Home
Psycho killer gets a 911 call going, then ambushes the first copper who shows up. Citizen sees this, pulls his pistol and shoots the psycho killer. For his trouble the next cops to show up shoot him:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...-was-shot-by-police-according-to-sources

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/23/john-hurley-arvada-shooting-olde-town-hero/

I’ve told my kids a hundred times, if a cop sees you with a gun in your hand you are going to get killed.
Yep, trying to be the hero can come at a grave cost..
Arvada police are actively protecting Autumn Scardina, the transgender freak attorney who has made it his/her/its life's mission to go after Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cakeshop. Hard for me to feel anything for the cop in this case.
We've got constitutional carry going into effect July 1st here in TN. If everybody starts carrying a pistol the cops won't know whether to $hit or go blind.
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
We've got constitutional carry going into effect July 1st here in TN. If everybody starts carrying a pistol the cops won't know whether to $hit or go blind.

I hope that there's a lot of good folks carrying both openly and concealed. If it's common practice, the criminals will move onto easier thieving. The police will either love it or hate it. That's what it was like after our state did that, although I wish more used that right.
I guess we dont know what happened yet, but it doesnt sound good.
Yep, the coppers aren’t releasing any information. All we really know is that there was no taxpayer funded procession of cops and first responders from all around to honor the dead citizen, the man who actually walked out into the fire and killed the perpetrator. The procession will be repeated on an exponentially bigger scale for the officer’s funeral. The citizen’s funeral will have a small procession paid for by his family.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Arvada police are actively protecting Autumn Scardina, the transgender freak attorney who has made it his/her/its life's mission to go after Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cakeshop. Hard for me to feel anything for the cop in this case.

That's why I won't own a Chevrolet.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Somebody who kills the bad guy, whether they are a cop or a citizen isn't necessarily "trying to be the hero". They may just be stopping a crime. In the past it wasn't seen as grandstanding for a regular person to do this. It was in fact, seen as doing one's duty. This especially in light of the court's saying a cop has no duty to protect life. What if the bad guy had went on to kill more innocents...more cops? Evidently this person gave his life in order to save others. I personally don't care if he was trying to be a hero or was just stopping the slaughter of innocents.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Somebody who kills the bad guy, whether they are a cop or a citizen isn't necessarily "trying to be the hero". They may just be stopping a crime. In the past it wasn't seen as grandstanding for a regular person to do this. It was in fact, seen as doing one's duty. This especially in light of the court's saying a cop has no duty to protect life. What if the bad guy had went on to kill more innocents...more cops? Evidently this person gave his life in order to save others. I personally don't care if he was trying to be a hero or was just stopping the slaughter of innocents.

Most people never have a chance to be a "hero". When that opportunity (?) presents itself, heroes will step up and lessors will stand down.

Not all heroes survive.
Ethan, you are so right. It is sad that all the accolades for the heroism are bestowed on the policeman while nothing is being reported about the ordinary (actually extraordinary!) citizen who acted heroically.
If you don't go into a life threatening situation without the willingness to possibly not make it through, you should not get involved.
This is what separates heroes from everyone else.
There was a lot of information about the civilian that was shot after shooting the bad guy on the morning news in Colorado Springs this morning. Interviews with some friends and co workers. Sounds like a good guy in many ways. His friends were not surprised that he acted and risked it all. I will try to attend whatever service they have for him.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Most people never have a chance to be a "hero". When that opportunity (?) presents itself, heroes will step up and lessors will stand down.

Not all heroes survive.

Well said lt. No one lives forever.

mike r

Then I reckon maybe they better follow the rule of being in fear for their lives before they use deadly force.
Tough to say without knowing the details but I do know if I were in that situation I would disarm myself as soon as it was safe to do so.Maybe this guy didnt have the chance to do so...
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Not all heroes survive.

Exactly right.
Originally Posted by riverdog
Ethan, you are so right. It is sad that all the accolades for the heroism are bestowed on the policeman while nothing is being reported about the ordinary (actually extraordinary!) citizen who acted heroically. The coppers and the city government are no doubt working on minimizing their liability for killing this great citizen.

From the article....

"Arvada Police Chief Link Strate said in a news conference Tuesday that Hurley was “a true hero who likely disrupted what could have been a larger loss of life,”

It seems the Police Chief was giving "accolades for heroism" to this citizen rather immediately.
I am not a sheepdog
God bless him for what he did, but he was black,, the fires would have already started.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am not a sheepdog

No one would confuse you with one

LOL

mike r
Hero Liberty Activist Killed By Police After Stopping Mass Shooter Who Just Killed a Cop
Matt Agorist June 24, 2021
https://thefreethoughtproject.com/l...acks-before-cops-show-up-and-kill-him/ve

Arvada, CO — On Monday, a deranged gunman, 59-year-old Ronald Troyke, began what was about to be a deadly mass shooting. His first victim would be Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley, and, according to the reports that evening, his next victim would be liberty activist and friend to many members of the Free Thought Project, including this author, Johnny Hurley. But it didn’t quite unfold like the original reports claimed. Hurley was actually the hero who stopped the gunman and when other officers arrived on scene, one of them killed the hero.

Johnny Hurley was an outspoken activist for freedom and peace and he spent the last decade or more of his life seeking those goals for the world. His dedication to the preservation of life was so strong that it actually cost him his own life.

According to multiple witnesses, when the gunman, Troyke, began shooting, Hurley did not hesitate and ran straight into danger, eliminating the threat and saving countless lives.

“He did not hesitate; he didn’t stand there and think about it. He totally heard the gunfire, went to the door, saw the shooter and immediately ran in that direction,” witness Bill Troyanos said. “I just want to make sure his family knows how heroic he was.”

“He turned back and looked towards everybody at the restaurant and told us that he (Troyke) is coming, that he is coming back and that we should get inside,” another witness who asked not to be identified said. “I ran to the back of the store, closer to the alley, kind of ‘nooked’ myself in a corner just to feel safe.”

“Mr. Hurley shot him. I think I heard 6 shots from his gun, maybe 5,” Troyanos said.

freestar
To those who witnessed the shooting, Hurley was hailed as a hero. He had stopped the deadly threat and saved many lives in the process. But his time as a living hero was only brief. Moments after saving countless lives, Hurley would be killed by police who likely mistook him for the shooter.

Arvada Police Chief Link Strate said in a news conference Tuesday that Hurley was “a true hero who likely disrupted what could have been a larger loss of life,” but would not say it was police who shot him.

Though police refused to confirm it was them who shot Hurley, Denver7 Chief Investigator Tony Kovaleski reported that they confirmed through three informed, ranking sources — including two law enforcement sources — that it was indeed a cop who ended this hero’s life.

Hurley’s Facebook profile is filled with statements from friends showing just how big of a light he shined in this world. His death is a true tragedy and will leave a void in the activism community.

“Johnny was a man of immense integrity and conviction, but he was also so darn charming. While we often disagreed, I never once doubted his compassion, empathy, or heart. You do indeed shine light in dark places, my dear friend. Your legacy of love is real and cherished,” wrote Shannon McNamara.

“He was everything you wanted in a good friend, and much more. He had a heart of gold. He was smart, open minded, out spoken, resourceful, funny, and very caring. He was a musician, a creator, a speaker of truth, a great chef, and just an all around great human being,” Zack Kopp wrote.

freestar
“Had this been anyone else, I wouldn’t believe it. Of course you’d be the one that wouldn’t hesitate to act so quickly and selflessly and in doing so, you protected the lives of so many people. You’re a god damn hero and I wish you were still here to witness the impact you’ve made Johnny Hurley,” said Lauren Harris.

There has been a GoFundMe set up in his name to help pay for expenses. You can donate to it here.

Rest in Peace, Johnny Hurley.
We've been conditioned to think of police and military as the professionals and that they are the only ones who can handle such situations. Such thinking is apt to get people killed as they wait for the pro's to show up. Police can't be everywhere at once and can't be on call like a magic geni in some bottle. I'll criticize the cops here because while one can sympathize with not knowing the situation, there are several things at play. Most cops never hesitate to remind everybody that THEY are the pro's and they are the ones charged with doing such heroics, thus the "understandable" mistake of shooting the good guy. This coupled with a cop culture of "damn everybody else, but I'm going home alive at the end of my shift to my wife and kids". Combine this with the pussification drilled into every CCW holder by instructors, many of them cops, and you have a typical outcome here. Even the idea that "Constitutional Carry" is needed is bad, because it presupposes that laws override the supreme law of the land, the Constitution, and they do not. Even Constitutional Carry is somewhat of an infringement, whereas the idea of CCW's is more of one and they have allowed these ideas to take a big hold on our national psyche. The whole idea that only a bad guy would have a gun in such a situation is part of the problem as well.

I don't know whether this guy went into the situation wanting to be a hero or whether he just saw a situation he could resolve and did so. I hope the cop who killed him thinks about the life he took for the whole of the rest of his own life.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tough to say without knowing the details but I do know if I were in that situation I would disarm myself as soon as it was safe to do so.Maybe this guy didnt have the chance to do so...

Correct. But it is absolutely mandatory that if one is involved in a shooting, NEVER, EVER, turn to a responding officer(s) with a gun in hand. As soon as the bad guy is down, either holster the gun or put it on the ground so the officer(s) can see it. Raise your hands immediately. Do exactly what the officer(s) tell you to do.

The article did not say what happened. Hope we find out for certain.

L.W.
evidently the 'hero' did not get a chance. Cops just shot him down like a dog.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
… Correct. But it is absolutely mandatory that if one is involved in a shooting, NEVER, EVER, turn to a responding officer(s) with a gun in hand. As soon as the bad guy is down, either holster the gun or put it on the ground so the officer(s) can see it. Raise your hands immediately. Do exactly what the officer(s) tell you to do.

This ^^^^^^ …. When we did Active Shooter training for our church security team, the KSP Sgt leading the session was 100% crystal clear. “After we enter the building, you have less than 2 seconds to drop all weapons. Otherwise we will shoot you.”
WTH, a cop sees someone with a gun and they are free to open fire? Come on man!!!
I hope the cop who killed him thinks about the life he took for the whole of the rest of his own life.

He will if he is any kind of a decent man.
Easy to do an after the fact talk about what the guys who showed up should have done. Little harder when the call comes over the radio that a coworker is down, shot by an unknown assailant, and you roll up to the scene to see an armed man, and two men down, one of them your coworker.

If everything does not go just right, most men here would have done the same thing. Some of the folks who are monday morning quarterbacking wouldn’t have ever been there, because they would have died long ago from being too hesitant to pull the trigger.

The world is imperfect. If you want to have an opinion about the results of this situation, do the legwork, learn the facts, and work it into to your action plan to improve your chances of success in a similar situation. Anything else is just useless yapping.
I think the prudent thing to do, and I am not taking anything away from this man, would have been not to be holding a firearm in his hand when the LEOs arrived on the scene. Pistol on the floor, kick it away and hands on top of the head. But I was not there, and he was.
We've been conditioned to think of police and military as the professionals and that they are the only ones who can handle such situations. Such thinking is apt to get people killed as they wait for the pro's to show up. Police can't be everywhere at once and can't be on call like a magic geni in some bottle. I'll criticize the cops here because while one can sympathize with not knowing the situation, there are several things at play. Most cops never hesitate to remind everybody that THEY are the pro's and they are the ones charged with doing such heroics, thus the "understandable" mistake of shooting the good guy. This coupled with a cop culture of "damn everybody else, but I'm going home alive at the end of my shift to my wife and kids". Combine this with the pussification drilled into every CCW holder by instructors, many of them cops, and you have a typical outcome here. Even the idea that "Constitutional Carry" is needed is bad, because it presupposes that laws override the supreme law of the land, the Constitution, and they do not. Even Constitutional Carry is somewhat of an infringement, whereas the idea of CCW's is more of one and they have allowed these ideas to take a big hold on our national psyche. The whole idea that only a bad guy would have a gun in such a situation is part of the problem as well.

I don't know whether this guy went into the situation wanting to be a hero or whether he just saw a situation he could resolve and did so. I hope the cop who killed him thinks about the life he took for the whole of the rest of his own life.

What a blowfish. You judge others by your own lack of standards and knowledge.

Strong people protect the weak and sometimes schidt happens. I worry more about some untrained goon like you killing me through ignorance than I do getting killed by the popo.

mike r
So, the cop will probably not be charged, because whatever you have to do-to-get-home-safe-at-night-blah-please-don't-quit-blah-immunity. No point in talking about it, really. But what if another civilian had shot the hero, mistaking him for the shooter? They get charged for what?
Originally Posted by ingwe

Or, maybe the cop just saw the gun and executed him.
AS do you really believe that most cops would act as executioners if the circumstances gave them a choice? Many here certainly do.

mike r
A real shame. Don't understand how this happens, short of if this guy turned and pointed.

LEO'S need to be aware of the very real possibility of citizens, off duty leo's, plainclothes leo's, etc. being engaged in a situation. Just because there are reports of "shots fired" does not give an leo justification to open fire on any non-uniformed individual who has a firearm in their hand. Unless this guy turned and pointed at them displaying an immediate perceived threat requiring immediate action, this leo screwed up big. There are a lot of good guys out there carrying, not in uniform, and getting involved. Nowhere have I seen that is is justified to open fire simply because someone has a firearm in their hands. Too little information is known at that point to make the call to shoot someone.
Originally Posted by DaveR
Too little information is known at that point to make the call to shoot someone.

That's where we are.

Not enough information to Monday Morning Quarterback anything.

But that won't stop anyone.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
AS do you really believe that most cops would act as executioners if the circumstances gave them a choice? Many here certainly do.

mike r

No bodycam's. Sounds like the only witnesses are other cops. From the DA on up, everyone reviewing this is a bleeding heart liberal, so regardless of how egregious the cops actions, I doubt there will ever be any justice for the white, male, gun owning John Hurley.

Strong people protect the weak and sometimes schidt happens. I worry more about some untrained goon like you killing me through ignorance than I do getting killed by the popo.

mike r
You can worry all you want to about inconsequential bs but it won't make much difference as old as you are. More than likely you'll stroke out and spend the rest of your life in an old folks home drooling on yourself and shixtting your diaper as you set facing the TV and watching wheel, waiting for your next bowl of porridge or for the young, sixty year old nurse to pat you on the head.
A real shame. Don't understand how this happens, short of if this guy turned and pointed.

LEO'S need to be aware of the very real possibility of citizens, off duty leo's, plainclothes leo's, etc. being engaged in a situation. Just because there are reports of "shots fired" does not give an leo justification to open fire on any non-uniformed individual who has a firearm in their hand. Unless this guy turned and pointed at them displaying an immediate perceived threat requiring immediate action, this leo screwed up big. There are a lot of good guys out there carrying, not in uniform, and getting involved. Nowhere have I seen that is is justified to open fire simply because someone has a firearm in their hands. Too little information is known at that point to make the call to shoot someone.

Way too many cops who believe gun = bad guy = open fire.

Their will be incidents for sure.
Good law.
But lots of morons will be carrying.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am not a sheepdog

No one would confuse you with one

LOL

mike r

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Way too many cops who believe gun = bad guy = open fire.

They're trained that way. And told, true or not, that they'll be taken care of in the event of a mistake.
Like Orion2000 says regarding his church security training: If a cop sees you with a gun in your hand you are going to get shot. You can’t drop it fast enough. Gun recovered at scene =good shoot. Maybe even if they see you with a gun on your belt you are going to get shot. This needs to be widely taught and emphasized. It is a sorry state of affairs but here we are.
Like Orion2000 says regarding his church security training: If a cop sees you with a gun in your hand you are going to get shot. You can’t drop it fast enough. Gun recovered at scene =good shoot. Maybe even if they see you with a gun on your belt you are going to get shot. This needs to be widely taught and emphasized. It is a sorry state of affairs but here we are.

What needs to happen, is the cops of which you speak need to spend long durations inside a prison cell.

Cops are not entitled to shoot citizen for exercising their rights.
Musta been all the good training
Originally Posted by TRnCO
WTH, a cop sees someone with a gun and they are free to open fire? Come on man!!!

Game wardens will have a ball.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow...women-dorner-manhunt-20160127-story.html
FN cops don't give a crap about your life. I hope this hero was at least shot in the chest instead of the back. On another thread a cop is justified when he kills someone at 30' because they have a knife and tattoos. I'm sure glad I'm an old white guy who doesn't open carry.

What needs to happen, is the cops of which you speak need to spend long durations inside a prison cell.

Cops are not entitled to shoot citizen for exercising their rights.
Damned straight.

Well said, Ethan.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow...women-dorner-manhunt-20160127-story.html
FN cops don't give a crap about your life. I hope this hero was at least shot in the chest instead of the back. On another thread a cop is justified when he kills someone at 30' because they have a knife and tattoos. I'm sure glad I'm an old white guy who doesn't open carry.

I'm not aware of the thread or situation you're referring to but if you think an attacker with a knife at 30' isn't a threat, you're an idiot. An amped up meth head can cover 30' in the blink of an eye and a knife attack at close range is a nasty way to die.

Lotsa cops think they're the only ones who should have guns.

Lotsa high-up cops believe that.. who are in charge of the training for cops like the one who shot this citizen.
True Grit, I remember seeing photos in the news of small pickups with “I’m not Dorner” in large letters on the back windows...
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Well said, Ethan.
Thank you, sir.

Well said, Ethan.
Thank you, sir.

Very well stated
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well said, Ethan.
Thank you, sir.

Very well stated

Thank you.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Almost everybody I dealt with or checked that was afield in the cold months was armed with serious weaponry. During warm weather most fishermen had weapons on board. A good many were wearing a sidearm. I liked it that the public was armed. Might need their help. We got used to it and and maybe too complacent.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Almost everybody I dealt with or checked that was afield in the cold months was armed with serious weaponry. During warm weather most fishermen had weapons on board. A good many were wearing a sidearm. I liked it that the public was armed. Might need their help. We got used to it and and maybe too complacent.

I bet you were respectful and were careful not to unnecessarily escalate and start unneeded shootouts, and didn't shoot the citizens who may of helped you in the back?
Originally Posted by Hastings

I bet you were respectful and were careful not to unnecessarily escalate and start unneeded shootouts, and didn't shoot the citizens who may of helped you in the back?
Correct
If you see a police car pull up and you are holding a gun for any reason, you should put it down and walk away before they arrive until they figure out who, what , why and where.
Just dropping the gun isn't enough with the way cops are trained and managed these days. Look up the Daniel Shaver case. He did everything thing they said to do or he would be shot and was murdered because their directions put his hand near his waist.

You’re speaking from the old view of the citizen as member of a community where he bore a responsibility to make things better at every opportunity.

Today’s mindset is we are subjects who are to be cared for. The only logical reason one would take a stand which potentially risks ones own life is to selfishly increase his status within that order.

mike r

No bodycam's. Sounds like the only witnesses are other cops. From the DA on up, everyone reviewing this is a bleeding heart liberal, so regardless of how egregious the cops actions, I doubt there will ever be any justice for the white, male, gun owning John Hurley.

Liberals are not well known for supporting the police, your response is pure speculation as are most on this thread. I have no doubt that John Hurley's death is deeply regretted by the shooter but that is pure speculation on my part.

mike r

mike r
You can worry all you want to about inconsequential bs but it won't make much difference as old as you are. More than likely you'll stroke out and spend the rest of your life in an old folks home drooling on yourself and shixtting your diaper as you set facing the TV and watching wheel, waiting for your next bowl of porridge or for the young, sixty year old nurse to pat you on the head.

What a great riposte, worthy of stoolhead. The fact is that you couldn't tear this old man's picture.

That you and the other beta cop bashers align yourselves on this issue with BLM and their cohorts would be funny if were not so pathetically anti-intellectual.

#betasandnigrasfearcops

mike r

You're not speaking from experience but I can. We have had concealed carry in Missouri for years. The libs said it would be a blood bath. Never happened. Now you can carry concealed without a permit and to date we have had no problems with LEOs as far as I know. We also have not had an officer shot by a legally carrying citizen. Most officers I know have no problem with the general public being armed.
Originally Posted by Jim1611

You're not speaking from experience but I can. We have had concealed carry in Missouri for years. The libs said it would be a blood bath. Never happened. Now you can carry concealed without a permit and to date we have had no problems with LEOs as far as I know. We also have not had an officer shot by a legally carrying citizen. Most officers I know have no problem with the general public being armed.

Jim,

The catch word is "MOST". It just takes one that doesn't. Ask Holley about that.

mike r

What a great riposte, worthy of stoolhead. The fact is that you couldn't tear this old man's picture.

That you and the other beta cop bashers align yourselves on this issue with BLM and their cohorts would be funny if were not so pathetically anti-intellectual.

#betasandnigrasfearcops

mike r

I'm neither a BLM supporter nor a cop basher, but you are an old man who'll soon be being taken care of by BLM supporters in the old folk's home. Better stock up on some t-shirts declaring your love for BBC miker.

mike r

#betasandnigrasfearcops

mike r

I'm neither a BLM supporter nor a cop basher, but you are an old man who'll soon be being taken care of by BLM supporters in the old folk's home. Better stock up on some t-shirts declaring your love for BBC miker.

EE, is that all you've got? I am devastated LMAO

mike r
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Jim,

The catch word is "MOST". It just takes one that doesn't. Ask Holley about that.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should really reword my statement. Of all the officers I'm familiar with none are concerned about the general public being armed. That "ONE" would likely be working behind a desk in one of our liberal big cities. That's always the source of our problems in Missouri.

Well said, Ethan.

Yep, agreed.

mike r

Liberals are not well known for supporting the police, your response is pure speculation as are most on this thread. I have no doubt that John Hurley's death is deeply regretted by the shooter but that is pure speculation on my part.

mike r

It will be interesting to see how the Commie Marxist decide who they hate more, the armed citizen, or the cops.
The commies intend the cops to work for them. That's why they've been selling local law enforcement milsurp. And why the real soldiers are kept engaged overseas.
© 24hourcampfire