Home
Hello all.

A neighbor has a nice bald faced hornets nest she wants to remove. It’s only about chest high with an easy to reach entrance hole (we scouted it this evening).

I’d like to remove it well intact to put it on the wall. My plan to is spray if after dark but I do t want it to deteriorate due to the foam spray.

I have one we lightly sprayed (it was later on the year) that did fine but I’m not sure if this one will take more spraying since it’s active.

Any suggestions for a spray (or dust) that won’t deteriorate the nest?

I’ve seen the bee suit and bag trick with no sprays, bit I don’t have a bee suit…

Thanks for your help,

PigGuy
Wow
Slip a bag black trash bag over it and just tie it up, let em suffocate for a couple days. No chems
^^^^^^
Thanks for the replies - it’s in a shrub with multiple branches through it so I’m a bit concerned about the timing aspect - it’s not going to be a simple bag and twist because of the bush.
I suppose we could try multiple times with a bit of trimming each time but the homeowner may get tired of the visits…
Originally Posted by 375PigGuy
Thanks for the replies - it’s in a shrub with multiple branches through it so I’m a bit concerned about the timing aspect - it’s not going to be a simple bag and twist because of the bush.
I suppose we could try multiple times with a bit of trimming each time but the homeowner may get tired of the visits…

Sounds like you’re back to spraying or professional removal.
That’s what I’m thinking although I like the idea of bag and twist .

We have a good local DIY place nearby. I may go speak to them about less destructive sprays and or dusts

A strong dose of permethrin will kill them but my spray bottle won’t squirt as far as Raid wasp killer.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Slip a bag black trash bag over it and just tie it up, let em suffocate for a couple days. No chems

Great Idea.

Just don't get stung.
I don't know if you can smoke em like the honey bees, but I've seen it done on TV.
"Watch MOM! JUST like on TV!". 😲

The times I've pulled them down was after spray, if they were big keepers.
Bad thing to keep indoors though. That odor never fully goes away with the brands I've used. If you touch it, it gets on your hands.
Originally Posted by 375PigGuy

Some professional grade aerosol Pyrethrum is what you need. It’s not a foam. It’s a fogging aerosol.
Whitmire products, 2oz or 4oz Total Release push-button fogger.
Strong percent pyretheum. Instant knockdown.

AT NIGHT, drape a lightweight tarp big enough to cover the whole bush and set a couple of these foggers off under it.

Leave it draped through the next day, still let the sun overheat them.

Hop on Amazon get some Whitmire pyretrhuM total release foggers on the way via Prime

And if youre one of these amazon 78 year old boycott dipshîts, then goodluck with the dollar store Black Flag crap
If the nest is that big, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when someone tries to slip a bag over it. Good luck with this endeavor.

Kind of reminds me of the story of the mice deciding to put a bell around the neck of a cat.

Seriously though,
I've removed a lot of different wasp hives of various varieties, put them in clear lexon display containers for live educational displays, but don't recommend it as it is a high risk endeavor.
"Kids, don't try this at home.". 😉

HC
Thanks for the tip on the fogger Slumlord, that seems like a good plan. We have tarps / plastic and can check the local spot for the fogger tomorrow

HC - the last one we collected was late in the fall. After staying in babes for a couple of days only a couple of hornets were in the bag. The first morning after hanging in the house one was slowly crawling across the floor! Nest went back out for a couple of more days…
I’ve sprayed a lot of em being in the bug business. But we used to use our mazda pickup that had a camper topper over our 100gallon termite rig. Run the hose via sliding window into the cab with me, crack the window and drive up within 25ft of the nest and let em have it.

About 50/50 the nest would soak and tear into pieces.

But I was also hitting with a pretty good stream of 60 psi
I have no experience with this,but something tells me I’d wait till it got cold.Good luck…
In case this tidbit doesnt get mentioned

Try not to use a flashlight. They will go after that light at night. LOL

take some time, let your eyes get adjusted. Don’t have Karen the homeowner on the porch with the porch light on 40 ft away going “OMG OMG”
SL, That sounds like a slick rig to take them down, the keeping of the next part makes it harder to manage.

Bull, if it was mine waiting would be my course of action, but she wants it gone since it’s close to the front door
Waiting for Slumlord to tell someone to "hold my beer". smile

Y'all are braver than me. This has Darwin award written all over it.
Bag it up at night when all are snug in their beds.
Gentlemen,

I'm uniquely qualified to comment on this topic. I usually color well within the lines here on the campfire, but about this subject, well I don't believe there's another fella on the forum that has had his hands on as many of these as I have.
I had 15 live nests in my hands today. 636 of them last summer.

To the OP, If you want to preserve the paper nest your best bet is to remove all of the adults first. A Shop-Vac with extension tubes works well for this. They react to vibration and so simply bump the bush with a stick and they'll come storming out.

Bald Faced Hornets, If that's what these are, are a far-ranging species. Vacuuming to get all the adults may take a half an hour or more. You're welcome to send me a picture and I can positively identify the species for you.

The queen will not leave the nest. And keep in mind that the nest is currently full of larvae and pupae which are hatching out constantly. So once you finish vacuuming and you think you can cut the nest out you will need to then drop it into a chest freezer. Leave it in the freezer for several days, then take it outside and let it air out for a week or more in the heat. It will stink a bit during this process.

Wear all the protective gear you can during this removal. If you have a beekeeper friend borrow a veil and gloves.
Bald-faced hornets can sting multiple times and bite hard enough to draw blood. They can also squirt venom and so while you're working the nest keep your eyes slightly averted downwards.

Sprays, etc will degrade the paper nest capsule. Plastic bags will do the same.

Anyway contact me if you have any questions and I can walk you through it

First time I got stung, I would just break out the wrist rocket and roman candles

Bastids
12 gage and 9 shot.
Longarm, that’s a lot of paper. 👍

The larvae will continue to develop. I knew of a person that cut one down in late fall thinking all was froze out.

Not so, some were still ‘alive’ and he had about a dozen bugs in his man cave after hanging it up near his wood stove 🤦‍♂️
Great post.
Whatever you decide, try to get video. This might be a problem at night but could be featured in a Jackass movie. Or maybe win some funny video prize.

Just out of curiosity, what would a professional charge to deliver the bagged nest to your door? I wage war on these little beasts fairly often, but would be tempted to reach for the checkbook in a case like this.
Have you ever been stung by hornets? Other wasps and bumble bees are baby poo by comparison. That shop vac idea sounds interesting but I'm wondering where the operator positions to avoid the swarm. Surely you don't get them all at once as they come out? Don't some nests have more than one opening?
Single opening generally.
Intake below the nest entrance so that they can see the entrance upon flying in
Longarm, that’s a lot of paper. 👍

The larvae will continue to develop. I knew of a person that cut one down in late fall thinking all was froze out.

Not so, some were still ‘alive’ and he had about a dozen bugs in his man cave after hanging it up near his wood stove 🤦‍♂️

slumlord;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully the week was a good one for you.

What you said is our experience as well.

Buddy cut down a big nest one time in the fall and brought it into the house and hung it in the living room.

We were having coffee there shortly after and hornets started dropping out onto Jim. Jim didn't like that much as it turned out.

As I recall the nest got stuck in a big microwave after that and no more hornets came out then.

When we did it, I stuck them in a big black plastic bag and gave it a mighty dose of some brand of hornet killer, then closed the bag for a week.

I'm not sure other than as I type this, the Yellow Jacket sting I got two days ago is still itchy....

All the best and good luck to the OP.

Dwayne
Bag ‘em and hit the bag with good dose of carb cleaner. Leave tied up a day or so.
Originally Posted by longarm
Gentlemen,

I'm uniquely qualified to comment on this topic. I usually color well within the lines here on the campfire, but about this subject, well I don't believe there's another fella on the forum that has had his hands on as many of these as I have.
I had 15 live nests in my hands today. 636 of them last summer.

To the OP, If you want to preserve the paper nest your best bet is to remove all of the adults first. A Shop-Vac with extension tubes works well for this. They react to vibration and so simply bump the bush with a stick and they'll come storming out.

Bald Faced Hornets, If that's what these are, are a far-ranging species. Vacuuming to get all the adults may take a half an hour or more. You're welcome to send me a picture and I can positively identify the species for you.

The queen will not leave the nest. And keep in mind that the nest is currently full of larvae and pupae which are hatching out constantly. So once you finish vacuuming and you think you can cut the nest out you will need to then drop it into a chest freezer. Leave it in the freezer for several days, then take it outside and let it air out for a week or more in the heat. It will stink a bit during this process.

Wear all the protective gear you can during this removal. If you have a beekeeper friend borrow a veil and gloves.
Bald-faced hornets can sting multiple times and bite hard enough to draw blood. They can also squirt venom and so while you're working the nest keep your eyes slightly averted downwards.

Sprays, etc will degrade the paper nest capsule. Plastic bags will do the same.

Anyway contact me if you have any questions and I can walk you through it.

Great post!

Encountered one about 12' up in an oak tree. Had multiple branches through it. It was about 2.5' long and 1.5' wide.... Huge one.

I believe they abandon the nest every year and build a new one, no?

Letting this one get the eviction notice... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I found 2 one winter I thought I would cut down in our local duck hunting Wildlife management area. It was late January and we had multiple hard freezes already. These were in trees over water but I could reach them from a boat. It was in the.high 20s or low 30sthat day. I eased the boat up and left the.motor running in neutral. Bumped the tree the big nest was in and live hornets started.dropping out. They were sluggish but could fly. I ran to the back of the boat and killed the.motor when I threw it in reverse. luckily it started easily and had drifted sideways so I could put it in forward and get away. Several were almost on me when the boat took off.
Thanks for all of the replies and interesting stories everyone. It sounds like lots of us have had some interesting times with these guys!

Longarm, that’s for the detailed post, I’ll agree that you are uniquely qualified! I’ll send over a PM. Ive seen videos of the shop vac method but fear I don’t have the proper protective gear to deal with them!

I’m thinking a good combo route may work, with a quick shot of pyrethrin to knock out the guards and then the tarp/ fogger combo that Slumlord suggested.

For the video requests - if I had the gear it would be fun but since it’s going to be an after dark run we’re probably out of luck. Any aftermath will be photographed, including any stings as well as the nest if we get it.

Hogwild7; glad you got out of there OK!

BC30’s microwave comment was interesting, never thought of that, but I think ours is too small for the nest
I have dusted wasp nests with Diatomaceous Earth (DE). It is not a registered pesticide, but desiccates (dries out) the insect's bodies. It is safe and basically non-poisonous. BTW, it is what some people out in pool filters.
If you can get a tight plastic bag around it, tie it up with a chunk of dry ice in it. That'll suffocate them. I don't know if it'll take care of the pupae, though.
does the canned smoke bee keepers use work to encourage them to find a new home?
Sevins dust.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Seriously though,
I've removed a lot of different wasp hives of various varieties, put them in clear lexon display containers for live educational displays, but don't recommend it as it is a high risk endeavor.

HC

You're full of [bleep]. You haven't done this. I doubt you've even whacked one with a stick as a kid.

The bible says "thou shalt not bear false witness" and reading your posts I can see you make up half of what you say. All religious fanatics like you are liars and you try to get on here acting like a good guy, trying to blend in with the boys. We know what you are.
There is a hornet spray that shoots a stream many feet.
Originally Posted by rwa3006

Seriously though,

HC

You're full of [bleep]. You haven't done this. I doubt you've even whacked one with a stick as a kid.

The bible says "thou shalt not bear false witness" and reading your posts I can see you make up half of what you say. All religious fanatics like you are liars and you try to get on here acting like a good guy, trying to blend in with the boys. We know what you are.

Have you considered he's lyin' about being religious? whistle

Seriously though,

HC

So, I see I'm not the only one that sniffed this mf'er out.
rockinbbar
Possible to get a better pic of that one? Is the exterior shell smooth or covered in spikes?
Dan

The size, shape, and your location makes me think it might be the Mexican Honey Wasp, One of a very few wasp species that actually makes and stores honey

Seriously though,

HC

If you're going to quote the Bible, please do it accurately. That doesn't refer to lying. It refers to testifying falsely against someone. The best example is when Jesus was on trial and men falsely testified that he had blasphemed God. Over and over the Bible refers to cases where someone is paid or coerced to lie as a witness.
We get some pretty big paper wasp nests around here. Had one a few years ago, 15 inch diameter and 8 feet off the ground. When October rolled around, the wasps all left. The nest was vacant. It is possible that will happen with your nest. Just wait for late Autumn and the bugs might just go away.

The size, shape, and your location makes me think it might be the Mexican Honey Wasp, One of a very few wasp species that actually makes and stores honey

That is interesting!
Originally Posted by OldHat

That is interesting!

I saw those down past Monterey MX... Even tasted the honey. It was pretty good.
I have three nests in one of my glass cases with lots of other natural world stuff collected over a lifetime. I bagged two of them while there were live residents within. I put the bags--heavy contractor type bags-- in Tupperware and then into a freezer for a month or so. None came back to life. They're cool things, the nests.

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/preserving-and-displaying-hornets-nest

Seriously though,

HC

Where do you get that from?

SL and Longarm have had far more experience than me.
I gave my two cents and you go off into a hissy fit.

You have absolutely no idea what life experiences any of us have had on this thread unless you hang out with them.
You are NOT the kind of person that I would want anyone to get mixed up with.

What makes you think that I should care about your approval?

HEY EVERYONE! Take note of rwa.

"Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to thy soul. "

Practical, not fanatical.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That is interesting!

I would really like to get some of that someday. Not the wasps, just the honey.

There used to be a lot of bee keepers around here. My favor was the wild flower variety at the end of the season.
It's much stronger and IMHO better flavor than the typical clover variety in stores.

What was the wasp honey like? Do you remember?
Check out Hornet King on Youtube. He has several videos taking down while preserving nests. Dude even relocates live nests to his house.

His videos are really interesting.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb-mXwDehQf0pEgS0rlGJ9w[/video]

Seriously though,

HC

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can appreciate what some of you have gone through with removal.
Some of you might not have seen this so I'll post this play list of the Brave Wilderness channel.

Coyote Peterson

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=coyote+peterson[/video]

Rene,

Why do you post videos of things you've done like busting beer bottles in a swimming pool where people are in bare feet?
I know it seems manly and all drinking from a busted bottle, but....come on.

Rene,

Why do you post videos of things you've done like busting beer bottles in a swimming pool where people are in bare feet?

Toggle me on and Toggle me off.

What a little bytch......

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Why are you mean to Happy Dogs?

This is not the same Renegade I know.

Rene,

Show your video of sucking dick at sunday school.
Go out in your underwear with a fly swatter, and go to town! ....at least that's what my drunk buddy did one time.

Seriously though,

HC

Have you considered he's lyin' about being religious? whistle

Yup - he's a closet GAYTHEIST.

People like him give true followers a bad name.
Hammer him all day long on his zealot religious threads.
Got me on ignore up until 15 20 mins ago.

Then un toggles for some dumb azz wasp nest post he made up off the top of his head.

Pics or it never happened...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Why are you mean to Happy Dogs?

This is not the same Renegade I know.

Because he is a catholic apostate spewing schit outta the KJV.
A wannabe preacher man.
Trying to feel like he is some online faith leader.

Aint got a thing against anyone of whatever faith they was born into or what bible they believe in .

But hyprocrite catholic apostates are another matter.
You turn You burn...

He shouldn't have dropped that nugget into his persona he has spun for himself on here being ex catholic.
And the guy is a overall poser sockpuppet like all the rest of em on here anyways.....

Playing a fu ck ing game with religon and members of faith on here for his own sockpuppet kicks....

A swift Johnny Knoxville is what he needs.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Seriously though,

HC

If you're going to quote the Bible, please do it accurately. That doesn't refer to lying. It refers to testifying falsely against someone. The best example is when Jesus was on trial and men falsely testified that he had blasphemed God. Over and over the Bible refers to cases where someone is paid or coerced to lie as a witness.

Truth

The funny thing is that the biggest accusers around here blaspheme His name too. Beaver's first post on this page. Had a whole thread of guys throwing that around titled that not long ago.
That's why I don't put up with it in my threads.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ed-hot-preaching-conference#Post16269440

Except muslims

They pretty much all need to be exterminated. IMO....
I've taken them down many times without spraying. I did it either while raining or dark then just tie off tight and hang it up for several days, depending on size of nest and bag.
I'm told we have a nest at the cabin, I may try to save it.

Maybe 375 PigGuy would like to get back on topic.
That might not be the "catholic " thing to do, but he started the thread. Two experts on hand for a rare discussion and a bunch of bickering about nothing.

Rwa, rene, mirage,
If you feel better thinking that I lied about collecting wasp nest, think what you want. I don't care.
Go off and gossip all you want.

Maybe 375 PigGuy would like to get back on topic.
That might not be the "catholic " thing to do, but he started the thread. Two experts on hand for a rare discussion and a bunch of bickering about nothing.

Rwa, rene, mirage,
If you feel better thinking that I lied about collecting wasp nest, think what you want. I don't care.
Go off and gossip all you want.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Little female dog with a post like that.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
UPDATE -

Thanks again for the advice all. We went after dark tonight and it's looking good.

Gear used - Drione dust in a duster , Surefire Sidekick taped a couple of inches back from the muzzle.

Protective apparel - Carhartt pants over tall rubber boots, T shirt with long sleeve heavy cotton long sleeve over it, then a jacket. Leather gloves with the jacket cuff taped in place over the wrist. Stocking cap to cover my ears, ball cap, and a head net.

The porch light was on but not helpful, so I eased in and shined a bright light to make sure of my bearings. Backed off, then eased up with the duster. Light on (I know, some say they should not be used, but how the hell would I know where to spray since it was a few inches back in the bush?), then I eased the wand through the bush and started squeezing the hell out of the duster. After the initial cloud cleared a bit I could see them crawling around with the dust, so I put the nozzle in the hole and let fly some more until I could see dust coming out of the top of the nest.

Backed off, could see a few staggering around on the walk. Gave it a couple of minutes then took another look and no hornets around the nest.

Touching base with the homeowner tomorrow for status, and may go back for another dusting, then will pull it Monday for it's time in the deep freeze.

Slumlord, I wanted to try your cover and fog idea but the setting wasn't very friendly for it, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

That is interesting!

There used to be a lot of bee keepers around here. My favor was the wild flower variety at the end of the season.
It's much stronger and IMHO better flavor than the typical clover variety in stores.

I like to buy honey from as many small producers when I travel and see if I can detect different flavors. Kind of like what alcohol people do with Gin. LOL
Originally Posted by copperking81
Check out Hornet King on Youtube. He has several videos taking down while preserving nests. Dude even relocates live nests to his house.

His videos are really interesting.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb-mXwDehQf0pEgS0rlGJ9w[/video]

Thanks!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm told we have a nest at the cabin, I may try to save it.

Video? wink
If you think there dead there not I found out the hard way in boxers and crocks and they will chase you even if your a Olympic runner

That is interesting!

I like to buy honey from as many small producers when I travel and see if I can detect different flavors. Kind of like what alcohol people do with Gin. LOL

I didn't know you were a honey conisure .
That's what makes it interesting. There's many variables for flavor.
The flowers from different locations and what's in bloom makes a big difference. Even the processing of the honey. If it's heated it neutralizes the enzymes. If the propolis is removed, or filtered it tastes different than raw unfiltered too. That's my favorite....raw unfiltered cold drained honey. I had a quart of it that I savoured for a couple years. Best I ever had.
© 24hourcampfire