Home
https://patch.com/south-dakota/sioux-falls/it-was-good-coors-beer-50-years-ago-ages-fine-wine
not surprised it was sweet. hops fade over time. kind of surprised it didn't taste oxidized though. thats a testament to their canning process.
That’s pretty remarkable. I would have figured it had turned.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
That’s pretty remarkable. I would have figured it had turned.

Yep. Me too.
I have tried a 37 year old can of Falstaff. Didn't kill me. Steel reserve is worse than that.

Taste was not great, but drinkable.
I wuz gonna guess, much like last months batch....guess I was wrong! 😁 memtb
I loved that story. I know the people but had never heard about this. I bet it tasted awful
Can’t be worse than that made last week.
5 day old horse piss instead of 1 day old horse piss.
Beer is not like wine. Beer does not age well. Should be kept in a cool place and drunk within a year. She may not have gotten hospitalized but I can't imagine that can of Coors didn't taste like sh*t.
I have an unopened can of Billy Beer from about 1978. I am a teetotaler and have never drunk alcohol in my life. Should I start my career as a lush on this one?
i have an unopened commemorative can of iron city from last time pirates won the world series in my footlocker in the attic. i know that schit can't be good. it wasn't any good when it was canned. and decades in a 125 attic didn't help any
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have an unopened can of Billy Beer from about 1978. I am a teetotaler and have never drunk alcohol in my life. Should I start my career as a lush on this one?

It Killed ole Billy Carter. 😜
I often hear people say something tastes like piss... I didn't know people drank piss!!! Takes all kinds I guess..
Probably just like Keystone Lite. 🤢
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I often hear people say something tastes like piss... I didn't know people drank piss!!! Takes all kinds I guess..

They claim that hard core survivalists, and astronauts, have acquired a taste for it.
Probably as bad as a new can
The guy probably inherited 17 cases from uncle Earls basement and is looking to auction them off....
As long as the can was never compromised and kept at or below room temperature above freezing, odds are it would be drinkable. Seems that was the case. Neat backstory, anyway.
Coors isn't pasteurized. Never has been.

Drink to your health!
Probably much like recent production. Not much to off the shelf North American beer. Marketing has convinced us that fermented rice and a little water is good stuff.

Bear Grylls.
A braver man than I!
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have an unopened commemorative can of iron city from last time pirates won the world series in my footlocker in the attic. i know that schit can't be good. it wasn't any good when it was canned. and decades in a 125 attic didn't help any

LOL I have a 1979 Super Steelers can with the old pull tab and a Pirates back to back Eastern division championship IC light, both never opened. I wouldn't even think about popping them and drinking.

I also have a 1986 (I think) Penn State undefeated season Pepsi.
I know where there's a couple six packs of Billy Beer.
There is a guy on you tube that eats ww 1 ,ww 2 ,korea ,vietnam military meals,smokes the cigs,drinks the coffee,the works,how he is still alive is a miracle.

Dunno how that happened. One of Coors selling points was it was kept under refrigeration and they didn't put any preservatives in their beer. Case in point, when I left the Panhandle and moved to Houston (1970), Coors distribution pretty much stopped around I-20. Told Mother to bring me a couple cases when she came to visit. Was extremely pi$$ed when the first one I cracked open smelled like rotten eggs. Both cases were that way. Mother told me she bought them at a liquor store where they were not in the cooler.
I had some Miller Lite in the fridge that was over a year old....it went bad.
Originally Posted by Chisos

Dunno how that happened. One of Coors selling points was it was kept under refrigeration and they didn't put any preservatives in their beer. Case in point, when I left the Panhandle and moved to Houston (1970), Coors distribution pretty much stopped around I-20. Told Mother to bring me a couple cases when she came to visit. Was extremely pi$$ed when the first one I cracked open smelled like rotten eggs. Both cases were that way. Mother told me she bought them at a liquor store where they were not in the cooler.

That is quite true. Back in the seventies they always advertised no preservatives, and the Coors was always kept in refrigeration.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

That is quite true. Back in the seventies they always advertised no preservatives, and the Coors was always kept in refrigeration.

That would be the basis for a good movie.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

That would be the basis for a good movie.
Or a sucky one. Maybe Sally Fields could show her tits.
Originally Posted by cuznguido

They claim that hard core survivalists, and astronauts, have acquired a taste for it.

And Kel Tec owners...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th.../02/16/advertising-whod-drink-urine/amp/
Banquet beer on tap is a heavenly thing.

You couldn’t buy Coors where I grew up in Abilene until about 1976 while I was in HS.
back in the sixties, you could not buy Coors East of the Mississippi. We used to road trip from Florida to Texas to buy. Fill up a 59 Buick or similar with cases and cases of beer. Sell them for a buck a can to frat boys back at UF. Loads of fun, but even then, Coors tasted bad.
Originally Posted by AZmark

Like all so-called lite so-called beer it didn’t go bad, it was bad to start with
Can't be much worse than a fresh one.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by AZmark

Like all so-called lite so-called beer it didn’t go bad, it was bad to start with

OK. I stand corrected. It didnt go bad it just got badder.
My favorite is Coors Banquet.
Miller Lite went bad ? Don't see how that could happen to a beer that's horse pizz to start with.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

You couldn’t buy Coors where I grew up in Abilene until about 1976 while I was in HS.

I'm surprised y'all could buy any beer back then. When did Abilene go wet? Where I was raised, you could only buy beer at the 7-11 or the liquor store. Grocery stores didn't sell it and on Sunday's it was illegal to sell any beer in the city limits. There was a little package store right north of the city limit that made a killing on Sundays. State law said they couldn't open up until noon and I remember the cars stacking up on the highway leading out of town, waiting for it to open.
I've got an unopened can of Rheingold on my bar which has a pull tab. Gotta be from the 60's.

-Ken
© 24hourcampfire