Home
These should be required equipment on all String trimmers!!

Use them on my echo's and about to get one for my Stihl Combi

I'll watch this later.......
The new heads come with 2-3 more pieces so may not even have to take the Stihl unit apart, will report this weekend!
Will take it into consideration. Thanks

Always looking for more man toys to add to my man toys or make my man toys more effective in a manish way.
When you run it empty, takes 30 seconds to pull the pre cut 6-8 feet of string out of your pocket, line the hole up feed it in and twist it full.

Love it...wore the first one out until the bottom piece had holes in it.
Dang my dumb butt has been turning the wrong side and getting twisted up in string,,,,,Learn something new everyday! laugh

That is pretty much the same setup that came stock on my Echo.
Echos come with it now.
Dang now I have to buy some grease and hit my original Echo especially it's old as dirt and had a Blade on it for a long time which is down right abusive really.

Who knew????

Mike
Originally Posted by devnull
Echos come with it now.

Stihl is so freaking overrated.
Originally Posted by devnull
Echos come with it now.

My understanding is thats Echos design.
Stihl uses it now, under license.

Guy at work bought a Stihl last year. Couple weeks ago he was grumbling
about how hard it was to restring.

I ask him if it was this head. He had no idea.
Explained how it worked. That night I got a msg.
He was tickled at how easy it worked.
Since he wasn't tearing it apart to feed it anymore.

Amazes me how so many people think they know everything.
And refuse to read manuals.

I read every manual on everything I get.
And usually pick up something doing it.
I like the combi for the edger and shrubbery trimmer attachments, just picked up a string trimmer head for it today.

Had it about 2 years I think no complaints so far except didn't come with a speed feed head.
My Craftsman weed whacker came with a head that works similar. The difference being you take two 6' lengths of line, poke one into each side of the head and then twist it onto the spool. Works slick as snot.
Echo makes great stuff & I have an Echo chainsaw & a blower.

But my trimmer is a Milwaukee M18 Fuel unit & the head works exactly the same way as the Echo unit in the video.............the M18 Fuel unit is a great trimmer & the battery is interchangeable with all my other Milwaukee tools.

MM
I have been using one like this for 15 years
Probably okay for residential use but we tried em last summer and would get maybe a month out of them.

These were used on an asphalt maintenance crew where we weedeat cracks in asphalt/concrete and curblines.

We went back to buying the $20 Stihl heads and get a couple weeks out of them before having to replace the bottom piece you bump to feed line.

Oregon builds them too.
I have one by Oregon that is similar.

it has spools of thread you load that you buy in 10 packs

its not cheap but I don't use them that often
I bought an Echo machine this year and I like the speed feed head overall, the only knock I have on it is if you get in some heavier stuff it has a little gap between the gear housing and trimmer head that tends to wrap up with debris. For instance, I have moss here and if you run through some of it, it will wrap and put a stop to the trimmer until you pull it out.....same with any kind of vines. Not a problem if you just trim grass and worth the minor annoyance for the ease of re-stringing. It is after all designed for just grass trimming and I guess I blur the line into light brush cutting along some of my ditch banks.

As far as Echo vs Stihl, I am a long time Stihl user and the differences that I see so far is that this Echo starts easier but the grass guard on it IMO is a little too big and tends to drag on the ground and hang up on stuff. Also, the engine is round on the bottom and tends to roll over when you transport the unit in say the bed of your truck. The Stihl's are flat and stay upright. This Echo has a lot of power for its size. Mine is the typical 225 unit that you see at Home Depot but it has bike handlebars and is marketed as a "brush cutter". I started to buy the next size up but the sales guy told me the 225 would do anything I wanted and he was right. I was in the market for a bike handlebar trimmer because in the last year or so the position I get in when using a loop handle trimmer kills my back. The Stihl I was using still runs fine....just decided to try something different. Both are good machines.....just with different little quirks.

As an aside, one of my good friends bought an Echo with the speed feed head from Home Depot and for some reason did not get a manual or any paper work. He was taking apart the speed feed head to re string it like you do a regular Stihl head. I saw him do it before I bought mine and just thought that was how it was. After I got mine I showed him how to do it right and boy was he happy! laugh
I just use the really heavyweight zip ties. They are cheap, outlast any string made, and easy to zip on and off.
One of the main weeds in this area is kochia. It has a thick stem that a line won't cut through. I put one of these Stihl brush cutters on my trimmer and it stays on full time. You have to be careful with it but it cuts through kochia nicely and works well on all other weeds, too.

[Linked Image from stihlusa.com]
Been running a Speed Feed head for several years now. Worn one out and on my second one.
The weed whacking workload is way down around my place. Only use my 20 year old Echo GT around our garden edges.

Everywhere else is nuked with a 3ft wide fan pattern of gly-2,4-D and Dawn. About every 4 weeks

our farm spray rig is the 89 nissan pathfinder with 40 gallon tank and 50ft of hose. Put out 15 gallons yest even touching up around the gates and my walk in cooler
I like the system on my old Craftsman wacker. Cut a length of trimmer, feed it through a hole on the head and go. When it gets short, repeat. Simple and no auto feed to screw up.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I like the system on my old Craftsman wacker. Cut a length of trimmer, feed it through a hole on the head and go. When it gets short, repeat. Simple and no auto feed to screw up.

Yup

I just carry a pocket off pre cut snippets.

Which is great until you’ll get into poison ivy and you have to grab that head and slip in a fresh pair of cording
tag
Got my other new head and a tube of white lithium grease, my poor old bladed unit will get some relief tomorrow laugh

Mike
These work even better. Slightly more expensive than a string trimmer, but you can't argue the results!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I don't like horses though!

Manufacturers are even advertising the speed feed now!

https://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/
Probably order one, ordered a new pull string assembly, and a carb for my stilh, going to put them on today it's been sitting for a few yrs. We have been paying someone to cut the grass and haven't been able to get a hold of him for over a month, f-cking grass is waist-high in some of the backyard. Going to buy a mower and start doing it myself.
I just got done with 3 ten hour days on a stihl weedeater. I use the head that I load precut 8 inch pieces. A speedloader would not last a day with me!
Put the Speed Feed head on the Stihl attachment when I got back from lunch just now, took about 5 minutes out in the parking lot. Will put it to work tomorrow.

Mike

P.S. Just like the 1st video, used a nail to hold it still and a 3/8" extension to push the arbor out and replace with correct (green) one.
Originally Posted by Waders
These work even better. Slightly more expensive than a string trimmer, but you can't argue the results!

Maybe on grass, most ignore weeds.
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I just got done with 3 ten hour days on a stihl weedeater. I use the head that I load precut 8 inch pieces. A speedloader would not last a day with me!

Maintenance at a factory or plant or something???
Sahil got similar for a long time, it you put the ends of the line in , wind the cut in center. I've had two of these for some time now and have zero issues and I weed eat quite a lot.
I got tired of adding string to the trimmer head on my Stihl and put on a Stihl Poly-Cut head. Grass and heavy weeds, no problem.

Is this the line head you are using for your Stihl?

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/durocut/

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/durocut/

Yes, I believe it is! I have never used one before this job, to be honest, and I really like it. I use a lot of trigger control around trees, stakes, rocks , etc to prolong the use of my line. All the heads I used before were the speed load type.

Yes, I believe it is! I have never used one before this job, to be honest, and I really like it. I use a lot of trigger control around trees, stakes, rocks , etc to prolong the use of my line. All the heads I used before were the speed load type and they sucked!

While I am a concrete finisher by trade my aging back is making it paramount I do some easier work. I have worked golf courses and am now mowing and weed eating a park owned by the Army corps of Engineers! The terrain on this park on the Mississippi is way tougher on the equipment than my previous work on a golf course!

Yes, I believe it is! I have never used one before this job, to be honest, and I really like it. I use a lot of trigger control around trees, stakes, rocks , etc to prolong the use of my line. All the heads I used before were the speed load type.

I have a brand new Stihl here that is in reserve when my old Craftsman dies. I'll be getting one of those heads for it when the time comes. The one on my old Craftsman is better as you just feed one single pc of line all the way through it and make sure the ends are even. I taped a pc of old garden hose to my shaft and put all the pre-cut pcs in there ready to use.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yup

Which is great until you’ll get into poison ivy and you have to grab that head and slip in a fresh pair of cording

You do have Round Up in TN, right??
I'll have to show this to the Messkin that does my yard.
If you have lots of concrete or asphalt to edge around,

Yup

I have been eradicating poison ivy since my formative years working on farms and estates doing chores. I have never gotten infected. This week I got into a forest of poison ivy, I just said FIDO and mowed it down. I walked into a campsite and this little darling kid comes up and starts fondling my weedeater ( the working end) which is completely covered. Grandparents grab the kid ( could not tell if it was a girl or boy). I felt bad and I should have told em to get kid soaped and watered. I went to latrines and washed myself down. Two days later I am still fine and happy! I am talking forests of the crap around here!

Yup

Good point ...... No poison ivy here, but we do have a slew of wild parsnip that one has to be wary of. I pretty much have all of that gone off my property.

I don't have issue with the oem Stihl units as they work fine, the only problem I have seen is lazy arseholes failing to adjust the harness and wearing the head out by running the unit on the ground.
Originally Posted by roundoak

They just plant weeds!
I bought an Echo weedeater last gear with the speed head on it. Fabulous!!!
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

They just plant weeds!

Pull grass up by the roots, plant and fertilize weeds, all in one motion. The invention of the internal combustion made the horse obsolete.
Will it fit a Husqvarna?
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

They just plant weeds!

Pull grass up by the roots, plant and fertilize weeds, all in one motion. The invention of the internal combustion made the horse obsolete.

You're preaching to the choir. My point in posting presupposed that folks understood that horses will turn any patch of grass into hardpan if left there long enough. Hence my original comment...
Firm beleiver in 41% glyphosphate and chemicals found in the garage for killing plants.
Witches brew.
Even diesel fuel works....

Gave up weed whacking for good 2 yrs ago.

IDGAF about what Captain Planet or his minons think...

TFF!!!
The Germans give 0 intro time to the African planeteer..

Geuss they still got some hard feelings about Jesse Owens...
laugh laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Whelenman
Will it fit a Husqvarna?

https://www.echo-usa.com/getattachm...3-0dd32dff865f/99944200907esf_040913.pdf

Yes Sir

Model compatibility chart a few pages in on this pdf
My old Echo that I leave the blade kit on has been used 16-17 years and I've never had it serviced or greased the head myself pulled the bolt out, full of grease! I tried to pack more in to see if it would take any...it didn't. I guess if it isn't leaking out not much need to worry about it.

The combi unit Stihl with the speed feed weedeater head installed worked as expected. I will be taking the little anti kick back attachment off of the handle though it kept poking me in the leg which was annoying and I don't really plan on using a blade on this one anyway.

Mike

Originally Posted by Whelenman
Will it fit a Husqvarna?

Husqvarna install

Originally Posted by NDsnowman
I just use the really heavyweight zip ties. They are cheap, outlast any string made, and easy to zip on and off.

Maybe it is more intuitive than can be utilized by my small brain; but, can you elaborate on this please. Do you just zip one or two down tight around the spool?
I'm with the glyphosphate and 2-4-D bunch.

98 Kawasaki mule, 15gal tank, boom and spray wand.

Doubles as the fire ant killer with Biafen I/T mix.
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Will take it into consideration. Thanks

Always looking for more man toys to add to my man toys or make my man toys more effective in a manish way.

haha

Yup
© 24hourcampfire