Home
Posted By: DMc The Beatles - 07/22/21
Read a thread the other day that I couldn't properly respond to due to time restrains, where several members were lambasting the Beatles.

I say they're the best rock group to have ever been formed. Here are two of my favorites.

Enjoy.

Posted By: DMc Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Posted By: boatboy Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Love the Beatles

A day without hearing the Beatles or pulling a trigger

A wasted day
Hank
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
We won't fight over the last album in the store!
You can have The Stones also!
More: Just for listening fun.

Posted By: dale06 Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Love the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, The Who, The Doors, and lots more great rock bands.
Posted By: dassa Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Wait. So you post that the Beatles are the greatest rock group ever formed, then start putting up videos of not the Beatles playing music?

Seems more like you're saying the Beatles happened to put out some of the greatest songs, but other people did those songs better. At last from my vantage point.
Posted By: hanco Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
I think the Stones are better, but what the fuuck do I know.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by DMc
Brought a tear to ol Grizz's eye... One of the first tunes I taught myself to play.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
DMc, which one of these is you?
[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]
Posted By: hatari Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by dale06
Love the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, The Who, and lots more great rock bands.

Me too. They all looked up to John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Without the Beatles, and Brian Epstein's management for the first half of their career, there would have been no British invasion, and none of those other bands would likely have made a world wide splash.
Posted By: hatari Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]

First orgasms!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
When I was "That", age I liked them.
Posted By: 673 Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Brings back memories of my long past older brother, very fond of the Beatles.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
They got better when they started smoking dope
Posted By: HitnRun Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Never has there been a band like the Beatles. You can like others more, but none can compare. No band was as influential and changed the music industry like the Beatles.

They formed in 1960, disbanded in 1970, a period of only 10 years, and still have outsold any other rock or pop band. They only toured from 1964-1966. Compare that to The Rolling Stones or any other band that has been together for decades.

Like them or hate them, no one comes close to the music they wrote and played .
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
First drum set, me trying to bang out the beat to Kansas City.

Some say Ringo was an inferior drummer. But Ringo you were always light years better than me.

Put that on your tombstone. πŸ‘πŸ»
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Spearhead of the British rock invasion they were. First tune I ever plucked on a guitar was House of the Rising Sun. Yowza!
Posted By: ingwe Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Say what you want about them or their politics etc. Talent the level of Lennon and McCartney only comes along every 400 years or so. We were privileged to live in a time when it came along.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Posted By: EdM Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Never cared for them however I am a fan of Pat Metheny.
Posted By: dakotakidd Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
For you Beatles fans. Give this movie a watch, pretty fun. Kinda a ode to the Beatles.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Never has there been a band like the Beatles. You can like others more, but none can compare. No band was as influential and changed the music industry like the Beatles.

They formed in 1960, disbanded in 1970, a period of only 10 years, and still have outsold any other rock or pop band. They only toured from 1964-1966. Compare that to The Rolling Stones or any other band that has been together for decades.

Like them or hate them, no one comes close to the music they wrote and played .

They put the β€œgroup sound” to rock and roll while all others were just individuals except for Bill Haley and The Comets before The Beatles.
Posted By: Steve Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Posted By: Morewood Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Sgt Pepper and the White Album were their Epiphany.

I remember being dumbfounded when I first got the White Album. I couldn't believe any group of musicians could switch gears like that.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
My mother was a fan of the Beatles and John Kennedy
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Say what you want about them or their politics etc. Talent the level of Lennon and McCartney only comes along every 400 years or so. We were privileged to live in a time when it came along.

This is fact and the reason why even musicians who are Beatle fans cannot replicate the sounds and musicianship they did with routine, simply because it requires every member of the emulator band to be capable of reproducing their part and that is as rare as rocking horse sheit,

They also generated more firsts, than any other band. They were innovators which is why their estates continue to accrue wealth and will after all 4 are gone, us too.

The Beatles wrote and sang songs, everyone else plays songs, digest that for a moment....... Stoned vs Beatles, what a joke, proven by the amount of people who would prefer to listen to a Stones LP with the backing tracks removed compared to the Beatles doing same.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
At least they did away with those haircuts, suits, and groovy boots when they 1st started out here in the states.

Scruffy hippy looking LSD tripping with the Yogi dude Beatles!!!
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Versus the nerd look Beatles aka euro fashion disasters when they came here at 1st.....
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
Posted By: gunzo Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Many that dislike the Beatles got sick of some of their pop the radio stations played endlessly &/or think that's all the Beatles could do.

The Beatles went on to prove they could write or play any damn thing & set many stages for the progression of rock.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

They also generated more firsts, than any other band. They were innovators which is why their estates continue to accrue wealth and will after all 4 are gone, us too.

Of course the firsts referred to here are not the #1 records they had as that could have even been greater, had they not competed with themselves for those #1 charted songs.

There were times the Beatles owned the top 5 or 6 positions on the pop chart, making it impossible to garner the most #1’s they are would likely have gotten had they not released so many hits at one time.
Posted By: ribka Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21

yep. Harrison was very talented too.
Posted By: ribka Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21

Harrison was an incredible guitarist and song writer
Posted By: grouseman Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Yes, greatest songwriting duo. And the creativity they brought to each song they recorded. I would say they were underrated as musical geniuses.
Posted By: skinnyjimmy Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Rocky Raccoon was the most hauntingly beautiful love song ever written.πŸ™ƒ
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
The Beatles were garbage and they were way overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!
In basic training, a couple of guys had radios, I listened to them for month's before I knew who they were.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
They put out some of the best rock music ever.
I remember this best, we had little sun, and no girls at all.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by DMc

A great rendition of a hauntingly beautiful love song, one of my early favorites.

The Beatles saw me through Jr. High and H.S. and While I’m no expert, I think they wrote some of the greatest melodies of any band since, aside from their instrumentation.

They all showed their talent as they went on beyond the Beatles, maybe particularly Paul with Wings. Check out the baseline he plays as he sings β€œSilly Love Song”.

We just started watching McCartney 3-2-1 on Hulu.
Posted By: hookeye Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Popular w the hipster kids these days

Dont like or dislike the Beatles
Much prefer Iron Maiden, Mortiis and Type O Negative

😎
Originally Posted by Morewood

Nice pick! Real fur coats on John & George. The tree huggers will be along any minute.
After the Beatles became popular, every music shop in America had a left-handed bass guitar.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
tupac shakur poems rose grew concrete
Posted By: Higginez Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
The Beatles and George Martin are to music AND stereo sound what Stradivarius was to the violin.

Perfect match of materials and talent came together to make something on a higher plane than what everybody else was making.

They changed art in such a remarkable way that we are still arguing over it 50+ years later.

It does not surprise me guys on 24HCF don't get it.
The joke back then, An intellectual is someone that can name all the supreme court justices, and none of the Beatles. laugh
Posted By: hookeye Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
GG Allin took things to a place nobody had been ( or should go LOL )
Originally Posted by Higginez
The Beatles and George Martin are to music AND stereo sound what Stradivarius was to the violin.

Perfect match of materials and talent came together to make something on a higher plane than what everybody else was making.

They changed art in such a remarkable way that we are still arguing over it 50+ years later.

D18
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
I think the real significance is, even after 50 plus years their songs still play well. Can even hear the lyrics.

Never forget hearing Sgt Pepper for the first time. First time my Dad told me to "Turn that cr$p down!"
Posted By: NVhntr Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21

Spot on observation. I still pull out one of their albums and am amazed at what they were doing way back then.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The joke back then, An intellectual is someone that can name all the supreme court justices, and none of the Beatles. laugh

Not fair! There's 9 of them.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
I’m not into that Rap Crap monkey music
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Spot on observation. I still pull out one of their albums and am amazed at what they were doing way back then.

With 4 tracks up until halfway through the White Album!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
They're pretty good. I thought Born to Be Wild was their best song.

[Linked Image from imagesvc.meredithcorp.io]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Clarkm Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Posted By: Stophel Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
I never could stand them... and that's not even considering them being a bunch of drugged-up commies. Add that, and I definitely can't stand them.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Hated them in 1966, still do.
Posted By: rong Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21

Killer cover
Even if you don't enjoy The Beatles ,you have to give credit for what they did for our music today.
Posted By: Stophel Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by rong

Even if you don't enjoy The Beatles ,you have to give credit for what they did for out music today.

Credit.... or blame.
A music major back at the time did not think so much of them, but, he was a music major.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21

The Beatles changed the world.
Listen to one or two of their albums every week.
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
I make no knock on them and felt that two or three of their recordings were very good. But - with no need to argue the issue - that remark about the level of talent every 400 years seems like a quite inexperienced posture in the realm of music.
Posted By: RPN Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Just to do your head in, the Sgt Pepper album was released closer to WW1 than today.
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Well - is it really "art" that they changed and that folks argue about? Yes, clever and innovators to a limited extent - but quite a bit of BeatllesMusicStereoHyperbole in that post. Some guys on the Campfire get all of it very well, but their knowledge, skills and taste get them to a different elevation. But, I would appreciate knowing about the Stradivarius level ultra-advanced stereo sound equipment they created/invented.
Posted By: rong Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by rong

Even if you don't enjoy The Beatles ,you have to give credit for what they did for out music today.

Credit.... or blame.

To each his own ,I guess. I say credit.
Posted By: moosemike Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by dale06
Love the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, The Who, The Doors, and lots more great rock bands.

Yup
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: The Beatles - 07/22/21
Elvis hated them. 😜
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I remember being dumbfounded when I first got the White Album. I couldn't believe any group of musicians could switch gears like that.

I like Abbey Road a lot too
Originally Posted by ribka

Harrison is my favorite
Posted By: Higginez Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by CCCC
Well - is it really "art" that they changed and that folks argue about? Yes, clever and innovators to a limited extent - but quite a bit of BeatllesMusicStereoHyperbole in that post. Some guys on the Campfire get all of it very well, but their knowledge, skills and taste get them to a different elevation. But, I would appreciate knowing about the Stradivarius level ultra-advanced stereo sound equipment they created/invented.

It does not surprise me that you misunderstood my comment about stereo sound just like it doesn't surprise me that I mentioned George Martin and the OP replied "D18" which is a Martin guitar mostly unrelated to the subject.

Hyperbole? No, the Beatles did a lot more for modern music than a Strad ever would, but I was trying to paint a picture for the old crusty guys on the fire. smile
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
They were way over rated. Just read the lyrics to Yellow Submarine. It is just garbage.
I think by the time they wrote that song, they were so big, that they deliberately wrote garbage just to see if they could sell it. Sort of a joke on the entire world. And they did sell it!
Yellow Submarine was so popular they made a movie from it.

Don't get me wrong they were a great group and made some great music, and they also made millions selling garbage like Yellow Submarine.
Posted By: boatboy Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by ribka

George is/was my Favorite

Hank
Posted By: jackmountain Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
They got better when they started smoking dope

And even better when they started dropping acid.
Not really.

The Yellow Submarine album was them appeasing contractual obligations with songs that didn't make the cut on other projects as well as George Martin piecing together other work to try and fill the obligations.

They did not make a movie from it either as the movie came before the soundtrack.

It's obviously [bleep].
Posted By: gunzo Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Not chit lyrics, or maybe? but consider the times & mindset of the day. Borderline getting booted of the air, everywhere. In some locations it did.

Writing, Saying/singing a message that nearly got banned. Tricky, talented IMO. And, a pretty neat song. Shook things up at the time, another era. And, who in rock used a Sitar? The Stones did, the Doors as well, but,,,,,,,,,, the Beatles led that as well.

Posted By: Reba Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
NEVER liked any of it!
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
What would it take to reunite the Beatles?

Two bullets
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
I prefer the classic country myself

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: auk1124 Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
I kinda like R&B. Ribs n Bacon.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Ugh.....The Beatles. They were the first boy band. So, they got that going for them.

Give me The Who and to hell with Mcartney and Lennon.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I like Abbey Road a lot too

Absolutely.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
"Band on the Run" was on the jukebox at my high school hangout and I got laid to it more than once...so props for that!
But...my favorite by far of any of the Beatles was Harrison with The Traveling Wilburys...just freaking instant classic. A REAL quote "supergroup"!

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ugh.....The Beatles. They were the first boy band. So, they got that going for them.

Give me The Who and to hell with Mcartney and Lennon.

Yeah, them and Menudo were on the same level for sure....

I never believed Pete Townsends story about the kid pics on his computer, so there's that.

Harrison was my favorite, Journeyman and I'd have to agree on the Traveling Wilburys.

Posted By: Journeyman Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Can you believe Roy, George and Tom are all gone...FARK...I'm feeling my age more every day...
Posted By: HawkI Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Hordes of pubescent screaming girls and a handful of male fans sure sounds like Menudo, New Kids, Backstreet, The Villiage People, Hermans Hermits, Chad and Jeremy etc. to me.
Pete was a fan too, so there is that.

The Beatles got big because everything else on the radio at that time was schidt from the 50's or phugging Petula Clark....
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by CCCC
It does not surprise me that you misunderstood my comment about stereo sound just like it doesn't surprise me that I mentioned George Martin and the OP replied "D18" which is a Martin guitar mostly unrelated to the subject. Hyperbole? No, the Beatles did a lot more for modern music than a Strad ever would, but I was trying to paint a picture for the old crusty guys on the fire. smile
You may be giving yourself too much credit - maybe dilettante gloating caused you to miss the twist of your nose. The "stereo equipment" line was a silly zinger just for you. I figured that you were trying to talk about studio manipulation when you said "stereo sound". Well - even without your overblown hyperbole many others and I understood a lot of what Martin and the boys were doing in studio with their dubs, retrogrades and inversions - assessed it by merely listening - in the 1960s. When did you first do such analysis?

You seem stuck on that Strad idea when it comes to "modern music" - so what is your definition of "modern music"? Do you mean rock, or pop, or the swing into disco - musical shows, or rap etc. Please describe. What do you call the stuff performed by really disciplined and highly accomplished musicians - with deep technique - like the ones who actually play a Strad? Do you mean that your Beatles did more for "modern music" than the "modern" composers who have written some of the most intellectually stimulating and artistically meaningful stuff since 1900 - like Schoenberg and his students Webern and Berg with the dodecaphonic method , or maybe Stravinsky or Babbitt, or Persichetti, or Corigliano? Just how high did those Beatles soar and how much true art did they create? Were those studio tricks on a higher plane than Itzak on a Strad playing the Bach Chaconne? I like some of the Beatles stuff - but the whole idea seemed rather trite - thus the term hyperbole.

Wrong - I did not misunderstand your comment about "stereo sound" - I did not understand it at all in the context you wrote. I think I understand "stereo" and probably understand "sound" as with frequencies striking the tympanum - but, since it is so central to your praise of the Beatles, please explain what you mean when you say "stereo sound" in your OP. Thanks.
Way to walk back your misunderstanding.

Stereo sound equipment they created?

Ha!
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Way to walk back your misunderstanding. Stereo sound equipment they created? Ha!
That "stereo" joke was on you - and you still don't get it. Is there even any personal substance at all for your heavy hyperbole about the "greater than Strad" business? You have the opportunity to answer several pointed inquiries and show your substance. Why are you avoiding that?
The founders of psychedelic music?

he founders of heavy metal?

Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: The Beatles - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by gunzo
Not chit lyrics, or maybe? but consider the times & mindset of the day. Borderline getting booted of the air, everywhere. In some locations it did.

Writing, Saying/singing a message that nearly got banned. Tricky, talented IMO. And, a pretty neat song. Shook things up at the time, another era. And, who in rock used a Sitar? The Stones did, the Doors as well, but,,,,,,,,,, the Beatles led that as well.

This is an all-star song? Norwegian Wood? Yes the use of the sitar is just beautiful and very innovative. But the lyrics are all but gibberish. A guy making vague references to banging some gal. It is a long long way from Shakespeare.

And yet, Rolling Stone has this one rated as the 86th greatest song ever written. Yeah, right. Such is the power and the pull of the Beatles.
You can have all your "really disciplined and highly accomplished musicians - with deep technique."

Great music doesn't need any of it which hurts a lot of feelers as it has yours here.

Itzak Perlman and the dodecaphonic method? For fuggs sake!
Simon, I said it was an all star song? I'm forgetful as hell, but don't remember saying or even implying that. Just different & a bit tricky "AT THE TIME".

What groups, had songs to compare it to in the day, all pop, motown & bubble bum. Different times. But name some.

Does it compare with I want to fugg you like an animal by the 9 inch nails?? Hardly.

The 60's were the 60's. Vague references were all that got through the censors. My point. Any more to the point & it wouldn't have been played. BS bible belt standards for the FCC IMO, but that was the way it was.

How many TV couples with children were sleeping in twin beds, if they were even shown, or it was implied they even slept in the same room???? BS, way too innocent times. Another sign of wit & talent by the Beatles that they got a message across while working within the standards of the time.

Plays on words that let the listener form their own scenario, whereas video would have been added in the 80's.
Sorry Gunzo, I shoulda quoted Maestro CCCC.

Wasn't aimed at you.
I understand Higg, & I could have said what was needed in about 80% less words.

By todays standards, the 57 Belair drives like chit. A 64 SS 409 w/2 4's runs like chit. But both were the chit in there time & so were the Beatles.

Nostalgia aside, musicians to this day, still draw from some of the Beatles influences & tricks of the trade.
Posted By: smarquez Re: The Beatles - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Elvis hated them. 😜

The Beatles torpedoed Elvis. He was dead in the water until his comeback concert in '68. That was a hell of a concert.
Posted By: smarquez Re: The Beatles - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by auk1124
They're pretty good. I thought Born to Be Wild was their best song.

[Linked Image from imagesvc.meredithcorp.io]

Why are the two on the left holding hands.
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Beatles - 07/24/21
You can have all your "really disciplined and highly accomplished musicians - with deep technique." Great music doesn't need any of it which hurts a lot of feelers as it has yours here.Itzak Perlman and the dodecaphonic method? For fuggs sake!
Last time I checked, the status of "great music" was in the ears and taste of the listener. You know absolutely nothing about another persons "feelers" - as if some guy ranting hyperbole about a Beatle band is going to hurt anybody's feelings. Why not get off your Beatle soapbox for a minute and consider what you did back there - you can't explain why you said the silly things you did {?Strad?) - you can't even describe your concept of your term "modern music". The Beatles had their place and left their influence - we covered some of the best of it at the time - sorta knew it from the inside. Some good stuff - but not the hyperbolic effect that some like to rant.
P.S. Kindly tell us about the anapest - if the Beats used it - what it is and its potential effect on the listener - and in which part they put it - and in which tunes. Interested in your reply.
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Beatles - 07/24/21
Duplicate
© 24hourcampfire