard- smallis copperhead. I ran into snakes while hunting and out in the sticks but in my own yard where my grandkids play rattled me. no Pun intended.
The Mohave Green does have a quirky disposition and their venom is a combo, including a neurotoxin that is nasty, We have them in this area and I have come across more than a few - and my wife is a lovely person normally unaware of or unconcerned about some dangerous possibilities. So, I try to be doubly aware.

We have a snake or three operating here right now - for which I am thankful - for there have been no mice or pack rats in the traps. But, I have been unable to find a single snake on this place since warmer weather arrived - am strongly hoping we have the gopher or king versions doing the work.
I hate snakes.

Me too. Rattlesnakes don’t get a pass here. I kill every one I see. No copperheads at the Ranch. But I’ve killed plenty hunting else where.

Grandadad’s little sister was killed by a rattlesnake when she was only 5. He’d stop the tractor and kill em with a hoe or rock or whatever tool was handy. I prefer a 12 ga.
OK, several have hung their pic.

Western rancher had a funtime with me over my fear.... til he spent big bucks & hospital time over a little harmless snake. Ask him if he thought it funny now. Not al all, he said.

Gunzos famous shoot the truck iffin ya have too snake.

Originally Posted by gunzo

Western rancher had a funtime with me over my fear.... til he spent big bucks & hospital time over a little harmless snake. Ask him if he thought it funny now. Not al all, he said.

Nice weapon of choice! smile

Mine too!

Killed this 6 footer. You can see the 45 caliber hole in it's head.

Good looking grips there Barry!
Nice pistol and a good sized rattler!
Better have your coffee before you go sit down in the morning... grin

Originally Posted by gunzo

Good grip.
stxhunter,
Your pic above reminds me of the old Nocona Boots sales poster. That’s a cool pic.
Originally Posted by g5m

L.W

It's better that I put myself at risk, so that others may see them in a safe, controlled environment. Most people don't know what they look like. Around here, the common imature black rat snakes are killed by those who call them copper heads.
What they do is eliminate the prime predator of venomous snakes. They kill what keeps the numbers of rattlesnakes and Copperheads in check, guaranteeing them to flourish.

Around here people kill Arizona Kingsnakes, an extraordinarily useful and amiable snakes that kill rattlers for food. The snakes have rings so, of course, "they must be rattlesnakes". People could use some education about animals.
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by g5m

L.W

Around here people kill Arizona Kingsnakes, an extraordinarily useful and amiable snakes that kill rattlers for food. The snakes have rings so, of course, "they must be rattlesnakes". People could use some education about animals.

I've used everything from videos to Carnegie museum taxidermy to educate this little part of my world.
I've found that the live examples are much easier to stick in minds, identify and distinguish From the harmless varieties. People act on their fears. The only thing that drives that from them in my experience is education and safely exposing them to the critters that frighten them. It sounds like you are doing what you can too. You took the time and effort to learn an important fact that most don't care to know . 👍

Those Kings certainly live up to their name among reptiles. The best nature shows featured a big king snake wrapping, then swallowing a rattler head first.
Your CA banded are definitely the prettiest kings.

copperheads are normally pretty docile and usually dont cause major injury if bitten unless you have an allergic reaction. buzz worms and mocs will mess you up almost every time.
Almost always it is simply dumb to kill a king or gopher/bull snake, and especially if you have troublesome mice/rats/other rodents around your place. Sometime, ignorant folks are their own worst enemy.
Originally Posted by callnum

TFF

That comment was the "cheap" shot.

Its what cheapskates do. grin

I expect some of his inner city buds are guilty of playing the knockout game on old white women.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Better have your coffee before you go sit down in the morning... grin

Thats some weird schiett right there, Barry.

that particular t ype of snake will hunt you.
Originally Posted by g5m

i shot one in the neck one time, it didn't appreciate
started making funny sounds as it wiggled its way to m.
course three rounds of no4 shot changed his opinion.
© 24hourcampfire