Home
The county just issued standby evac orders for a chunk of AZ near Flagstaff. Relative lives in that area.

https://www.coconino.az.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2442

You folks in that part of AZ, I hope you make it through what appears to be a terrific fire season to be. We're on alert here too. Clouds forming around these parts today, I hope there's no dry strikes as there's no moisture to speak of.
Son Jake just got back from a ditch fire.
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...283-84e99285-e3ee-4f84-a31a-cebd9d13e867
One started a bit east of Redding yesterday. Evac orders for the little burg there.

Is that area near you in the drought area, or just "below normal".

Let's hope it doesn't get as bad as some recent years. But, I think I'll air up the tires in the cargo trailer and swap the truck to the spot in front of it with the ball under the hitch. All the important stuff can fit easily in there.
Went outside to water some trees and was sweating hard within minutes. Came in and the thermometer says 109.5 in the shade here today. That's harsh.
Geno, check your PM box.
It’s going to be awful this year. No water anywhere. Springs that nobody can remember ever being dry are dry, and the rest are a fraction of normal. It’s going to burn, and burn, and burn. Anyone with hunting plans in the west should make contingency plans.
It hasn't rained here in months, I figure its a matter of time before a big azz fire breaks out here.
Yep Geno, It's going to be a bad one this year I think!!!!!
We have fires in Colorado already.
It's cooled off quite a bit here, that helps with the dry weather.
I was going to go camping with my AZ family to an area near White Horse lake. They told me yesterday the whole Kaibab NF is closing on 6-23 until 9-1 or fire conditions improve.
Our family homestead survived the Wallow fire in 2011 but just barely, me and 2 of my brothers at the 3 different homes kept spot fires out that were starting from falling embers out of the sky. My whole pasture burned and it came right up to the house but luckily stayed out of the tree tops. When South mountain burned just west of our homes you couldnt see it because of the heavy smoke but it sounded like a jet taking off - scary. As that mountain burned we were loading up horses, dogs, sister in laws, wives and my mom and rushing to get them out of town. My brother lost one horse but it wasnt due to the flames but due to old age and loading her up and hauling her 100 miles away, she just couldnt take it. The first day we got a wave from the west and the next day it came from the south.

We're on red alert again now but I'm hoping that the old fire scar will help slow things a little. There are 4 fires just 10 miles SW of us totaling about 3500 acres right now...too close for comfort. Hard to sleep at night and when I wake up I look out in all directions and hope I dont see that ominus red glow. I've got hoses attached to all hose bibs around the house with nozzles on them and have a few things packed up and ready to go just in case.
Originally Posted by smarquez
I was going to go camping with my AZ family to an area near White Horse lake. They told me yesterday the whole Kaibab NF is closing on 6-23 until 9-1 or fire conditions improve.

Didn't know the date, but did here the Forest was closing. Going to be difficult/impossible for scouting/hunting for those that drew tags.
Originally Posted by AZmark
Our family homestead survived the Wallow fire in 2011 but just barely, me and 2 of my brothers at the 3 different homes kept spot fires out that were starting from falling embers out of the sky. My whole pasture burned and it came right up to the house but luckily stayed out of the tree tops. When South mountain burned just west of our homes you couldnt see it because of the heavy smoke but it sounded like a jet taking off - scary. As that mountain burned we were loading up horses, dogs, sister in laws, wives and my mom and rushing to get them out of town. My brother lost one horse but it wasnt due to the flames but due to old age and loading her up and hauling her 100 miles away, she just couldnt take it. The first day we got a wave from the west and the next day it came from the south.

We're on red alert again now but I'm hoping that the old fire scar will help slow things a little. There are 4 fires just 10 miles SW of us totaling about 3500 acres right now...too close for comfort. Hard to sleep at night and when I wake up I look out in all directions and hope I dont see that ominus red glow. I've got hoses attached to all hose bibs around the house with nozzles on them and have a few things packed up and ready to go just in case.

Good luck, I was in the area for Rodeo/Chedeski. I know the feelings.

And of course, there's living here too.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Went outside to water some trees and was sweating hard within minutes. Came in and the thermometer says 109.5 in the shade here today. That's harsh.

The past couple days have been hot. The forecast starting Friday and going into the weekend looks worse yet. It's time to be serious and diligent 'bout irrigating to keep everything wet enough that the ladder fuels won't light and fire won't run through the grass, it has to smolder along slow if it starts at all. I'm pretty safe here unless the power goes out. The electric irrigation pump is the key to everything for us keeping field and lawns wet and fighting fire.

Fires across Utah started way early here...9 going right now

Now some still want to still sell & buy fireworks ? WTH ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...n-across-utah/ar-AALhSYR?ocid=uxbndlbing
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Pretty special, eh?
Worried about tags when the entire habitat is about to go, for the rest of your life? Priorities, please.

This drought is clearly terrible, but it's going to be worse in places where there's more than one year's worth of dead or dessiccated fuel.

This is what happens when idiot Greens (including their Fudd helpers like BHA) control land policy through litigation for three decades, letting the fuels build, and build, and build. Now it's popcorn phart parched, exceptional drought and one spark will take it all away. Then of course, the Greens will fight over the ashes.
Heard that USFS is closing the Apache Sitgreaves forest on Thursday.................Thank God for that, dont need any idiots that insist of having campfires near me.
My son is a wildlands firefighter and they have already been called on 2 fires this year which is very uncommon except for this year. Them guys are gonna earn their money this year.
I believe the news said that we have 20 some fires going in Az. right now. Dry as a popcorn fart
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Pretty special, eh?

special as in......we have more idiot campers or lightning strikes starting wildfires ?

As in Arizona...or elsewhere...it's serious schidt....
Rafael fire took off this afternoon, ash falling in flagstaff, lots of burned and treated acres/miles between here and the rim, we will see what happens tonight

https://www.12news.com/video/news/l...-270a-4efc-98e1-ba598b8eda36?jwsource=cl
My son is on a helicopter crew this year.
He'll be in a Blackhawk all season.
There's been several wildfires already.
I wish I could send yall some water, I have dumped my rain guage the last 4 days at 6 pm and it has been full at 5 in. I have had enough rain.
I'd pay for some!
the Rafael fire crossed over into AZGFD unit 6B last night, burning the western edge above Sycamore Canyon.

And burning below the rim, sort of in the general direction of Sedona.

Some cloud cover and higher humidities today, but hotter and drier on fri/sat/sun
The county just issued standby evac orders for a chunk of AZ near Flagstaff. Relative lives in that area.

https://www.coconino.az.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2442

You folks in that part of AZ, I hope you make it through what appears to be a terrific fire season to be. We're on alert here too. Clouds forming around these parts today, I hope there's no dry strikes as there's no moisture to speak of.

thats basically part of flagstaff these days, woody mt. i use to experience God with my girlfriend on that road.

thats not just the kaibab, all of th e forests are closing as i understand it now.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
the Rafael fire crossed over into AZGFD unit 6B last night, burning the western edge above Sycamore Canyon.

Some cloud cover and higher humidities today, but hotter and drier on fri/sat/sun

i knew it was coming, 6a and 6b and unit 8 have been my stomping grounds since i was a kid.
it's all gonna burn, one time or another.
the old crown king rd from prescott going down to phx looks like the surface of the moon now.
prescott is surrounded by national forest. thumb butte park, lynx lake, granite lake all closed now.
The Raphael Fire burned east at least 4 miles in the last 24 hours. Doesn’t look like it’s more than 7 or 8 miles west of Oak Creek Canyon now.

thats not just the kaibab, all of th e forests are closing as i understand it now.

they have or are closing all the forests
check the map
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/2021-wildfires
What do you do when an elderly lady burns tree limbs less than 20 feet from flammables that can burn five homes down?
She has been talked to numerous times and refuses to even put it in a burn barrel on the other side of her yard. She admits that she loves to burn things and waych the fire. The fire department was called and the best they will do is to tell her that it's OK after 6pm.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Sycamore

i knew it was coming, 6a and 6b and unit 8 have been my stomping grounds since i was a kid.
it's all gonna burn, one time or another.
the old crown king rd from prescott going down to phx looks like the surface of the moon now.
prescott is surrounded by national forest. thumb butte park, lynx lake, granite lake all closed now.

Kind of glad now I just took a bonus point in the deer draw this year for various reasons. I was going to put in for those units as I like them and know them some. Now I'll wait and see what burns and what will regrow into good habitat.

Pretty special, eh?

special as in......we have more idiot campers or lightning strikes starting wildfires ?

As in Arizona...or elsewhere...it's serious schidt....

I meant "special" as in Special Ed. Folks that still need/want fireworks in this situation might need to rethink their priorities.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
What do you do when an elderly lady burns tree limbs less than 20 feet from flammables that can burn five homes down?
She has been talked to numerous times and refuses to even put it in a burn barrel on the other side of her yard. She admits that she loves to burn things and waych the fire. The fire department was called and the best they will do is to tell her that it's OK after 6pm.

Sounds like you have a moron in charge of your FD.
Several of the areas I hunt in are on fire already. Do not know if it was people or storms setting the fires. I will be looking for new areas this year to hunt in.
[
© 24hourcampfire