Home
Posted By: kaboku68 I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.
Posted By: Barryt Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Don't feel bad, lately I've mentioned Elmer or Jack to a few and they'd never heard of them! I find it's the same thing when showing rifles and mentioning stockmakers like Fisher, Kennedy, Goudy, ........ I just get a blank look! But they all discuss the plastic stocks and the manufacturers! And most have never heard of the old prime calibers that got the job done with cast bullets!

It's turned into another world and history is not important, ....... if a question is asked, everyone pulls a phone and starts to Google!
Posted By: jdm953 Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Was talking to my daughter about this vaccine foolishness. Told her I remember getting the Polio vaccine and got the deer in the head lights look. Yep we is old.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
A 686 will outshoot anything made by Colt including these newfangled Pythons.

There. Feel better now?
Posted By: Gibby Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Except for the heavy's. The Colt has a faster twist.

Give a 686 the Tubbs treatment and you have a fine shooter. Then there is the trigger comparison.
Elmer, little bulshitartist in a big hat,, Oconner, yep more of the same, they could write a fancy line
I definitely know what you mean at 48.
My best friend retired a little over a month ago.
He knew guns “backwards and forwards” as the saying goes.
We talked about guns nearly every day and did our fair share of tradin’ and such.
Most of the guys I work with own guns and several of them hunt but they don’t “know” guns like my buddy did.
He and his family have now moved to Colorado. He bought a 1956 Winchester Model 70 right before he left in 30-06.
He sold me a nice Smith Model 15 to help finance that purchase.
Sure miss him.
Posted By: arkypete Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
I'm 73 and ever so thankful for having grown up surrounded by the heroes of WWII. WWI and Korea. My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon. The young fellas of today have a tough row to hoe. I feel sorry for my grandsons the nation we are leaving them is on the decline.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.

It only gets worse.
Posted By: bluefish Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
51 here and get it. Have a BIL teaching his 11 year old to hunt. Plastic Savage with detach mag and accu trigger. He is a Tikka and Remington man. My talk when he was here about a 1909 I'm using as the basis for a 7x57 for daughter was met with blank stares. I mentioned a good 2 stage Mauser trigger works like an accutrigger was also met with blanks stares. Egad. He said they want to hit at 600 yards. I suggested he pretend his rifle is his bow and get closer. He didn't seem to understand that either.
Kaboko68: Imagine what "changes" in attitudes, perceptions and popularity of armaments that someone 74 years of age (me!) has seen in their lifetime!
I went into a gunshop a few months back and there was NOT a Rifle, nor a pistol, with any wood on any of them!
Black guns and black pistols are the rage nowadays and have been for some time - I agree they have a place and have uses but NOT to the exclusion of traditional arms - IMO.
Times they are a changin, for sure.
And sorry to hear of the loss of your Father and Uncle - I hope they are resting in peace.
You touch on another point there - we, including you and me - only live ONCE!
I plan on intentionally enjoying every minute of every day for the rest of my life!
And that includes buying, collecting, shooting and Hunting with guns that "I" prefer/enjoy/admire.
Including the 4 Smith & Wesson pre-lock Model 686's I now own.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hookeye Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
I only hang out w old guys.

Well.one is a kid, 30 ish. He shoots recurve and Contenders.

His mentor is a dude older than me.

Kid is ate the fugg up about hunting and fishing.

Like I used to be, like we all proly used to be

Makes me smile.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21

Ha, ENJOY it while it lasts. It only gets worse.

We used to ride dirt bikes through the forest to scout deer trails and look for caves to explore carrying a pen light in one pocket and a pistol on my hip as standard equipment. Rafting, dirt bikes, hiking camping something like that every weekend. Probably 10 or so of us in revolving different people camping "off grid" every weekend with wifes and kids.

Now they are all dead, moved on, some guys got new girlfriends but mostly are just sick or gone. COPD, arthritis, COVID, heart attacks. Even if you find a few here and there who SAY they want to hunt, learn to hunt or try it out for a day, they think picking up a sack of corn at Walmart and hauling it to the end of their lot on a lawnmower to pour in the feeder is hunting. Then they'll move the mower out of the utility shed come the weekend of gun season and sit in there to shoot out the window with their 300 Lapui Grendali magnum and call the wife and kids on the cell to help 'em load it in the family truckster for a trip to the processor.

Heaven forbid they get a mosquito bite out there. Means a trip to the doctor and Lyme disease shots the rest of the summer.
Posted By: g5m Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
I am still surprised at how few people know anything about guns. I'm an old guy and practically every kid I knew growing up knew about guns. Now, with the state crowded with coastal transplants the lack of knowledge is very real. And there is little interest from the general population it seems.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
There's no longer an appreciation for blued steel and walnut and the ART of gunmaking.
Originally Posted by arkypete
I'm 73 and ever so thankful for having grown up surrounded by the heroes of WWII. WWI and Korea. My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon. The young fellas of today have a tough row to hoe. I feel sorry for my grandsons the nation we are leaving them is on the decline.

That’s pretty wild to think about. That for someone your age the amount of change that would have occurred over your grandparents lifetimes.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
I dont feel old as much as I feel like I am being left behind. Things are changing and I liked things better the way they were. Guns that are blued steel and walnut. Leather holsters, boots and gloves. Wool jackets. Strike anywhere matches. Canvas wall tents. Coleman lanterns that make that hissing sound. Pumping up the Coleman stove. Red Skelton and Hee Haw.
Some things are definitely better. Cars last longer and have better air conditioners. Cell phones are handy but not essential. Optics have far exceeded my requirements. Electronics have far exceeded my desire to learn to use them. Darbyshire has a nice 22 rifle.
Posted By: Huntz Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Elmer, little bulshitartist in a big hat,, Oconner, yep more of the same, they could write a fancy line

Well, you never read Elmer.
After reading through this thread I just bid on a nice no dash S&W 586.
Posted By: Huntz Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Save yourself $4,000 and by a Cooper with great wood and shoots a house a fire.Get it in 30-06 or 270 and go kill stuff and quit whining.After all, folks in China are trying to kill you.
Half, maybe more, of the young guys I know, come around here to use the range, or have accuracy questions, whatever...have been raised by Mom. Not bad young men, just not exposed to the gun and hunting culture like us 70 somethings. For instance, I went to a high school that fielded a smallbore rifle team and had a well equipped indoor range. I can't tell you how many kids taking woodshop built rifle stocks for their senior year. My junior high school hosted Remington exhibition shooters...for years the school proudly displayed in the trophy case a large copper sheet with the near perfect silhouette of an Indian head in full warbonnet outlined with .22 caliber bulletholes. That's gun culture.
Posted By: AZmark Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
I hear ya! Just turned 67 and I've taught both my sons a lot about guns and all my old models are going to them someday, hopefully before I croak. When they were small I would take them to gun shows with me where they inadvertently learned a lot. I bought a new Python also in 1973 for $125, still have it. Got two Win model 12s one in 20 and one in 12 both with factory ribs mfg 54 and 57. And the list goes on.

Anytime you want to talk old guns just send me a PM.
Posted By: VernAK Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Well, I'm bumping 80 and here I sit with a hunting season opening today. Federal Subsistence Caribou Season opened today but It's to damned hot to handle meat and then there's the bugs.
I'm only a month away from waterfowl and moose seasons but I have to catch a few lake trout first.

I have two great-nephews that have picked up on guns and hunting and we're having a great time as they transition from black street guns to accurate bolt guns. We were recently at the range where I was shooting my new Volquartzen 17HMR and shooting holes in quarters at 100 yards.They soon realized that their magazine dump shooting was seldom on the paper. Good young men that grew up on the East Coast and Europe but they are turning this way rapidly.

We old phardtz are fading fast and I can't believe some of the nice collections I'm seeing in gun stores. A recent trip to Los Anchorage revealed a multitude of Winchester lever guns in Great Northern Guns and Boondocks.Wonderful old Stevens single shots and even a bunch of Marlins in Fairbanks at Wood and Steel.
Posted By: Windfall Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Well, you never read Elmer.

Elmer sold out to the advertisers. I lost all respect for the man when he wrote that the post-64 M70 was better than the pre-64. That post-64 was my first centerfire and a post is exactly what it handled like. I'd turned down a mint pre-war M70 from my neighbor for the same kind of money. Elmer's 600 yard wounded mule deer shot with his M29 .44 Magnum read like a stretch for me also. Jack's book "The Rifle" was a good read from the library.

Getting a little gray around the muzzle myself, so a few months back I photographed all my guns and cataloged them with a description and gave each of my sons a copy asking which of any they would like someday. Crickets. I'm afraid their idea of getting outdoors is mowing the lawn or jumping in the Polaris 1000 cc UTV and raising dust.
Everything changes, and not necessarily for the Better!

I'm Semi Retired, and Agree with you guy's!

We've lowered our standards in this Country, to accept mediocrity!

I still respect, and miss the old Timers, and Old days!

The greatest generation is almost gone now!

Just a few remain, and named that for a reason!

I tip my Hat!
Add 25 years to that and you will be really disappointed. About all that is left on the fire here are wise asses or trolls who post some insane thread that is about Covid, political nonsense, or some other subject so far removed from the intent of this forum.

You are not old.

You are Classic.

You now have the mantle of responsibility to preserve the old ways for the next generation.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Add 25 years to that and you will be really disappointed. About all that is left on the fire here are wise asses or trolls who post some insane thread that is about Covid, political nonsense, or some other subject so far removed from the intent of this forum.

True but many things get discussed around The Campfires everywhere’s.
Ask the youngsters about there mobile phones and they are all gurus about that!! Firearms?? Wouldn’t know sheep s hit from shineola!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by saddlesore

True but many things get discussed around The Campfires everywhere’s.

True,but mostly not what some of the post on here are and after one page they all degrade into a pi$$ing contest. Usually by the same crowd. Anything relevant or useful appears on the first page
We boomers lived in the best of times when we were in our prime, I honestly believe that. I am actually proud of our generation, surely we weren't as great as the WW ll generation but still did pretty good.
I had a young guy take me to the verbal woodshed here on the 'Fire, because I couldn't figure out how to post links and photos...and I'm guilty of that and ashamed really, children can do it apparently, but I am too lazy to take a night course a hundred miles round trip to learn. I backed away from a tit pulling, but I wanted to ask him if he could build a road, a dam, a bridge, did he help build an oilfield, did he help build a pipeline? I wanted to tell him I could take my grandsons to places these things were accomplished, and say, boys, I helped build that. I wanted to ask him if he planned to show his grandsons the buttons he pushed in the proper sequence, to achieve his goals. But, there was no point, he wouldn't even know what I was talking about. Worlds apart.

Very much liked your statement... My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon.

So true for many of us.
Posted By: ledvm Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
I dont feel old as much as I feel like I am being left behind. Things are changing and I liked things better the way they were. Guns that are blued steel and walnut. Leather holsters, boots and gloves. Wool jackets. Strike anywhere matches. Canvas wall tents. Coleman lanterns that make that hissing sound. Pumping up the Coleman stove. Red Skelton and Hee Haw.
Some things are definitely better. Cars last longer and have better air conditioners. Cell phones are handy but not essential. Optics have far exceeded my requirements. Electronics have far exceeded my desire to learn to use them. Darbyshire has a nice 22 rifle.

Can’t put better words ^^^ to it.

57 here but grew up in an environment similar to most 70 & 80 year old rural folks.
Posted By: smarquez Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by g5m
I am still surprised at how few people know anything about guns. I'm an old guy and practically every kid I knew growing up knew about guns. Now, with the state crowded with coastal transplants the lack of knowledge is very real. And there is little interest from the general population it seems.

My son moved to South Dakota last year and took a Sears Model 53 in 30-06 (post 64 M70) with him. He went into a store with it and the smith there was amazed he had that rifle and they have struck up a bit of a friendship. When he left, he didn't ask for an AR. He will be hunting in SD this fall.
I recently had a long conversation with my friend's 10 year old son while he was sitting in my UTV about 2 weeks ago. We ran across them on their way to go fishing at a little pond back in the woods.

The boy talked to me about the turkey he got this spring and then got his father's phone and showed me some pictures of it. We also talked about last deer season and plans for this coming season. He too shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor and his manhood doesn't appear to be threatened in the least.

Last fall, a few mornings before school started (he was 9), we would sneak out with a 410 and killed a few doves and a squirrel at the bird feeder behind the house. He skinned the squirrel and breasted the doves and gave them to his mom and said he wanted them for dinner when he came home from school.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith never came up in our conversation, or walnut stocked guns and Blackjack gum. Just a good conversation with an all American boy, doing all American things, telling me HIS story and not the stories of someone in print.

After talking with him for about 45 minutes, he grabbed his fishing rod joined mom at the pond to fish.

You couldn't ask for better.
Very interesting.. I am 74, my great grandchildren are a bit of a disappointment to me, but they are really step children, so I guess.. My step family likes guns and shooting, but not the way I do.. I am lucky I guess I still have a couple older and younger pals to talk guns with.. But as someone said, we have seen the best of times.. I used to travel to W. Va. to hunt deer, there were hundreds.. Now with development and a lazy game commission, it isn't worth the time to go.. Sad.. It is still okay in my area, but just okay..
Posted By: AKduck Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Hasn't been a problem around here for me. 36 though....seems like half the town is spinning up various rifles.
I am 48, been pissed since I was a kid at all the stuff I missed by being born too late. Looking at old Shotgun News issues from the early 60’s and liking history like I did ruined me for life. Have wished for most of my life to have been born in the 1850’s or thereabouts. Anytime from then to the 1880’s would have been prime.

America and the world are not what they used to be. Part of the reason for the black gun frenzy is the world we live in. Folks are scared, pissed or both. Hard to appreciate a high grade walnut stocked pre-war Model 70 when you are watching communism devour your country and way of life. I wish my safe was full of old Winchesters, but its not. It is full of things of purpose. Just now beginning to accumulate some of the things I drooled over as a kid, and its a lot harder and more expensive that it was. Lots of folks won’t ever have the money, and never knew what they missed, to start with.
Posted By: 1minute Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/01/21
Yes. One damned near has to special order to secure a wood stock. I don't even pause when passing a plastic gun rack.

What makes me feel old is seeing trees I planted that were the size of a No. 2 pencil (remember those), and they're now 30 ft tall and providing a ton of shade.
You just helped me buy a gun OP. Reading through this thread reminded me how much I’ve been wanting a pre 64 model 70 and a S&W 586 or 686. I just placed the winning bid on a S&W no dash nickel plated 586 with original box:)
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
You just helped me buy a gun OP. Reading through this thread reminded me how much I’ve been wanting a pre 64 model 70 and a S&W 586 or 686. I just placed the winning bid on a S&W no dash nickel plated 586 with original box:)

Just in case you weren't aware.

https://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm
Posted By: lvmiker Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
The guns, gear, boots etc are all far better now than when I was a kid. What I miss is wide open spaces w/ 1/2 the population. The guys I regularly shoot with are 1/2 my age, skilled and always eager to learn and try new stuff. I feel lucky that they want to hang w/ me.

What really sucks is trying to get good tags on a regular basis and not being able to walk uphill alll day w/ a big pack.grin

mike r
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Just in case you weren't aware.

https://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

Thanks Ray. It has the M stamp.

I would have told you a 686 was a better revolver. I wouldn't mind owning an older Python though.
Posted By: Papag Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
76 and been a gun guy since I found a 1944 Gun Digest of dads. Starting to read with it was way more fun than the Dick dickin Jane books we had in school. I met a few of the lesser writers, Monte, Steindler, Ackerman and corresponded with Skelton and others. Several of my friends were into it and we were in the golden age (58-65) of surplus gems. I bought something every two weeks. Now, I have a few friends in my gun club, older like myself who know guns but most are specialized into rimfires, cast bullets, tactical handguns, ARs and such. 96% of my collection is walnut and blue steel. I'm the club guru on reloading which is scary but I've saved a few eyes or hands, I'm sure. I've gotten into many things, black powder from 68-80, cast bullets competition in the late 70s, early 80s. Heavy into trap since 78. The new kids in our club buy new, like plastic, and most don't reload. Some of the older guys reload shotgun and about die when their favorite powder is discontinued. My favorite guns in the safe, 1953 M70 30-06, 1947 M12 Skeet, M19 Smith, M15 Smith, Browning Superposed Lightning and an 1892 Winchester my brother and I had converted to 357 during the "Rifleman" years.
Trap gun #1 is an 870 from 1975 with about 300K rounds through it. It is fun to take the cash from a squad shooting 725 Trap Combos, Ceasar Gs, 686s or Ljutics and Alfermans. NRA shotgun instructor and youth h.s. team coach. Yeah, most folks I know, even shooting folks just don't know much about guns. "You made that flintlock?". " How did you make that mould". "Taper crimp"? "Lead bullets in a rifle, why?". I just sit back and enjoy and am happy to share knowledge with those who ask and want to learn. Now, if the damn gubmint will just let us enjoy our safer than most any other sport in peace.
Posted By: Ward Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21

One of the great heroes of WWII was a teacher, mentor and, in his latter years, a friend. My life would be much less without his guidance. I'm 67 and realize the supply of old guys is getting pretty low and those of us entering old age have a big responsibility in replacing them. One grandson gives me hope in his love of the outdoors but there is much less to offer him than I had available to me at his age.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
Probably better than feeling dead.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The guns, gear, boots etc are all far better now than when I was a kid. What I miss is wide open spaces w/ 1/2 the population. The guys I regularly shoot with are 1/2 my age, skilled and always eager to learn and try new stuff. I feel lucky that they want to hang w/ me.

What really sucks is trying to get good tags on a regular basis and not being able to walk uphill alll day w/ a big pack.grin

mike r

Amen.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
Its not all bad. Twice in the past year I have been in my LGS picking up a transfer gun when I looked over at the wall rack and behold one wooden-stocked scoped rifle sticking out among all the black guns. In each case, the gun was exceptionally nice and priced at about half of what it should have been. I figured some old codger traded it in on a new black gun. I bought both, sold the vintage scopes off for almost what I paid for the whole rig (one was a 26 mm Lyman Challenger), then sold one gun online for twice my purchase price. I kept the other, a 300WM tang safety Ruger 77and cleaned the bore and shot a 1" group with factory loads after 3 adjusting rounds. Like I said, its not all bad.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
My father was chief engineer gun designer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Until I was 40 I was contract engineer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Then I started buying guns,.
Working at start ups, I would go out at lunch and cruise the pawn shops for guns.
I would go to every gun show and shop for guns.

Now I am 70 and have promised the wife I will sell every gun that I will never get around to shooting.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My father was chief engineer gun designer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Until I was 40 I was contract engineer and owned; a 22, a 30-06, and a 12 gauge.

Then I started buying guns,.
Working at start ups, I would go out at lunch and cruise the pawn shops for guns.
I would go to every gun show and shop for guns.

Now I am 70 and have promised the wife I will sell every gun that I will never get around to shooting.

I've told my wife about selling some of my guns too ever since I retired and realized I don't shoot half of them anymore, esp. shotguns and handguns.
Nope we are keep them she says so when one of us dies [ meaning me] the other [her] can sell em and have some fun. LOL
Posted By: SKane Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by Windfall

Getting a little gray around the muzzle myself, so a few months back I photographed all my guns and cataloged them with a description and gave each of my sons a copy asking which of any they would like someday. Crickets. I'm afraid their idea of getting outdoors is mowing the lawn or jumping in the Polaris 1000 cc UTV and raising dust.

Windfall - drop that catalog off at my house. I know there's a few on the list that I'd like. laugh
Posted By: PPosey Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
I know the feeling, have sold half of mine in the last 5 years. Keeping what I need or ones that mean something to me, and selling the rest when prices are high. Both kids have little interest.
Posted By: PPosey Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
Also try rebuilding a 1970 muscle car motor these days, auto parts store have nothing. Summit racing is your friend.
Posted By: hatari Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21

Look at it htis way. Many of us grew up reading about sporterized Mausers and Springfields and their commercial cousins. The bolt action rifle was a battle instrument that went afield.

That is what black rifles are to the X_Y_Z generation. Heck, the AR platform was adopted almost 60 years ago.
Originally Posted by PPosey
Also try rebuilding a 1970 muscle car motor these days, auto parts store have nothing. Summit racing is your friend.

True. I had to replace the quadra-jet on my old 84 Chevrolet 4X4.
I wanted an Edelbrock with manual choke. It was a special order item. Works good though.
Our liberal public education system is taking it's toll. They preach anti-gun, anti-Christian, anti-American. Little by little our kids are learning it wrong.
Posted By: hookeye Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
I like blued steel and walnut and have dinged up a few.
Preference is for synthetic stocks these days.
Have gotten a little more clumsy as ive aged.
I wish more people didn't like guns.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Our liberal public education system is taking it's toll. They preach anti-gun, anti-Christian, anti-American. Little by little our kids are learning it wrong.

Yep that's so true, anti-hunting, anti meat eating Bambi huggers for teachers, lead is poison & gun's are bad, being a democrat is the way.
We're nothing but old farts who didn't know any better.
Posted By: las Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
I'm coming up on 74. In 10 days I'll be caribou hunting up in the mountains N. of Fairbanks.. Looks like rain.

It isn't that I can't hunt in the rain. It's the gun care afterward/during.

Wishing me for some of them there black guns with shiny-ass actions and barrels.

Best I can do for the weather is POS-wood stocked 725, blued receiver, stainless barrel.

Thinking strongly of going old school. Really old school! I mean, if it was good enough for them back in the day.....

I know where there's a nice dry cave overlooking a 400 yard slope below, ala caveman style. Not far from Trump rock. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] smile

Probably be foggy tho, with my luck.

Originally Posted by hookeye
I like blued steel and walnut and have dinged up a few.
Preference is for synthetic stocks these days.
Have gotten a little more clumsy as ive aged.

I've dinged them all up. smile
Posted By: Sycamore Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
I dont feel old as much as I feel like I am being left behind. Things are changing and I liked things better the way they were. Guns that are blued steel and walnut. Leather holsters, boots and gloves. Wool jackets. Strike anywhere matches. Canvas wall tents. Coleman lanterns that make that hissing sound. Pumping up the Coleman stove. ......

the main thing is to get out there and use the gear you like. no point having it sitting in the closet, garage or shed.

can always buy a lion tag over the counter and get out in the back country. or take a rifle along wood cutting for a possible coyote.

these will be the good old days someday, make the most of them.

Sycamore
I’m 74 and have two grown sons, ages 50 and 47. When they were in high school and college in Michigan they both hunted deer with me and were both successful. When they graduated from college they both moved to Chicago for work and got married and started families. I now have 3 grandsons ages 14,13 and 10. The two older grandsons are both tall athletic basketball players which conflicts with deer season. My granddaughter is 17 and used to shoot archery with me when she was a pre-teen. Like her brothers she became a star basketball and volleyball player and plays on an Elite volleyball squad that plays year around all over the country. My last hope is my 10 year old grandson. He is a star soccer player but has expressed an interest in shooting and hunting. I gave him (via his dad) a Match Air Rifle, a kid’s.22 single shot and a Ruger Model 1 in .223. This week he and I were watching the Olympics and I told him I could train him to be an Olympic calibre rifle shooter. I have an Anschutz 1407 and an Anschutz 1413 plus a virtually unlimited supply of Match ammo courtesy of shooting many years for the All Army Reserve Rifle Team. I was the Honor Graduate of the 1975 All Army Rifle Instructors and Coaches Clinic and have trained and coached a number of world class shooters. I became a Distinguished Rifleman over 35 years ago and have placed in a few matches at Camp Perry back in the day.
Posted By: irfubar Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/02/21
I will be 60 next month and my whole life I have had problems conversing on an intelligent level with people about guns.... very few have intimate knowledge. I don't see this as a new phenomenon
Posted By: callnum Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by irfubar
I will be 60 next month and my whole life I have had problems conversing on an intelligent level with people about guns.... very few have intimate knowledge. I don't see this as a new phenomenon

You prolly don’t know what you think you know, hence the struggle.
Posted By: irfubar Re: I am starting to feel old - 08/03/21
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by irfubar

You prolly don’t know what you think you know, hence the struggle.

I would be happy to compare bona fides with you.
© 24hourcampfire