Home
Posted By: jimy Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/28/21
What a great year for peppers, my wife bought the plants at a local place, they turned out fantastic !

I wanna know if the seeds are worth drying and how would I go about it? How to tell if they are HMO or not?

Any pepper experts out there?
Let peppers mature and then cut open and dry seeds on paper towel. Label and place in baggies and store in freezer. Simple enough
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/28/21
I ain’t no expert but my peppers have really done well this year. Bell peppers bigger than softballs.
I doubt I’ll save any seeds. Not really set up to start them. Dunno tho, I might try it.
Yep, throw mine in a sandwich bag and keep in the fridge in the shop

Red, yellow, orange, green and brown bell. Pimento. Poblano and jalapeño. Banana.

Poblanos for chili relleno, jalapeño we stuff and fry or grill, pickle the banana, and slice and freeze all the bell for omelettes, soups, stir fry, casseroles, fajitas etc….
Love peppers. Especially fall and early winter flavors get the best.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/28/21
Last year I had a dozen plants and got peppers out the wazoo... This year, I planted a dozen plants and have just ONE with a few peppers on it... The others just look at me like 'what are YOU lookin' at?'..... Even my sister - who always grows fabulous peppers - is getting bupkis this season.. Damn things.. smile
Hanco is the pepper master here! smile
Posted By: antlers Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/28/21
Red jalapeños, to me, have even better flavor than green jalapeños.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/28/21
Our peppers didn't do worth a crap this year. Lucky for us, everyone else we know had plenty.

Freeloadin' is the best loadin'
I’ve grown them out here in the PNW. What usually happens is I end up with plants full of fruit but they never fully ripen or develop much heat. Just not hot enough I suppose. Same with tomatoes.

This year I have some shinto and jalapeño plants going. They are in black pots with a shiny 4’x8’ piece of galvanized steel behind them as a reflector. Seems to be a bit much for the Tom’s but the peppers love it.

We’ll see if they develop some heat.
Posted By: hanco Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/28/21
I didn’t grow any this year, they would have died anyway from too much rain.
It is an easy matter to save and germinate the seeds. Typically pepper plants are self pollinating.

BUT, as everything from the sweet Yolo Wonder to the hottest of the hot are the same species, crosses do occur.

You may discover your second generation plants to be a cross of 1/2 sweet bell pepper X 1/2 Jalepeno.

We get some amazing crosses in the garden of tomato hybrids, or squash plants, or cantaloupe crosses when a volunteer seedling is allowed to bear fruit.

Your heirloom seed is no longer heirloom when a friendly honey bee deposits a bit of stray pollen on the flower.
I have several different varieties and they are producing this year better than ever. Easy to grow.
Posted By: las Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
Our single green -pepper (or should I say upper?) plant is in the passive greenhouse - has a half dozen peppers on it. Wife wanted it - I don't eat the things. Flavor is ok- I just don't want to burp the flavor for hours afterward. She ate the first one last night .

forget jalapeños!
I'm getting a lot of habanero peppers this year, a few serrano peppers and a few cajun bell peppers and green bell peppers. My red ghost pepper plant gave up the ghost!!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
Most I've ever grown was something like 17 varieties one season, between the bell and hot types.

Here's what happens on the Modoc when you try to grow peppers. Put these out the night of June 16th. 38F on the thermometer in the morning, at about 5' above ground level. Frost at ground level.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This little one with a black pot and gallon of water next to it just got stunted. It's still growing but less than a foot tall still.

Here's what they looked like the night before. Last frost in 2020 was on 17 June and the weather service didn't have a frost warning that night. I put the water jugs out to help just in case. Futile attempt as just about every plant frostburned. Tomatoes in there too. Couple of them were replaced, a couple are coming back now finally.

I replaced a bunch, and have one Carolina Reaper plant that hopefully will do OK. The heat we had stressed them some too, they're starting to come on now.
Mine are garbage this year
Posted By: Torqued Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
If was so wet when we needed to get the garden in that we just plantsd a few maters and peppers in buckets so that we could have some fresh pickins. Now it's so hot and dry that they aren't doing that will neither. No win this year !
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
[Linked Image]

I grow bell peppers on the roof of my work shop.

It is 20 degrees hotter up there than down on the earth.
Jalapeños...got about 4 plants ..loaded up ! Woowho !
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Most I've ever grown was something like 17 varieties one season, between the bell and hot types.

Here's what happens on the Modoc when you try to grow peppers. Put these out the night of June 16th. 38F on the thermometer in the morning, at about 5' above ground level. Frost at ground level.

This little one with a black pot and gallon of water next to it just got stunted. It's still growing but less than a foot tall still.

Here's what they looked like the night before. Last frost in 2020 was on 17 June and the weather service didn't have a frost warning that night. I put the water jugs out to help just in case. Futile attempt as just about every plant frostburned. Tomatoes in there too. Couple of them were replaced, a couple are coming back now finally.

I replaced a bunch, and have one Carolina Reaper plant that hopefully will do OK. The heat we had stressed them some too, they're starting to come on now.

Dammmmm dude....

Things grow better in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
😁😁😁😁😄😄😄😄
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by renegade50

Dammmmm dude....

Things grow better in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
😁😁😁😁😄😄😄😄

You should see my cabbages, broccoli, and tater plants. I should get a good harvest from them this year.

Wife asked why the strawberries were finally starting to bloom heavy. I had to tell her the majority of the plants are a June bearing variety, but up here we have our June in Late July and August. crazy
The bell peppers I planted never came up. The jalapeno, habanero, Hatch, Scotch bonnet, and cayenne are all doing OK. They are making more than I can eat. No one else here will eat them except me.
I have 16 plants this year. I am not a big hot pepper dude, though I love poblanos anchos and have 4 plants usually . I dry them and store them. My other plants are a variety of sweet peppers. They all do well here if I can keep the moles and ground squirrels away from the roots.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
I planted just a few bell peppers and a dozen green chilies. The green chilies usually have their peppers later. The keep producing until frost. I have a few small peppers on them but it’s early. The plants look great so fingers crossed. Hopefully I get enough that I don’t need to buy some.

So far it’s been the best gardening season in a while.
i planted banana peppers this year for the first time. they grew like crazy but the deer decided they liked them . they get to about 20" high and they mow them off. they have grown that tall 3-4 times and they eat them again. haven't gotten one pepper.

anyone got a deer loin and banana pepper recipe?
Posted By: OGB Re: Peppers, who grows them ? - 07/29/21
Jalapeno, banana and thai chilis have been doing great last couple of years.
© 24hourcampfire