Home
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Freedom phone - 07/20/21
Has anybody had any experience with these phones? Supposedly an uncensorable alternative to Apple and Google based smart phones. $500.00. My old I-phone 6 (I think) is starting act a little strangely and I'm starting to anticipate having to replace it.

https://freedomphone.com/
Posted By: rte Re: Freedom phone - 07/20/21
I just saw the ads for this just a few days ago.

I haven't formed an opinion as yet.I'll seek the advice of a friend who is a cyber geek.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Freedom phone - 07/20/21
I would like to see an unlocked smart phone running on something like Linux that doesn't go through Apple or Google services. All I need is calls, texts, email and Internet.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
If any of you guys hear or experience anything definitive, please let me know. I'd rather not patronize big tech any more than I have to.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I would like to see an unlocked smart phone running on something like Linux that doesn't go through Apple or Google services. All I need is calls, texts, email and Internet.

Being developed right now. Few years away yet.
Posted By: papat Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
Middle son just got a new phone. A google pixal for the superb camera. He then sent it away to have it de googled. Nothing left on it with their crap.
Originally Posted by papat
Middle son just got a new phone. A google pixal for the superb camera. He then sent it away to have it de googled. Nothing left on it with their crap.

Where'd he send it? Is that something that can be done locally?
Posted By: KFWA Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
The Daily Beast noticed the Freedom Phone looks strikingly similar to a budget smartphone from a Chinese vendor called Umidigi. The device is called the Umidigi A9 pro, and you can buy it on the Chinese e-commerce site AliExpress starting at $119 or on Amazon for $179

Finman later told The Daily Beast that the Freedom Phone was indeed sourced from Umidigi, a company that’s based in Shenzhen, China.

It runs a customized version of Android which they call FreedomOS but is a freeware OS called LineageOS and the app store seems to be a rebadged Aurora Store.

So its a $120 Chinese phone with freeware that has been renamed, some custom apps loaded on it and then sold for $499. It is closely tied to Google and what makes its "free" from Google is that its configured in a way that Google cannot do updates to the OS to fix bugs. I would guess that the FreedomOS will get updates when LineageOS has updates.

That doesn't make it a bad phone, but I would differently consider other options.
Thanks for that info, KFWA. Looks like I'm going to be dealing with an undesirable vendor any way I turn. Perhaps papat's son's approach is as good as any.
Posted By: papat Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

He sent it to a guy in California. Get ahold of him thru Brax.me. He is also on youtube. Search for Brax. Son said it cost around $120. If it be worth it to you it is a way to go.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
I won't be buying a new phone until 5G is pretty standard everywhere and prices in the $500 range.

I think that should be the end of next year.
Posted By: DMc Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

He sent it to a guy in California. Get ahold of him thru Brax.me. He is also on youtube. Search for Brax. Son said it cost around $120. If it be worth it to you it is a way to go.

Thank you for sharing this.
Posted By: DMc Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
KFWA is THE man! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Awesome.
Posted By: ERK Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
I’m sure China would never put in anything to track or listen to you..LOL
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
It's probably android, and it's not the phone but the applications we use that are the security issue. It looks like a interesting start once someone verifies what's actually on it.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by ERK
I’m sure China would never put in anything to track or listen to you..LOL

Or the FBI…
Posted By: ERK Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
Which is a bigger threat?
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Freedom phone - 07/21/21
The feds recently ran a sting using “secure” phones sold by a false front company.
© 24hourcampfire