Home
Posted By: 79S 1000 yards - 07/23/21
How many on here ever shot a legit 100yd match, I'm not talking shooting a chunk of steel the size of your garage door either?Starting last year my kiddo (now 21) started shooting 600yd matches with me. I built her a AR15 in a 224 Valkyrie, using a 20 inch AR performance barrel, I cant remember the upper Anderson I think with an Anderson lower. Float tubes I have no idea who made them something the LGS had for 90 bucks and an A2 stock I picked up at a gunshow for $10 bucks. Akwolverine here on 24 hour squared me up with the most important part the mil/mil 6X SWFA scope.

My daughter used this setup last year for the 600yard shoots and was able to attain master designation through the NRA in the AR tactical class. This year the club bought 7 shot marker and put on a 1000yard match up in talkeetna, My daughter signed up and was excited to shoot this match. I couldn't go even though I'm retired I still have to slum it in another job to be able to survive in Alaska. Anyhow back to the story. I initially built her a 6ARC to use for this match but man I'm having issues with that thing being consistent, one day it will shoot great group the next day not so great groups. So that project has been shelved until I buy a better barrel.

Few days before the shoot I took my daughter up to Talkeetna to the 1000yd range and had her shoot so we could get DOPE for her scope, Caveat to all this I did not read the NRA rule book very well and I was under the impression everyone including F class shooter used standard 1000 Long range target. We got good data for her rifle and she was pretty confident shooting out to a 1000yds. What was funny some guys their trying like hell to hit the steel target at 1000 and they hit once out several shots.

That night I pulled over 100 bullets from factory federal brass and dumped the powder so she have all new cases. I/we been using cases for the 600 yard shoots and its all on its last leg necks splitting etc these cases have 5-6-7 firings. This match all new cases for her, the load we use is known as the red rocket load. 24.5gr of H4895, with a 80gr ELD-M. I'm getting avg 2855 fps from this load all at mag length as well. Anyhow Brian Litz tested this bullet and found the avg B.C is actually .505 not the .487 that Hornady advertises. So her come up at 1000yds with this load is 9.4-9.5 mils 2 mph winds right or left .7mil adjustment.

This match was from this past Sunday, so that morning I get home and help her get all her stuff loaded up, momma is driving up later to cheer her on. I work nights so I get updates from her through out the day and she told me she is shooting on a f class target huh?? So I pull the NRA rule book up and sure enough they have a F class LR target lol. Yeah I'm not very bright sometimes. So the target the X ring is 5 inches, 10 ring 10 inches, 9 ring 20 inches, 8 ring 30 inches etc. She's doing this with an AR15 and a 6X swfa scope, if any of you ever seen an f class rifle we are talking 3-4k worth of equipment. At the end of the day my kiddo shot a 511 score out possible 600. Avg 8.6 so keeping them all in the 30 inch ring. Here are some pictures my wife took.

Targets are down their
[Linked Image]

Oh there they are
[Linked Image]

AR15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: deflave Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
That’s good shooting 79.

Congrats to your daughter.
Posted By: 79S Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Forgot to add the winds really picked up in the afternoon at one point the 600yd flag was blowing hard right
Originally Posted by deflave
That’s good shooting 79.

Thanks Deflave she’s pretty happy.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Seems like a little more scope magnification might be beneficial
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Seems like a little more scope magnification might be beneficial

So you shot 1000yd matches? If so what scope do you use?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Way to go, young lady
I do have a higher magnification scope for her a vortex viper pst but my kid does not like MOA. She tried it said nope I want to use mil/mil. I told her I should’ve put a 10x on, but she did have my 224 Valkyrie their as a backup and it has a 10x on it. She apparently felt just fine using that straight 6.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Congrats to your girl, and good on you for working with her!

I spent years shooting NRA highpower. Much more across the course than long range but I did mange to make HM LR. Most matches then were shot with open sights with a few any sight thrown in. And all with a sling.

I had to quit about the time F class was getting started. Rotten spine.

It looks like participation in traditional NMC matches is falling and F class growing?

Build her a good gun, the ladies I competed with were all very good shooters. Most of them started out without any bad habits unlike some of the young boys who just knew it all.
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I spent years shooting NRA highpower. Much more across the course than long range but I did mange to make HM LR. Most matches then were shot with open sights with a few any sight thrown in. And all with a sling.

It looks like participation in traditional NMC matches is falling and F class growing?

Build her a good gun, the ladies I competed with were all very good shooters. Most of them started out without any bad habits unlike some of the young boys who just knew it all.

Thanks that’s the plan as of now build her a good f class rifle. You are correct f class is really growing and traditional nmc are dying a slow death. I tell you slung up for 20rds slow fire in the prone my back is screaming, with about 5 rds to go I just don’t care and want to get it over with lol.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
That is some impressive shooting by your daughter, and her platform is pretty spartan compared to what I see most shooting from at those competitions! Trying to get comfortable on some rocks ain't easy! I do not think I could even get decent eye relief or sight picture with this old body in the prone anymore!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
79S;
Good morning sir, I hope that all else in your world is going according to plan.

Thanks for the thread and photos and please send along hearty congratulations to your daughter for that fantastic marksmanship! cool

Way, way back in pre-rangefinder days a few of us used to go up the mountain west of town and shoot rocks at what we estimated by the bullet drop to be 750yds. We knew our velocities as we had chronographs, but range finders weren't a thing in the late '80's.

Anyways, I still recall the wind blowing the bullets off several feet sometimes. We got to the point where we understood where to hold for drop, but my goodness those mountain breezes gave us fits.

That's a fine bit of shooting in my view and admittedly limited and dated experience.

Thanks again and all the best to you all.

Dwayne
Posted By: MARCEL Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
WoW that's awesome ! congrats to her
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks that’s the plan as of now build her a good f class rifle. You are correct f class is really growing and traditional nmc are dying a slow death. I tell you slung up for 20rds slow fire in the prone my back is screaming, with about 5 rds to go I just don’t care and want to get it over with lol.

Yep, a hot heavy coat in NC summertime will end it for some before they get started.

Help her get all the range time possible with what you have for now. Good wind skill with a good rifle will beat poor wind skill with the most accurate rifle in the world.

Again, good on you for helping her get going.
And I'll add this, I didn't see a spotting scope in your pics, they are invaluable for doping the wind. A decent angled eyepiece with long eye relief and fairly low power. Don't have to be high dollar.
Posted By: Springcove Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
That is fantastic. Congratulations to your daughter. Nice shooting.

Kudos for you being a great dad.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
I shot F-TR mid and long range back in the day. 308 Palma chambered Pac-Nor bbl, savage 110 receiver, and so forth. Optics was Weaver T24 with 1/8 moa dot, fine wires.

Best 1k yard score at Lodi was 147-9x out of 150-15x possible. Shot the nat champs once at Lodi WI, fun. Common man shooting with the rock stars. Nice people.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Awesome shooting and control! Good job!
Posted By: TWR Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Scope magnification...

I don't shoot 1000 yard matches but we do shoot 1000 yards. These plates are 17" and both guns are Bergara 6.5 CM's, mine wears a 10x super chicken, my buddy's wears a 6x super chicken. Guess which is which.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Hint, magnification is not nearly as important as good form.

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Good stuff!

I never shot a 1000 yd match. With sights.
And I'll add this, I didn't see a spotting scope in your pics, they are invaluable for doping the wind. A decent angled eyepiece with long eye relief and fairly low power. Don't have to be high dollar.

I need to get her to read wind better, I need to print a cheat sheet for wind and heat mirage. I tell her to pay attention to the wind flags.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Springcove

This!
Posted By: beefan Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Daughters are pretty nifty creatures. Daughters that shoot with family are really special.

Good job 79S
Posted By: greydog Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
I shot "F" class early on and knew the originator, George Farquharson (The "F" stands for Farquharson) well. I found I enjoyed shooting with a sling much more so don't shoot "F" anymore. My first rifle was a Model 70 which I barreled to 6.5x55. It wore a 6-24 Weaver scope and I shot well enough with it that people thought I was a better shot than I was. What I was, I was lucky and the wind blew in my favour! We shot 900 meters which is just a few yards short of 1000 and, while I occasionally shot clean at all other ranges, I never managed to do it at 900. To shoot as well as your daughter did, with a 6X scope, is pretty darn good. I can almost guarantee, with 16 to 20X and some practice, she'll pick up forty points easily. GD
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by 79S
How many

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Springcove

This!

Agree. That is outstanding shooting, regardless of equipment. Kudos, to both of you!

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
What do you do about heat mirage? I've been wondering about that subject.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
I can’t do what she did. Not even close. Congrats to her!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Congratulations to your daughter! Great Shooting !
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
That really is good stuff!

Most of us on here would have a hard time beating her!
Posted By: kingston Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
Damn fine shooting!!!!!
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: 1000 yards - 07/23/21
That’s awesome.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
What do you do about heat mirage? I've been wondering about that subject.

You use it to your advantage to determine which way the wind is blowing downrange.
As long as your shooting position isn't absolutely flat on the ground at the same level as the target AND your scope isn't too magnified (someone above mentioned magnification), mirage is your friend and not a problem.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Very cool, 79S! Nice shooting!

Congrats to your daughter
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Awesome shooting and control! Good job!

This. Great story.
Posted By: Osky Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Congratulations to the young Lady and proud father.
She’s a shooter, that’s for sure.
Very special.

Osky
Posted By: ironbender Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Good on ya both!
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
When I was young I shot a lot of 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry, both Ohio matches and the Nationals. Time of flight is about 2 sconds and you need to be looking through your (defocussed) spotting scope to watch the mirage flow. That's how you dope the wind.

Today, at the Alliance Rifle Club about 1.5 hour South of Cleveland, we have about 10 firing points to 1000 yards.

When I shot, almost everyone used a 30-06 or, better still, a .300 H&H, with 190 grain Sierra Match Kings. F class had not yet been invented so we slung up and shot prone. I last shot there in 2015 but shot the 600 yard matches instead of 1000 yards.

.223s don't cut it around here at 1000 yards. You can't keep the bullets supersonic and when they transition to subsonic, usually at about 900 yards, there is an upset in direction.

I hope your daughter continues with this sport. It's fascinating.

I quit when i went to college but a few years later I went back abd shot the Leech (iron sight national championship). It's a 20-shot match. I had about 15 shots down with about 13 Vs (the V-ring was 20") when it suddenly occurred to me I might win the match. Well that kind of thinking is no good. The next shot was a 4 and after that i just didn't csre. I fired the rest right in the middle, though.
Posted By: 673 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
A very good read, thank you!
Posted By: gremcat Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
That’s really good for a .22 cal or any really. Last time I shot a friend’s F T/R gun at 1k it was raining at the target and not the line, lol. He shoots for Team USA. Originally a Mark 4 Leupold then a Nightforce NXS sticking to 20x on the high side for mirage. He was playing with maybe 208gr when they came out. It’s been 5-6 years since we spoke but likely advanced well beyond all that. I couldn’t afford to travel and compete then or I would’ve. Now, it’s an available time thing. Hope she keeps progressing. She already shoots better than I ever will.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
One of my goals is to shoot 1000 yards with enough time to shoot, sight, and adjust... repeatedly.

I used to shoot in the AKARNG competitions at Ft. Rich, and Camp Robinson AR. I shot at 600m with iron sights with a rack grade M-16. I won that particular AK match, and placed in the top 4 at nationals at Camp Robinson.

I'm not saying I was awesome, but I had a few "any given Sunday" days.

I REALLY want to test my skills with something better than a rack grade M-16 and iron sights.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Higginez

Absolutely...You’d never hear the end of it on how you got smoked with your custom bolt gun, by a girl with a carbine her daddy built on his kitchen table with a bunch of parts he traded for at a local flea market.

Shame would be your first name.

🦫

PS

Fine shooting by the kiddo
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I quit when i went to college but a few years later I went back abd shot the Leech (iron sight national championship). It's a 20-shot match. I had about 15 shots down with about 13 Vs (the V-ring was 20") when it suddenly occurred to me I might win the match. Well that kind of thinking is no good. The next shot was a 4 and after that i just didn't csre. I fired the rest right in the middle, though.

That was long ago. They quit using the 5V target in 1966.

I have shot 1000 yard matches several times over the years, including the Wimbledon, Leech, and Palma at Perry.

Leaving soon to shoot at Perry, across the course only. The NRA holds the Wimbledon and Leech at Camp Atterbury now.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Sweet!
Congrats to you both!

Have I shot at a 1000 yards?
Yes.

Am I a "1000 yard match shooter"?
Lol. Fugk and no.
I'm sitting here in the garage struggling to read a paint can. My blind azz would need to be in a 1000 yard barn to reliably hit the broad side. 😂
Posted By: 79S Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
For the record I haven’t shot one either 😁I’m good at finding excuses to miss them..
Posted By: MikeS Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Congrats to your daughter for giving it a go and you for getting her set up! If you ever get down here to Phoenix, look me up and we'll go out to Ben Avery to shoot at 1000. I may make you both use sling and irons with a .308 though : -)

See if you can get a copy of Nancy Tompkins' book on prone shooting. Lots of good info there.
Originally Posted by MikeS
Congrats to your daughter for giving it a go and you for getting her set up! If you ever get down here to Phoenix, look me up and we'll go out to Ben Avery to shoot at 1000. I may make you both use sling and irons with a .308 though : -)

See if you can get a copy of Nancy Tompkins' book on prone shooting. Lots of good info there.

Will have to do that, wife has family in Phoenix.
Posted By: MikeS Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Look forward to it. We can usually shoot LR 2 - 3 times a month. Maybe we'll get Chuck F. to join us...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Cool beans 79S,

Hope she keeps it going.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Excellent, congrats to you Both !!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
I’m just gonna add my voice to the chorus, this is pretty durned cool 😎
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Congratulations to your daughter! That's some fine shooting for her first time out on a 1000 yard F-Class target, especially shooting an AR. I'm in the more scope magnification camp though, mo bedder to see the scoring rings...
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Higginez

Absolutely...You’d never hear the end of it on how you got smoked with your custom bolt gun, by a girl with a carbine her daddy built on his kitchen table with a bunch of parts he traded for at a local flea market.

Shame would be your first name.

🦫

PS

Fine shooting by the kiddo

LOL!
I got thrashed my teenagers regular when I was trying to shoot service rifle matches. Some of them I coached......
Hard to beat young eyes with open sights.
I did love to see a young shooter "get it" after a little bit of coaching.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
How is she holding elevation?
The .223 has a reputation for not holding elevation very well at that distance, I guess it's a capacity issue. Do the larger .22 cases solve that?
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Nice shooting! Congrats to your daughter, and yourself.
Posted By: ribka Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I can’t do what she did. Not even close. Congrats to her!

x2 and with a .223 too boot. very impressive

Any chance she can get on a national team?
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
👍👍👍👍 good stuff man.

Never shot 1000 yd match.

800 to 1100 with a M2 on qual ranges.
Other than that.
600 yd kd ranges with A2,s
And 800 yd KD with old school m21,s.

Bout it for me.

Surprised they dont have wind flags it looks like.
Are they allowed at all???
Posted By: WhopperStopper Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
This entire thread has a fantastic read.

Congrats to your daughter and congrats to you for helping her along.

Hats off to you both..

WS
Originally Posted by renegade50
👍👍👍👍 good stuff man.

Never shot 1000 yd match.

800 to 1100 with a M2 on qual ranges.
Other than that.
600 yd kd ranges with A2,s
And 800 yd KD with old school m21,s.

Bout it for me.

Surprised they dont have wind flags it looks like.
Are they allowed at all???

They have wind flags at the 600yd line and looks like 1000yd line.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
How is she holding elevation?
The .223 has a reputation for not holding elevation very well at that distance, I guess it's a capacity issue. Do the larger .22 cases solve that?

224 Valkyrie shooting the red rocket. It’s all in the OP. 80gr ELD-M at 2855 FPS stays supersonic to about 1300yds, according to ballistic calculator. The shot marker said they were 1240-1270 at 1000yds.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Did a 1000 yard shoot once. Using a gallon milk jug. Ranges were 1000, 1500, and 1800 yards. 10 dollars for 10 shots. Wind was 20 plus mph that day. Out of all the shooters 1 guy hit at a 1000 on his 3rd shot. No one else including, me hit at a 1000 or beyond. I got to approximately 5 ft of the milk jug. That was the first time I ever had an opportunity to shoot that far. Before that the farthest I shot was 700 yards. I used a 308 win and 155 scenar with an LRHS scope.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 1000 yards - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Mike70560

I have shot 1000 yard matches several times over the years, including the Wimbledon, Leech, and Palma at Perry.

Leaving soon to shoot at Perry, across the course only. The NRA holds the Wimbledon and Leech at Camp Atterbury now.

Yeah it was in 1966. I think they changed to the 10X target right after that. They said the 5V target was too easy. The rings are even tighter for F-class.

There have been a lot of changes since then. One is acoustic targets. They place some microphones near the targets. These register the bullet strike position very accurately and transmit that to a laptop. The laptop calculates the score and plots the group. This eliminates "pit duty" and scoring for another relay. Should speed up the matches a lot.

With the NRA gradually pulling out of Perry for Camp Atterbury, the CMP has taken over the matches more and more.

Good luck at Perry. I don't shoot High Power any more due to arthritis. My club enters a team in the 200-300-600 yard team match plus the rattle battle.
Posted By: 79S Re: 1000 yards - 07/25/21

Yeah it was in 1966. I think they changed to the 10X target right after that. They said the 5V target was too easy. The rings are even tighter for F-class.

There have been a lot of changes since then. One is acoustic targets. They place some microphones near the targets. These register the bullet strike position very accurately and transmit that to a laptop. The laptop calculates the score and plots the group. This eliminates "pit duty" and scoring for another relay. Should speed up the matches a lot.

With the NRA gradually pulling out of Perry for Camp Atterbury, the CMP has taken over the matches more and more.

Good luck at Perry. I don't shoot High Power any more due to arthritis. My club enters a team in the 200-300-600 yard team match plus the rattle battle.

Our club has the shot markers you are talking about. Like you said no more pit duty.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: 1000 yards - 07/25/21

The CMP uses electronic targets on Viale for the CMP 2400 Championship. After that is over they go back to regular targets for the President’s Hundred and so on.

I have my own electronic target for practice, it has saved a lot of time at the range and is great for recording data.
Posted By: greydog Re: 1000 yards - 07/25/21
I have shot a few matches with the acoustic targets and really like the immediate feedback. Also, when the other relay is up, it makes being a spectator easier. GD
© 24hourcampfire