Home
I saw BobBrown do that one time, but instead of a beaker he used Flave's åss.
Originally Posted by kingston
I saw BobBrown do that one time, but instead of a beaker he used Flave's åss.

^^^^^^^^^^
Kid fugker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Notice he throws the end of the chain downwards to start the motion. This imparts a force that produces momentum in the chain when, coupled with gravity pushing it down, is enough to overcome the force of gravity holding a small amount of chain lying atop the pile, yanking it up and out of the beaker.

In order for this to work, the beaker will have to be a certain height off the floor to allow enough mass in motion, you have to impart a certain amount of force to get things going, and the chain material needs to be of a certain density and stiffness.

Nothing magical about it, physics professors have been doing this for centuries to explain momentum and force.
Originally Posted by persiandog

I'm going to say that the explanation is connected to momentum. The falling portion of the chain is accelerating, and this naturally pulls the rest of the chain in the only direction it can go to follow, which is up. What keeps it from just going up enough to clear the lid is momentum, which pushes it further in the same direction it was traveling, which is up, before it's pulled down again. So there are forces going in two directions: one up (momentum) and one down, the latter being due to attachment to the chain links that are falling due to gravity. Momentum defeats gravity for a short distance, before it's defeated by the counter pull of the rest of the chain, to which it is attached, which has succumbed to the force of gravity.
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Notice he throws the end of the chain downwards to start the motion. This imparts a force that produces momentum in the chain when, coupled with gravity pushing it down, is enough to overcome the force of gravity holding a small amount of chain lying atop the pile, yanking it up and out of the beaker.

In order for this to work, the beaker will have to be a certain height off the floor to allow enough mass in motion, you have to impart a certain amount of force to get things going, and the chain material needs to be of a certain density and stiffness.

Nothing magical about it, physics professors have been doing this for centuries to explain momentum and force.

not true , if chain is pulled horizontally the same thing happens.
it's like when you put a chain on a bench, if there is ONE link hanging over the side, it will pull the whole damn thing onto the floor.

not true , if chain is pulled horizontally the same thing happens.

Momentum is momentum, if he imparts force to it horizontally, he will actually need less initial force than throwing it downwards, because he will have more chain extended out (therefore more mass) before arcing down.

Simple physics. I first saw this demonstrated by my high school physics teacher in 1985.

horizontal chain fountain(no sound)

Like i said, the chain has to be a certain density AND STIFFNESS. Try it with a sisal rope, it won't work.

It's no different than throwing a ball into the air. You impart enough force to overcome gravity. The momentum of the moving mass of chain imparts enough force to over come gravity (for a bit).
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Like i said, the chain has to be a certain density AND STIFFNESS. Try it with a sisal rope, it won't work.

It's no different than throwing a ball into the air. You impart enough force to overcome gravity. The momentum of the moving mass of chain imparts enough force to over come gravity (for a bit).

2 scientists in 2014 tried to explain it and is still open to debate !!

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspa.2013.0689

Well, that demonstrates that there's more going on than I accounted for in my model. There must be some other explanation as to why it's being drivin in a direction perpendicular to the support surface, i.e., opposite of the force of gravitation.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Well, that demonstrates that there's more going on than I accounted for in my model. There must be some other explanation as to why it's being drivin in a direction perpendicular to the support surface, i.e., opposite of the force of gravitation.

effect of gravity can be eliminated , if one end of chain is pulled from right to left and same thing is observed on the table.
Cause and effect.
The principle has other applications, too.

definitely momentum it is the length of the little rods and the light weight of the balls..
interestingly at the center of mass of hose little balls there is no physical mass..
As long as the center of gravity of the length of beads outside the jar is below the surface of the remaining string inside the jar, the gravitational force down on the length outside the jar will be greater than the gravitational potential to overcome lifting the string from inside the jar.
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
As long as the center of gravity of the length of beads outside the jar is below the surface of the remaining string inside the jar, the gravitational force down on the length outside the jar will be greater than the gravitational potential to overcome lifting the string from inside the jar.

why does it lift?

why does it lift?

There’s a certain amount of torque that’s being applied to the dangling section coming from the jar as each bead rounds that turn. Think of each bead section as a tiny fulcrum and as it rounds that turn it’s yanking on the section coming up from the jar. As the length dropping gets longer, the downward gravitational force gets larger and that torque increases causing an upward “whipping effect “.

why does it lift?

The chain follows the path of least mechanical resistance as dictated by its structure.
I hate taking engineers fishing.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I hate taking engineers fishing.

LOL
It all started with the slinky
You dumb flucks - everyone knows it's due to sorcery.
Why so quick to discount gravity? Along with momentum, gravity is an important component as it provides potential energy. Even the "horizontal" chain video experiences a loss of potential energy. That is, we are expending energy to overcome losses due to the motion of the chain. Show me a video of a chain being slung from one end of a flat table to another and not onto the floor as in the later video.

Another effect of gravity is that for a dropped object, up to a point, it's velocity increases over time. Gravity causes acceleration. However, since we are talking about a chain the leading end of the chain cannot move any faster than the trailing end. I would posit that the higher the beaker is held the faster it will empty. I doubt that the beaker would empty if it was setting on the floor no matter how hard (within reason) the initial tug. That is, the greater the change in potential energy the higher the steady-state velocity (and likely the higher the lift).

Why does it lift? Hmm... This type of chain doesn't bend ninety degrees between adjacent beads. To make the turn it has to "rainbow" For the beaker, the chain must turn 180 degrees (up out of the beaker then turning down). For the "horizontal" the chain must turn 90 degrees. Since both ends of the chain are traveling at the same velocity, the trailing end coming out of the beaker has a certain momentum due to its velocity in turn due to the change in potential energy. To change the direction (momentum) takes force over time due to energy). The higher the velocity, the higher the lift(?).

Also, consider a siphon hose. Ignoring losses, all that really matters is that the outlet is lower than the inlet. In between, the hose can be at any height either below or above the end points. Other than the difference in the endpoints, all the other force and momenta differentials at the various elevations cancel out. I believe we have a similar situation with the beaded chain. However, as an aside, in this case the "fluid" in motion is not constrained by the hose and can get "squirrely" as observed.

The preceding not worth $0.02.

why does it lift?

I am going to say "lateral acceleration".

A body in motion tends to stay in motion. Any change in direction is lateral acceleration.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

As the direction of motion of the chain is changed from horizontal to vertical, there is an equal force directing the chain to continue horizontally as there is to accelerate it downward.

That apposing force eventually lifts a section of the chain.

Prediction: Barring any resistance, the faster the chain falls, the higher the arc.

It reminds me of setting siphon tubes to irrigate 40 acres of corn.
Man, that's a tough one.

If it was me, I'd ask Wabi !

wink
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
You dumb flucks - everyone knows it's due to sorcery.

russians
As Idaho said, the effect is analogous to siphoning. The downward acceleration of the chain that's below the level of the stored chain causes the stored part to rise so it can clear the rim of the container. The greater the mass of the falling chain (length) the harder it pulls on the stored chain, and therefore, the higher the stored chain initially rises.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As Idaho said, the effect is analogous to siphoning. The downward acceleration of the chain that's below the level of the stored chain causes the stored part to rise so it can clear the rim of the container. The greater the mass of the falling chain (length) the harder it pulls on the stored chain, and therefore, the higher the stored chain initially rises.

then how do you explain when chain is pulled horizontally?
again: equal and opposite forces

There is as much force pushing up on each chain link as it changes direction as there is pulling down.

Each chain link would continue out on a parabolic arc, just like a bullet. Except they are tied to the falling links below.

As the links are deflected from that parabolic arc, that energy goes to push the links in the opposite direction of acceleration. Thus the lift.

Newtonian Physics: 10'th grade High School
[quote=New_2_99s]Man, that's a tough one.

If it was me, I'd ask Wabi !

;

That's over my pay grade.

High school physics was of the few, few, classes I got a A in. laugh

We studied more practical problems.
I wonder what it would look like in slow motion if the chain were coiled up inside the jar. You can see that the chain on the table is setup in a zig zag pattern. Would it look like a tornado?
© 24hourcampfire