I'm a Riprap man myself.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
My lefterover biscuits.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Dig the hole deeper.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My lefterover biscuits.

No one wants to hears about your bedroom habits.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
"Bride's biscuits."
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Crushed concrete .
Posted By: hanco Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
I have a crushed concrete driveway.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I'm a Riprap man myself.

Sure sure, for big stuff we get that, but this is about it's smaller progeny.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Use pea gravel for subsoil drainage to sump pumps at work.

A lot of times we will have to bust up the slab when Dumass teachers dump fish tank gravel down the drains. It packs in, no way to clear them, remove the pipe and replace.
You have your pea gravel, your small gravel, your mid-sized gravel, (some claim this is the best for walking on), your little bit bigger than mid-sized gravel, bigger gravel and we know how Americans love bigger everything, little bit bigger than bigger gravel, large gavel, and so on and so on.

And who is the enemy of gravel?

Clay. Yes, that's right, clay. Clay is the enemy of gravel. Universally hated, clay, and it's myriad derivatives. Hated by gravel aficionados everywhere.
Round or crushed? Don't start with me on round or crushed!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm a Riprap man myself.

Sure sure, for big stuff we get that, but this is about it's smaller progeny.

Go big or go home.
minus? Who said minus?

Can you say "packs well"? Packs up tighter'n Bob's bum!
Decomposed granite is the shizznit.
Originally Posted by las
crankcase oil

Fuggin Boomers.

Using Roundup isn't woke.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Separate your gravel from your Clay enemy,(soil), with Geo fabric,(filter fabric), which allows water to pass through and acts as a filter!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
3/4 minus, washed.

🦫

"the shizznit
The modern-day equivalent of "the bees knees". Absolutely the best."

Meh.

Summer concrete, winter beach sand.
Are asteroids the universes gravel?
Posted By: norm99 Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Roy did u end up nose down in the gravel coming home from the bar last night ,,we need some direction here.

norm

"the shizznit

Meh.

Protip, never explain cultural references.

*To be noted, a close relative of the American Cinder, the least effective, singularly worst "gravel" ever to grace the bed of a dumptruck.
Originally Posted by norm99
Roy did u end up nose down in the gravel coming home from the bar last night ,,we need some direction here.

norm

If I had, I would have wished for 6" of 1/4" pea gravel!

Way to go Norm, good question! Getting to where the rubber meets the (gravel) road! grin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21

Damn, I wish we could get that for a reasonable cost up here. Everything here it volcanic cinders and crushed basaltic type stuff.

I grew up with DG, makes a damn fine packed driveway, and easy to walk on barefoot.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Dig the hole deeper and wider.

"the shizznit

Meh.

Protip, never explain cultural references.

Wiki ^^^^^.

BTW, I think wiki leaks because they used the wrong gravel. Or it doesn't have any clay in it.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

I keep hearing that. I think aliens are playing it in my head.

Speaking of holes, how deep and wide would, you know, a good size hole be, if it was too small to start with and what would you recommend for making the small hole more bigger??
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
What ever comes out of my gravel pits.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
3/4 minus, washed.

🦫

Ummmm. Wait, what?

*To be noted, a close relative of the American Cinder, the least effective, singularly worst "gravel" ever to grace the bed of a dumptruck.

Said no Martian ever.

Said no Martian ever.

Mars? Mars has rocks! Let's try to stay on topic here.
minus? Who said minus?

3/4" minus hurts some to walk barefoot on.

I had 3/8" minus delivered to put over the top of the existing 3/4" and it's much easier to walk out to the freezer in the shop now. Except maybe in some of those spots where it's slipped between the 3/4".
Just to be clear- gravel does not occur in nature. It by definition requires handling, some sort of process-ees. It must be crushed, cleaned, sorted, sifted, or washed to be gravel, otherwise it's rocks.

Or cobble. Could be cobble I suppose.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
minus? Who said minus?

3/4" minus hurts some to walk barefoot on.

I had 3/8" minus delivered to put over the top of the existing 3/4" and it's much easier to walk out to the freezer in the shop now. Except maybe in some of those spots where it's slipped between the 3/4".

Solid points. Clean washed gravel in front of the garage. Never packs, needs fines added. Clean gravel no packy. Not like Bob's bum, it packy just fine.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
3/4 minus, washed.

🦫

This and rounded as opposed to sub angular to angular in shape. Washed means no fines but with no fines the rounded 3/4" will not settle and lock in places , they'll act like marbles. BUT IT WILL HAVE HIGHEST PERMEABILITY. If you want it to stay in place yet be permeable for quick drainage you need fine sand/ silt sized particle fines and sub angular shape it will compact better, stay that way better. No gravel surface course is immune to being tore up when it gets wet. Mb
Clearly we need some courses in our community colleges exploring the various types of aggregate and their proper uses. Americans are waaaaaay behind the curve.

Look at China, building land out of ocean. And then they got that wall, that big, beautiful wall. They understands rocks.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Yes, I use it liberally in my driveway and to handle drainage issues here and there. Crusher run for the driveway and the clean stuff for everything else. I've walked barefoot on gravel so often that it's like tip toeing through the tulips.

I keep hearing that. I think aliens are playing it in my head.

Speaking of holes, how deep and wide would, you know, a good size hole be, if it was too small to start with and what would you recommend for making the small hole[[[ more]]] bigger??

i would just go BIGGER my 200 Zaxis will do the job and that will make it bigger as long as U have the money
Just to be clear- gravel does not occur in nature. It by definition requires handling, some sort of process-ees. It must be crushed, cleaned, sorted, sifted, or washed to be gravel, otherwise it's rocks.

I must disagree with that, in nature there is a process that creates gravels , its called WATER , either fast flowing or in solid form crushing, rolling , grinding, creating huge or small deposits of well graded gravel , some called glacial moranes, or gravel beds or spawning beds for fish bearing streams,, need i go on in your education about man processed gravel products, because there are probably thousands of named products around the globe.

norm your teacher and mentor-----smile
Hey norm it wouldn't be the campfire if we didn't disagree! This is The Official Campfire Gravel Thread. We await your tutelage.
Posted By: poboy Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
What is the angle of repose on the pea gravel?
We now pause for a brief intermission in The Official Campfire Gravel Thread.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We now pause for a brief intermission in The Official Campfire Gravel Thread.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And i believe that that intermission is deflect me from more gravel based tutelage, but i do know that water or ice would flow freely over that specimen with no grinding or crushing.

I must disagree with that, in nature there is a process that creates gravels , its called WATER , either fast flowing or in solid form crushing, rolling , grinding, creating huge or small deposits of well graded gravel , some called glacial moranes, or gravel beds or spawning beds for fish bearing streams,, need i go on in your education about man processed gravel products, because there are probably thousands of named products around the globe.

Thank you Norm.

I was going to post similar, but after losing my title as the Smartest Man on the Campfire, I have no desire to share what little knowledge I have anymore.

PS, we call that angular stuff that's made from crushing rocks......................gravel.................but the proper term is.................

crushed rock. smirk
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Thank you Norm.

I was going to post similar, but after losing my title as the Smartest Man on the Campfire, I have no desire to share what little knowledge I have anymore.

PS, we call that angular stuff that's made from crushing rocks......................gravel.................but the proper term is.................

crushed rock. smirk

YES but with a thousand names from pathway screenings , hydro blend, to 8 " minus
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Maybe too much info detail here.

I DO love that decomposed granite for lots of things, but has become difficult to find out this way. A pain. There is a bunch of pea gravel just sitting mounded up at an abandoned digging/crushing place across the way - would like to find a way to get a couple of loads of that.

The only "rounded" rock i was able to find up in NM was nature washed - they call it river rock - managed to get some mixed size in 20 yard loads - proved to be excellent for driveways. Came straight from a road building job site - from the river bottom to the excavator bucket to the belly dump, to our place. Never could find it sized.

Not so sure about the efficacy of that filter cloth - at least out this way. PO did that a bit here - years later there is black cloth working it way up through the original gravel driveway.

Lately, have used crushed Coronado Brown (1 inch) for covering new areas here. So far, so good, but summer rains will be the test.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Maybe too much info detail here.

I DO love that decomposed granite for lots of things, but has become difficult to find out this way. A pain. There is a bunch of pea gravel just sitting mounded up at an abandoned digging/crushing place across the way - would like to find a way to get a couple of loads of that.

The only "rounded" rock i was able to find up in NM was nature washed - they call it river rock - managed to get some mixed size in 20 yard loads - proved to be excellent for driveways. Came straight from a road building job site - from the river bottom to the excavator bucket to the belly dump, to our place. Never could find it sized.

Not so sure about the efficacy of that filter cloth - at least out this way. PO did that a bit here - years later there is black cloth working it way up through the original gravel driveway.

[[Lately, have used crushed Coronado Brown (1 inch) for covering new areas here. So far, so good, but summer rains will be the test.
]]

thats what i mean about 1000 names, different rock , different color, as to decomposed granite, i just call it rotten rock and like it because its easy to dig out of the bank. Another is crushed shale ,nice to work with.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Did Roy throw up on himself and pass out? LMAO
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Did Roy throw up on himself and pass out? LMAO

STILL on or in intermission ,,chuckel
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
At what size does rock become gravel?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Only amateurs call it gravel
And only inbreds put a period after just one word LOL
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Are we talking gravel or crushed stone?
Can we talk about aggregate?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Sure we can - but really need to get the punctuation and terminology (rock/gravel/stone/cinders/crushed concrete, etc.) or else the aficionados here will have to concentrate on corrections.

I once grabbed and used some broken up road material - does that count for this thread - in the aggregate?

I once grabbed and used some broken up road material - does that count for this thread - in the aggregate?

Asphalt millings?
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
The plural of gravel is gravel.

i guess that depends on the glacier, or not , glacial moranes run from minute grain of sand[ flower size ] to large boulders pick your size 100 lbs 1000 lbs or larger, but most people think of gravel as somewhere under 12". Look up the definition of aggregate not as a crushed product but as nature produced.
Sure we can - but really need to get the punctuation and terminology (rock/gravel/stone/cinders/crushed concrete, etc.) or else the aficionados here will have to concentrate on corrections.

well asphalt and concrete and stocco, and some brick are products made from gravels and or aggregate,, so maybe call it solid gravel,, nature also makes what we call hardpan which is gravels and some other mineral soils compacted so hard they need to be drilled an blasted

at what size does a boat become a ship?
Depends whether it is in a bottle or not.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Gravel. - 06/12/21
Asphalt millings.
They (you know who we’re speaking of when I say they, right?)
are remaking the I-94 to US-127 intersection along with 20 plus miles of expressway and asphalt millings are cheap and easily available.
We used it for our driveway over the sand base after I scraped the topsoil off.
Works great.
But, it’s not gravel. Is that OK in this thread?

Asphalt millings?
I suppose that would be the more proper, sophisticated and accurate terminology - so, yes. But, the odd fellow slightly east of Sprimgerville that sold it for $2 per ton called it old road crap.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Asphalt millings.
They (you know who we’re speaking of when I say they, right?)
are remaking the I-94 to US-127 intersection along with 20 plus miles of expressway and asphalt millings are cheap and easily available.
We used it for our driveway over the sand base after I scraped the topsoil off.
Works great.
But, it’s not gravel. Is that OK in this thread?

Yup it's made from gravel , put it down 5-6" thick hit it with a 10 ton roller in the midday heat. it will pack up real hard
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by hanco

A lot of times we will have to bust up the slab when Dumass teachers dump fish tank gravel down the drains. It packs in, no way to clear them, remove the pipe and replace.

Them.. “I don’t dump anything down my sinks”

Me.. Snakes and purges load after load of blue and pink aquarium rock out of line
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Good ol' Madison county white limestone taken from the Early Chapel quarry. You can't get better limestone.

kwg
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Who needs gravel?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Me.. Snakes and purges load after load of blue and pink aquarium rock out of line

Had trouble at an office buildout in an older strip mall a month ago.
Toilets weren’t flushing properly. Dealt with it for a week, then saw a plumber going in the unit next door. They had same issue.
Turns out, “Kung fu palace” in the end unit thought it was vely goot idea to flush all the leftover rice down the toilet each night. Half the city sewer clogged by swollen rice.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

The singular is rock.

hth
Posted By: hanco Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Had trouble at an office buildout in an older strip mall a month ago.
Toilets weren’t flushing properly. Dealt with it for a week, then saw a plumber going in the unit next door. They had same issue.
Turns out, “Kung fu palace” in the end unit thought it was vely goot idea to flush all the leftover rice down the toilet each night. Half the city sewer clogged by swollen rice.

Seen that too, left over salad is bad too.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

The singular is rock.

hth

Or "pebble" - smile Depending on size.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Groveling over gravel.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21

-280 mesh (280 openings to the inch is clay sized particles
+280 mesh to -200 mesh is silt size particles
+200 mesh to -40 mesh is fine sand
+40 mesh to -#8 is med sand
+8 screen to -#4 screen is coarse sand
+#4 screen to 3" is gravel
+3" to -12" are cobbles
+ 12" are boulders
This is by the Unified Soils Classification System the professional Engineering firms use.

Natural gravel comes from colluvial deposits where gravity has carried rock that is decomposing on a mountain side, gravity and runoff transport it and it loses it's angularity from abrasion as it travels to where it stops in what is referred to as colluvial fan. Most of this rock is still angular to sub angular in shape. Colluvial rock that makes it to the creek or river becomes alluvial in nature, it is transported by moving water and depending on the energy of the water movement it can really be reduced in size and shape. The more movement the more abraision reducing it's angularity the farther it travels the more rounded it gets as the water movement slows,! the energy to carry heavier rock disappears and the heavier rock settles in place. By the time you get to fairly flat terrain the water velocity only has enough energy to carry silt to clay sized particles. Not all rock is crushed ,much is just sorted by size by screening and / or is recombined to give optimum structural performance. 36 years of working in the earth materials field, private and public sector, BS degree in Earth Science / Geology, and 25 years as a registered Professional Geologist with the WPGA. Any more questions on gravel ?.Mb
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Excellent summary.

We didn't get that fussy doing stream surveys for fish habitat. Silt, sand, gravel, cobble, and boulders was good enough for us.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Crushed limestone

Dust.
A
B

Modified?
2RC
Crush run (cheap stuff, packs kinda like 2RC)
Shot rock.

Probably missing some.
Hauled everything up to 4.

Anything bigger will destroy an aluminum bed.
One of the biggest road builders in the state has one of their biggest
quarries 1-2 crow flying miles from here.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
For as long as I can remember, have been a fan of colluvial. Cobbles in my noggin?
Posted By: las Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by las
crankcase oil

Fuggin Boomers.

Using Roundup isn't woke.

Puts them fuggin dandelions right to sleep on my pit-run "gravel" driveway. Weed-B-Gone on the lawn.

I gotta get some good gravel down leading to the garage, tho. Tooo much track on tires in now.
Posted By: las Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
Dig the hole deeper.

Yep. My brother says that if you dig a hole, then back fill it with the dirt you dug out and it doesn't completely fill the hole, you didn't dig it deep enough.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Gravel. - 06/13/21
I have 120 feet of clay depth on the farm..... There isn't enough gravel in the county to make a road. it'll disappear in a season. The solution. Take rock. What is defined as "cobbles" above. The pit here calls it "gnarly stuff". 8 to 24" . Put it down, spread it and run the excavator over it to push it into the wet clay. Top with medium cinders, couple of four inches until the boulders are all covered. Then dress with fine cinders. Driving on it will turn it into sand. Grade when slightly moist once or twice a year. Whatever you do, don't drive through the wet clay and then onto the road. It'll turn your road into a clay slip and slide.
© 24hourcampfire