Home
Posted By: worriedman Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Went up to the deer place to do some bush hogging today. 15 year old battery may have given up the ghost but that is another matter. As normal it did not start when I tried to turn it over so I grabbed my jump box and popped the hood...and they say fat men with two store bought knees can not run. I had wasp spray in the truck so I dosed their hinneys real good and went on about my day. Got back to the barn and there were more buzzing angrily about the two nest I pulled out from under the hood, I got the lead on them and knocked them down but dang they was mad...

I keep one of those high dollar injector thingies in the truck too, I am allergic.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Lowes sometimes run their wasp spray for $1 a can

I buy 2-3 cases.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
I need two cases. Got em bad.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

I buy 2-3 cases.

Be careful! The $1 can says 25ft spray.. Maybe 5ft on a good day.

😂🤣

I hate those big orange wasps. Never been bit. But they look mean.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Wasps are beneficial insects.
Posted By: WAM Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Cheap carb cleaner kills deader and quicker than anything I have seen except maybe gasoline.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
My wife just got stung on one of her fingers by a red wasp while watering her flowers. Ouch
Posted By: AZmark Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
25' Wasp and hornet killer ................better than mace or pepper spray.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Those big SE red bastards are pretty mean. They’ll kamikazee your azz from pretty decent range.

Still, they don’t quite compare to yella jackets. YJ’s and fire ants share the title to the biggest azzholes in the insect world.
Posted By: broomd Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
My wife got nailed by three today right on the face. We were working some fence and she happened on an angry nest in the corral panel.

She's a tough gal, her face looks like she went three rounds with Tyson, right eye is almost closed; but she's still smilin'. Tougher than me by a mile.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Theys are the devils spawn.

Them and yellow jackets.

I've got a spot that's been burning for a week after them phuggers boiled outta the ground. I soaked em in diesel and let them burn.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Gave a nest inside a control box hole 3 days ago 3 good blast with some kylon matte black.
They werent digging it at all.
Not a single one came out.

Aint seen any activity since.

Posted By: slumlord Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Their little preying mantis swivel heads all got 3 coats of krylon

lol
Posted By: worriedman Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Still, they don’t quite compare to yella jackets. YJ’s and fire ants share the title to the biggest azzholes in the insect world.

Had a young ex con helping clean up some storm downed trees and weed eating around the stumps a couple of years ago. Wife looked out the window and saw him with his t-shirt pulled off flapping and whipping it about as he hightailed it across the front yard at a pretty good clip, he dived off into the big ditch on the other side and you could hear him crashing and cussing as he went out of sight and hearing...

I went to check on the site of the action and the weed eater was still running where he had dropped it, completely covered in yellowjackets, and a cloud of them keeping a high level fighter canopy over it...

I left it well enough alone and went after the kid, found him about a mile down the road still headed back to the hood. He looked like he had been run through a sausage mill, he was not even coming back to get his money. I dropped him off at his girlfriends place and never saw him again...

I got some stuff from a outfit in GA that mails out insecticides and it has a can of spray heavier than air that you dose the hole at night with, and some powder you sprinkle around the hole. That stuff will get 'em.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by WAM
Cheap carb cleaner kills deader and quicker than anything I have seen except maybe gasoline.

Surprisingly Berryman’s B12 has no effect on them.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
This stuff works.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have killed bees with sprays, carb cleaner, br ape clean, gas, diesel, flames...

Kibosh turns them off like a light.
I wouldn't be afraid to stand under a nest being sprayed.
It's actually kinda scary.
The stuff hits them, they just turn off.

Not sure where to source it besides industrial supply places.
And it's expensive, I only use it where I really need them dead.
If it's somewhere that I can deal with a few cripples, the cheap stuff
is ok.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Big old black and Yellow Bumble bees nest in the ground and if you disturb their nest they'll be pissed. Diesel will quiet them down.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21

I buy 2-3 cases.

I have a can I've had for 10 years. Not lowes though. I got the good stuff, I guess.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
i had an old CJ that got used occasionally as a stump puller more or less. went to move it one day and as i was backing it up i felt something crawling on my bare leg. looked down and my crotch was covered by bumble bees that were pouring out of a crack in the seat. i rolled out of that fugger and it leapfrogged off in low gear low range until it ran up on a stump. i ran around swatting and yelling and getting bit the hell and back. meanwhile the old man is standing there looking at me wondering wtf i was doing. when i flipped the seat up, the whole underneath was a nest.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
these bad boys have taken up residence at my hummingbird feeder. I looked them up , they are called Baldfaced Hornets. I kinda like 'em

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
I blasted a bald face hornet nest that was under the deck of my pontoon boat the other day.
I had bought some wasp/hornet spray from the local Dollah Genral. Some Hot Shot brand.
Surprise [bleep]!
It’s a fog spray not a concentrated stream!
Run like hell, jump in the truck slapping at the attacking hornets and haul ass across the field.
I went back after dark and finished them off.
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
WD 40 works on them. It adheres to their wings and they can't fly. They fall to the ground to be easily stepped on.

I was working on an old tractor when a dozen or so hornets nesting in one of the wheels came out to investigate. I already had the WD 40 in my hand, spraying rusted nuts and bolts, so I pulled the red tube off of it to achieve a fogging effect and used it to defend myself. It worked great.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yeah, they give you good exercise.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Humidity, red wasps, attack turtles, jiggaboos, man eating snakes, hurricanes, fire ants, mud sharks, no teef, giant aquatic lizards, etc! Why damnit, why?
Posted By: g5m Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

LOL.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Deathly allergic.
Went to grill and opened hood.....nest.

Just cranked up the flames.

Orange and brown wasps......german something I think.
Had 2 nests in shed, on door. Sprayed.

Had tree frogs too in shed, they left.

Yellow jackets......is burn my yard and house down to kill em. Full out war.

Allergic reaction, ER and a month of head to toe hives when I bounced one off my Jeep mirror into my belly.
Posted By: devnull Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Bush hogging is the worst this time of the year. Also, large, stationary propane tank lids always have wasp nests in them; open with caution. I was sweeping out the garage at the farm years ago and bumped a climbing tresstand that was hung up. I had all the wasps from the nest on the stand fall on my forearm. They lit me up as I had no idea they were there.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21

"When I bounced one off my Jeep mirror into my belly."

Mirror Bees!

Anyone who ever spent much time driving a real truck, especially without a/c,
has mirror bee stories.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Mirror Bees!

has mirror bee stories.

Motorcycle bees are a thing too.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21

Beneficial for the makers of the wasp and hornet spray.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Murder hornets are coming.
Posted By: hanco Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]hebrew girl names starting with m
Posted By: chris_c Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by WAM

Brake cleaner also
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by KFWA
these bad boys have taken up residence at my hummingbird feeder. I looked them up , they are called Baldfaced Hornets. I kinda like 'em

You won't when one of the mother fuggers gets you.

Probably the hardest stinging son of a bitsch you will ever run on to.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Mirror Bees!

has mirror bee stories.

2 of em. Right through the wing window!!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Mirror Bees!

has mirror bee stories.

yep, had a wasp smack me in the chest and drop right into my shirt. stung the fugg out of me. another time i had a wasp go right into my helmet and into my ear. 5th gear to 3rd and 60-0 in about 5 seconds. by the time i got the fugger out of my ear, i could barely put my helmet back on.
Posted By: las Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Those big SE red bastards are pretty mean. They’ll kamikazee your azz from pretty decent range.

I'll take YJ over bald faced hornets. Don't know anything about tfire ants, except by rep.
Posted By: las Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

And about the worst attitude too. Very aggressive.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

And about the worst attitude too. Very aggressive.

Yep. Have dealt w a nest or 2 of those bastards.

Never been stung "yet"!! My day will come I am sure.

Same for bumble bees, never had one of them fuggers latch on yet and have even spent a fair amount of time in hay fields.

Had some yellow jackets get me while mowing the yard last year. 9 bites on my ankles. Painful yes but I have had a lot worse pain.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/28/21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1q0LNb8irA

It takes a worried man, to sing a worried song...
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Best to take care of them after dark.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by worriedman

Had a young ex con helping clean up some storm downed trees and weed eating around the stumps a couple of years ago. Wife looked out the window and saw him with his t-shirt pulled off flapping and whipping it about as he hightailed it across the front yard at a pretty good clip, he dived off into the big ditch on the other side and you could hear him crashing and cussing as he went out of sight and hearing...

I went to check on the site of the action and the weed eater was still running where he had dropped it, completely covered in yellowjackets, and a cloud of them keeping a high level fighter canopy over it...

I left it well enough alone and went after the kid, found him about a mile down the road still headed back to the hood. He looked like he had been run through a sausage mill, he was not even coming back to get his money. I dropped him off at his girlfriends place and never saw him again...

I got some stuff from a outfit in GA that mails out insecticides and it has a can of spray heavier than air that you dose the hole at night with, and some powder you sprinkle around the hole. That stuff will get 'em.

I suggest that when you do stuff that is likely to result in an unfortunate encounter with bees that you wear a bee keeper’s outfit. These consist of coveralls, gloves and a light screen head piece. Should be light and effective.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Paper wasps are frequent here, build small open nests under the eaves and in bushes. I usually leave ‘em be unless they are close to a doorway or path.

One good thing is every wasp I’ve ever sprayed was incapacitated almost instantly by even plain ol’ pyrethroid sprays. Unlike a cockroach for example that can take several minutes.
Posted By: catosilvaje Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
I got stung by one two years ago on the right shoulder, didn't amount to much just hurt. The next day about noon my right arm went dead , wouldn't move or feel , like it wasn't there. I thought I was having a stroke. Went to the ER and they couldn't find anything wrong. In about three hours it started working again. They only charged me $3500.00 .
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21

I'd love to see pics of these "Big red angry wasps".

Or it might not have happened? wink

Hey Jim, do you folks have any onions in the garden? I found wasps of all types love them when they go to flowering. Spider killer wasps, little yellow suckers, regular old yeller jackets, probably a cicada killer or two on them. Saw a honey bee (one of mine??) on them today even.

And one of my favorite things is to see them crawling under cabbage leaves and coming out with a caterpillar.

I generally leave them nests alone unless they're near a doorway that gets used all the time, or near the tools in the shed.

Then again, I'm not allergic to their stings. Just a bit worse than a bee sting and keeping bees will get one stung on occasion.
Originally Posted by hanco

Thanks hanco, there's a pic of them for me.

Never saw that brand before. All sorts of others. They look best avoided, eh?
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
They have changed the formulas. Use to spray knocked them dead instant. Not they crawl around and can still fly
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

LOL - that’s no schizzles!

Yellow Jackets have got to be the aholes of the insect world. Get a BBQ going and those bastards will find you and screw with you while you’re swatting and dodging them between bites. I once opened the lid to the grill without realizing the surprise party they had planned for me. Two big nests inside the lid. I slammed it closed and lit her up. Hornets for hour d’oeuvres is a nice touch. My niece got stung on her tongue. One of those damned things crawled onto her soda can and she took a swig. I just had the exterminator spray the hell out of the place. Best $85 bucks I’ve spent in a while.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Yellow jackets bite. Multiple times if you are unlucky.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Saw one chasing Treyvon around a loading dock.
Funnier than chit!

"Where's at, where's at?"
"Rightz behindzou" the others would say.
"Yah, he'll get you good" the token Caucasian added.
Funnier than chit.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
I've been using Spectracide Wasp & Hornet Killer for years with great success. This year it's not working very well. I wonder if they've changed the formulation.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Hey Jim, do you folks have any onions in the garden? I found wasps of all types love them when they go to flowering. Spider killer wasps, little yellow suckers, regular old yeller jackets, probably a cicada killer or two on them. Saw a honey bee (one of mine??) on them today even.

And one of my favorite things is to see them crawling under cabbage leaves and coming out with a caterpillar.

I generally leave them nests alone unless they're near a doorway that gets used all the time, or near the tools in the shed.

Then again, I'm not allergic to their stings. Just a bit worse than a bee sting and keeping bees will get one stung on occasion.

I haven't had onions growing for a few years.

Thats interesting though.

Most adult wasps dont eat the prey they kill. That stuff is for the young.

They eat nectar.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I haven't had onions growing for a few years.

Thats interesting though.

Most adult wasps dont eat the prey they kill. That stuff is for the young.

They eat nectar.

Yep, like their cousins in my hives, the protein goes to the kids. But they have to fuel themselves with something.

I've still got a couple that haven't closed up and set seed. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow, maybe one with two or three species on it at the same time.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
That would be a tasty wasp.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Hell, step on a honey bee with diabetic feet. A Fentanyl Lozenge only helps a little. Your looking at hours of excruciating pain.

There is no clover around the house and pool here anymore.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21

One year, me and a bud was getting a feeder ready for deer season.

I always bump it, before taking lid off, safety measures. 😂🤪.

When i did those orange wasp started boiling out the bottom.

Buddy is bad allergic to stings. He took off running. I fended them off with a machete. 😂🤪
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
Fire ants aren't as bad as a honey bee. We have some light orange wasps here that hurt like the devil. I would rather deal with a rattlesnake than a wasp nest. I hate wasps.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/29/21
We have some katy-killers (cicada killers)

Black wasp looks fierce but not aggressive. They hover about a foot above the grass and then dive into the ground.

Also have what I think is the same insect- it has been going around and checking out all the carpenter bee drill holes. It crawls up inside there and hauls their asses out, larvae, etc.

Posted By: hookeye Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/30/21
Allergic to yellowjackets.

Love when cleaning geese in nuisance season the sneak in and slurp the blood between your fingers.

Never been stung that way. They buzz and keep feeding, just let you know theyre there.

Every time....its like ice water shoots through my veins.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/30/21
I just took this pic

Been drinking a lot of Cheerwine last few days. When I piss off the deck, some hits the handrail.

The bumbles like drinkin my sticky piss

Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/30/21
I just took this pic

Been drinking a lot of Cheerwine last few days. When I piss off the deck, some hits the handrail.

Can you knock 'em out of the air?
Posted By: Gibby Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I just took this pic

Can you knock 'em out of the air?

Behind the back without turning. Sure, no problem.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/31/21
Had my first big orange wasp on patio yesterday. Solid orange w black wings.

Not the brown and orange striped ones of recent.

Colorphase?
Posted By: worriedman Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1q0LNb8irA

It takes a worried man, to sing a worried song...

Indeed!
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Big red angry wasp... - 07/31/21

Can of spray paint in one hand tennis racket in the other .......................

great exrecise
© 24hourcampfire