Home
Posted By: rem141r Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
I've been planting semi dwarf apple and pear trees around the plantation for the past 20 or so years. they have been fruiting ok for quite a while but spotty. stars aligned this year and all my trees are loaded. never saw them like this. actually concerned for the pear trees. they are bent over and theres still a month or so of growing season. might need to prop them up somehow. funny thing is, i can take or leave apples and pears. eat a dozen or so a year. guess the deer will be eating good this year.

anybody else having a banner year?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
The deer will be eating good off of my apples trees as well this year. We rarely eat them but we do let some of the church folks come out and get them. The deer get the rest.
kwg
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Late frosts killed most of the fruit tree crops around here this year. It is a pretty common problem with this area - warm temps in late winter start trees to budding, and then a late freeze zaps them.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by rem141r
I've been planting semi dwarf apple and pear trees around the plantation for the past 20 or so years. they have been fruiting ok for quite a while but spotty. stars aligned this year and all my trees are loaded. never saw them like this. actually concerned for the pear trees. they are bent over and theres still a month or so of growing season. might need to prop them up somehow. funny thing is, i can take or leave apples and pears. eat a dozen or so a year. guess the deer will be eating good this year.

Glad to hear you're going to get a good crop.. But here, the very late frosts decimated most apple crops.. Some places might get 20% yield - but that's about it..
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Some of the cherries here are dehydrating on the tree from the heat and hot sun.
About 40 trees up here near the UP border and not enough apples to make a pie. Late frost!
Posted By: JeffP Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
My pawpaw trees are loaded. Been a good vegetable season too.

Maybe cull some fruit off the heavy limbs
Posted By: Chisos Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by auk1124
Late frosts killed most of the fruit tree crops around here this year. It is a pretty common problem with this area - warm temps in late winter start trees to budding, and then a late freeze zaps them.

2nd year in a row, here. Beginning to forget what a peach looks like.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Second the culling on the pear tree. Go through and pick all of the small and misshaped ones. Even propping up the limbs you’ll still risk major damage to your tree.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
I’m having another non year. I bought land in wrest central Ks in 09. Following year, I planted a variety of apple, peach, pear and plum trees, about 20 total. In ten years, I’ve gotten zero peaches and pears, a few dozen apples, and one year had a bumper crop of plums, a couple five gallon buckets.
I’m very disappointed. I bought varieties supposedly good for that area. I have recommended pollinators for each fruit. But nearly zero success.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Having a good year with the figs and persimmon, the squirrels and possums are eating well.

The guava and sugar cane was all killed off down to the ground by the hard freeze we had in Feb.........slowly coming back.
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Second the culling on the pear tree. Go through and pick all of the small and misshaped ones. Even propping up the limbs you’ll still risk major damage to your tree.

Definitely cull the odd balls and fruit with defects ASAP. I would cut the stems with scissors at this point too rather than attempt to pull them off. After the cull then I would still go through and thin out to no more than a pear every six inches. Fewer but better fruit and you’ll save damage to the tree.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Luckily we didn't have a late frost this year. My apple trees are loaded! I built a blind near them last year.
[img]https://postimg.cc/2btb9TN8[/img]
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21

Great year. Course all the fruit growers around are so.....

But thin those trees!!!!!!

You can break limbs.

Peaches 4” apart at least.

If one out of 100 blossoms on an apple tree produces.....you have a good year
Posted By: Huntz Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21

You have to thin them out.I grow apples to sell.If they are too thick together they get disease,and are miss shaped.Get rid of at least 50%.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by JeffP
My pawpaw trees are loaded. Been a good vegetable season too.

Maybe cull some fruit off the heavy limbs

When I first met my wife I convinced her to eat a green persimmon. Oh that was funny. LOL!!
Hit and miss around the state but some crops have and are going to have bumper or record producing years.

Cherries had a record year as rains and lack there of just right.

Nuts especially pistachios are projected to have a great years.

Citrus was down about 10% early this year.

Should be an outstanding vintage year if rains don't come too early late summer.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Yeah my grapes are loaded too
Posted By: slumlord Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
Yes

on apples
on peaches

no on pears (frost on those blossoms)

Thin HEAVILY. You can thin 75% of peaches and end up with the same total weight of fruit because of larger size. If you don't thin 75% of the apples, they likely won't bear at all next year. Remove all but 1 in each cluster and thin the clusters to at least 4" apart.
I haven't seen pears do that but the fruits will be stunted if not thinned.
Posted By: hanco Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
It is down here, plenty rain!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Good year for fruit trees - 07/19/21
as for late frost, i think thats what hits mine every year except this year. i will take the suggestions and cull the pears. one of the apple rows i have was marketed as a "cider bundle". i forget the types of trees but theres 3 types that are supposed to be good for cider. i planted them in anticipation of making my own cider. might need to go buy me a press now. i wish i knew what the one type of apple is that was on the property when i bought it. one of the best eating apples i ever had. little gnarly guys because i don't spray but you can get a couple good bites out of each one. i have seen the deer standing on their hind legs to eat those. good year for blueberries too. son just picked a gallon and wife is making a pie right now.
© 24hourcampfire