Home
Posted By: Old_Toot Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Crepe Myrtles and weeping willows starting to brown up and drop leaves in our area. Quite a bit.

Generally don’t see this till the second or third week in September.

Also seeing some leaf browning on my hickory trees.

You guys seeing anything similar in your areas ?
Posted By: antlers Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
It’s hotter than schit in southern Colorado, and you can’t see a flippin’ thing because of all of the smoke from the big fires out west. C’mon fall and cooler weather.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by antlers
It’s hotter than schit in southern Colorado, and you can’t see a flippin’ thing because of all of the smoke from the big fires out west. C’mon fall and cooler weather.

In the mid 90s here today with 85% humidity.

Sauna stuff.
The fall out here is absolutely spectacular. Bring it...!

I generally make a trip to Durango each fall and make the Hwy 550 loop around and back via Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, Dove Creek, Cortez and back to Durango.

Beautiful drive. The Animas Valley is a sight from elevation.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Just yesterday I noticed the morning air being crisp and cool, something I haven't felt in several months. When I lived in NYC, it was always the best part of summer to have the first fall morning weather show up, which usually was in September, and Monday morning here reminded me of that.
We’ve had a few mornings in the 50s and most lately have been in the 60s but gets hot by 10 am.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Crepe Myrtles and weeping willows starting to brown up and drop leaves in our area. Quite a bit.

You are really perceptive. Where did your ancestors come from?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by Remsen
Just yesterday I noticed the morning air being crisp and cool, something I haven't felt in several months. When I lived in NYC, it was always the best part of summer to have the first fall morning weather show up, which usually was in September, and Monday morning here reminded me of that.

Was in the high forties the other day, 51 this morning I think.

Had to put on the hoodie and pants when I fed the chickens at 0545.

I noticed it just felt different.

Still smelled a little like smoke, and not from folks' wood stoves either.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Not yet up in NH. Been a very wet summer though. More heat incoming. Prob get the first fall feels in a couple/few weeks. They will be welcome.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21

You're talking Florida?
Don't you all have the latest falls in the country, no winter, followed by early spring?

The funny thing you brought it up.
Earlier this afternoon, we got a heavy rain. Cooled down just enough to get comfortable again. I walked a while and thanked the good Lord for the perfect weather that reminded me of a vacation in Florida. I kid you not.
However, I would imagine August is air conditioner, stay indoors time.

Did you get any cicadas? If it's the 17 year variety, they bore holes in branches damaging lots of young trees.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Yep. Many trees are turning a faint yellow. It is the earliest that I can remember.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Yellow jackets out in force early looking for winter surplus.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Not yet up in NH. Been a very wet summer though. More heat incoming. Prob get the first fall feels in a couple/few weeks. They will be welcome.

Very wet summer here, too, Harry. 3 times normal rainfall.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

You're talking Florida?
Don't you all have the latest falls in the country, no winter, followed by early spring?

Earlier this afternoon, we got a heavy rain. Cooled down just enough to get comfortable again. I walked a while and thanked the good Lord for the perfect weather that reminded me of a vacation in Florida. I kid you not.

Did you get any cicadas? If it's the 17 year variety, they bore holes in branches damaging lots of young trees.

Louisiana, HC.

We do have the cicadas but that’s every year.

I put up some winter bee houses and they’re already full of larvae .
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Poplars are turning here been hot and dry but look out for winter the tide will turn never fails wet summer brings mild winter dry summer brings snow
Posted By: add Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown

You are really perceptive. Where did your ancestors come from?

Suspect he is mighty ashamed to say.
Posted By: SMalloy805 Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21

I generally make a trip to Durango each fall and make the Hwy 550 loop around and back via Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, Dove Creek, Cortez and back to Durango.

You stop at Adobe milling in Dove Creek and pick up Anasazi Beans??
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Leaves were falling here in N. central Arkansas three weeks ago , been dry as a popcorn fot
Posted By: add Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
The leaves on the mulberry trees are turning yellow and falling. They are always the first to fall, but this year they seem a little early. Haven't had a rain in 3 weeks, so it that might be the reason.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by add

Forest Gump could bust that move and he was he was just a young'N
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

You're talking Florida?

Louisiana, HC.

We do have the cicadas but that’s every year.

I put up some winter bee houses and they’re already full of larvae .

Ok

That's still far south.
I just saw the holes in the ground today, which I think are the 3 year variety . It goes annual, three years and then 17 in the range the particular varieties live. They prefer certain tree species, but kill branches that will cause some leaf drop.
Since you know bees, that really is interesting how biology is often a better indicator than "science", is global warming.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Its been a hot, wet summer here in North Alabama. I am seeing the leaves on the poplars and ornamental cherries turning yellow right now.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Yep. Many trees are turning a faint yellow. It is the earliest that I can remember.

Same up here in SWVA.
Have an apple tree right out the back door and the leaves are yellow/brown, at least the ones still on it.
Usually only the locusts have turned by now.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Muscadines are early this year, as well.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Yes here in Texas Hill Country
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
The walnuts are right on time as usual here in northern Misery. They appear green from a distance but the ground is getting covered by yellowing and brown leaves. This tree loses all leaves before most other trees even show color. My mulberry trees don't yellow very early here. We are close enough to KC MO to be only a little later then them for greenup in the spring. They have two river valleys come together at the river bend of the Missouri River and the blue comes in a few miles from that. So they have a micro climate approximating that closer to Arkansas. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Seeing yellow here and there for over 2 weeks.
Originally Posted by SMalloy805

You stop at Adobe milling in Dove Creek and pick up Anasazi Beans??

Hadn’t heard of it but will do.
Much appreciate it.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The leaves on the mulberry trees are turning yellow and falling. They are always the first to fall, but this year they seem a little early. Haven't had a rain in 3 weeks, so it that might be the reason.

I have 2 persimmon trees along the creek on the west side that are loaded and bending their branches with fruit and those leaves are starting to curl and brown up a bit.

Granny Smith apple tree curling too. My peach trees are still green. Pears are browning and got a bazillion on the ground. The deer have had a few good meals off of them really liking the ones that I hit with the mower. The ones I hit yesterday are all gone this morning.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
My pumpkins already turned orange.
Maples are shedding a few leaves but not really turning.
But you can see the washed out look on a lot of stuff. The vibrant greens are fading out .
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Hot and dry in the corners of KS, MO and OK with no signs of Fall.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21

Hang on, you will see the leaves of Liberty brown up and drop off of the US shortly. tis the season evidamndently...
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
We’ve had a wetter than normal summer so far and haven’t had really hot temps except for the last week or two with only one day at 95 that I remember.
Normally our hummingbirds don’t start fighting and chasing until around mid-August but they started about three weeks to a month ago.
It seems to me that our weather really turns after a hurricane in the Gulf that gets some north winds going.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
In recent correspondence one of my German colleagues wrote:

"What's the weather like in Texas right now? Do you at least have something like a summer? In Germany it really is a catastrophe - a few nice days, a lot of rain and not particularly warm."

In light of the typical German's blind acceptance of the global warming religion I find it quite interesting.

Here in North Texas I am not seeing signs of an early Fall yet, but I have noted the rather mild summer. We usually have around 20 days (maybe more, that's my rough guess) a year that we see 100 degrees F, but I'm not sure we've seen even half that many this year.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Hot, humid and dry in Iowa. If things don't change and soon, we won't be feeding anyone this year.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by add

What's up elvis the pelvis man???🥴🤔😄

Noticed you have put him up on various post.

Being equated to the loss of american values in his public suggestive sexuality is what I get from some of the threads you have posted him on.
The start of moral decline????

Just taking a SWAG....
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Oh.....
Summer sucks the root. IMO....

Bring on the months with a R in em and the 1st 2 weeks of May.

YMMV....
Posted By: Old__School Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by RiverRider

"What's the weather like in Texas right now? Do you at least have something like a summer? In Germany it really is a catastrophe - a few nice days, a lot of rain and not particularly warm."

In light of the typical German's blind acceptance of the global warming religion I find it quite interesting.

Here in North Texas I am not seeing signs of an early Fall yet, but I have noted the rather mild summer. We usually have around 20 days (maybe more, that's my rough guess) a year that we see 100 degrees F, but I'm not sure we've seen even half that many this year.

The alarmists quit using the term "global warming" because it didn't cover all the bases. The proper term has now become "climate change" so everything can be accounted for.
- too hot... climate change
- too cold... climate change
- too wet... climate change
- too dry... climate change
- too many twisters... climate change
- no twisters... climate change
- too many hurricanes... climate change
- no hurricanes... climate change
- early duck/geese migration... climate change
- late duck/geese migration... climate change

Get the picture?

The weather patterns have been changing for eons..... the Sahara were once a lush grasslands.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Still hot but prepping for winter here. Finished the clean up around the shed this morning.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

The alarmists quit using the term "global warming" because it didn't cover all the bases. The proper term has now become "climate change" so everything can be accounted for.

Get the picture?

The weather patterns have been changing for eons..... the Sahara were once a lush grasslands.

Heh !
Much truth in this.
There is a place called Honeyville just north of Durango on Hwy. 550 and they have some great food items there.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
The way it looks and feels in South Central Mt. there won't be any fall. It has hit 90 + degrees almost every day for two-going on three months now and almost no rain for the same amount of time. There are fires going on all over the state and now the wind is blowing, and the humidity is around 10-15% . Then to top that off, everything looks dirty due to the constant smoke.
To top that . the weather forecast is more of the same for Fall

Wish you were here. grin
PS for you hunters headed to Southeastern MT. this year, there is a 160,000 acre fire still getting bigger as we speak. Largest in the state so far!

Ken

Usual Sunset----or is it Sunrise?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
It’s been an unusual summer in Michigan I wouldn’t be surprised to see an early fall or a colder than usual winter. We’ve had a handful of 90 degree days but no extended “dog days” as soon as it gets hot it drops 15-20 degrees for the highs and it’s been the wettest summer that I can remember.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
low temps in the mid to high seventies. 94 yesterday in the afternoon. Humidity over 60% at best. Tropical storm due here by the weekend. Sure don't look like fall to me.
Posted By: ScrapIron Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
cooler than i remember for August in south Texas and lots of timely rains..
we bout due for a dry spell i figured this spring it was coming but may june and july had ample rains.. when the mesquite make their beans ill know for sure the drought is here
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

Get the picture?

Nothing new to me, had that figgered out when they changed their howls from "global warming" to "climate change." These Germans, though, they like to point out some melting glaciers as proof of warming. Never mind the fact that the glaciers have been melting for several millennea.
Posted By: Teal Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Calling for the likelihood of a La Nina winter this year.
Our daily thunderstorms are back and predicted daily going forward.
There is a place called Honeyville just north of Durango on Hwy. 550 and they have some great food items there.

I’ll check it out. Usually have lunch in Silverton or Ouray.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
47 degrees yesterday morning... Plenty of free AC!
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Usually notice the first trees starting to turn last week of August- first week of Sept. here. Felt like fall a couple mornings 2-3 weeks ago. It got down into the mid 40's a couple nights. Wore a long sleeved shirt on my morning walks a few times last half of July. Many of those mornings it was in the 50's. We've only had maybe 5 or 6 days that got up to 90* so far this summer. Many days in the mid 70's - low 80's. Was 87* yesterday, got up to 89 today and it's supposed to hit 90 tomorrow and 86 Friday. After that supposed to drop back down into the low 70's for the weekend and mid 70's to 80 all next week. All in all it's been a pretty tolerable summer so far. Damned glad I don't live someplace where it's 90+ for weeks or months on end. Fuuck that.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
Yes. I'm agreeable to "climate change," and the fact that it's never been stable. I'm not convinced though that a shift from a CO² content of 0.032 to 0.042% is the root cause. Presently about 420 parts per million. We have been a little warmer than average this summer, but we've had a ton of smoke in the atmosphere for an extended period too.

Must have been a seriously hot place back in geologic time when Mother Nature was laying in our coal and oil supplies. Atmospheric carbon dioxide content link
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Early Fall ? - 08/11/21
It’s a hundred degrees here today, but there is is just a hint of fall in the air. The humidity is gone...the shadows are longer...
These are food items that you’ll wanna buy and take with you. They have different flavors of whipped mountain wildflower honey, they have regular mountain wildflower honey, they have pure mountain wildflower raw honey, you can even get honeycomb there. They have jams, jelly’s, and flavored butters...and a schit ton of other good stuff too. I usually spend a couple of C-notes there because I get stuff for my kiddos too. So you might still wanna eat lunch in Silverton or Ouray.
These are food items that you’ll wanna buy and take with you. They have different flavors of whipped mountain wildflower honey, they have regular mountain wildflower honey, they have pure mountain wildflower raw honey, you can even get honeycomb there. They have jams, jelly’s, and flavored butters...and a schit ton of other good stuff too. I usually spend a couple of C-notes there because I get stuff for my kiddos too. So you might still wanna eat lunch in Silverton or Ouray.

Yessir, I know what you’re talking about once you get into those type places.

Valley Pecans in Chillicothe, Texas on Hwy 287 is another that gets a butt load of my money for gifts. Ain’t cheap but it’s good stuff for sure.
© 24hourcampfire