Home
Taking the wife on a trip to visit some good friends in Southwestern Montana that is long overdue. I've worked it out to fly into Jackson Hole for 1 night then 2 nights at Yellowstone Lake before going on to friends place. I know its not a lot of time but what are the must see things in Yellowstone if I only have 2-3 days to do it?? Thanks in advance.
I took the family out there a few years ago. We got a tour guide to drive us around, show us the sites and tell us the stories. It was money well spent.
Hand feed the bears and pet the buffaloes
The Lamar Valley was always our favorite camping area due to seeing critters. Bring some optics, pull over, eat lunch and just scan for animals. Some animals will be seen all day, but mornings and evenings can bring bear and wolf sightings.
Check out the tours, in the old yellow buses, if offered. Some of them are very interesting and the prices are reasonable. There's a lot to see there just driving around. Have fun
See Old Faithfull, eat at the Lodge, View the falls of the Yellowstone and go to the Dragon's Mouth.
Beartooth highway,

Originally Posted by WhiteTrash

Yikes...
Originally Posted by Lonny
The Lamar Valley was always our favorite camping area due to seeing critters. Bring some optics, pull over, eat lunch and just scan for animals. Some animals will be seen all day, but mornings and evenings can bring bear and wolf sightings.

This ^^^^^^

The Lamar Valley has more wildlife that is viewable from the road than any other part of the park we have found. Bears, both black and grizzly, plus wolves and elk can be seen for the road with good optics, binoculars and a spotting scope with tripod would be great. Each trip we have taken to the Lamar Valley, total of 2, we have seen a grizzly bear guarding an elk kill and trying to fend off a pack of wolves, it was very interesting.
^^^^This.

Go past Lamar a little way to Ice Box Canyon and check out the Mountain Goats on the cliffs with your binos.

U have reservations at the Park ??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Download the “Gypsy app”, allow location access and it will tell you information as you arrive at different areas. It’s about $10. I recommend Old Faithful Inn, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and the Lamar valley. Since your staying at Lake Hotel you are already in an area known for grizzly sightings.
When driving from Jackson to YNP turn left at Moose junction to enter Grand Teton National park. It’s worth the extra time. Leave out early to view more wildlife.

Enjoy it’s a beautiful area!
Originally Posted by old_boots

Yikes...

I remember this as a kid in the late 70's.
It was what people did back then.

Better yet, just watch some other dumbazz do it! laugh

In 1957 at Yellowstone, I had an excellent front row seat watching some imbecile with no shirt running for his life for about a half mile after he tried approaching 2 small bear cubs. The dude failed to see Momma Bear in the brush about 20 yards away and the chase was on. Of course, my Dad turned it into an object lesson with " Well, son, that's why you don't feed the bears." The look of horror on the dudes face is still etched in my brain while he was turning and burning trying to get away from Mama. Still funny to this day.
Cody on the way out also

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'd hate to miss Grand Prismatic

With only 2 days You'll do a lot of driving and want to pic your spots and activities.
If you can swing it…. This is an awesome place to visit, just south of Jackson.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/btnf/recarea/?recid=71639

They’ll come right up to you.

The funniest [bleep] is that when the buffalo came up to the passenger size my wife quickly rolled up her window in a panic …. As if the glass was going to make a difference.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

THIS ^^^

mrs slumlord is at Acadia now, had to get reservations and pay a permit fee, get a window hanger thingy for the mirror. crazy

And have to arrive at the gate at your appointed slot time.

Ya know....because of the covid

yes I have reservation at Jackson Hole for 1 night then at a lodge at Yellowstone lake for 2 nights.
Just north of Jackson in the Tetons is a Jenny lake stop and do the boat tour.
For a first time, and you've got the cash, apparently, I'd try a guided bus tour, preferably in an open-top. Otherwise, you're going to get traffic, traffic, traffic. At least with the bus OPEN TOP you can rip off a few pictures. Book a trip to Lamar from the lake lodge first thing, if that skunks you can cancel a second day of, say, Geyser Tour. If it's good, at least someone else will be doing the driving with a PLACE TO PARK.
I suppose seeing Old Faithful is mandatory because of its iconic status. I was through there on a bicycle in 2019 and found it somewhat underwhelming. I ended up staying there long enough for three eruptions while waiting for some thunderstorms to pass and it did become more impressive after you witness the regularity of it. Other than that it was crowded and the food available in the local packed restaurant was absolutely horrible.

Likewise, maybe it’s just me but I wasn’t all that impressed with the other geysers, mudpots etc. What did impress me were the numerous hot springs around the shore of the lake, it really gets across that you are sitting on a giant hot stove.

Due to time constraints and lack of phone service to make arrangements I didn’t have the time to get up to the Lamar Valley, but my cousin and his wife were there some years back and saw wolves and a grizzly in a stand-off over a carcass.

Two days? I would suggest one day for a tour and another devoted to just spotting wildlife.

In 2019 though there were bars showing on my iPhone cell service was practically non existent, I was told due to demand vs towers available. Keep that in mind if you’re planning on making calls while away from the lodge.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
For a first time, and you've got the cash, apparently, I'd try a guided bus tour, preferably in an open-top. Otherwise, you're going to get traffic, traffic, traffic. At least with the bus OPEN TOP you can rip off a few pictures. Book a trip to Lamar from the lake lodge first thing, if that skunks you can cancel a second day of, say, Geyser Tour. If it's good, at least someone else will be doing the driving with a PLACE TO PARK.

Some great suggestions many of which I will likely try. The guided bus sounds interesting. Traffic in Yellowstone sounds disappointing. Doe anyone recommend a pre purchased pass or anything like that? Any other ideas to make the trip smoother??
We’ll be there most of the next 6 days, and the surrounding area. My brother in law lives in Bozeman and his girlfriend is pumped to take us around the park. If you asked this question next week I’d have all kinds of advice but it’s my first time out here.
Tag
I showed some folks the Park in one day a few years ago. Hit the Gardiner gate before sun-up and hit it again leaving at around 11:00 P.M. We didn't miss much. We didn't do it justice but the folks still remember it.
Lamar Valley early and late, and Geyser Basin on an all day run.

Don’t pass up the mud pots

Just because Aunt Susie is in a huffy huff to gorge on Sysco gravy n onions at the lodge, throw her a pack of crackers.
Originally Posted by 163bc

yes I have reservation at Jackson Hole for 1 night then at a lodge at Yellowstone lake for 2 nights.

Good deal......have a safe trip......

Don't feed the bears.......
Another vote for Lamar Valley if you like to watch buffalo. We were there in early June and the weather was great, but it may be a bit warm now just to go sit in the safe and watch u less early or late. I’ve heard the bugs can be bad this time of year as well

The Yellowstone Grand Canyon is beautiful, walk the path down to the falls, they are awesome
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I love the Lamar Valley. Lots of wildlife and used to be great fly fishing. Not sure about the fishing now, last time I was there the cutthroat populations were down. Still worthwhile though.
Pet a buffalo
Yep, what others have said, Lamar Valley. Camera and binocs needed. Some of the Asian tourists are entertaining as well. You'll see.
Just returned from 5 days there yesterday. Very,very crowded! Lots of traffic and no parking. Attendance this year had exceeded their busiest year ever a week ago. Book a yellow bus tour if you can. They were sold out for us. A boat tour on Lake Yellowstone is also nice. Again you must book in advance. The road closure between Lake Yellowstone and Lamar makes for a very long trip around through Mammoth. 3 hours or so each way. May be longer if you encounter a bison jam!
Very limited dine in options available. I waited in line 2 and a half hours for a table at the Old Faithful Inn. The Lake Hotel Dining room is only available for hotel guests and sold out for the year.You can get on a waiting list but that closes down very fast. If you are staying in the Hotel itself you can dine in for breakfast if you are early.
All other dining in the park was carry out. All had long lines.
Also very smokey due to wild fires in Idaho and Montana.
Tag
Take a spotting scope and binoculars, they will be used a lot in Lamar valley.

drover
© 24hourcampfire