Home
What's your favorite way to cook/eat Crappie? Whole (cleaned/scaled)? Fileted? What batter do you like for frying?
Fried filets w/Tony Cachere's.
Filet them, dredge them in seasoned cornmeal and fry them. Beer batter if you have to, but I prefer cornmeal with some cornflakes crushed up and mixed in. Tony the Tiger works fine! Reminds me of dinners with my grandparents.
Scaled, skin on, on the bone, fried in corn meal might offer the best flavor. Or maybe just a comfort food for me, the only way we ate fresh fish when I was growing up.

Filled, dipped in a good batter & deep fried are good & the quickest & easiest eating.

I've tried to make Crappie ceviche' twice & just don't think the type of meat is suitable for it. Neither is Bluegill IMO.
Fileted, dredge in New Orleans style Louisiana fish fry.
Deep fry at 350 until the filet floats.

Only thing I have fished for in the last 20 years.
I love hot fried Crappie right off the greasy paper towels straight outta the fryer.
Fried in oil

Day 1 stuff man

grin
House Autry
Deep fried at 350 in cornmeal.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Scaled, skin on, on the bone, fried in corn meal might offer the best flavor. Or maybe just a comfort food for me, the only way we ate fresh fish when I was growing up.

That is the way I eat normally bluegills and other panfish. A big crappie I might split down the backbone and make two or more pieces......that is what I thought a fillet was until I was grown. Dad would scale the fish (any kind) and if it was big enough would split it.....one side would only have rib bones in it the other side would have the backbone.

I love fried fish any way I can get them.
Scaled, skin on, pan fried in butter with maybe salt & pepper.
I filet anything big enough to keep in the boat.

Crusteaze makes dry batter mix. I add milk and egg. Dip filets and deep fry.
Fried. Is there any other way to prepare them?
I usually end up with a mixed bag of crappie and bluegills. I filet them, roll them in New Orleans seasoned flour and deep fry them. As fish go, that is about as good as it gets from fresh water. I do walleye and yellow perch the same way.
I like em scaled and rolled in flour mixed with Lowery's salt & thrown in a fryin pan, same with sunnys.
I Filet them when don't have time to scale em. Not quite as good though.
+1 on HTDUCK's way. Louisiana seasoning filet fried at 350 until it floats. I make my Tartar sauce with Miracle Whip
+2 on that. Can't beat a white perch fish fry.
Dipped in cornmeal and fried in an old iron skillet.
Filets them out
Dredge them in Louisiana Fish Fry (blue box)
Fried in an iron skillet
Also fry up taters and onions to go with the crappie
Filet fried in corn meal with hush puppies and sweet tea!
Scale and fry, the rest is just details.
Don’t forget to fry the tail! Those fried crisp is better than any potato chip or pork rinds on earth,
Crappie?

Not to worry, your grandchildren will speak Mandarin and eat Cocker Spaniels.
Filleted and breaded with Andy’s yellow mix. Fry them at 325 till they float. Don’t need potatoes or anything else unless we run out of crappie
Fried crappie, makes a pretty good sammich !

grin
I like them best scaled and fried whole. I usually fillet them and fry because my wife has trouble with bone in fish. Either kind I put in a gallon zip lock,season with Tony Chacheres More Spice,Black Pepper, Onion and Garlic powder. Shake to coat then shake in Martha White Yellow Corn Meal mix. Fry in deep fat till they float and I like the outside color. I usually fry some crinkle cuts and Hush puppies to go with them.
Whether it be crappie, catfish or walleye I like it filleted, soaked in a bottle or two of beer than shook in a bag of Louisiana fish fry or homemade cornmeal/flour mix. Fried in hot grease.

Cut some homemade French fries and shake em in same meal mix.

Maybe shake a little Franks Red Hot on the fish right before consuming.

Rinse down w 🍺 🍺!!

Ant whey you like! They as good as walleyes.
Filleted and fried. Louisiana brand has been a favorite the last few years.

Haven’t tried the Andy’s that CK mentioned but I’m going to look for it.
Filleted, skinned rolled in Louisiana fish fry breading (Cajun) then let them sit for 15-20 minutes before frying (makes a better crust IMO). Deep fry till they float. Sometimes I'll take flour tortillas, diced tomatoes, sliced avocados and lettuce and make crappie tacos.
Filleted, coated with Andy’s Red and fried. Hush puppies would be a welcomed side.
I can’t believe there hasn’t been a Bass O Matic link

Flour/shore lunch fried in oil
https://www.amazon.com/Andys-Fish-B...&hvtargid=pla-943906214563&psc=1
My favorite way is somebody else cooks it. And I eat it.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
What's your favorite way to cook/eat Crappie? Whole (cleaned/scaled)? Fileted? What batter do you like for frying?

laffin

Your last question pretty much states the only option for cooking crappie to me... it don’t matter what the method of preparation is, they always end up The same way, in the skillet frying!
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

laffin

Your last question pretty much states the only option for cooking crappie to me... it don’t matter what the method of preparation is, they always end up The same way, in the skillet frying!

You just know there’s someone that bakes them with the eyeballs still in.
Fried with some hush puppies and cold slaw
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I filet anything big enough to keep in the boat.

Crusteaze makes dry batter mix. I add milk and egg. Dip filets and deep fry.

That mix is my preferred crappie mix

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back of the truck

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

throw in some cole slaw and beer
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Fried with some hush puppies and cold slaw

YUMMM!
Hot outta the oil.
Fillet, cut up into chunks.
Soak in egg, toss into a bowl of crushed cornflakes, drop into a pan with 1/2” of coconut oil.
Fry 4 minutes a side.
Layem on a paper towel to drain, sprinkle some salt and fight off the rest of the family.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

laffin

You just know there’s someone that bakes them with the eyeballs still in.

Filets are good broiled with some butter and salt/pepper. Ain't about to mess with cooking them whole. Too much fiddle fugking with skin and bones.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Filets are good broiled with some butter and salt/pepper. Ain't about to mess with cooking them whole. Too much fiddle fugking with skin and bones.

Do you skin nookie before you approach it too?
You almost got it right....you fried them up nice, you had hush puppies, even had the Cole slaw......

Where were the [bleep] GRITS GOTDAMIT?
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Filet fried in corn meal with hush puppies and sweet tea!

Like that except with beer!
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Do you skin nookie before you approach it too?

Well, I usually skin the clothes off it, ya fuggin' dry humper.
Give them to a neighbor.
Crappie, 'gills, yellow perch, and walleye get the same treatment:

Fillet and then cut up into "chicken nugget" sized chunks.

Have a gallon ziplock with Dot's Pretzel Crumble ready and throw the chunks into the pretzel mix

whip together 3 eggs and ~2 tbsp of sour cream

dredge chunks through the eggs/sour-cream

Have a shallow bowl also full of Dot's Pretzel Crumble, dredge Dot's/egg/sourcream coated chunks through the Dot's one more time

Have your favorite frying oil in a deep-fryer @ 350-375, Never more than cover the bottom of the basket 1-layer deep.

Fry for 2-2.5min, 90 seconds for the thin belly pieces.
Fillet and fry
© 24hourcampfire