Home
Posted By: Tarquin Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/26/21
Blow by blow documentary...

“ The real heroes are dead”
Originally Posted by Borchardt
“ The real heroes are dead”

And who’s names are etched in the Wall.
Not many left like these.
Hate to be such a cynical bastard...but as usual...grunts in the meat grinder due to an intelligence failure.
SALUTE! to all the heroes who were there. Living and dead.

Made a great movie for Gibson...... But hopefully raised some awareness.
Now them chopper pilots...huge big solid brass balls. The guys on the ground? Fight or die, not much choice, they fought well and were well lead. But those pilots...they had a choice..and took the high road.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Now them chopper pilots...huge big solid brass balls. The guys on the ground? Fight or die, not much choice, they fought well and were well lead. But those pilots...they had a choice..and took the high road.

Yep.
There were some studs there in that valley at the base of Chu Pong massif! All heroes in my book. Rick Rescorla was not depicted in the movie( his request) and died years later rescuing people from the towers in NYC on 9/11. Rest in Peace, Warriors!
Posted By: Lorne Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Yes
American heros!
that was a really good movie and i generally dislike most movies. mel gibson is pretty annoying usually but not bad in this one.
Posted By: add Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/27/21
The TarQueen Is One Of Us Tour!

.... continues.
quote=add]The TarQueen Is One Of Us Tour!

.... continues.[/quote]

Lol, your a real dick...... grin
Posted By: add Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

.... continues.

Lol, your a real dick...... grin[/quote]

Paul,

Simple pattern recognition with this punk...

Nothing more.
You know that some of us I've had family in that fight
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by 12344mag

.... continues.

Lol, your a real dick...... grin

Paul,

Simple pattern recognition with this punk...

Nothing more.[/quote]

I snap my fingers and you jump like a lap dog! laugh Living in your head rent-free, 24/7. I love it. grin Now, can we get back to the Ia Drang Valley? That okay with you 'cause not every thread is about your ego needs. Kapiche?
Bruce “Snake Schit” Crandall is a hometown hero!
You know, those PAVN guys were incredibly brave and tough. I'm not saying anything in favor of their communist devil leaders, but Lt. Col. Moore had nothing but praise for those grunts on the other side and I also think some of those VC and PAVN earned respect. There's nothing about that which disparages Americans or ARVN. I'm not with Fonda and Sutherland. In my way of thinking, it takes incredible courage to fight an asymmetrical war and persist with the kind of determination that a lot of those guys showed. Their cause was hijacked by evil, as also the sake of the American cause, the RVN, was corrupted by it.

I admire courage wherever it's found among the lowly and humble -- the grunts. Whether they're volunteers in the Lafayette Escadrile, or submariners in the uboats after ASDIC and everything else brought their casualty rate to 75%, or the crews of the nightfighters whose superiors may have had an evil nazi cause, but whose task was at instruments and crude little cathode ray tubes for the purpose of fending off the Lancasters of Operation Gomorrah that incinerated Hamburg in an inferno. The only thing more courageous than subjecting oneself to the cruel realities of new inventions of warfare is to fight on the receiving end of their destructive force with no practical hope of survival. Imagine what courage it took to resist the onslaught of American warfare technology.

If anyone here served to help the Vietnamese, thank you. It was my family you helped in whatever way you could. They escaped the Communist oppression in 1978. Today, from this distance, I have a love of the land of Vietnam and the people. That war was, besides a proxy war between the Soviets with the Chinese against the US, also a civil war among the Vietnamese. As in our own (US) history, there was really only one just outcome of the civil war, the freeing of the slaves. I'm not convinced any other good came of the outcome. For the Vietnamese, the sole good was the gaining of their independence from foreign control. Everything subsequent seems to have been evil. Two very simply virtuous things, so costly.
One of the first soldiers to die from our county was in that battle.

Rest In Peace SSG Paul Tolbert and thank you.

Good movie, but as always, you need to read the book.
Several of us here feel honored to have helped in your family's liberty, Western Juniper. Welcome.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Indeed….. I read it probably 15 years ago or so. It was an excellent book with some very personal accounts of those who not only fought there but died there.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/27/21

Or actually talk to men that were there.

This is NOT a slam on Marcus (just another example) but Lone Survivor , book and movie, are more Hollywood fiction than truth.
Originally Posted by JeffP

This is NOT a slam on Marcus (just another example) but Lone Survivor , book and movie, are more Hollywood fiction than truth.

Are you saying that Marcus was not truthful in his book?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Several of us here feel honored to have helped in your family's liberty, Western Juniper. Welcome.

friend of mine is from vietnam. had to get out as a kid, father defected from the nva to the southarm y.
friend is now among other things a arizona state representative.
his daughter just graduated from annapolis.
they are pretty special
she shoots camp perry too.
i had a client, passed a couple of years ago. he was on the ground relief column into that valley. brass balls.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JeffP

Are you saying that Marvus was not truthful in his book?

I wouldn’t presume to know. There are a lot of people in between Marcus’s mouth and the book or movie.
Americans fought in RSVN for all the right reasons. The domino theory wasn't a theory, it's just the Communists were bad at executing their strategy. Good cause, fought for the right reasons, executed badly by LBJ's minions. Of course, the South Vietnamese kleptogarchy didn't help a fecking whit.
Everyone who fought over there should be proud, and we should all be proud of them, and - while we still can - tell them.
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Blow by blow documentary...

Probably the best depiction of decently trained and led soldiers and aircrew of the VN. war era.

It was most definitely NOT a documentary.

mike r
Ia Drang Alodda Bier
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Americans fought in RSVN for all the right reasons. The domino theory wasn't a theory, it's just the Communists were bad at executing their strategy. Good cause, fought for the right reasons, executed badly by LBJ's minions. Of course, the South Vietnamese kleptogarchy didn't help a fecking whit.
Everyone who fought over there should be proud, and we should all be proud of them, and - while we still can - tell them.

We can not all be draft dodgers like Renegade
WTF?
Posted By: JeffP Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/28/21
Speaking of Bruce, I was reminded me today of a book in my collection for many moons, gifted by a fellow who has been a dear friend for a long time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The valley was not too far from my last duty station in Nam.
That is awesome ^
Heroes to heroes

"Thank your family for me because they served too while we were deployed"
Hey Juniper, I'll second Rocky - 71 &72 - hard way to grow but probably the best way for a kid like me - no regrets here
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
You know, those PAVN guys were incredibly brave and tough. I'm not saying anything in favor of their communist devil leaders, but Lt. Col. Moore had nothing but praise for those grunts on the other side and I also think some of those VC and PAVN earned respect. There's nothing about that which disparages Americans or ARVN. I'm not with Fonda and Sutherland. In my way of thinking, it takes incredible courage to fight an asymmetrical war and persist with the kind of determination that a lot of those guys showed. Their cause was hijacked by evil, as also the sake of the American cause, the RVN, was corrupted by it.

I admire courage wherever it's found among the lowly and humble -- the grunts. Whether they're volunteers in the Lafayette Escadrile, or submariners in the uboats after ASDIC and everything else brought their casualty rate to 75%, or the crews of the nightfighters whose superiors may have had an evil nazi cause, but whose task was at instruments and crude little cathode ray tubes for the purpose of fending off the Lancasters of Operation Gomorrah that incinerated Hamburg in an inferno. The only thing more courageous than subjecting oneself to the cruel realities of new inventions of warfare is to fight on the receiving end of their destructive force with no practical hope of survival. Imagine what courage it took to resist the onslaught of American warfare technology.

If anyone here served to help the Vietnamese, thank you. It was my family you helped in whatever way you could. They escaped the Communist oppression in 1978. Today, from this distance, I have a love of the land of Vietnam and the people. That war was, besides a proxy war between the Soviets with the Chinese against the US, also a civil war among the Vietnamese. As in our own (US) history, there was really only one just outcome of the civil war, the freeing of the slaves. I'm not convinced any other good came of the outcome. For the Vietnamese, the sole good was the gaining of their independence from foreign control. Everything subsequent seems to have been evil. Two very simply virtuous things, so costly.

One of the finest pieces of original composition I have EVER read on this forum.
Yep!

Roger that.
My first cousin received his first Purple Heart at Id Drang. having been one of the early advisories on the ground..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MOGC Re: Battle of Ia Drang Valley... - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
My first cousin received his first Purple Heart at Id Drang. having been one of the early advisories on the ground..

Is that a Ruger Blackhawk he is packing? BTW, that gentleman's posture and look is one that demands respect and that real men can appreciate.
Vietnam is the main reason that LBJ was the second worst president in modern history after Obama. He active prevented our forces in Vietnam from even attempting to win which forced us to lose. The war was fought for no purpose except to make him look tough and make him money. This disaster disaffected an entire generation creating the idiots who support the Democratic Party today.

It was LBJ who actively prevented our forces from attempting to win. He made fighting that war pointless and hopeless. He did this to make himself look tough but did immeasurable damage to the country. Typical Democrat.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Is that a Ruger Blackhawk he is packing? BTW, that gentleman's posture and look is one that demands respect and that real men can appreciate.

Yes it's a Ruger.. He was first deployed to Thailand then South Vietnam in the early years with multiple tours until his retirement,,. Thanks for the kind words he was my hero from day one..
© 24hourcampfire