Home
Posted By: broomd Starlink.... - 07/16/21
It's been bantered a bit here before, but curious who's using Starlink and how is the service as of 7/21? Got the email today indicating that our kit is inbound.
Musk's recent comments stating that he needs $30 billion to see Starlink succeed don't instill much confidence. Until then we were pretty hopeful. It's no secret that Musk has a habit of inserting his foot in his mouth with his brutal honesty or opinions.

Curious if we need to put that 'middle finger' call to Hughesnet on hold.....thoughts? Current experiences?

Posted By: AUGrad Re: Starlink.... - 07/16/21
Starlink is not counting exclusively on rural consumers for profit. When fully built out, it will provide lower latency than transoceanic cables. The high frequency traders will pay big bucks for faster connections between the NY, London, etc. stock exchanges.
Posted By: Steve Re: Starlink.... - 07/16/21
Been on the list since they started taking orders. Still says late 2021.
Posted By: Brad Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
My IT guy has used starlink on a project, and claims the speed is unreal. I’ll be using it on a project next year. Should be enlightening.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
It's not going to be available to us for awhile. I've actually signed up for Pacific Dataport which should be available this fall. The satellites are on a N-S orbit and cover polar regions and high latitudes better
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Starlink is not counting exclusively on rural consumers for profit. When fully built out, it will provide lower latency than transoceanic cables. The high frequency traders will pay big bucks for faster connections between the NY, London, etc. stock exchanges.

That statement doesn't make sense. 1's and 0's travel at the speed of light whether on fiber or on radio waves. In order to get from point A to point Z (terminal to server), the only way to reduce latency is to reduce distance (assuming there aren't other latency inducing factors). Starlink does nothing to reduce distance over fiber.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Sounds encouraging. I hope the speeds don't go down the crapper when millions of people are sharing the service.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by LoadClear

That statement doesn't make sense. 1's and 0's travel at the speed of light whether on fiber or on radio waves. In order to get from point A to point Z (terminal to server), the only way to reduce latency is to reduce distance (assuming there aren't other latency inducing factors). Starlink does nothing to reduce distance over fiber.

Yes and no. The total distance going up to the satellite and back down may be longer than a terrestrial path, but transcontinental transmission across cables, even fiber, requires several repeaters due to signal loss. Each one of those adds a delay.
Posted By: broomd Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Sounds encouraging. I hope the speeds don't go down the crapper when millions of people are sharing the service.

I've read that Musk is committed to capping the service before he lets overuse or 'oversold' become a problem.
Those of us with Hughesnet know just how bad it can get when a company goes the 'profit over quality' route. Brutal.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21

Yes and no. The total distance going up to the satellite and back down may be longer than a terrestrial path, but transcontinental transmission across cables, even fiber, requires several repeaters due to signal loss. Each one of those adds a delay.

Nope. The comment was made about transoceanic cables. Undersea fibers do not use repeaters. They use EDFA's without any latency

Also, long haul terrestrial fiber is also amplified with EDFA's, still no latency added.
Posted By: DBT Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Adds to space junk. Doesn't make Astronomers happy.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Easily the gayest form of internet.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Only for the china elites.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Starlink? Is that the future Skynet and is Arnold going to be visiting us soon?
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Quite awhile back I signed up on email to Starlink, said they'd let me know when it was available here so I could sign up. Never heard a peep. Saw on social media folks around me talking about how good it was. Looked at it again and had to pay up front for it, even though I couldn't get it yet. I said fugk you.

I am rethinking my position. Hughsnet isn't fit to lick the dogchidt off my boots. Lying corksuckers. I cannot wait until I can can dump them in favor of something better.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Quite awhile back I signed up on email to Starlink, said they'd let me know when it was available here so I could sign up. Never heard a peep. Saw on social media folks around me talking about how good it was. Looked at it again and had to pay up front for it, even though I couldn't get it yet. I said fugk you.

I am rethinking my position. Hughsnet isn't fit to lick the dogchidt off my boots. Lying corksuckers. I cannot wait until I can can dump them in favor of something better.

Up ya’lls way, do cell companies offer Fixed cell service?

Mount an antenna and use cellular service for internet.
Posted By: UselessEater Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Pretty sure he will ge the 30 billion, isn't about internet service

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/space...otic-fighter-jets-air-warfare-symposium/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/e...ing-vision-of-assassin-drones-2018-11-26

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-elon-musk-42000-starlink-satellites-earth-effects-stars-2020-10

https://www.technologyreview.com/20...nk-satellites-gps-unjammable-navigation/
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
I heard they have internet on computers now
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Up ya’lls way, do cell companies offer Fixed cell service?

Mount an antenna and use cellular service for internet.

If I were in a spot that had cell coverage I could do that and make my phone a hotspot. But I have basically no cell coverage at home, so an antennae isn't doing schist for me. I'm a slave to the satellite masters. Cell coverage is shidt anyways no matter where you are most the time now because the shidt eating tourons eat up all the coverage and the towers can't keep up.

I honestly have a copper landline and it is the only way to get me at home, outside of email or an internet served messaging service.
Posted By: Steve Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21

It's only a $99 deposit to get on the Starlink list and it's refundable if you get tired of waiting. Think they're trying to sift out the tire kickers.
Posted By: broomd Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by Steve

It's only a $99 deposit to get on the Starlink list and it's refundable if you get tired of waiting. Think they're trying to sift out the tire kickers.

Likely....

So...back to my original posting, does anyone here have Starlink, and how is the service working out?
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Originally Posted by stevelyn
It's not going to be available to us for awhile. I've actually signed up for Pacific Dataport which should be available this fall. The satellites are on a N-S orbit and cover polar regions and high latitudes better
cost ? i sent them a note ..aint heard back yet
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Starlink.... - 07/17/21
Actually, most of the current Starlink satellites are in east-west orbits, although with the next launch they'll start to put them in polar orbits. Best coverage now is at up to 57 degrees latitude, if I recall correctly. You can see a live map of where they all are right now if you click HERE Zoom in and you can see them moving. Click the cogwheels to set filters, such as for active satellites and your location.
Posted By: 5533 Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21
i've had it since feb. works great,does drop very rarely,works great for streaming netflix etc
Posted By: AUGrad Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21

Nope. The comment was made about transoceanic cables. Undersea fibers do not use repeaters. They use EDFA's without any latency

Also, long haul terrestrial fiber is also amplified with EDFA's, still no latency added.

Explanation here.

The claim is NY to London will have estimated 43ms latency compared to 64 currently. Also consider that satellite communication - assuming both ends are connected this way - eliminates the need for routing through the various ISP’s to get to the undersea cable.
Posted By: EdM Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21
Just down the mountain maybe ten miles away is one of their facilities with eight "domes". They installed it with six last summer and just a few weeks ago I saw them install two more.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21

Explanation here.

The claim is NY to London will have estimated 43ms latency compared to 64 currently. Also consider that satellite communication - assuming both ends are connected this way - eliminates the need for routing through the various ISP’s to get to the undersea cable.

I read the article, and there's a bit of wishful thinking. There are currently no satellite to satellite communications with starlink. There are plans to implement it, but not until next year, and only 10 satellites. The intent of them is to minimize the need of ground stations in the arctic. The article takes some liberties with match in regards to the uplink and downlink gains, and doesn't take into account the physical multiplexing at the ground stations.

As far as routing through various ISP's... If someone wants to minimize latency (for example large traders), they don't have their traffic "routed" through various ISPs. They buy a dedicated l2vpn which does not get routed. It's a direct pipe from point to point. There is very little latency in an l2vpn since there's no switching (in the traditional sense) involved nor packet manipulation below the S-tag level.

I've been in this business for a lot of years, and I've read lots of whitepapers from those in the industry trying to sell stuff. The gains from LEO satellites in regards to latency just isn't there.

(disclaimer: my company provides bandwidth to both Starlink and Oneweb)
Posted By: kingston Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21
I signed up. We've currently got a 30 Mbps connection that costs $145/mo.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21
The latency gains they claim are comparing low orbit satellites to geostationary ones, not to satellite versus cable or fiber. Regarding sat-sat laser linking: that's the plan for the finalized fleet. When the first-generation satellites up now get replaced, the new ones will carry laser packages. Eventually, they'll all be cross-linked. Starlink birds are currently designed to have a relatively short lifespan, so that they can be replaced as the technology evolves. They also are designed to de-orbit and completely burn up, leaving no debris behind or reaching the ground.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21
So how do they handle the bad-weather trouble like I used to have with Sat TV?

I’m getting 150-200/30-40 MBPS DL/UL from cable for $95 a month. Interruptions are extremely rare, and they jump on problems lickety-split. Don’t think there’s anything they can do for me, but I hope they can help put the folks in the real sticks.
Posted By: akasparky Re: Starlink.... - 07/18/21
Originally Posted by broomd

So...back to my original posting, does anyone here have Starlink, and how is the service working out?

Might not really be what you are looking for but I've been following this guys videos, he's actually running it and testing it in various locations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQi37nnCd8&list=PLp14lzXh07umaSGOZtRZ_jc4nIU5P5aOz&index=4

Posted By: broomd Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
Well, got my Starlink last night. Opened the box, everything was pre-connected--literally plug and play. They forgot to include the instruction manual.
I tossed the small tripod array in the backyard for a quick check and this was the result:
After 15 years with no cell service and inferior satellite internet providers, this speed is mind blowing. And no data limits!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
The need for speed has a lot folks paying for transmission rates exceeding their system's capability. Much like burning premium fuel in a 70's VW.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
Congrats, broomd. BTW, another 120 satellites going up in August, the first 60 into polar orbit, which will start to extend the coverage area farther north and south.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
Wow, the hype must be real.

I am on the waiting list and we are hoping to use the thing with the camper. 140 megabits parked next to a big wall would be nice to have.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Congrats, broomd. BTW, another 120 satellites going up in August, the first 60 into polar orbit, which will start to extend the coverage area farther north and south.

T/y! After never having experienced high speed internet, I'm blown away. I realize that here are much faster inner-city connections out there, but for us rural Americans, this service will be life changing.

Originally Posted by Stickfight
Wow, the hype must be real.

I am on the waiting list and we are hoping to use the thing with the camper. 140 megabits parked next to a big wall would be nice to have.

Hang in there! Worth the wait; about six months for us.
Everything is automated, this dish literally moves and tracks the birds. It's heated as well to alleviate snow/ice issues.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
How's the "on time"? Any service interruptions?

Originally Posted by 1minute
The need for speed has a lot folks paying for transmission rates exceeding their system's capability. Much like burning premium fuel in a 70's VW.

You're missing the whole point. Starlink is the only option for me at the farm.(no DSL no cable, no wireless, too weak cellular signal and Hughesnet is a joke). With Starlink, I can remotely access my monitoring system, and, more importantly, I can accept debit and credit cards for farm sales. You ever try to get white people to carry enough cash to buy anything more than a cup of coffee?

It's nice it's decently fast, but it's all about it being available, at all.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21

The max speed of light c is in a vacuum. Its speed depends on the medium. This guy does some calculations and say it has a 30% reduction in fiber cable.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...light-travel-through-a-fibre-optic-cable
Posted By: KFWA Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
Well, got my Starlink last night. Opened the box, everything was pre-connected--literally plug and play. They forgot to include the instruction manual.
I tossed the small tripod array in the backyard for a quick check and this was the result:
After 15 years with no cell service and inferior satellite internet providers, this speed is mind blowing. And no data limits!

that is going to change rural America.

buy the most remote land you can find with Electric

its about to go up in value.
Originally Posted by KFWA

It will. That said a lot of rural America was strung with Fiber because of Obama so part of the demand is satisfied already.

I say buy remote with no electricity and generate your own. Not sure if it will ever be available in Alaska or if so it may be a long time.

Posted By: Dutch Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
Originally Posted by OldHat

It will. That said a lot of rural America was strung with Fiber because of Obama so part of the demand is satisfied already.

I say buy remote with no electricity and generate your own. Not sure if it will ever be available in Alaska or if so it may be a long time.

Agree, With the rapid improvement and reduced costs in home solar /storage systems, any time you have to run power more than about a third of a mile, a solar setup is cheaper.
The big downside of Starlink is not how great your Facebook connection will be out in the middle of nowhere.The BIG problem will be the enablement of the Internet of Things and the broadening of surveillance.

Surveillance cameras will be connected and freaking everywhere. Everything will be connected to the Internet. Your dog, your cow, your car, your kids, your neighbors and YOU. Everything you can think of can open up to the Internet. The ffing internet will be inescapable. This is VERY bad.
Posted By: Dess Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
I remember when 5Meg was the highest available. Now, it's basically the minimum you need to stream something on your TV.

It will be great until more and more devices will rely on it. This will eat into your speed and bog it down. Additionally, since you are probably sharing satellite bandwith amongst your neighbors it won't take much for a gamer or high end user to drag everyone down too.

Fiber optic is being placed in many new developments and retrofitted in many areas with aerial easements (telephone poles). If you are in an existing neighborhood with direct buried services, it will be the last areas retrofitted if at all.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21

I think you're right. About 10 years ago, we bought a place on the CA coast, maybe a three hour drive north of SF. There was one cable tv/internet provider in the area and it was down about 75% of the time, and when it worked it was like using a 300 baud modem. Because the internet (and phone) service was so bad, it was impossible to work remotely from there, but that wasn't a big deal since most businesses didn't allow remote working. Property values in that area were stagnant for a long time and when the homeowners association decided to put in cable internet, we didn't think much of it even though we agreed to subscribe.

Once the cable internet was live, it changed everything. We could work remotely, watch tv, get phone service, etc. And property values took off. We ended up selling a few years ago for a nice profit, and with the scamdemic causing people to flee urban areas prices went through the roof when folks realized they could work from one of the more beautiful coastal areas in the US. Today, the house we sold three years ago would sell for twice what we got for it, in large part because people now want to live in more rural areas,

Of course, that ain't all good. We hear that folks are now complaining about crowding, prices, etc.
Originally Posted by 1minute

Laughing!

We've had a fleet of Ferrari's running on 52 octane around here for 15 years. Our IMacs and home businesses have been starved for high-speed data.
You have zero understanding how bad the situation has been for rural America, since, well, basically the dawn of the internet....
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
We're hoping to do this at out place in NE Wisconsin. We're right on Lake Michigan, cell service is terrible and internet is non existent. Verizon used to kinda work, not so much anymore.
Posted By: Steve Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
Congrats! Still on the "Late 2021" list here.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
You have zero understanding how bad the situation has been for rural America, since, well, basically the dawn of the internet....

I don't think so. I still have friends I have to go visit if we have an issue to discuss, and they are fine happy people.

Some thought the same of fax machines and cell phones. The web is just one tool out of thousands in our modern world, and has not been a life changing event for my family. Living in the sticks, we're getting by on DSL at a download rate of 3 megabytes per second and upload of about 0.79. That's quick enough for us to have conversations with Australians. A neighbor has gone satellite and is doing about 100 times that. His sole entertainment, however, is online gaming. Ours is anything that will get us out of doors where a great deal of the appeal is being uninterrupted and out of touch. I must admit though that the dinner question of "how much wood could a wood chuck chuck" had to remain unanswered until the camp ground post routed it to Siri one evening.

My cell phone lives atop the kitchen microwave, and I've not touched it in the last two months. Left it there for 3 weeks of that interval when we were on the road. Probably needs charging.

If I lived and died as a day trader, I might see a need to hop things up a bit. Might pay me too to make a move to New York to cut down on lag time. I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Starlink.... - 07/30/21
140 is pretty speedy.

About a year ago, we left the phone co as our ISP and get ‘net through FiWi. We went from 1 electron at a time, at gun point (kudos to las for that) to 18 down. We could get faster, but right now, we don’t need it.

My neighbor runs 3 websites on 1 Meg. Very troublesome for him. Phone co. won’t/can’t provide anything faster, and access to the FiWi tower is obscured. This may be the ticket for him.
Posted By: broomd Re: Starlink.... - 08/25/21
Update...
After 13+ years, today we officially told Hughesnet to pound sand. laugh
The Starlink overall has been fantastic. Experienced one spotty download session about 10 days ago when we had a rare and welcomed downpour.
Based on many speed tests download speeds are probably averaging around 80-90Mbps overall, but that's anecdotal. I speed tested at 230 just now. I suspect things will only get faster as this beta progresses.

We added an ASUS AS5400 dual band modem/router and replaced the Starlink-supplied router. The ASUS is actually a gaming router--screaming fast and reaches the Samsung screens around the house flawlessly with it's excellent range. We've seen no downside to replacing the Starlink equipment--they supply an okay router, but it only has one aux. ethernet port and it's very basic.

We also added a Roku Ultra streamer--plumbed that upstream (Cat 6) into the ASUS and downstream (HDMI) right into the Yamaha AVR to be able to utilize our Dolby Atmos. Cancelled our 12 years of monthly Netflix-mailed DVD/Bluray discs. For the first time ever we're actually streaming movies--perfectly, no glitches. Never thought we'd see the day in our remote valley.

Bottom line, what a fantastic system!

© 24hourcampfire