Home
Texas firefighter celebrating wedding anniversary found dead in Cancun

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-firefighter-celebrating-wedding-anniversary-found-dead-in-cancun

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
For those that still think the “Resort” Areas are “safe”.
A risk that didn’t pay off
Sad....
Remember a couple years back when all them drinky-poos were making people dead?
I just can't imagine choosing to go to Mexico.
Damn sure can't imagine being there and dfoing anything to
make me more vulnerable or less aware.

Dam shame too.
A trip there would be nice. Would have been nice. 20 years ago.
Wedding anniversary celebration, drinking at the bar. He stays at the bar, wife goes to room, she misses him at 4 am.
Weird sequence of events.
He obviously didn't act gringo enough. It's safe for gringos, especially in resort areas. They don't want to risk the revenue........
As long as the fish are biting the sea of Cortez, I'll keep going.
Never have I felt unsafe. Just don't be stupid and know your surroundings. Don't drink alone at some bar in Mexico. Seems pretty reasonable. Sounds like wifey wasn't providing that vacation boom boom.
Originally Posted by dale06
Wedding anniversary celebration, drinking at the bar. He stays at the bar, wife goes to room, she misses him at 4 am.

Yep.
I don't know why the Hell anyone would go to Mexico. You couldn't pay me to go there. I have several cousins who travel there routinely for the resorts. I even have a cousin who has a time-share in Puerto Vallarta. They go to resorts where there's been kidnappings and murders of Americans. I don't get it and I think they have very poor judgement for traveling there.
It happens all the time. It ain't like the Mexican media is free to print everything or the resort areas want to broadcast it.

Don't get me wrong, Mexico is a stunning country. I live about and hour and a half from Cancun and used to go several times a year.

Now, it's like mowing your lawn in a thunderstorm.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It happens all the time. It ain't like the Mexican is free to print everything or the resort areas want to broadcast it.

Don't get me wrong, Mexico is a stunning country. I live about and hour and a half from Cancun and used to go several times a year.

Yep. Safe until it isn’t. I’ll pass on both. 🤠
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Texas firefighter celebrating wedding anniversary found dead in Cancun

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-firefighter-celebrating-wedding-anniversary-found-dead-in-cancun

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Sad story for friends and family. Should have gone to Chicago instead. Survival 101 do not travel to places where they do not like you.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It happens all the time. It ain't like the Mexican is free to print everything or the resort areas want to broadcast it.

Hahaha. For sure.

Buds in the valley used to go across to Las Palmas and shoot hundreds of quail over pointers for a few hundred for 3 days.
One ag bud had a Mexican General friend but about 10 years ago he said to not come any more as he couldn't insure their safety.
Mexico is a country of murder,,,,, http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2021/07/homicides-contained-security-chief.html

Yep.

Ya, trying to get some strange more than likely..

Its real common for folks to kill folks and pose them in a bathroom window... Good lord 😂😂
I can't believe people pay good money to go to that place. They couldn't pay me.
Originally Posted by Judman

Yep.

Ya, trying to get some strange more than likely..

Its real common for folks to kill folks and pose them in a bathroom window... Good lord 😂😂

Did you read the whole article?

“Elledge said Snow’s family hired an attorney who obtained crime scene photos showing he had been beaten over most of his body.”

I’m guessing he got kidnapped. Probably trying to escape and got beat to death.

I seriously doubt that the Mexican Press or Medical Examiner printed the real story.
Yes I read it, and ya, he was more than likely piling up someone's ol lady. I'm sure if his bank accounts etc were drained it woulda been in the article.👍
So he died on monday, body returned to the US on friday and being buried tuesday. That's pretty fast if there is evidence of foul play. You would think the body would be examined, examined, reexamined and investigated thoroughly. It's not like the body disappeared over the side of a cruise ship while on vacation.

Kent
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
He obviously didn't act gringo enough. It's safe for gringos, especially in resort areas. They don't want to risk the revenue........

It's changed, Gruff. Cancun isn't that safe anymore. Safest places are cities like Merida, where cartel members send their families to live.
Different news source...

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/07/22...was-kidnapped-murdered-at-cancun-resort/

The incident happened on the couple’s first night at an all-inclusive resort on the beachfront strip of hotels in the popular tourist destination.

After having a few drinks at the hotel lobby bar, the couple went to their room, according to Elledge, when Jamie Snow noticed her husband stopped and went back to the bar. She went to sleep, only to wake up about 4 a.m. and discover he hadn’t returned to the room.

Snow started searching the hotel for her husband at that point, Elledge said. About 8:30 in the morning someone told her he had been found dead, possibly after falling between the walls of the resort next door.

That's a bit different than a window in a hotel a few miles away.

Kent
Covid
Daughter & SIL just returned from Cancun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

There's a reason their citizens are trying to escape that place.
For those that still think the “Resort” Areas are “safe”.
Exactly...
COVID?
Originally Posted by local_dirt

It's changed, Gruff. Cancun isn't that safe anymore. Safest places are cities like Merida, where cartel members send their families to live.

My post was satirical lol
I wonder how much the family had to bribe the Mexicans to get his body released. Bet it was $$$$$.
No reason to buy round trip tickets... get there and party till they kill ya...

Kent
No interest in MX.

If I wanted sand and nice water - lots available in Florida, Carrib etc.
I went to Cancun seven times. I hated Cancun. But Cancun had an airport. We would fly down there from Atlanta, rent a car, and get out of town. We went 80 miles, down to a little town on the beach called Tulum. We would rent a little hut on the beach, lay back in a hammock under a palm tree and drink a cold Mexican beer. It was great! And very cheap. Beautiful crystal clear Carribbean water, wonderful skin diving there in the Yucatan.
This was back in the eighties. Last time we went was 1991. There were no problems except, every time we went down, now we would stay for a week, and the day we got back we got amoebic dysentery. They call it Montezuma's revenge. You will not be at your job for 4 days. Really nasty.

Anyway, no crime there in the Yucatan in those days. I talked to a gal who was at the same town, Tulum, in 2005 and she said the dope cartels were having shootouts in the streets with the Federal police, and she would never go back.

I also travelled extensively around Mexico by car in the seventies and eighties. Never had a problem. That country has gone into the septic tank since then. I wouldn't go back to Mexico today if you paid me a thousand dollars.
https://apnews.com/article/shooting...y-crime-28c929e6ed1c8ce759a06f412837ae89

Deadly spring break: 3 men charged in 2 deaths in Florida...

Kent
DMc Daughter & SIL just returned from Cancun.

DMc that is a great picture of your daughter riding the jet ski in the crystal waters of Cancun. Beautiful sandy beach. Palm trees. Did your daughter read this story, this happened just one year ago. And believe me the Mexican media keeps the lid on these murders as much as possible. Don't want to scare off Gringo tourists:

An American tourist was wounded while on vacation in Cancún after Narco hitmen on jet skis sprayed a beach with bullets in an apparent turf war with a rival drug gang. Two people were killed in the shooting.

The tourist, identified only as Kanya N, is a resident of Kentucky and was hospitalised after a stray bullet hit her in the shoulder when she was caught in the crossfire while relaxing under a palm-roofed hut, Vice reported.

Witnesses say two gunmen fired 10 to 15 shots at the beach before escaping across the water. The two victims died at the beach and were reportedly street vendors who sold craft items to tourists. Many such vendors also work as drug dealers, selling marijuana and cocaine to visitors.

The shooting took place in the afternoon of 11 June and is thought to have

Originally Posted by local_dirt

My post was satirical lol

Posted for the good of the group.
is it still safe to go to TJ for a BJ?
About the same as always probably.

And that's what most people think mexico is, a place to go engage in risky behavior they wouldn't or couldn't do in Iowa... Obviously it can be had, especially around the tourist hubs.

Kent
Originally Posted by Slavek

Sad story for friends and family. Should have gone to Chicago instead. Survival 101 do not travel to places where they do not like you.

You should heed that advice and make yourself scarce here
Been to Cozumel 6-7 times, ferried across to Playa del Carmen several times, took the collectivo to Tulum...loved it.
Haven't been in several years now...Sadly probably won't return.
Probably go back to Punta Cana.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I went to Cancun seven times. I hated Cancun. But Cancun had an airport. We would fly down there from Atlanta, rent a car, and get out of town. We went 80 miles, down to a little town on the beach called Tulum. We would rent a little hut on the beach, lay back in a hammock under a palm tree and drink a cold Mexican beer. It was great! And very cheap. Beautiful crystal clear Carribbean water, wonderful skin diving there in the Yucatan.
This was back in the eighties. Last time we went was 1991. There were no problems except, every time we went down, now we would stay for a week, and the day we got back we got amoebic dysentery. They call it Montezuma's revenge. You will not be at your job for 4 days. Really nasty.

Anyway, no crime there in the Yucatan in those days. I talked to a gal who was at the same town, Tulum, in 2005 and she said the dope cartels were having shootouts in the streets with the Federal police, and she would never go back.

I also travelled extensively around Mexico by car in the seventies and eighties. Never had a problem. That country has gone into the septic tank since then. I wouldn't go back to Mexico today if you paid me a thousand dollars.

That is all true.

I went down to Tulum in those days too.

Beautiful water

Zero crime

Food and drink cheap cheap

Yes, you did get Montezuma’s revenge!

Today? No way!

Except you still get Montezuma
I never have gotten sick in Mexico, all the horse troughs, stock tanks I drank out of growing up I guess.

Kent
It’s an enjoyable country and everything is fine there, right up until it isn’t. My last trip there was a turkey hunt in Chihuahua, about 6 hours south of Tucson. Great trip. Great time but one of the most startling things I learned form the locals was the fact that the roads belonged to the people during the day and the cartels at night. Wherever you were when it got dark, you stayed there till the following morning. They accepted it and planned for it just like I have to accept and plan for beltway traffic around the DC area. It was a fact of life. I’ve been there many times but I doubt I’ll be back until something drastically changes. Too bad, it’s a nice place with a lot of good people.
In the 90's when I moved factories out of Ohio to Gomez Pelacio and to Hermasillo, we took training in what to do when kidnapped, the Co. carried $10 mil insurance on each of us. Learned to carry two months of medications and scrips, at that point kidnappers wanted you alive...

We no longer go there to work, I still get the STEP notifications, Smokies and Montana look good to me for vacations.
It's a schithole. A schithole with killer fishing, beaches, food......still a schithole.

All told, it's likely safer than going into Tacoma, as long as you're halfway smart about it.

I was in Vallarta earlier this year. About 6 months ago the governor of Jalisco got gunned down in a bar downtown. Id not count on touristvtowns being safe. Cartels don't GAF if your a live gringo or a dead gringo.
Pretty country, with great hunting and fishing. Also some very nice people. It’s a shame the United States need for illegal drugs has helped with Mexico’s decline. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It's a schithole. A schithole with killer fishing, beaches, food......still a schithole.

All told, it's likely safer than going into Tacoma, as long as you're halfway smart about it.

I was in Vallarta earlier this year. About 6 months ago the governor of Jalisco got gunned down in a bar downtown. Id not count on touristvtowns being safe. Cartels don't GAF if your a live gringo or a dead gringo.

Ya I see Seattle and Tacoma are escalating.
Vacationing in Mexico is akin to owning a pitbull.

Everything is fine........until it isn't.

Clyde
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Ya I see Seattle and Tacoma are escalating.

If you're on the Facebook's, check out Tacompton Files.

Its freaking hilarious.
If Mexico is so wonderful why are they all trying to come here? I'd give it a miss.
reminds me of the old OJ and AC joke.

as the cops were leading OJ away from the bronco in cuffs, he yells at AC, "Yo AC, i thought you said we wuz going to mexico??"

AC says "Nahh man, i said you is goin' to The Can Coon"
Originally Posted by worriedman
In the 90's when I moved factories out of Ohio to Gomez Pelacio and to Hermasillo, we took training in what to do when kidnapped, the Co. carried $10 mil insurance on each of us. Learned to carry two months of medications and scrips, at that point kidnappers wanted you alive...

We no longer go there to work, I still get the STEP notifications, Smokies and Montana look good to me for vacations.

I did plant systems start ups from 2007-2016 in Saltillo and Torreon. By that time, kidnappers had moved on to a numbers game. Kidnap the the gringo. Ask for ransom. Wait 24 hours. If no ransom, whack the gringo. Find another. Rinse and repeat.
So how much was his life insurance worth to her?

The circumstances seem pretty off. The only time my wife went back to our room without me was at a military reunion. Our room was just down the hall from the suite we were all in.

If it smells fishy it usually is.
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Best site I know of to get an idea of how bad it is down there. Our "news" doesn't scratch the surface of it. The site will post some truly gruesome photos and videos so think twice before watching them (they will typically post a warning for the worst ones).

The Cartels have tried to shut the site down. Many if not all of the reporters remain anonymous if they want to remain alive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I had a great time in Mexico! Here I am in Tulum, 1991, drinking a cold beer. The "barroom" is a straw hut on the beach. Where else can you drink a beer with a parrot on your shoulder. They make good beer in Mexico.

Taking a snooze in the shade of a palm tree, laying in a hammock. They make great hammocks there in the Yucatan, you can buy one for $40. Honestly this place was a tropical paradise.

It is a short drive to see the Maya ruins at Chichen Itza. Fantastic that these Indians could build these pyramids, 1400 years ago. It is just incredible to climb to the top of this pyramid.

Taking a walk on the beach. Stars were fantastic at night. You could see the Southern Cross.

Thirty years ago this place was a tropical paradise. Today, I wouldn't go back if you paid my way and paid me a thousand dollars.
Americans need to help Mexicans by reducing demand for illicit drugs, otherwise what is in Mexico is going to find its way North across the border.
Leaving for Cozumel Saturday, I’ll let you all know if I don’t make it back.
Originally Posted by hanco

Stay safe Buddy. Watch your Six !

Just don’t try to pick up some strange in the hotel bar after your wife goes to bed.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Just don’t try to pick up some strange in the hotel bar after your wife goes to bed.

I can barely pick her up!!
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I did plant systems start ups from 2007-2016 in Saltillo and Torreon. If no ransom, whack the gringo. Find another. Rinse and repeat.

I did some time in Torreon. Leave Monterey on their local airline after flying in from Houston on Continental. Guy taking tickets says "No smoking" as we board. Soon as wheels up the smoke wafts back through the curtain from the pilot and co-pilot...

I loved the food and the locals, moving Philips "Big Screen" TVs down was a hoot. Our local contractor was great, the Head PM for Philips, a guy from Holland, asked me what language it was I spoke? Said it could not be English as he learned that at University, but what ever it was I spoke they all got it, but he was curious as to what "Full of Sh*t as a Christmas Turkey" meant...

Had some real long haired dictionaries that were sweet as pie too, but would never go back. My good friend Roberto moved to Tejas...
I don't mean to trigger anyone but read past the Covid warning.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...eladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html
After reading ONLY various media accounts, it sounds bad for the Fireman. Regardless, he deserves some level of respect . RIP first responder
Originally Posted by smarquez
I don't mean to trigger anyone but read past the Covid warning.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...eladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Wow, makes it pretty clear!
Mexico has had travel warnings the past 20 years. The mistake he made is that he went back out alone at night and didn't use common sense. I go to Mexico, Baja area ( I avoid the mainland) , still every year and I just use common sense like any big urban area and dont travel at night and avoid certain areas. Of course when you're drinking heavily all common sense goes out the window.
© 24hourcampfire