Home
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/un...od-sends-some-hospitals-into-crisis-mode

If possible please go often.

Mike
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
They haven't met my price yet.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
"gun violence" cited as a major contributing factor. When they stop talking bullshit maybe I'll listen.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I donate when i can, the problem here is that there are no donation centers unless and until the blood bank sends the bus down from Anchorage.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
How can there be a shortage when the price they pay is zero? That’s like saying there is a shortage of free gas. I would imagine the average hospital stay that requires a transfusion is in the tens of thousands. Pay $50 for a pint of blood and the shortage would disappear.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Im type O negative and need to keep my blood .
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by K1500
How can there be a shortage when the price they pay is zero? That’s like saying there is a shortage of free gas. I would imagine the average hospital stay that requires a transfusion is in the tens of thousands. Pay $50 for a pint of blood and the shortage would disappear.

Blood banks can’t pay for blood as it would theoretically entice people to lie on the pre donation screening questions, which includes a lot of high risk activity/travel.

Although they do give away items.. movie tickets, ice cream vouchers, etc….
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Really, and what efforts are being pursued to ensure those who don't want the jab by proxy don't cop it.

And don't bother telling me your version of the "science" Idaho shooter.

(just getting in before him)
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by robertham1

Blood banks can’t pay for blood as it would theoretically entice people to lie on the pre donation screening questions, which includes a lot of high risk activity/travel.

Use to get anywhere from $10-$20 a pint, back in the early '70's, at the health center.

Wont take my blood anymore.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
A false positive Hepitious C took me off the Red Cross list.
I was over five gallons at that time.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
i sugesst ammo for blood .
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I quit donating at 21 gallons. Veins were getting pretty scarred and it got tougher and tougher to recuperate. I'm O- and as such was in critical demand. The Red Cross would call me the morning of the first day I was eligible to give again and ask what time that day I could be there.

I feel a bit guilty about no longer being a donor, but I feel I did more than my share.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I quit donating at 21 gallons. Veins were getting pretty scarred and it got tougher and tougher to recuperate. I'm O- and as such was in critical demand. The Red Cross would call me the morning of the first day I was eligible to give again and ask what time that day I could be there.

I feel a bit guilty about no longer being a donor, but I feel I did more than my share.

did you try the cock vein rock? probably get a bucket out of there.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by persiandog
i sugesst ammo for blood .

Great idea. 1 box of 257 Roberts for one pint seems fair.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by robertham1

Use to get anywhere from $10-$20 a pint, back in the early '70's, at the health center.

Wont take my blood anymore.

Yes it was common practice, then AIDS happened.

Creutzfeldt-Jakob and mad cow too
I'm at 58 units, 7.25 gallons, often do double reds, O+ so they certainly let me know when eligible.

Critical need is critical need it's not about the stupid article writer it's about people in a hospital that need blood.
Posted By: JonS Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I feel like it’s us old guys (40 and over) donating blood, need to get the young crowd giving as well.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I used to donate until some idiot nurse jammed me three times and finally found a vein. She had to be blind, I’m pretty vascular, my vein stand way out in my arms. I was really sore and bruised.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I used to donate until some idiot nurse jammed me three times and finally found a vein. She had to be blind, I’m pretty vascular, my vein stand way out in my arms. I was really sore and bruised.

Ah C'mon Man!! You've probably had a bad day at work before too!

Get back in the game. if she was that bad she is likely long gone!

Red Cross has been all 1st time Go's for me.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I quit when my nephew crashed my 4 wheeler and they charged him $3800/ unit of blood
If I'm not paid, the blood should be free to those who get it.
I sure hope others Nephews survive their crashes with saline and blood expanders!
Posted By: hanco Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I took Avadart for a few years, don’t think they will let me donate.
The cost of blood is incredible as the testing is extremely expensive.

RBC’s, platelets, and other components are regulated by the FDA among other agencies. The documentation is extensive and rightfully so.

I’m pretty sure anyone whos in the position to receive blood based components would appreciate the extent of the regulations that go into safely collecting, transporting, and the testing of the products.

They charge what’s they charge mostly because they have to. You won’t find a blood bank CEO rolling in the cash. The one I can personally vouch for was in the negative constantly, but because it was tied to a university/medical school, their believe was that although it wasn’t profitable, if that’s what it took in order to ensure the best blood products were available- that’s a cost they were willing to endure. (Also heavy on the research)
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
They won't let me give any blood because i don't have any to spare.

If i could just get this body to make some faster one day maybe. wink
https://www.redcrossblood.org/conte...uments/3468_Medication-Deferral-List.pdf

within last 6 months for Avodart
Posted By: badger Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I donate therapeutically every 5 weeks to keep my iron level under control. One of the “benefits” of hemochromatosis I guess……….
Originally Posted by badger
I donate therapeutically every 5 weeks to keep my iron level under control. One of the “benefits” of hemochromatosis I guess……….

I've heard people say get the lead out!! But Iron works... laugh I knew from when I had FB you were a regular and I commend you for it..
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I am an O person myself, and even though I was traumatized with Blood draws as a child I'd give today if I could select who could or couldn't receive it. I'm not giving Blood to the Enemies of America, which is where a lot of the blood seems to be diverted to.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
I donate as often as I can. Being O negative negative makes me a marked man. I figure it’s my civic duty. Wish more people would do it. Dave
I believe in donating blood but I'm really sick and tired of what a rip off the American medical system is. Costs are highly exaggerated and inflated to the point of being otherworldly. Medicine in other nations is a fraction of the cost here. The quality of care constantly goes down and we keep paying more.

It's interesting to me that doctors from America can charter a large boat or plane and travel to Dark Africa to surgically help kids with cleft pallets and facial disorders. The supplies, image equipment, and procedures are cheap yet in America any stitch or common xray is priced entirely too high. I don't see why.
Posted By: Dess Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A false positive Hepitious C took me off the Red Cross list.
I was over five gallons at that time.

This happened to my wife. The blood bank employee accused her of sleeping around. She responded with some choice words NOT learned in Sunday School.
Posted By: Szumi Re: Blood donors needed - 06/19/21
AB+, not sure they want it too bad. Only gave once, they didn't want it when I was in boot camp. Ex-wife had a tubal pregnancy before we were married. She got a transfusion, she got hep c that showed up years after we were divorced. Glad she made it. $3800 still seems like a rip off, I bet it doesn't cost near that to test and process.
© 24hourcampfire