Home
Posted By: xxclaro Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I've long realized that my brain doesn't necessarily work quite normally in some area's, and wondered if maybe others share this same problem. I find that some slang terms really annoy me...like to the point of extreme irritational anger. No real rhyme or reason to it either. Sammich? Sounds retarded. Song dog? Retarded. Speed goat, ditch donkey etc, same. Catsup? Yeah I know its not necessarily slang but still trips the little switch in my brain. The latest and worst is "the jab". I don't really GAF about the actual vaccine and it's surrounding propaganda, but that term makes me want to do crime. Even worse is "double jab"....like somehow everyone using stupid slang terms for it makes it cool or something. I dunno, it doesn't make any sense but there it is.

Oh, and buttons. I hate buttons. Buttons are gross looking, stupid shiny little plastic or metal discs. Alot of the time they aren't even necessary or functional but added for some sort of decoration! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I'm not weird, your weird! That is all.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: johnw Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Allll righty then....
Posted By: rong Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've long realized that my brain doesn't necessarily work quite normally in some area's, and wondered if maybe others share this same problem. I find that some slang terms really annoy me...like to the point of extreme irritational anger. No real rhyme or reason to it either. Sammich? Sounds retarded. Song dog? Retarded. Speed goat, ditch donkey etc, same. Catsup? Yeah I know its not necessarily slang but still trips the little switch in my brain. The latest and worst is "the jab". I don't really GAF about the actual vaccine and it's surrounding propaganda, but that term makes me want to do crime. Even worse is "double jab"....like somehow everyone using stupid slang terms for it makes it cool or something. I dunno, it doesn't make any sense but there it is.

Oh, and buttons. I hate buttons. Buttons are gross looking, stupid shiny little plastic or metal discs. Alot of the time they aren't even necessary or functional but added for some sort of decoration! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I'm not weird, your weird! That is all.

But other that,,,, How U doin ??

3 teen and millenial kids there is all kinds of "slang" around here.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Groid slang IF you have to hear it. WTF did that just mumble!?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
A lot of it is amusing.
Posted By: 303savage Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
let me axe you a question?
A ton of people, especially women, under the age of 40 uses the word "perfect" as a catch all universal reply to just about anything. Are you going to pay cash or charge for that? Cash. "Perfect". Are you coming in to work tomorrow? Yes. "Perfect". Do you want fries with that? Yes. "Perfect". Kind of a pet peeve of mine.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Slang used for effect can be funny. Slang due to laziness gets annoying.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Yep, most of it annoys the heck outa me. Another one that wears me slick is everyone thinking they should insert the F word or wtf into about every other sentence or thought. I guess they think it adds emphasis.
The way most younger folk misuse the word literal, gets under my skin.

Them: laughed so hard I literally died.

Me: You managed to recover!

Them: Huh?
Originally Posted by ironbender

How about starting every reply with "honestly"?

Them: "Honestly, blah, blah, blah."
Me: "No please lie to me".
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Did you miss your meds this am?
I mean, like, it literally suck the donkey.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I don't mind the slang but I hate the alphabets, especially when it refers to technology. Most of the time when I look up something technical online, I have spend much more time trying to figure out what the alphabetic terms are referring to.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I don't generally worry about things I have no chance of controlling. What other people say and how they choose to say it isn't on my list of annoyances. I must admit that just about anything Nancy Pelosi or Chuckie Schumer says is pretty annoying.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Different business's have their jargon.

"The boys are picking them green."

A Peoria commission man telling me cattle feeders are selling fat cattle at a lighter weight to get in on high prices.

"That steer strongly resembles his father."
A stag.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I don't even know what "song dog", "speed goat", or "ditch donkey" are.

"The jab" originated as a term to use to use in lieu of "the shot", or "vaccine", etc. in order to try to get around the censor programming on facebook and other websites.

I will say that in general, modern slang and cutesy phrases irritate the living hell out of me.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21

I see your from the way up norths....

Try going thru a Popeyes chicken drive thru. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
Originally Posted by rifletom

Yep. ā€œEbonicsā€ piss me off. As do wetbacks speaking Spanish at the Grocery Store. šŸ˜”
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Ain't got no business telling people how to talk. Some slang is deeply ingrained. Ain't is one word that is. Swell was in the 1920's. Groovy in the 1960's. Etc. However when you can't understand what they are saying like Ebonics or Cajun, different story.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
One that makes me laugh is someone tells me they're going to pull burger or a steak out of the freezer to "de-thaw" said item. I say "so you're going to freeze it then?", and you get that look like you're from Mars, literally. Not really slang, but local terminology that just ain't got no place in decent society. grin
Most of OPā€™s terms donā€™t bother me but ā€œthe jabā€ is slightly annoying. Mostly because I assume that itā€™s left leaning marketing of the vaccine but I really donā€™t know if it is or isnā€™t. Speed goat and song dog doesnā€™t bother me, ditch donkey, must be a deer? Iā€™ve heard them called swamp donkeys. I call pheasants ditch parrots but Iā€™ve never heard ditch donkey before.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21

So you would prefer laces - so you can snug up your shirt like a reverse corset. smile
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
You must hate sports then.

I think it's driven by sportscasters trying to be cutting edge.
As an anti sports person, I laugh.
Everything's an everevolving code. Often harder to say, or more complex than
a simple explanation.

Just like hunting/shooting. Guys use stupid slang to try and appear
super cool. The opposite is true.

They sound more like ghetto idiots trying to be cool,
than professionals using jargon.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Can't stand POTUS and SCOTUS.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Whuzt ah ditch donkey ?

heard of ditch tiger = outside house cat but not a ditch donkey
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Donā€™t understand the slang and street speak blacks use. It seems to evolve every month with another word being added and used incorrectly to describe something that has had an English name for 800 years.

šŸ¦«
Bix nood
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
I don't even know what "song dog", "speed goat", or "ditch donkey" are.

"The jab" originated as a term to use to use in lieu of "the shot", or "vaccine", etc. in order to try to get around the censor programming on facebook and other websites.

I will say that in general, modern slang and cutesy phrases irritate the living hell out of me.
A song dog is a coyote, a speed goat is a pronghorn. I've never heard of a ditch donkey.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't mind the slang but I hate the alphabets, especially when it refers to technology. Most of the time when I look up something technical online, I have spend much more time trying to figure out what the alphabetic terms are referring to.

You mean acronyms?
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
A ton of people, especially women, under the age of 40 uses the word "perfect" as a catch all universal reply to just about anything. Are you going to pay cash or charge for that? Cash. "Perfect". Are you coming in to work tomorrow? Yes. "Perfect". Do you want fries with that? Yes. "Perfect". Kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Thatā€™s a British thing, itā€™s popular over there and a lot of women in large cities like to mimic brit speech thinking it makes them sound sophisticated.

What I hate more than slang are acronyms. For some reason people think that all these screwy acronyms are common knowledge and it makes posts really hard to interpret.
Slang bothers me far less than mis-spoken clichƩs and sayings.

I hear "hone-in" on something, and "unchartered" waters a lot. That's the stuff that bugs me.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Thatā€™s a British thing, itā€™s popular over there and a lot of women in large cities like to mimic brit speech thinking it makes them sound sophisticated.

What I hate more than slang are acronyms. For some reason people think that all these screwy acronyms are common knowledge and it makes posts really hard to interpret.

Brilliant and bespoke seem to be popular terms over there, as well.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

"Bespoke"... ugh. This is a big hipster thing.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

And then there is their abandonment of articles - "in hospital" "Doctor will see you."

Of course we have our own idiocy with "graduated high school".
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
The misuse of words bothers me far more. Hero, for example.
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Grinder is even worse.

Originally Posted by 5sdad

Grinder is even worse.

Did you hear that joke at Subway?
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I

I heard that Napoleon ordered buttons to be added to the cuffs of the Soldier's uniforms so that they would not wipe their noses on the sleeves. Is that functional enough?

Grinder is even worse.

And, that was witty
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Whuzt ah ditch donkey ?

heard of ditch tiger = outside house cat but not a ditch donkey

Ditch donkey is same as swamp donkey, a retarded way to refer to moose. I fully realize none of these things actually matter much and I'm not trying to get people to change anything, its just a thing that bothers me more than it should. Its too hot and dry to do much outside right now, so I'm killing a bit of time till it cools off.

Now you want to talk about stupid words,lets talk about gubernatorial! Who can take something like that seriously? Gubernatorial! Just ridiculous, I tell you!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21

Lighten up Francis!!!!

Now you want to talk about stupid words,lets talk about gubernatorial! Who can take something like that seriously? Gubernatorial! Just ridiculous, I tell you!

I've always HATED that one! Now it's more appropriate, though, as I like to call Andy Beshear our gubernor.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
None of my buds use the word "shotty ".....if they did, proly get blasted.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Shotty, Remmie, Winnie, Springer, etc.... stupid cutesy non-words that make me cringe.

I never could stand anyone calling a transmission a "tranny" either.

If you are into black powder firearms you will hear/read a number of exceptionally irritating cutesy slang words... "flinter", "capper", "rocklock", "smoothie".... all of which make me want to rip out somebody's throat.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Not a major point in life, but I have to admit, when someone says "taters" I cringe just a bit.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I like slang. I don't like people who don't know slang is slang.
I been cannin maters while yall screwin round on the innernets

Grinder is even worse.

Did you hear that joke at Subway?

Nope - I'm just a po-boy. (Though my story's seldom told.)
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Saw on FB. Shortened for brevity.

Couple colored guys. One telling the other to call him Biminouses.

Ok, he says.

Days later.

Hey Biminouses. No answer.

Another steps in to say, "what you saying cuz?"

Uh, he said call him Biminouses.

NO, his name is KC! He said to call him by his initials.
....I never could stand anyone calling a transmission a "tranny" either...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is one of the stupidest-sounding abominations out there.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by hookeye

Shotty, Remmie, Winnie, Springer, etc.... stupid cutesy non-words that make me cringe.

I never could stand anyone calling a transmission a "tranny" either.

If you are into black powder firearms you will hear/read a number of exceptionally irritating cutesy slang words... "flinter", "capper", "rocklock", "smoothie".... all of which make me want to rip out somebody's throat.

You forgot "chassis". Also "Annie" Used by people who can't spell "Anschutz"
Baby Boi gat dat s-arra 22 cah insoants, popo cawt him ridin dirty
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Not a major point in life, but I have to admit, when someone says "taters" I cringe just a bit.

Yes, that's awful, but "maters" is far worse.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Husky. But no, not much is bothersome. 'Cept projectiles and calling brass cases cartridges or rounds. Or points, fuuck! Yeah. Pisses me off. The Rona? What like Uncle Ted sang about?
Posted By: colodog Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Slang doesn't bother me at all. If I don't know what you're talking about, I'll ask

I'm more annoyed with the misuse of pronouns (they, them) and the wrath that this generation spews if I don't abandon common usage and bow to they, them, hijacking proper English.

Example, "They are no longer a girl and you shouldn't refer to them as "her or she" any longer."

I don't care if you're gay or straight, get over yourself and move on.

Check out my Solanum lycopersicums

Posted By: the_shootist Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Black speak is okay for blacks. Coming from white folks it's retarded.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Check out my Solanum lycopersicums

You have a naner tree too?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
I meet all walks of people for work related issues give me your credit card a check or cash and Iā€™ll try to understand what your talking about
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Had a employee of mine tell a a Guatemalan to go [bleep] himself in Italian I donā€™t think it was translated heā€™s still alive
Posted By: old_boots Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21

Bugs me a little when I hear ".257 Bob" for the wonderful, classic .257 Roberts. Dumb asses think it sounds cool.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21

Canadian chicken chain we have here called Mary Brown's(pretty good chicken too) has 'taters on the menu. They always ask "fries or 'taters"" and I usually answer back potatoes. One time I said 'taters, and I swear I could barely utter the word, and then I felt like a damn retard. More than usual, I mean.

Canadian chicken chain we have here called Mary Brown's(pretty good chicken too) has 'taters on the menu. They always ask "fries or 'taters"" and I usually answer back potatoes. One time I said 'taters, and I swear I could barely utter the word, and then I felt like a damn retard. More than usual, I mean.

Do they have spuds?
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Pet peeve of mine is how often people respond to a casual how you doing with.. ā€œehh Iā€™m just really tiredā€
Women say that all the time but they donā€™t have a monopoly on the expression

Also canā€™t stand the term wifey
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Baby talk like Remmy & Leupy certainly are annoying.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
When people say smashed taters instead of mashed potatoes.

Also....any slang ending in -y or -ie.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Pet peeve of mine is how often people respond to a casual how you doing with.. ā€œehh Iā€™m just really tiredā€
Women say that all the time but they donā€™t have a monopoly on the expression

Also canā€™t stand the term wifey

On a somewhat related note. Cannot stand anyone referring to their wife or girlfriend as ā€œtheir old ladyā€ downright disrespectful!
Posted By: DCAN59 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Ah yes, the whole pronoun thing. I'm just going to address those I don't know as, "A**hole". Doesn't imply a gender, race or any other hot button subject.
Posted By: Papag Re: Does slang annoy you? - 07/31/21
Him slang is the worst. Shotty, Remmy, Bang Switch, Running, Tacticool, High Speed/Low Drag, and dozens of others. An Outdoor Life writer even called a gun he was testing a "shotty" and remarked that it "ran everything".
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I canā€™t wait to get old and grouchy.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
The language is degrading fast enough courtesy of the public school system. We need not accelerate the plunge into something like a white version of ebonics.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
There is no there there.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by Papag
Him slang is the worst. Shotty, Remmy, Bang Switch, Running, Tacticool, High Speed/Low Drag, and dozens of others. An Outdoor Life writer even called a gun he was testing a "shotty" and remarked that it "ran everything".

You beat me to the punch. Shooters run everything.

I am running a Colt AR. I am running a Nightforce scope on my Colt. I am running TMKs. I run Nosler brass. My Colt likes to run wet. Does anyone use anything any goddam more?
prissy fugkers
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I canā€™t wait to get old and grouchy.

Who says you have to wait, you can be grouchy right now!

I wouldn't consider myself to be grouchy,actually fairly easy going mostly, which is why I find it odd that stupid little things like a word or expression get to me. Doesn't make any sense.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I do not like the French slang-word for marijuana:

Oui-d
Posted By: Jericho Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I often here the term "Winnie" when referring to a Winchester rifle, sounds silly, but it doesnt bother me. I once heard a guy refer to his Winchester as a "Chester" Im glad that one never caught on....
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Another one is
, I donā€™t give a phu*ck, ... I really donā€™t know I keep using it....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I donā€™t care one smidgin.

I mean what words people use. I try to avoid people.
Posted By: las Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
ir-regardless does it for me- not exactly slang, but it trips the switch. "pill" for bullet....
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Do they have spuds?

That's mostly all we had growing up. Peeled spuds, baked spuds, fried spuds, but, potatoes, they're mashed.

Loggers had some slang that has stayed with me. In college I said jigger-rig, as I was tought as appropriate in such settings, the polite way. Another insisted its Jerry-rig. Dumbest damned thing I ever heard. Guess they hadn't ever heard niigger-rig. Who the hell is Jerry?
Posted By: las Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by DCAN59
Ah yes, the whole pronoun thing. I'm just going to address those I don't know as, "A**hole". Doesn't imply a gender, race or any other hot button subject.

I like it!
I havent heard "Seven Maggie" in a long time either.......
That's a canopy dumbass, not a topper!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
ā€œThe covidā€ā€The pandemicā€ while I been working all along never stopped
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Loggers had some slang that has stayed with me. In college I said jigger-rig, as I was tought as appropriate in such settings, the polite way. Another insisted its Jerry-rig. Dumbest damned thing I ever heard. Guess they hadn't ever heard niigger-rig. Who the hell is Jerry?

He invented a can.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
. . . I'm gobsmacked.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I often here the term "Winnie" when referring to a Winchester rifle, sounds silly, but it doesnt bother me. I once heard a guy refer to his Winchester as a "Chester" Im glad that one never caught on....

Guy across the street is named Winchester. He goes by Chet so I guess that's another option.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

He invented a can.

So, it broke and he wired it up? Oh, bullchit. Com'on Man!
You feel me? No way pervert!

You know what I sayin? No, you might try speaking English!

A blunt? Yah blunt force trauma MFr.

bigsqueeze literally died, and he recovered.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
"Boolit"
No problem does not convey the same message as you're welcome.
Leave it up to someone in the east to call something BLM. Duhhh, that's in use already.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I like skettiā€™
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
If it has a 1200cc engine it is not a scooter!

You are a motorcycle fanatic, not a biker.

I think it's misnomer, however, you generally leave a chit, you don't take one.
All the words used rather than properly saying grandpa and grandma. Nanna? You mean banana?

Realizing a lot of things annoy me!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
LOL !!!
JC ( Jim Conrad)
Gets annoyed when I use alot of Army and Infantry acronyms.

I cant help it JC.

But alotta the cats know stuff I'm typing about.
And writing it completely out would take alot of time .
And explaining alot of the acronyms would take alot of detail for understanding them.

Sorry dude.....
šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜
i have a coworker who uses the word "ninja" instead of the other word
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
You may find this worth looking at: LINK

srsly
Posted By: Stophel Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You may find this worth looking at: LINK

srsly

I'm sure I've done this test before. I am at near Rain Man levels of Autism.
People with little stupid dogs that think I want to watch them piss and chit acting like I should be commenting on how wonderful they are. Oh, yah, slang.... Tinkle. Make doo doo

Samurai?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

alot
Posted By: DHN Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

I hear "hone-in" on something, and "unchartered" waters a lot. That's the stuff that bugs me.

This. Another one is "I could care less."
Sensitive lot.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
That's a canopy dumbass, not a topper!

We've been thru this enough times, by now I thought you'd get with the program.

It's a CAMPER SHELL.

Sheesh.
In regards to "Does slang annoy you?"

Prolly.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

Samurai?

Bushido?
Posted By: mart Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
When I conduct a shotgun qualification, I let them know that anyone who refers to their weapon as a shotty or a gauge is an automatic fail. Both sound retarded to me and rankle me to no end.
Posted By: mart Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
And irregardless. Itā€™s regardless. I know itā€™s not really slang but whenever I hear someone say irregardless Iā€™m tempted to see if a well executed backhand across the mouth would help. Doubtful. Plus I am not too keen on going to jail.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

Pomme du terre, nā€™est pas?

Do they have spuds?

That's mostly all we had growing up. Peeled spuds, baked spuds, fried spuds, but, potatoes, they're mashed.

Jury-rigged means something was assembled quickly with the materials on hand. Jerry-built means it was cheaply or poorly built. Jerry-rigged is a variant of jury-rigged, and it may have been influenced by jerry-built. While some people consider it to be an incorrect version of jury-rigged, itā€™s widely used, especially in everyday speech.

What does jury-rigged mean?
The word jury has a few different meanings. It can be a group of people that decides the verdict in a legal case or a group of people who judge a contest. Via French, this jury goes back to a Latin verb meaning ā€œto swear (an oath),ā€ also seen in words like perjury.

But, in the nautical world, jury means ā€œmakeshiftā€ or ā€œtemporary.ā€ The origin of this jury isnā€™t exactly known.

The word rig is also a nautical term. As a verb, it means ā€œto fit a ship or mast with the necessary elements (such as shrouds and sails).ā€ More generally, it means ā€œto assemble.ā€ Together, these words become jury-rigged by the late 18th century.

A jury-rig, as a noun, is a temporary solution thatā€™s built to replace something thatā€™s been broken or lost overboard. The word can also be used as a verb. For example: ā€œShe jury-rigged a new topmast after hers broke in the wind.ā€ Although this expression is rooted in the nautical world, it can refer to any makeshift, MacGyver-like fix: ā€œHe jury-rigged a raincoat from garbage bag in the garage.ā€

https://www.dictionary.com/e/jury-rigged-vs-jerry-rigged/
Posted By: deflave Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

Most any bastardization of the English language annoys me. To include the dumb fugks from the south that can't pronounce basic words, grown men that say "pasghetti" and think it's cute, or grown women that say "preggers" instead of pregnant.

I'd be fine with it being a hanging offense.

Originally Posted by deflave

Most any bastardization of the English language annoys me. To include the dumb fugks from the south that can't pronounce basic words, grown men that say "pasghetti" and think it's cute, or grown women that say "preggers" instead of pregnant.

Itā€™s sketti..
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Itā€™s sketti..

I hope you die in your sleep this evening.

LOL
šŸ˜†
Posted By: slumlord Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
PEETZUH !!!

PREZACTLY!

I shall now go off into the wilderness to die, as is proper.
Posted By: kingston Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
'Prolly' really grates my cheese.
Originally Posted by kingston
'Prolly' really grates my cheese.

laugh
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

Do they have spuds?

Jury-rigged means something was assembled quickly with the materials on hand. Jerry-built means it was cheaply or poorly built. Jerry-rigged is a variant of jury-rigged, and it may have been influenced by jerry-built. While some people consider it to be an incorrect version of jury-rigged, itā€™s widely used, especially in everyday speech.

The word jury has a few different meanings. It can be a group of people that decides the verdict in a legal case or a group of people who judge a contest. Via French, this jury goes back to a Latin verb meaning ā€œto swear (an oath),ā€ also seen in words like perjury.

But, in the nautical world, jury means ā€œmakeshiftā€ or ā€œtemporary.ā€ The origin of this jury isnā€™t exactly known.

The word rig is also a nautical term. As a verb, it means ā€œto fit a ship or mast with the necessary elements (such as shrouds and sails).ā€ More generally, it means ā€œto assemble.ā€ Together, these words become jury-rigged by the late 18th century.

A jury-rig, as a noun, is a temporary solution thatā€™s built to replace something thatā€™s been broken or lost overboard. The word can also be used as a verb. For example: ā€œShe jury-rigged a new topmast after hers broke in the wind.ā€ Although this expression is rooted in the nautical world, it can refer to any makeshift, MacGyver-like fix: ā€œHe jury-rigged a raincoat from garbage bag in the garage.ā€

Afro Engineering
AKA: N i g g e r Rigged

Either can be used as a compliment in the way of you thought up something that will work well with what you had.

Or as a WTF way as in that schitt aint gonna work.
WTF are you thinking type of way.

Down here in the dirty south...
šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Lazine instead of lasagna.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
ā€œImmaā€ has came to be common usage in the last few years, not just verbally, but in writing.

ā€œImma go to the storeā€ vs ā€œI am going to go to the store.ā€

Most of the cutesy nicknames do not bother me, sure many of them are dumb, but being so dumb and lazy as to not only saying Imma, but also typing it, and not knowing it is not an actual word, is mind blowing to me.

Then the whole to/too, your/youā€™re, their/there/theyā€™re drives me nuts when I see it used incorrectly. What really chaps me is reading my writing and seeing that I have used it incorrectly.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Then the whole to/too, your/youā€™re, their/there/theyā€™re drives me nuts when I see it used incorrectly. What really chaps me is reading my writing and seeing that I have used it incorrectly.

Ditto.
I think that is in the subconscious from reading the spelling and grammar on here.

The south certainly doesn't have a monopoly on that.

Some people take the "l" out of walk. Let's take a wok and have a good tok. If you are from Mahtha's Vinyahd, you probably take the "r" out of words like Coast God.

Nobody bastardizes English more than the the various sub-cultures in south LA.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by mart
And irregardless. Itā€™s regardless. I know itā€™s not really slang but whenever I hear someone say irregardless Iā€™m tempted to see if a well executed backhand across the mouth would help. Doubtful. Plus I am not too keen on going to jail.

I worked with a safety director for a few years that constantly bragged up the fact that his wife was an English teacher. He used irregardless and mute instead of moot as standard form. Over schooled and under educated we used to say.....

Joining here, and often typing in haste has made me realize my grammar ain't close to perfect.
Friends in Scotland laughed at me every time I said ā€œfixinā€™"

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Friends in Scotland laughed at me every time I said ā€œfixinā€™"

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Do you call that thing in a wall you can see through a winduh?
Itā€™s ā€œwinderā€!

Hold into the soda lime.
I think some folks are confusing slang with dialects and colloquialisms.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

Hannity misuses the word "Literally" about once every fifteen minutes. Just another reason I can't stand to listen to him any more.
Posted By: Captain Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
What gets me lately is people dropping the letter T in their annunciation. Patent becomes pah-en. Litigant becomes li-igan. Even people reporting the news are doing it.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
What annoys me people who add (ah) on to the ending word on a sentence. ( Like) I knowah !

'ppreciate your clarification.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The south certainly doesn't have a monopoly on that.

Some people take the "l" out of walk. Let's take a wok and have a good tok. If you are from Mahtha's Vinyahd, you probably take the "r" out of words like Coast God.

Nobody bastardizes English more than the the various sub-cultures in south LA.

Iā€™m not talking about accents.

Iā€™m talking about purposefully mispronouncing words or saying stupid schit like ā€œMeeMawā€ or ā€œPawPaw.ā€
Posted By: viking Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Not as much as grammar/speech nazis.

Texas has slang, but a lot of people want to move there, same with Montana and the west.

Anyone hear anybody say lately, I want to move to California, New Jersey, New York or Massachusetts, hell even Minnesota. Nope, I didnā€™t think so.

Yes.

And not related to the OP but I cannot stand when people wonā€™t use pronouns.

ā€œDad came by Sunday night to watch the game.ā€

You mean YOUR dad came by Sunday night to watch the game? Iā€™m not your brother you stupid fugkin hick.
Originally Posted by viking
Not as much as grammar/speech nazis.

Texas has slang, but a lot of people want to move there, same with Montana and the west.

Anyone hear anybody say lately, I want to move to California, New Jersey, New York or Massachusetts, hell even Minnesota. Nope, I didnā€™t think so.

If all the Californians die Iā€™d be happy to move there.

LOL
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I've always enjoyed different dialects and slang within any language especially those from America.

First exposure and memories of are from my German Irish grandmother.

I loved to listen to her talk as a kid she was a larger than life figure on the maternal side of the family. She named my first child and took me to get my license at sixteen.

She was an active IRA supporter as well.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
collage people that can't spell a simple 5 letter word.. there-their.
Originally Posted by Hubert

You tell ā€˜em.

Schit donā€™t get hard until the seven letter words.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Do people that fuss over everyday language use get upset when others aren't being controlled enough by the powers that be to suit them?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Correct, but this has become a therapeutic place where we can vent our frustration over all of the lazy-assed abuse of the language.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

I'm just gonna have to try and forget I saw this....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by rifletom

To answer the question of the thread, yes, especially groid slang when used by white people.

They could if they went to college. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted By: mathman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21

They could if they went to college. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Maybe not these days.

You tell ā€˜em.

Schit donā€™t get hard until the seven letter words.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I canā€™t help thinking but yā€™all do realize that pussy is slang for booger, and for snatch, and for muff, and for furburger, and for hairy clam, and for tang ( and a whole subset of slang words on that one), and for hair pie and for thousands of other slang words FOR OUR FAVORITE SLANG WORD!!! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by mart
When I conduct a shotgun qualification, I let them know that anyone who refers to their weapon as a shotty or a gauge is an automatic fail. Both sound retarded to me and rankle me to no end.

Shotty is one I have never heard anyone say. Now shoddy I have heard. To fail someone because you don't like how they talk, means you shouldn't be doing any qualifying. Shoddy work!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Saw on FB. Shortened for brevity.

Couple colored guys. One telling the other to call him Biminouses.

Ok, he says.

Days later.

Another steps in to say, "what you saying cuz?"

Uh, he said call him Biminouses.

NO, his name is KC! He said to call him by his initials.

I donā€™t get it.
Posted By: viking Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I canā€™t help thinking but yā€™all do realize that pussy is slang for booger, and for snatch, and for muff, and for furburger, and for hairy clam, and for tang ( and a whole subset of slang words on that one), and for hair pie and for thousands of other slang words FOR OUR FAVORITE SLANG WORD!!! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

And beaver my GF says her tool boxšŸ˜†
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Anyways!

Donā€™t know the difference between ā€˜their and thereā€™ or were or where!!

Easy to tell their age brackets!
Posted By: SKane Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
I could probably do without "shooter" and "shooter-buck."
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by DHN

This. Another one is "I could care less."

Well why dontcha??
Well this is nice, seems I am totally normal after all. Not getting much support on the button issue, but I'm sure that's just because the language issue is so hot right now.
I don't get irritated by the trivial things other people do, but I'm bothered by my own sloppy speech.

I say "gonna"
hafta
wanna
s'posed'ta
coulda

I contract "I will not" to something like "um'not" and instead of just contracting "we are ready" to "we're ready" I will also contract "boxes're ready" "wheels're ready" and so on.

I say "goin'"
lookin'

I run words together like "can we" as "canwee"

I use the word "got" instead of some form of to have.

I'm sure there are many other habits of speech that I would change if I were more mindful of them.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Ubetcha, I kind of like the sound of Ubetcha! Knowing it's an irritable word, its use will continue with abound!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by ingwe

They were all pasted together.
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I don't get irritated by the trivial things other people do, but I'm bothered by my own sloppy speech.

I say "gonna"
hafta
wanna
s'posed'ta
coulda

I contract "I will not" to something like "um'not" and instead of just contracting "we are ready" to "we're ready" I will also contract "boxes're ready" "wheels're ready" and so on.

I say "goin'"
lookin'

I run words together like "can we" as "canwee"

I use the word "got" instead of some form of to have.

I'm sure there are many other habits of speech that I would change if I were more mindful of them.

This sort of thing doesn't bother me as much because I understand why we do it. We try to communicate in as efficient a manner as possible so naturally we trim things down and jam words together. Not quite on the level as germans yet, I'd say. It's more about the use of certain words or style of speech in an attempt to identify with a group.

Yes.

You mean YOUR dad came by Sunday night to watch the game? Iā€™m not your brother you stupid fugkin hick.

Ooopsies. You botched that one.

Try and or try to?

Try and or try to?

This is a slang bitchfest, not a grammer nazi convention,I must insist you take your grievances elsewhere!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Running off the good guys was Plan A

Using slang, ebonics and Appalachian dialects to finish off the twƔts. Plan B

šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜‚

Originally Posted by slumlord
Running off the good guys was Plan A

Using slang, ebonics and Appalachian dialects to finish off the twƔts. Plan B

šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜‚

Humor covers a multitude of sins. As one of the funnier characters here,you will need to dial back the humor if you wish to succeed. I could also suggest typing in angry caps, ranting nonsensically about obscure topics and alienating friend and foe alike for any hint of disagreement with any position you hold. This is the way.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
Language changes.

Here are the opening lines of The Canterbury Tales, written between 1387 and 1400:

Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote,
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licĆ³ur
Of which vertĆŗ engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye,
So priketh hem NatĆŗre in hir corages,
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially, from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

Who knows what our language will look like 634 years hence?
Posted By: mathman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/01/21
That was Middle English.

We're transitioning into End State Gibberish.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by mathman
That was Middle English.

We're transitioning into End State Gibberish.

Middle English looks like gibberish now.

Maybe weā€™re the ones speaking gibberish.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
I do better with Middle English than Jive.
Iā€™m still hoping someone can explain the ā€œ Biminousesā€ post.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I'll have to guess he meant "by my initials".....
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Go to a pub in Yorkshire, I had my wife as a translator. Took a tour of a castle in Edinburgh and the guide might as well have been speaking Maori. English is a flexible language.

mike r
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I'll have to guess he meant "by my initials".....

The light came on, thanks.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Go to a pub in Yorkshire, I had my wife as a translator. Took a tour of a castle in Edinburgh and the guide might as well have been speaking Maori. English is a flexible language.

mike r

Was at McDonald's in Dryden, sitting next to a table of old men. After a time, it dawned on me that they were speaking English.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by 700LH
Do people that fuss over everyday language use get upset when others aren't being controlled enough by the powers that be to suit them?

I was seeing if anyone would catch that..
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Pard
Pawdnuh

(not that there's anythig wrong with that)
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21

I find this funny ... ironic. I don't direct this at you, just .. triggers a comment.

I work in an I.T. shop. We provide service for a couple dozen different business units each having their own unique set of acronyms often with overlap .. same letters meaning different things. Our "users" bitch a lot about I.T. using acronyms. True enough, but we are one department with one set. The same overall group of people who whine about having to learn part of our set think NOTHING of expecting us to learn their dozen to two dozen sets of acronyms and know which to use in which setting. Also we're supposed to somehow know how to do everyone's job better than they know it by doing it every day for decades so we can remind them when they forget. Argh. "I.T. is tired of hearing it."
Posted By: hanco Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
No. Not a bit
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
Anyone who uses terms like shotty, maggy, winny, remmy, and such, or calls ammunition "bullets" is granted moron status.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/02/21
What kind of "furniture" do you "run" on your AR?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Well men, anything that tries to weaken any "Swear words."
Posted By: ironbender Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Well men, anything that tries to weaken any "Swear words."

Da fugk you taking about?
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by renegade50

Do they have spuds?

Afro Engineering
AKA: N i g g e r Rigged

Either can be used as a compliment in the way of you thought up something that will work well with what you had.

Or as a WTF way as in that schitt aint gonna work.
WTF are you thinking type of way.

Down here in the dirty south...
šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

Used to tell Dad he had a PHD in Afro-Engineering.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
I hate when people use the wrong tense. We was going to the store. You be looking fine.
Posted By: Clintopher Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Misuse of literally is a big one for me.

Also tired of hearing woke.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I find this funny ... ironic. I don't direct this at you, just .. triggers a comment.

I work in an I.T. shop. We provide service for a couple dozen different business units each having their own unique set of acronyms often with overlap .. same letters meaning different things. Our "users" bitch a lot about I.T. using acronyms. True enough, but we are one department with one set. The same overall group of people who whine about having to learn part of our set think NOTHING of expecting us to learn their dozen to two dozen sets of acronyms and know which to use in which setting. Also we're supposed to somehow know how to do everyone's job better than they know it by doing it every day for decades so we can remind them when they forget. Argh. "I.T. is tired of hearing it."

Do you use the Acronym DFU?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Sup
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Nah mean?
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
I could make some comments here - but I don't like to throw shade!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Sup

yo, homie.

Howzit
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by Clintopher
Misuse of literally is a big one for me.

Also tired of hearing woke.

Welcome to the freak show!
Posted By: horse1 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
There, their, and they're. Where, wear, we're.

Un-thaw

To, Too, two

Irregardless
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
What (fill in the blank) are you "running" on your rifle...
Posted By: RufusG Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21

I long for the day that "quim" comes back into style.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21

Yes.

Sounds like you have adapted to living in Flori-DUH....
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Fo shizzle it do
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21

Or..."which bullet heads do you guys like in the 300 BO"
Awesome.
Or people who answer every question beginning with , "So,......"
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
There is a speech pattern that got cranked up about 10 years ago that is most irritating. I call it "Liberal speech" because almost all Libs were doing it. This involves repeated use of "kind of" and "sort of" and "you know."
Liberals like to be vague and it leaves all kinds of room for error when you say "kind of" and "sort of" in every other sentence. And if a Lib is really cranked up they will say "kind of" and "sort of" twice each in the same sentence. And after all, if "you know" already then they don't have to explain anything to you.

If you ever watch MSNBC or CNN you will see these speech patterns used incessantly. Very rare to see this on Fox News.
Posted By: mathman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

Or..."which bullet heads do you guys like in the 300 BO"

"What grain bullet?"
Posted By: Robster Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
I hate when they use wheels for run fast. When my kids were in school, standing on the sidelines at their lacrosse games. Ball would be passed and someone would yell Wheels (insert kids name) Get wheels!!! Still grates me to this day.

I dunno why tho!
Posted By: JeffP Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
I down wid it
Long as dey be spitting truth bars.....
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Hot water heater.

Bet that's some hot ass water.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
ā€œBuildā€ is a verb..
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
"Gift" is a noun. Somehow in the past 12 years it has been converted into a verb, especially among Liberals.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
ā€œBuildā€ is a verb..

There is probably no word I have grown to hate more in the past few years than "build"....

"My latest build". "What's your next build?" "Working on this build." "I built this rifle." "On the next gun I build..."

Slapping store-bought parts together like LEGO's, and you think you're a gunsmith....

Makes me want to scream.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/05/21
How could I forget this one. "Kit." Bicyclists call their matching outfits "kit." For the love of Christ and all that is holy, we wear cut-off yoga pants with a Depends sewn to the crotch. We don't need any damn help gaying up our image.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Does slang annoy you? - 08/05/21
What annoys me, is ignorant internet posters who bloviate against terms that are regionalisms or colloquialisms...
© 24hourcampfire