Home
Posted By: gunzo What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
A buddy of mine said he'd just got back from Vietnam & thought he was in really good shape. Spending his last days in the Army in Texas.

Called some little guy a goat roper & got the chit beat out of him before he could blink.

Are there a lot of goat ropers in Texas?
Posted By: Heym06 Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Obviously a goat roper is a little tough [bleep]. Insult to a cowboy !
Posted By: gunzo Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Obviously.

That's what my bud said.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
It was explained to me by a Texan, while walking down the main drag leading into the Forth Worth Stockyards, that a goat roper is a person who buys cowboy boots and western wear from places like are on that main drag and wears it around, despite not ever having worked as a cowboy.

This Texan, like most of them, was of mixed ethnicity but I didn't count that much against him as he was pretty solid when it came to running a construction crew for me. Shame on his parents though.

One shop was crammed with boots that retailed for $3,000+ and their business looked to be brisk. Fleecing goat ropers seemed like a good angle.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Bobbrown...

Sorry, I thought you asked who’s a goat fûcker.

🦫
Posted By: jaguartx Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Derogatory term for a schiet kicker.

Guy who said that will not forget what a schiett kicker is.
Posted By: viking Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
All boy and no cow.
HAHAHA!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Yep.
City kids called cowboys and country music lovers schiett kickers for a while, referring to guys like Barry, Sam and Neal who worked cattle and as a necessity ended up kicking plenty of cow schiett with their cowboy boots in their work.

Cowboys didnt mind as over the years they naturally developed an attachment for the work, cows and ultimately, the smell of cow schiett.

However, the city folk werent satisfied with the ineffective term they used on guys wearing cowboy hats and boots and attending western music or country music dances, so, as dumbasses are inclined to do, wanted to up the anti so they started calling cowboys goat ropers.

The term never gained a lot of traction because it earned the would be snowflakes too much action.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Yep.

Or he'll get his schiett kicked again, right Neal? wink
Posted By: Old Coach Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
While I was stationed at Fort Hood in the early 1970s I saw a lot of bumper stickers that read
I would rather be a goat roper than a hippie doper.
Most were on pickup trucks.
Posted By: gunzo Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Dang, the story told to me happened about 1970, the term been around a while.

The story is funny to hear. My bud just laughs, but with a wild look in his eye. "that little MF went around me like a buzz saw, I couldn't get hold of him"
Posted By: slumlord Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Shît kickers are those black construction/biker boots that fatbitch lesbian antifa wear.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
In my day(70s-80s), goat ropers were rodeo people who weren't cowboys. Most of them skinny white dudes and pretty barrel racing chicks. Most lived a rough life.
The term was around for a good while as have been terms used for other minorities, but just wasnt used a lot in mixed company.
However, as with other minorities, the term was commonly used by schiettkickers and their friends, but not allowed use by others in a derogatory manner, as is still the case with some other minorities. shocked

Wouldnt it be nice to know what camel riders call themselves when in the company of other camel riders.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Shît kickers are those black construction/biker boots that fatbitch lesbian antifa wear.

Not west of the Mississippi River!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Context? Depends on what the goat will be used for.
Posted By: slumlord Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert

You don’t have antifa west of the Mississippi?

I know everyday is a blissful walter brennan day.

When I see goths or scabs in black boots, I say looka them shît kickers. Then again, I don’t hang around at the feed store, sitting on a barrel sharpening my barlow.
Posted By: pete53 Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
most city - its with a cowboy hat are goat - ropers .
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
All I ever heard the term schitt kickers used for was to reference our boots.

A goat rope has always been any kind of clusterfugg.

Around here they actually have a goat roping event along with "mutton bustin'" for the little tykes at our local rodeos.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
From this thread I learned that a goatroper is not a cowboy as I have believed for 60+ years, but is in actuality an insecure texan. Who knew?

mike r
Posted By: arkypete Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/12/21
It may be that what was actually said was he was a goat raper, implying that he was from the mid east.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Drugstore Cowboy.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
A “goat rope” is kinda like a fuster cluck….at least that’s how we’ve used it in aviation.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Yeah....a goat rope is a cluster fūck.

A goat roper is a dipschit. Women rope goats.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Thats why you dont call a schiett kicker one, or guys like you.
Posted By: pete53 Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
we got ankle bitters up here in Minnesota those are the little guys who think they are tuff , little man wanna-be`s
Posted By: mark shubert Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Goat roping is generally a women's event in rodeos - I have long been convinced that women can be better ropers than men.
Those goats are duckin'/dodgin' little bastids! smile smile smile
BTW, I've worn cowboy boots my entire life - first remember them called "sheitkickers" as a supposed derogatory term in the middle to late '60's.
The term was quickly embraced by everyone I ran with.
Posted By: GeoW Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
A Texan whom ropes goats as far as I can tell..
Posted By: ltppowell Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21

Originally Posted by navlav8r
A “goat rope” is kinda like a fuster cluck….at least that’s how we’ve used it in aviation.

In Oilfield also.

Goat roper is the [bleep]#p in charge of the goat rope.....

Followed by..

“You’ll have that on those big jobs” 🤣😂🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It used to be for little girls , imagine 10 little girls and 10 goats ( or sheep) being let loose in a rodeo arena. The 10 little kids all have ropes and winner is the first one to rope a goat and cross the finish line with the goat.

Pretty much a cluster fugg of goats and kids going every which way.

Then there is mutton busting, few things make me laugh harder.
Posted By: okie Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Growing up in central Okie oil patch country there was a goat rope arena up the road a mile folks that kept it going used the goats for the kids to learn on . The girls mostly barrel raced or bent poles. It was a poor boys roping before Corriente cattle came to that part of the world in any numbers. We always had cattle but only roped them as needed.

One Halloween a few of us decided to go catch one of those goats and take it to town to turn loose in the bar. Only one we could catch was a truly full grown "billy" that almost had a full curl of horn he just followed us around while we tried to catch a smaller one so we dragged him to the pickup and sat on him. By the time we dragged him to the front door I guess he had his belly full of being handled rough some guy opened the door from the inside just as we got there and he said"WTF" stepped back and we were so surprised we let go of old Bill but he walked into the bar just like he owned the place. We took off but two of us were inside to watch the fun the lady that was running the bar (which no one really liked) came around and grabbed ole Bill by the horns but he had enough of that and laid her out then stuck his head through the juke box and made everyone in there hunt high ground....Good times...
Originally Posted by mark shubert

You don’t have antifa west of the Mississippi?

I know everyday is a blissful walter brennan day.

When I see goths or scabs in black boots, I say looka them shît kickers. Then again, I don’t hang around at the feed store, sitting on a barrel sharpening my barlow.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Around here they actually have a goat roping event along with "mutton bustin'" for the little tykes at our local rodeos.

This.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Also known as a Nickle-Dick.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by okie
Growing up in central Okie oil patch country there was a goat rope arena up the road a mile folks that kept it going used the goats for the kids to learn on . The girls mostly barrel raced or bent poles. It was a poor boys roping before Corriente cattle came to that part of the world in any numbers. We always had cattle but only roped them as needed.

One Halloween a few of us decided to go catch one of those goats and take it to town to turn loose in the bar. Only one we could catch was a truly full grown "billy" that almost had a full curl of horn he just followed us around while we tried to catch a smaller one so we dragged him to the pickup and sat on him. By the time we dragged him to the front door I guess he had his belly full of being handled rough some guy opened the door from the inside just as we got there and he said"WTF" stepped back and we were so surprised we let go of old Bill but he walked into the bar just like he owned the place. We took off but two of us were inside to watch the fun the lady that was running the bar (which no one really liked) came around and grabbed ole Bill by the horns but he had enough of that and laid her out then stuck his head through the juke box and made everyone in there hunt high ground....Good times...
You live a really rural existence when you can go word-for-word on this story and visualize every detail in your head especially seeing people from your own childhood in the main roles.

Wow.
Posted By: las Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
As I recall,"cow boy" started out as a derogatory term.

So did "Yankee", from the British derogatory song "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Which was promptly adopted by said Yankers.

I'm sure you wankers (AKA "deplorables") can figure those three words out. smile
Posted By: poboy Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Them goats ain't gonna rope themselves.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
They don't use regular dip . A goat roper prefers Skoal Bandits .
Posted By: reivertom Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Around here in KY, it's white trash.
Posted By: okie Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by okie

You live a really rural existence when you can go word-for-word on this story and visualize every detail in your head especially seeing people from your own childhood in the main roles.

Wow.

Good clean fun sorta I can still smell that goat....
Posted By: hanco Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
A poser cowboy
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
it wasn't a goat in my case, it was a yearling steer. through the swinging door of the palace bar on whiskey row in prescott,az.
it made quite an impression.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
A goat roper wears " Miss Me Jeans " and drinks store bought moonshine . laugh
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
I'll be roping a around 60-70 goats next weekend...maybe the weekend after, depends on how much time I've got. Maybe not that many, some we won't have to rope. Worming, trimming hooves, loading on trailer, and rotating to new pasture. I guess I'm a goat roper.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
No experience with goats but I 'rope' a bunch of calves on foot.

Little calves anywhere from a day to a month or two old.

The 'roping' consists of a sorta custom side arm one swing houlihan. I use a heavy medium stiff rope, I forget the exact lay or whatever they call it. Stiff enough that I can flip it 5-20' without creating a ruckus and getting calves run over.

Snagged about 250 of the little buggers this past spring, lots of close easy catches. Nothing fancy.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
One of the latest victims, semi sick older calve that needed a bolus. Those are the toughest to rope because they are smart.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
SamO, the new Will Rogers!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
A classmate was calling this guy, and that, "The Prong".

I asked who the Prong was?

He said, anybody but me.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: What's a goat roper? - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

+1
Great uncle of mine released 3 sheep into the school house. Painted numbers 1, 4 and 5 of them. Teachers went crazy looking for the last two sheep.
© 24hourcampfire